PDA

View Full Version : Closing sound effect

martyrinexile86
08-10-2006, 10:12 AM
After listening to both parts of this song I still don't know what the sound at the end is supposed to be. Could be the gates of heaven shutting. Seems to fit in the context of this composition. Of course after that, the title track starts, so I'm not truly sure of the intention of the aforementioned sound effect. May be the metaphorical door shutting on her life with the next song mostly chronicling her journey to the heaven that she spent all her life trying to get to. Of course, knowing Tool and their penchent for layered meanings in their songs, I could be completly wrong on both counts.

InsolentBystander
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
You mean the sound that’s also at the end of Merkaba?

martyrinexile86
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
yeah

martyrinexile86
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
sounds kind of like a gong being struck

PriceisRight
08-15-2006, 07:41 PM
you know.....it's probably just a big dramatic sound....it's a song memoralizing a dead woman....it's just a chilling sound.

mr. nikki jensen
08-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Could be the gates of heaven shutting. Seems to fit in the context of this composition.

yea, i also thought about that. it seems to make sense in a way

fatbags75
08-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Well, At the end of WFM it makes me think of a coffin closing. The actual sound can be achieved with a detuned bass.

Me smart cuz of tOoL
08-18-2006, 12:18 PM
A friend of mine suggested that it could be a de-tuned bass string flopping around after (possibly a b string on a 5 string bass... though i don't know if Justin plays one of those) being struck. I've always thought while listening to it that it didn't sound booming enough to be a drum. AND, if you listen very closely, you can hear some sort of vibration in repetition, like a very very loose string would do against the frets.

Essentially, what fatbags said above me.

LegalizeIt
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
They are wings flapping of course

44&4
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Could possibly be a high floor-tom drum hit, with the drum mikes picking up a rattle from the snare drum. Of course it is echoed and otherwise processed as it appears throughout Wpt2. I also tend to agree with those above about the bass thing. Just trying to expand the options. The initial sound is almost (but not 100%) a drum hit, but the echoes are definitely a string or snare rattling. The only way I know to even come close to that sound otherwise is to put the boots to an amp that has spring reverb. Regardless of your volume setting, if you bang into such an amp, the result to your ears is nothing short of cataclysmic, but may sound different on tape/dat/digital, etc...

Juzblome
09-02-2006, 08:01 AM
This sound is also at the end of No Quarter.

probably one of Danny's samples.

Puzzle
09-04-2006, 12:10 AM
probably one of Danny's samples.

Exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i-jtBmpSs

jennifer_garner
09-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I think its a gong.

Chronicle0
09-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Exactly.

Ah there it is, at 1:56--- danny hits a drum and it makes the sound.

44&4
09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Have any of you who think it's a gong actually heard a gong in person?

IcaLynn
09-08-2006, 08:37 AM
the song is a eulogy, imagine maynard sitting in a dark corner of a hospital room writing while his mother sleeps in her deathbed. he then reads the euolgy and they are putting a casket in the ground. the bang at the end is just the thump as the casket hits the ground and the sparkly sound is dirt being thrown over it.

thats not what the sound really, but its what it sounds like.

EulogyCallinMe
09-09-2006, 01:09 PM
yeah its one of Danny's samples, saw it before my very eyes.

44&4
09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Yup, it's a sample. That explains it very well, kinda like describing a tiger like this-"Yup, it's a mammal!"

Although this question can be taken many ways, the 2 most relevant are this;

What does it represent?

What is the sound really?

Personally, my vote is that Danny, at the exact moments of Maynards mothers death, had his brand new (at the time) Leica-Sennheiser optical microphone pointed directly at the Gates of Heaven. (Being a member of the Illuminati, he is privy to such info..) The big booming sound is St. Peter shutting the gate, and the sound after it is a discretely let fart by aforementioned saint, as strict no-farting policies exist behind the pearly gates! Of course, in order to confuse us stupid monkeys, Danny plays them in reverse order in the sample, as well as adds a bit of pitch de-tuning and echo. Gives new meaning to "Divine Wind", doesn't it?

EulogyCallinMe
09-15-2006, 02:31 PM
hahahaha. yeah...yeah...i bet thats it, why didnt any one else think of that?

44&4
09-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Just kinda getting tired of these folks who seem to think that a sampler is some sort of miracle machine that can fabricate sounds out of thin air, or that the guys from TOOL, or NIN,(or Stinikin' Park for that matter) just think of sounds, and they magically appear. Or they think a gong makes a "thumping" sound, or that Danny is the only other guy in the band besides Maynard. Now, as anyone who knows modern musical equipment knows, samples can be triggered by ANY instrument, pedal, sequencer, etc...Saying-"Yup, it's a sample", and taking some kind of smug stance 'cuz you saw Danny hit something with a drumstick doesn't exactly inform ANYBODY of ANYTHING! A sampler is only different from your digital voicemail system in sound quality! And both need original sounds to "Sample" for playback. Saying "It's a sample." is like saying, "I'm pretty sure Maynard says something in the chorus..."

