PDA

View Full Version : Think for Yourself

notasheep
05-02-2003, 11:32 PM
No wonder Maynard won’t explain his lyrics. Most of you take want he and they say out of context to sound like your the most ingenious person on this discussion board. I not trying to cut anyone down, but the ones of you that I am talking about are just like the people Maynard is talking about when he said something about Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, etc. had some good things to say(he said it before playing Opiate at a concert in Huston), but the problem was their agents, the people that followed them, were fucked up and they twisted what they had to say to profit themselves somehow. You people I am talking about are who make others think that TOOL and other bands are satanic or whatever, when you try to explain what you think is being said. Now, because many people think the are satanic or just weird, they will not have the chance to open themselves up and change their lives to seek enlightenment like I and many other TOOL fans I know have, because they think they are satanic. This whole idea of having a discussion board about TOOL lyrics and stuff is an oxymoron. I’m pretty sure that Maynard has said or tried to relate that you should think for yourself and use the music to do something great. Not to sit there and try to figure out what the words mean to Maynard, but to figure out what the words mean to yourself. Now I know some of you will take this as blow to your IQ, and you will respond with big words and talk shit about my sentence structure and twist what I say, but all I am doing is stating the obvious.

D/R/T
05-02-2003, 11:56 PM
good point.

Matter Specter
05-03-2003, 07:06 PM
i agree people missunderstand the lyrics and THINK they know .... but i also beleave that you can KNOW what the lyrics actualy where intended to be, but in any attempt to explain them they would then again be missunderstood as the song itself in the first place ....

reign3
05-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Do us all a favor notasheep. Learn to spell. I have a hell of a time reading your shit.

You're looking into this too much. Look where you are at! A Tool discusion board in the section where people talk about what they think the songs mean. None of us know what Maynard's lyrics are about, but we try our best to interpret them. I'll admit, there are a lot of incredibly stupid people on this board. And what surprises me more is that there are a lot of narrow minded people on here. You would think that since this is a Tool forum, people would be more open minded. But a lot of people in here come up with some crazy idea as to what the song is about and shoot anybody down who says they're wrong.

And this place IS the reason Maynard won't tell us exactly what his lyrics are about! But not for the reason you gave. You make it sound as if Maynard would be disgusted by reading this. I'm sure a few of the ideas thrown around here would repulse anybody. But if I were Maynard, I would feel good about myself because of what people write in here. People are able to take Tool lyrics and make them mean something to them individualy. Usualy that something is very positive and can help that person. If it helps, why is it bad? How is that wrong?

The only thing that bugs me is the narrow minded people in here who come up with crazy ideas for what the songs mean and have to real reason for it. There's a lack common sense I do believe.

I suggest going to the Socialize or Letters forum once in a while if you haven't already. If you want to better yourself, those are the two places I would recomend the most.

notasheep
05-03-2003, 10:21 PM
You just proved my point in last lines of my post, guy. My spelling is irrelavent to anything I am saying. But I guess you must boost your feelings by trying to bash my IQ or my open mindedness. If you want to bash IQ's then I would hide the fact that you work at McDonald's, it leaves you too vulnerable. I am just relaying what I have read and heard Maynard say about his music and his beliefs. If you'll go back and read my message with enough of an open mind to get past my spelling mistakes, you will find that this is all I am saying.Originally posted by reign3
Do us all a favor notasheep. Learn to spell. I have a hell of a time reading your shit.

You're looking into this too much. Look where you are at! A Tool discusion board in the section where people talk about what they think the songs mean. None of us know what Maynard's lyrics are about, but we try our best to interpret them. I'll admit, there are a lot of incredibly stupid people on this board. And what surprises me more is that there are a lot of narrow minded people on here. You would think that since this is a Tool forum, people would be more open minded. But a lot of people in here come up with some crazy idea as to what the song is about and shoot anybody down who says they're wrong.

