PDA

View Full Version : Deep Thoughts

notasheep
05-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Helllll no I wouldn't want him what they mean to him any more than I want anyone else telling me what they think they mean. I don't even think he could explain what they mean to him. I just read some article and he said or it sounded like he said that he couldn't even explain what they mean in words, like they're his emotions or something and the lyrics themselves were the only way he could express them. And I've listened to TOOL for about 7 years now and out of those years, 4 of them I have spent analyzing, listening, and contemplating them everytime I listen to it so you shouldn't presume to think that I don't know what I am talking about. I have even research things like greek mythology, budhism, psychology, and other shit just to get a grasp, but all it has done is what I think it is supposed to do which is to open my mind and make me question and seek truth to everything.

And by the way, I am done with my six hours of English here at the Unversity of Oklahoma(and believe it or not I got all A's), but I don't give a shit about my spelling, engineers don't need to spell just an extensive background in physics and math.

Chris_Brightwell
05-04-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by notasheep
[...] [E]ngineers don't need to spell just an extensive background in physics and math. If you truly, honestly believe that, then you need to exercise your lack of technical proficiency in the job market and see how far it gets you.

Professional fields such as engineering, computer science, laboratory science, medicine, and a ton of other fields all require a solid foundation in, at the very least, standard English usage and mechanics.

A few examples, just for fun:

- What if you misspell a few words on your resume?

- What if you leave a sentence fragment in the design documents for the new English wing of the local university?

- What if you constantly misspell simple words ("receive" comes to mind) in emails to coworkers and superiors?

Don't think any of that matters? Just wait until you lose a few jobs due to your lax understanding and execution of the most basic rules of our language.

And yes, I did read the rest of your message. At least ... I tried to. Your general incompetence toward simple grammar made it painfully difficult to read and, as a result, I did not read all of it.

If you can't keep my attention, on the internet, for a few minutes, how do you expect to ensnare a potential employer's attention long enough to prove that you're worthy of their $40,000+ a year?

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator

notasheep
05-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Let he that hath not made any spelling mistakes cast the first stone. Good job, guy. In your extensive effort to feel cool, you fucked up yourself. I thought I was on the toolshed.down.net not haveyourgrammercritiqued.com. I award you not no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

- What if you constant misspell simple words ("receive" comes to mind) in emails to coworkers and superiors?

Chris_Brightwell
05-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Did I claim superiority? Hardly.

I was simply pointing out your flawed logic with regard to the technical aspects of written and verbal communication.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator

Lachrymologist
05-04-2003, 02:25 PM
you spelled grammar wrong in your little insult there.