Hey geniuses, try this little query out- WHAT THE FUCK IS IT A SAMPLE OF?

IcaLynn
09-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Just kinda getting tired of these folks who seem to think that a sampler is some sort of miracle machine that can fabricate sounds out of thin air, or that the guys from TOOL, or NIN,(or Stinikin' Park for that matter) just think of sounds, and they magically appear. Or they think a gong makes a "thumping" sound, or that Danny is the only other guy in the band besides Maynard. Now, as anyone who knows modern musical equipment knows, samples can be triggered by ANY instrument, pedal, sequencer, etc...Saying-"Yup, it's a sample", and taking some kind of smug stance 'cuz you saw Danny hit something with a drumstick doesn't exactly inform ANYBODY of ANYTHING! A sampler is only different from your digital voicemail system in sound quality! And both need original sounds to "Sample" for playback. Saying "It's a sample." is like saying, "I'm pretty sure Maynard says something in the chorus..."

Hey geniuses, try this little query out- WHAT THE FUCK IS IT A SAMPLE OF?

...people are idiots.

no one praise justin chancellor. i hear stuff about danny or adam and especially maynard all the time, but never "justin chancellor is my hero!" hell, he was better than paul d'armour. justin is still part of tool, but he doesnt get credit for anything. ...poor justin.

44&4
09-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Amen brother/sister! I think that people kinda forget that it, (TOOL) is a band of 4 individuals. When they get together, magic happens. I honestly cannot think of a song, segue, etc...that would benefit from them doing anything different. What you hear on the CDs and live is what they meant! Could Adam be more technically proficient as a guitar player? Who knows, and more importantly, who cares? He does what is right for the song, and the mood/ambience THEY are trying project. Same with all of them. I know that each member has their fans, and they usually are very vocal about who says or does what, but you are listening to TOOL, not Justin, Adam, Maynard, and Danny! The whole is greater than the 4 parts. Can anyone imagine any TOOL song where Adam does a Yngwie Malmsteem style classical guitar shredfest would make it a better song? Or Justin ripping out some Billy Sheehan riffs on his bass? Completely unnecessary! Even in his most furious drum pounding, Danny still plays to the song he's playing. Some people like to compare Danny to Neal Peart of Rush, but I kinda find Peart's drumming overdone, almost masturbatory.

The short answer is this- I know the pieces fit, because TOOL does. They do what's right for their music, instead of showboating. All this, and another thing some folks need to keep in mind is that they're still "just" humans.

IcaLynn
09-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Amen brother/sister! I think that people kinda forget that it, (TOOL) is a band of 4 individuals. When they get together, magic happens. I honestly cannot think of a song, segue, etc...that would benefit from them doing anything different. What you hear on the CDs and live is what they meant! Could Adam be more technically proficient as a guitar player? Who knows, and more importantly, who cares? He does what is right for the song, and the mood/ambience THEY are trying project. Same with all of them. I know that each member has their fans, and they usually are very vocal about who says or does what, but you are listening to TOOL, not Justin, Adam, Maynard, and Danny! The whole is greater than the 4 parts. Can anyone imagine any TOOL song where Adam does a Yngwie Malmsteem style classical guitar shredfest would make it a better song? Or Justin ripping out some Billy Sheehan riffs on his bass? Completely unnecessary! Even in his most furious drum pounding, Danny still plays to the song he's playing. Some people like to compare Danny to Neal Peart of Rush, but I kinda find Peart's drumming overdone, almost masturbatory.

The short answer is this- I know the pieces fit, because TOOL does. They do what's right for their music, instead of showboating. All this, and another thing some folks need to keep in mind is that they're still "just" humans.

im a sister
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/IcaLynn222/Ica07resized02.jpg

im kinda sick of hearing that "maynard is God" if you go to songmeanings.net, theres people there who think he is a prophet. kinda sickening.
one of the best things about these guys is that they know they are talented and people do worship them, but they make use of that. they arent always in the public eye and they probably never will be. they hide from that, and its a beautiful thing that they do. its endearing in a way.

44&4
09-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Well sis, (and a nice looking one at that!) did you know that Maynard invented the mohawk? Just kidding. That's my whole point!

In my above post, I may have been a little rough on the guys talking about seeing Danny trigger the sample. Now, as I've stated before, I think it's a drum hit with some extra ambient noise. The extra noise is the sample, and if they used it live, I sure didn't hear it, but that's irrelevant. What I saw at the Mpls. show was Danny hitting something, (certainly not a gong btw!) that sounded exactly like a really hard floor-tom hit, and no rattling echoing sound afterwards, but that doesn't matter, as live, you can't always hear everything. Just wanted to get back on topic, we kinda wandered a little.