And this place IS the reason Maynard won't tell us exactly what his lyrics are about! But not for the reason you gave. You make it sound as if Maynard would be disgusted by reading this. I'm sure a few of the ideas thrown around here would repulse anybody. But if I were Maynard, I would feel good about myself because of what people write in here. People are able to take Tool lyrics and make them mean something to them individualy. Usualy that something is very positive and can help that person. If it helps, why is it bad? How is that wrong?

The only thing that bugs me is the narrow minded people in here who come up with crazy ideas for what the songs mean and have to real reason for it. There's a lack common sense I do believe.

I suggest going to the Socialize or Letters forum once in a while if you haven't already. If you want to better yourself, those are the two places I would recomend the most.

reign3
05-03-2003, 10:48 PM
You don't seem to get my point. And get past the spelling thing! I'm not bashing you. It makes it difficult to understand what you're saying when I'm not able to read it (make sense?)

Do you really want Maynard to tell you what his lyrics mean? If so, then you aren't seeing the big picture. You need to take the time to listen closely, and analyze it. Research it, and think about it some more. I couldn't tell from your post if you wanted Maynard to come out and say what his lyrics are about. Some people DO want that. That's just instant-gratification. Anything that is given has no value. It should be earned. And if Maynard DID come out and give away every little detail about his lyrics, that could potentialy crush a lot of people who thought the words meant something totaly different.

Again. I'm not bashing you on your spelling or your IQ. I just made a little comment about your shitty spelling. I honestly can't desicpher what it is you're saying. You apparently aren't able to connect thoughts together very well. That makes it difficult to get your point across. Try paying attention in your english class a little more closely.

EDIT-

And why is this thread in the "Grudge" section? It's not about the song. The Lateralus Album section would be a better place for this. Maybe even Socialize. Again...I'm not bashing you, just trying to help you out.

ry.
05-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by reign3

Do you really want Maynard to tell you what his lyrics mean? If so, then you aren't seeing the big picture. You need to take the time to listen closely, and analyze it. Research it, and think about it some more. I couldn't tell from your post if you wanted Maynard to come out and say what his lyrics are about. Some people DO want that. That's just instant-gratification. Anything that is given has no value. It should be earned. And if Maynard DID come out and give away every little detail about his lyrics, that could potentialy crush a lot of people who thought the words meant something totaly different.

i'd like to know what the lyrics mean, just out of curiousity though. i'd still retain my "application" of the song to my life, it would just be interesting to hear what the songs are really about.

anyways, the opinions section is not about finding the "true" meanings of the songs. it is to share ideas, and open yourself up to ideas you maybe didnt catch yourself.

Flojob
05-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ry.
anyways, the opinions section is not about finding the "true" meanings of the songs. it is to share ideas, and open yourself up to ideas you maybe didnt catch yourself.

agreed athough i like not knowing what maynard thinks, or any other member of the band for that matter because by not knowing what they think you really have to think, and thinking without influence from the ones that came up with songs is great because i have learned a lot about myself, and what is really important to me.

FlamingEye
05-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by notasheep
Not to sit there and try to figure out what the words mean to Maynard, but to figure out what the words mean to yourself.

Yes I agree with that. I think that is exactly what Maynard want's Tool fans to do, but it's still fun to try to figure out what the song is really about too. And no, I don't want Maynard to tell the fans what the lyrics really mean. That would just ruin all the mystery about the band.

reign3
05-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by FlamingEye
And no, I don't want Maynard to tell the fans what the lyrics really mean. That would just ruin all the mystery about the band.

Thank you. One of the things that makes Tool so great is the element of mystery. We hardly know anything about the individual members. In other bands, you'll see their faces in magazines and shit that tell every little detail of their life. Tool isn't like that. Look at all the symbology that is associated with Tool, there's another mystery. The lyrics are a mystery. That's why you need to "Think for yourself" (happy notasheep? i used your phrase) and find out for yourself what everything means. In this forum, I'd say most of us are doing what Maynard would want us to do. That is, discuss the lyrics, the music, the philosophy and bring something out of it all that is positive and creative. Read the piece of the article that pops up when you come to the opinions section. There's the answer to it all right there.