PDA

View Full Version : parabol, parabola, lateralus, third eye, and rosetta stoned

simplydaman87
08-05-2006, 01:04 PM
i have an idea, first of all, of what parabol/parabola is about, second, why the hell the names are what they are, and third, how they connect to third eye, lateralus, and rosetta stoned.

i believe that parabol and parabola are both, in short, a continuation of the conversation that takes place between the protagonist and "god" for lack of a better word in third eye. i believe that maynard is using the experience he describes in both pieces as a parable. the guy achieves enlightenment, opens his third eye, and then comes back to earth in parabola. up and back down, hence the parabola.

i think if i write the lyrics with which character i believe is speaking them this will make more sense. i'll use parentheses to comment a lot haha. also, i'll also give the character the name john arbitrarily.

john: "so familiar (but the eyes seem so familiar) and overwhelmingly warm, this one this form i hold now. embracing you, this reality here--this one, this form i hold now (the one and the form is oneness with "god", the third eye open)...so wide eyed and hopeful...wide eyed and hopefully wild. we barely remember what came before this precious moment...choosing to be here, right now. hold on, stay inside this body, holding me, reminding me that i am not alone in this body...makes me feel eternal all this pain is an illusion."

"god": "we barely remember, who or what came before this precious moment. we are choosing to be here. (using the same words as when the third eye is open we are all one mind, right?) right now. hold on, stay inside this holy reality (the oneness). this holy experience."

john: "choosing to be here in this body, this body holding me. (saying no to what "god" just asked of him) be my reminder here that i am not alone in this body, this body holding me. (asking for "god" and this experience to guide him on earth) feeling eternal, all this pain is an illusion. (struggling with his decision) alive in this holy reality, this holy experience. (still struggling, but now...concretely, triumphantly and loudly as expressed in the music) choosing to be here in this body, this body holding me! be my reminder here that i am not alone in this body, this body holding me! feeling eternal, all this pain is an illusion!" (now, knowing that the pain is an illusion, normal life will be different)

maynard: "[i am] twirling round with this familiar parable [which is] spinning, weaving round each new experience."

maynard, speaking to you: "recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing. this body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. embrace this moment, remember: we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion." (live with the parable in mind and you will get the most out of your life..."repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of its fleeting time here)

i hope that all made sense. now, lateralus and rosetta stoned. after being exposed to this idea, the parable, you have two options. remember, or forget. lateralus, or rosetta stoned. spiral out or shit the bed AGAIN ("i don't wanna be all alone when i tell this story"..."be my reminder here that i am not alone")

sorry to be absurdly long but tool is complicated haha.

inSin
08-05-2006, 07:30 PM
you are over analyzing it

simplydaman87
08-05-2006, 09:07 PM
there's too many paralells between the songs for this idea to not even be plausible, and there has to be a reason why the song is called parabola

(self(other
08-12-2006, 08:55 AM
"god": "we barely remember, who or what came before this precious moment. we are choosing to be here. (using the same words as when the third eye is open we are all one mind, right?) right now. hold on, stay inside this holy reality (the oneness). this holy experience."

john: "choosing to be here in this body, this body holding me. (saying no to what "god" just asked of him) be my reminder here that i am not alone in this body, this body holding me. (asking for "god" and this experience to guide him on earth) feeling eternal, all this pain is an illusion. (struggling with his decision) alive in this holy reality, this holy experience. (still struggling, but now...concretely, triumphantly and loudly as expressed in the music) choosing to be here in this body, this body holding me! be my reminder here that i am not alone in this body, this body holding me! feeling eternal, all this pain is an illusion!" (now, knowing that the pain is an illusion, normal life will be different)

I really enjoyed this idea even though I wasnt understanding this part. So John's third eye was open, now it is closed once more and he is declining the offer to open it again?

I guess thats tieing in with being divine and still be a human for some purpose.

good stuff

simplydaman87
08-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I really enjoyed this idea even though I wasnt understanding this part. So John's third eye was open, now it is closed once more and he is declining the offer to open it again?

I guess thats tieing in with being divine and still be a human for some purpose.

good stuff

i remember reading in something about all that 7 chakra stuff that supposedly when you reach the seventh one, or the third eye, you come back down to the 4th or 5th or something, or at least that you don't just stay with your third eye open forever. if i'm remembering that correctly at all then that phenomenon could be what is going on with "john"

cold and faded anger
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
i agree with inSin, your overanalyzing. the song has to deal climbing up sand dunes...(metaphor)

The Tower That Ate People
08-26-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't think that is what the is about either. Sorry, but those explanations does not work for me.

Seems to like everybody is talking about the third eye (in general not the track) when analyzing Maynards lyrics. Why is that? I would dare to believe there is more to it, than just the third eye. :)

ToolKlouD
09-19-2006, 02:06 PM
lol im coming back to read all this!

one_reflection
09-20-2006, 04:53 AM
I always thought a typical parabola went down with the sunken bit at teh bottom and then rose up again. I know you can have an 'upside-down' parabola.. but oh dear I hated calculus. I just know the parabolas that i could draw were down-up and the not-so-normal ones were up-down..

Enough. I do not know if this holds significance (apart from my loathing of anything maths).

8moremucscles
10-02-2006, 11:56 AM
you are over analyzing it

I also think that you may be over analyzing it. Although I do agree with some of what you said. You've heard that we all make the choice to be here on earth right? That when we choose to inherit a body, our "third eye" closes and we forget, or " we barely remember, who or what came before this precious moment. CHOOSING to be here, right now..." Thats my take on it anyways.

maygasm
10-02-2006, 02:21 PM
i agree with you, thats the most succint way i've heard of putting in anyhow. We should all learn to live in these precious moments not overthink them or we will simply miss them.

dont forget people: "over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."

Nova_
10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
dont forget people: "over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."

holy hell, i've never heard that before. yay!

Solaris
10-03-2006, 03:45 AM
up and back down, hence the parabola.

I don't think you're right with that. First, a parable goes down and back up. Second, I think that it has to do with the infinity of the parable. When we draw a parable, we only draw the center of a geometric figure that could be continued until eternity on both of it's sides. Of course you can't draw an infinite line, but if you could, you could draw a "real" parable with infinite "arms". I think the song is named Parabola because of this infinity ( remember: WE ARE ETERNAL, all this pain is an illusion)

Ithinkformyself
10-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Quick math thing I have to say then I will get on with my real point: A parabola can either open up or open down. Depending on whether the coefficient of the x squared term is positive or negative. If it is positive the plane crosses the top of the cone, if it is negative then the plane is crossing the bottom of the cone. It doesnt go up then down or down then up. But then again this is a rather anal approach to what you said.

Maybe Maynard thought of it as going up and then down, this I obviously dont know. What I do know is that this song to me, I stress the word me, Is that during those times of pain that shape us into what we are; we are becoming more eternal. Eventually our mortal lives will end and our spirit will continue on taking with it that pain. I believe this song is about personal pain and loss, but staying positive knowing that the illusion of the pain will help us to store the lessons learned eternally.