Vecromatica
09-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Wasn't it already said to be a gong drum?

44&4
09-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Lynn, I'm sorry to hear about your mom! As far as what the sound means (ie, the abstract sense), I prefer the whole "Gates of Heaven" thing. It lends the song and sentiment closure, but with a more positive twist, and it doesn't matter what religion you do or do not follow, pretty much all beliefs incorporate such a place. When I first heard the song, it reminded me of of my grandmother.(Marie also, btw) Some people deserve access, some don't, and some of us might have to work at it....

Vecromatica
09-29-2006, 03:41 PM
no idiot! didnt you read it? does it even sound like a gong to you?

i much prefer to think of it in an abstract sense. the dirt thing sticks in my mind. everytime i hear that last bang, my heart stops. i start to tear up, too. i just lost my mom in july and this song would be perfect for her. ...she was cremated though.

RIP<3

Gong =/= Gong drum.

44&4
10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I think it's a "Liger", oh wait, a Liger actually exists!

Gong drum= Science Fiction!

iAMtheMA!
10-03-2006, 05:11 AM
the sounds comes around to a "coil"-like action. could this be the release of judith marie's mortal coil?

IcaLynn
10-05-2006, 08:59 AM
sounds more twinkly to me

Kangaroo_hung_me2
05-21-2007, 06:58 AM
"Hey geniuses, try this little query out- WHAT THE FUCK IS IT A SAMPLE OF?"

Ok, so. I saw a video on youtube of Maynard in a studio shooting a piano. The boom could be the gunfire, and the coiling could be the piano wire. He had alread shot it several times, and Danny was beating the shit out of it, so the other wires may have been broken or de-tuned, causing the lower tone of vibration. It was an older video, but as others said, they've used the sample before, so could be it.

Does this make me a genius?

TWENTY-THREE
05-23-2007, 08:11 PM
That reminds me. . .

Cheesegreater
05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Okay, picture this if you will.

People should know that snare drums have little metal chains stretched across them. When you hit the snare directly, you really don't hear the rattle, it just produces a more pundgent sound all together. Well, when you hit another drum piece, sometimes it'll produce a frequency that makes those chains rattle. Therefor, you don't even hit the drum head that produces the sound. It's produced by the tiny chains over the snare rattling due to a massive hit from another drum.

toolwithapenis
05-28-2007, 07:43 PM
^^hes not lying
its especially true if you have your snares really loose
or if you broke and have a shitty snare drum like me
i dont think the seconds the case with DC

SpeiranVaun
08-17-2007, 06:50 AM
has anyone noticed that when you hear the "slam" in the song, it happens on the 11th beat after the riff starts?

rrobb911
09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
It's a coffin closing.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Exactly.

I might be going out on a limb here but just hear me out. This video i noticed that maynard, adam and justin are all surrounding danny like they are becoming close for this emotional moment...Obviously playing WFM. When danny hits his drumkit to make the "Coffin closing" sound, maynard then says "we'll see you on the other side" Do you think that he is referring to his mother after playing Wings and that he will see judith again on the other side/after death? I dont know maybe im just "over thinking" this but it came to my mind. He also says "we'll see you on the other side" during the intro to pushit on salival. Or maybe maynard is just speaking to the fans that he will see them on the other side after lateralus like he did on pushit? i dont know maybe im just crazy. haha Cheers.

St. Alphonso
10-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I've listened to this quite a bit in the past few months and I interpret the sound as a representation of the finality of death, end of life, or simply a coffin closing. When my grandfather died, the days between his death and the funeral were incredibly difficult as I was comming to terms with the fact that he was no longer here. When I hear that THUMP in the song, it evokes the emotions I was feeling during my grandfather's funeral. -Just my 2 cents.

Carny_Handles
10-21-2007, 12:07 AM
"Hey geniuses, try this little query out- WHAT THE FUCK IS IT A SAMPLE OF?"

Ok, so. I saw a video on youtube of Maynard in a studio shooting a piano. The boom could be the gunfire, and the coiling could be the piano wire. He had alread shot it several times, and Danny was beating the shit out of it, so the other wires may have been broken or de-tuned, causing the lower tone of vibration. It was an older video, but as others said, they've used the sample before, so could be it.

Does this make me a genius?

you dont own undertow do you.

I always thought the sound was representive of the moment of death.

dmurf
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I've been running with this song playing for days now on my iPod, and the thing that gets me at the end is the repetition of the bass - extremely Rodger Watersish (which I suppose makes sense since the few songs are Floydesque in that respect). Don't ask me why, but I've been getting the impression of medical machines. "Oh! I see you have the machine that goes 'PING!' That's our most expensive one!" But it's burried so deep into the mix, and it happens so late in the song, it almost seems like an after thought - more like an afterimage, if you catch my drift..

