PDA

View Full Version : mythology and Tool

evilentity
11-24-2002, 11:30 PM
Interpretations of The Grudge can include connections to the succession myth in Greco-Roman mythology-- that of Saturn devouring his children.

Has anyone found other references to mythology in Tool's songs? If so, I'd love to hear your comments.

(P.S. I'd also welcome discussion of mythology in APC's songs too.)

sloppyc
11-25-2002, 03:02 PM
definitely (Greek) mythology is apc tunes, but i haven't really applied any to any Tool songs tho - not to say it can't be done, they're all pretty open to interpretation.

Orestes was the son of Agamemnon(sp?) (he led the Greeks in the seige of Troy for those that haven't read 'The Iliad'). Agamemnon was killed by his wife (actually my memory is a bit hazy on this myth - she was responsible for his death in any case), and Orestes has to kill his mom to avenge his dad (hence the "sever this umbilical residue that's keeping me from killing you" line.)

the other one that i've seen is in 'the Hollow'. the myth that is seems to relate to is as follows: king minos on crete asked poseidon for a bull to sacrifice. when poseidon produced one for him, minos coveted it for himself, and sacrificed one of his own in its stead. poseidon was angry at this and caused his wife paciphae (sp?) (pacify) to become infatuated with the bull (crazy old greeks and their bestiality). anyhoot, paciphae created a hollowed-out cow that she could sit in, that the bull would be attracted to... so it would fuck her and her hungering would be pacified. anyway the offspring of this was the minotaur, who was imprisioned in the labyrinth built by daedalus.