PDA

View Full Version : Nature vs. nurture

Garguantua
08-05-2006, 06:15 AM
I really get the vibe that this song is actually a preamble to Right in Two.

"Pure as we begin...pure as we come in"

I think he's talking about being born guileless and innocent.

I think he's saying that human nature is directed by our surroundings. The bad side of human nature as well as the good. It's the big theme of this record, I believe. Human nature. Good and bad.

I think every song is a study in human nature.

But Intension I believe, is about the the empty canvas that we are as newborns. Waiting to have our natures painted on.

I think the sadness comes from knowing that the vast majority of the painters taking these new canvases are fucking them up and wasting them.

æmoeba•°·.
08-05-2006, 07:02 AM
In fact, I think the lyrics are, "Pure as we begin...Pure as we commend."

Commend makes more sense for the more "nurtured" part of the topic you were pointing out, and I agree with it, slightly. Take care.

Semi-Off Track: Give another listen to find it's "commend".

-Andrew

Garguantua
08-05-2006, 09:19 AM
In fact, I think the lyrics are, "Pure as we begin...Pure as we commend."

Commend makes more sense for the more "nurtured" part of the topic you were pointing out, and I agree with it, slightly. Take care.

Semi-Off Track: Give another listen to find it's "commend".

-Andrew

Haha. Perhaps. But I think the consensus is "Pure as we come in."

It makes more sense as a line and with everything else.

æmoeba•°·.
08-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Definition of "Commend" :

1. To represent as worthy, qualified, or desirable; recommend.
2. To express approval of; praise. See Synonyms at praise.
3. To commit to the care of another; entrust.

Really and truthfully, I didn't think it that hard to hear at all, you might want to take a listen. (Sorry if this comes across as "hasty", I'm only suggesting.) Take care.

-Andrew

Garguantua
08-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Ok, this thread is getting off track. It was not my intention to argue about what the actual lyrics are.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Dredg
08-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Pure as we begin. Pure as we come in.
Pure as we begin. Move by will alone.

amoeba: saying "commend" is dishonest because there is no reason to believe that humans are worthy or desirable. If you listened to the album, then you would know that Maynard refers to the Universe as being impersonal and not caring or entrusting.

The point of this song is that human beings emerged just like the rest of the natural universe, except humans are able to percieve and be aware. The result of this emergence is hard on humans because we are a product of a chaotic and confusing system (the universe). It is up to humans to use the tool of consciousness to expand upon reality even though we have absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING OF IT. Right in two illustrates how humans are not using consciousness as a tool to expand and understand reality.

æmoeba•°·.
08-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I apologize for my suggestion, take care.

-Andrew

Dredg
08-07-2006, 10:47 AM
I apologize for my suggestion, take care.

-Andrew

hehe nothing to add or change?