PDA

View Full Version : H. and what it means to me

wmgaretjax
11-25-2002, 02:50 AM
I have this song figured out, at least figured out as far as I want it to apply to me…

The song isn’t about any kind of relationship, it’s about looking at who you really are, not liking it, so trying to change it. The song is written from the perspective of a person who is part way through the process. He is beginning to put his old self behind and embrace the new, and at the conclusion of the song, he’s successfully done it, but as a result a part of him has died with what he’s left behind.

“What's coming through is alive.
What's holding up is a mirror.”

This is referring to his reflection, or, who he’s becoming, what’s he’s changing to be.

“But what's singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn this piss to wine.”

The snake is his old self… And the piss is who he was, the wine is who he’s becoming.

As it goes on, it describes his suffering in separating from what he’s been for so long, it’s obviously a painful process to change yourself so dramatically. That's largely insinuated by the "considerately killing me" part, both sides are suffocating him because he can't quite grab hold of what is in front.

"Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down".

It's finally happened, he's managed to put it all behind him.

"And the snake is drowned and
As I look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.

I could have cried then.
I should have cried then."

He looks at what he used to be and finally has the assurance that it's all going to be ok.

"And as the walls come down and
As I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times
I have died
and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind."

He then looks into the eyes(into the mirror) of what he's become, and realizes that with his change came sacrifice, a part of him died.

Anyways, my attempt to grab this wonderful song, it applies a lot to me, so this interpretation will definately work for now.

okkoto
11-25-2002, 10:52 AM
i like this idea considering that jimmy has a similar theme as well as 46&2 but i really like the inupretation stating that this song is about maynard and his son.

wmgaretjax
11-25-2002, 03:08 PM
yeah it could go either way, consider H. is Maynard's real middle initial as well...