PDA

View Full Version : The Prophecy (1995)

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
except for that silly red-headed Eric kid this is a reasonably good movie with a unique slant to it (and a great role by Chris Walken as the Archangel Gabriel "Study your math, kids. Key to the Universe.")...

Right in Two alludes to this film in more than one way. Nothing resounding, really, but perhaps some insight into where they idea for the song may have come from...

forgive me for my laziness if this has been brought up already.

so sayeth Lucifer "Humans... and how I love you talking monkeys for this... know more about war and treachery of the spirit than any angel."

Aunt Acid
08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't think that movie was the first thing to ever call humans talking monkeys in that kind of sense.

rochey-o
08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
darwin d00d

ObiJohnKenobi
08-03-2006, 07:00 AM
I don't think that movie was the first thing to ever call humans talking monkeys in that kind of sense.

...hence the "in more than one way" bit. The "talking monkey" references are, perhaps, the easiest to see but there are others...

Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 12:25 AM
What are the other ways?

ObiJohnKenobi
08-04-2006, 12:21 PM
the premise of the movie is a good starting point

the idea that some of the angels (Gabriel and company), in their disgust for the gifts that God had given the humans (free will, souls, etc...), had stepped off of the sidelines to actively take part...

the idea that, in this movie, angels are portrayed as asexual/hermaphroditic while humans have both male and female counterparts (right in two?)...

the main character's history,even, sounds a little familiar... a man whose background is steeped in religion, but he has since turned his focus to a much more different lifestyle.

anyway, i'm not saying that there is a direct, 100% correlation here - right in two and the movie diverge significantly - but there are certainly enough similarities to warrant it being in the back of someone's mind while the song was being created

plus, i get all giddy with the amount of supposition found riddled through these threads that i just had to make a go of it... i'm also quite sure i'm not the 1st to have mentioned this.

Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Nice.

ObiJohnKenobi
08-04-2006, 02:17 PM
same to you!

~mish
08-05-2006, 11:40 AM
The Prophecy trilogy was great but not the first reference of "talking monkeys".

ObiJohnKenobi
08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
...but not the first reference of "talking monkeys".

that's twice now its been clearly specified that this is not the first time "talking monkeys" has been used, but i'm still no closer to finding the specific reference to the movie being the first ever time this phrase was used....

i know i didn't say it.