PDA

View Full Version : musique concrète

subtlefury
08-12-2006, 12:03 AM
“There were a couple of little sound effects that were actually created right in the mastering room,” Ludwig adds. “It's what they used to call musique concrète, which is music made from found objects or sounds that are manipulated. The last thing on the record is one of these musique concrète sound paintings that they have.”

Joe Baresi @ http://mixonline.com/recording/projects/audio_making_tools_days/

testspecimen
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
“There were a couple of little sound effects that were actually created right in the mastering room,” Ludwig adds. “It's what they used to call musique concrète, which is music made from found objects or sounds that are manipulated. The last thing on the record is one of these musique concrète sound paintings that they have.”

Joe Baresi @ http://mixonline.com/recording/projects/audio_making_tools_days/

I read this too... I can't help but think that by "sound painting" he means that a picture was used to generate a sound, not unlike Aphex Twin's done a couple of times. Anyone with decent sound software want to see if this is true?

subtlefury
08-15-2006, 03:28 AM
"sound painting" sounds very suspicious to me too, but "music made from found objects or sounds" draws me to other conclusions, more like the "Mantra" - on lateralus, a kind of sound used for purification of your mind, like looking at mandala or sth (and here i guess the "painting" comes)?

StereoScopicLenses
08-15-2006, 08:16 AM
"sound painting" sounds very suspicious to me too, but "music made from found objects or sounds" draws me to other conclusions, more like the "Mantra" - on lateralus, a kind of sound used for purification of your mind, like looking at mandala or sth (and here i guess the "painting" comes)?

The object used in'Mantra' was a cat. What does anyone think was used to make 'Viginti Tres'?

implandnoises
08-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Dunno.

But I just listened to a recording made by the guitaist in my band. He made a piece using two bits of metal (and manipulated the sounds he recorded with them). It was awesome - hard to describe, but great.

scummonk
08-15-2006, 08:37 AM
I still don't rate this song mind.

implandnoises
08-18-2006, 11:05 PM
I still don't rate this song mind.
Oh yeah, for sure. I rate my guitarist's piece of sound manipulation much more. That said, Viginti Tres works in its proper place - at the end. It is pretty much like a slow fade out/wind down from the album as a whole. Good if you wanna hear the album from start to finish, but if you just want to hear a few songs then I wouldn't include this one.