Kangaroo_hung_me2
02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
you dont own undertow do you.

I always thought the sound was representive of the moment of death.

yes,but not the cd. care to explain?

Angel on the Sideline
02-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Okay, I'm about two years late on this topic ...

The sound Danny hitting a gong. And, yes, it's symbolic of the closing of Judith Marie's life on earth. It's the door to life closing ... 10K days is about her journey to heaven.

Master_Of_Nothing
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
...people are idiots.

no one praise justin chancellor. i hear stuff about danny or adam and especially maynard all the time, but never "justin chancellor is my hero!" hell, he was better than paul d'armour. justin is still part of tool, but he doesnt get credit for anything. ...poor justin.

We don't need to pay tribute to justin, we all know deep inside us that he is the man. Need we say more? I think not

Rolo
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
We don't need to pay tribute to justin

Tool does so by covering "Peach" songs.

Master_Of_Nothing
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Rolo
02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
On topic: I'm pretty well convinced the sound in question is somekind of gate that's closing. It suits my opinion in the meaning of both wings/10k. In which i think wings handles before Judith-Marie finally passes on to her heavenly journey.

Master_Of_Nothing
02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I always thought it of a thunderclap, having listened to the youtube version before getting the CD. You know the file with the mean as glowing background (NOT live)?

Rolo
03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Could you link that for me?

Master_Of_Nothing
03-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Nah my computer hate the youtube site now, freezes everytime.
Just search for wings for marie pt 1 and you should get it

Master_Of_Nothing
03-26-2008, 01:41 PM
hmmmm.... you mean that for all her faithfulness, she's not allowed into heaven?
I've always looked on the song as Judith getting sainthood, being allowed into heaven. But i realise now that the song never actually said that. She may have missed out?

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know, I don't really see it as being something like that. I see it more as her demanding her due for being a true believer and truly faithful to the extent that most of the others of her religion ever could be, and that due would naturally be quite higher.

Exactly...hence "give me my, give me my, give me my wiiinggggss".

The two part song is all about Judith having been such a devouted believer even throughout all her pain and turmoil (her God allowed, in Maynard's eyes) and after roughly 10,000 days of suffering when she finally passed Maynard's singing in her point of view saying "okay, I've stayed true and believed in you and had faith even throughout all my pain and turmoil..now you had better give me my goddamn wings..I earned them goddamnit"

...or something along those lines

Rolo
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, something like that...without the "goddamnit"-part, imo ;)

now you had better give me my goddamn wings

GOD: No fuckin' way...

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, something like that...without the "goddamnit"-part, imo ;)

GOD: No fuckin' way...

Well, you catch the point

goddamnit

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2008, 12:16 PM
goddamnit

Also, wings themselves would be a higher reward than the norm, given the fact that in the canon of Christian mythology, humans and angels are two seperate races of beings, and humans do not become angels upon rising to heaven, despite popular connotation.

Yeah, I'd be demanding my goddamn horns anyway

Rolo
03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Be careful what you wish for...

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Be careful what you wish for...

I'd sell my soul for a good plate of nachos right about now

Rolo
03-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Depents on the size of that plate, i guess.

Master_Of_Nothing
03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
McDonalds Worker: Ok that'll be $2.99 and one soul please.

Fast Food = Devil
but eat it anyway lol

Brothomstate
04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Heaps of journalists say its a coffin closing. I read that and that's what it's been ever since to my ears.

Could it be his explosion of anger...?

Inner_Eulogy
04-02-2008, 09:21 AM
duh-uh

Rolo
04-02-2008, 12:20 PM
A coffin closing? Hmmm, i'm not sure. It's a bit disrespectful to close it that loud, imo.

Master_Of_Nothing
04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Almost as though someone was eager to get rid of her. Nah it seems more like door closing imo, but not the gates of heaven

Master_Of_Nothing
04-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Could be Maynard slamming the door after recording so he can cry his eyes out?

Rolo
04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Inbetween? Nah.

Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
He wanted to hide the fact that he was wearing mascara during the recording
Who wouldn't?

Emo's......The Mexicans have the right of it

Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
WW3- EMO's vs the rest of the world.

And the best thing is, they want it!
Die pezza di merda!!!

Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:34 PM
AMEN.

Inner_Eulogy
04-07-2008, 09:26 AM
LMAO....fuckin' Eskimos

Inner_Eulogy
04-08-2008, 09:47 AM
*southernaccent*Yew bein raysist boi?

Nah, it was an attempt at humor considering I know emo doesn't stand for eskimo.....yeah

Master_Of_Nothing
04-11-2008, 10:05 PM
emoskas? emo + ska?
So thats where they get the cuts from