PDA

View Full Version : Radio Edit of "The Pot" - since when is "pissed" a cuss word?

Andorion
08-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I've heard this a couple times on the radio now (KROQ in LA) and I'm confused. They play the following line unedited:

Foot in mouth and head up asshole
What ya talkin' 'bout?

However, the following line is edited in some way, I can't make out what Maynard's saying:

When you pissed all over my black kettle

Why the hell would they edit out "pissed," especially in this context - the line that makes the title of the song? Has anyone else heard this, on this or any other stations? Any idea what the edit is, is it really a new line sung by Maynard for the "cleaned up" version? Was the edit provided by the label or made by the station?

There are a couple other edits for length (nothing big) but this one really bothered me.

Terry21
08-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd love to hear that!

Shaz
08-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I thought it was "ass so" not "asshole".

im probobobobably wrong...
peace

Terry21
08-01-2006, 04:43 PM

peace

It is, IMO.

ShadowLine
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM

peace

it is.

chris
x

Thirdeye11
08-02-2006, 12:54 PM
it is.

chris
x

I agree.

Head up ass, so.... Not head up asshole. That just sounds silly.

Warartist
08-02-2006, 05:11 PM
They are playing it on the radio?

slicknickshady
08-03-2006, 04:16 AM
It's getting a ton of radioplay. It'a not even funny and I love the fact it is.

Modern

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Details.asp?sngcde=TOOLP5&format=R5M&mode=leader

Modern Chart

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r5M

Active

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Details.asp?sngcde=TOOLP5&format=R2M&mode=leader

Active Chart

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r2M

Alternitive

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Details.asp?sngcde=TOOLP5++&format=R3M

Alternitive Chart

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r3M

Inner_Eulogy
08-03-2006, 06:25 AM
It is, IMO.

I suppose I'll be flamed for not knowing but, what exactly is "IMO" stand for anyway? I see it all the time and I get the gist of it but what is it?

Warartist
08-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Oh, I'm not the only one huh? Well I asked this the other day it means, in my opinion. IMHO H=humble.
M.

Aunt Acid
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
When you dance all over my black kettle.

sweatyturtle19
08-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Uggh, I wish this song wasn't on the radio so much. Now when people think of Tool, they'll think of this song...and it's certainly no where NEAR their best.

Worst song off of 10K days...I still enjoy it, but it's nothing special and there are better songs to play. Jambi anyone???

Cid
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
the best radio edit ever for this song would be 6 minutes of silence. they'd be doing the world a favor by just not playing anything at all.

Cid
08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Go the fuck outside and stop bitching, the album came out like 3 months ago, just accept the fact you don't like it and do something good with your life

hahaha...i'm not bitching and i will go outside in about 30 minutes, as soon as i get out of work. i don't listen to the song anymore, that's all. i just think it's funny to bash it and see what kind of responses i get, like yours.

Cid
08-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Uggh, I wish this song wasn't on the radio so much. Now when people think of Tool, they'll think of this song...and it's certainly no where NEAR their best.

Worst song off of 10K days...I still enjoy it, but it's nothing special and there are better songs to play. Jambi anyone???

i've heard jambi on the radio a few times.

Alex in Chains
08-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Why the hell would they edit out "pissed," especially in this context - the line that makes the title of the song?

It's scatological. I don't know if it's still mandated by the FCC or by individual states or just up to the radio station's discretion, but in most cases you can't say "piss" if it refers to the act of urination. You can say "pissed off," but not "pissed on."

Inner_Eulogy
08-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Oh, I'm not the only one huh? Well I asked this the other day it means, in my opinion. IMHO H=humble.
M.

Why thank you.

Inner_Eulogy
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
It's scatological. I don't know if it's still mandated by the FCC or by individual states or just up to the radio station's discretion, but in most cases you can't say "piss" if it refers to the act of urination. You can say "pissed off," but not "pissed on."

Well that makes sense I suppose...in a fucked up FCC kinda' way...(they'll be the ones to protect us from, our enemies and our choices son)

eulogys
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
There's a radio edit for this song? I've never heard it on the radio being edited, even the "fucking hypocrite" line gets played.

ShadowLine
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
When you dance all over my black kettle.

...well you PISSED all over my black kettle, isnt it?

chris
x

guitarpete987
08-16-2006, 08:43 PM
I've still never heard this song on the radio.

I'd rather start hearing this than that heinous edit they're playing now of Vicarious.

ChipperJones
08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Honestly, I'm happy when people say they enjoy a Tool song, even if it is a bad example of who they are. VERY many people I know love The Pot, and I'm fine with that, because I think it's a GREAT song. Sure, the people enjoying the song are not Tool fans, but at least they are appreciating something they did. And as we all know, The Pot wasn't a song MADE for radio. It's a cleverly crafted song made without any airplay intentions, and just happened to sound very catchy compared to their other songs.

Metalgod666
08-22-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm hearing it every night on the radio on the alt rock and regular rock stations here. I remember when they first started playing it it was completely uncensored.

At least they never cut down The Pot or Vicarious here, they left them long

jim39n
08-22-2006, 12:49 PM
yeah! i heard it compeltely uncensored here too! i did a double take at my radio when i heard "fuckin hipocrite"

Inner_Eulogy
08-28-2006, 06:06 PM
yeah! i heard it compeltely uncensored here too! i did a double take at my radio when i heard "fuckin hipocrite"

I hear it today finally on the radio, it's been a while since I usually always play my CDs instead of the radio but anyways, point being...they definately do not edit "pissed" although, perhaps they would in Oregon or Utah..lol Although, I don't see how anywhere in the US they could say "fuckin" on the radio without some major repercussions.

Kevin
08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
This is exactly why I don't listen to the radio. If I were to hear a Tool song played 6 times a day and then sung 13 year old "angry teens" I'd probably go into a murderous rampage.

Sometimes ignorance can be blissful.

Spaceman Spiff
08-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I've still never heard this song on the radio.

I'd rather start hearing this than that heinous edit they're playing now of Vicarious.

They chopped up "Vicarious?" I only heard a bit of it on the radio once or twice. Haven't heard "The Pot" at all yet, this is an official single? Too bad.

IC
08-29-2006, 04:06 PM
ive heard the pot once or twice, with 'fuck' edited out, but we get Vicarious ALL-THE-TIME. like its hard to turn on the radio at all without it being the first thing on.

jim39n
08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
update, just the other day i heard it once again without fuck edited out. no idea how they're getting away with thia. but whatever, thank you rocket 95.1 for sticking it to the FCC

KroniKlepto
08-30-2006, 04:42 AM
yeah, I hear it on AAF without any editing... full version of vicarious, as well.

Rubb.
08-30-2006, 04:51 AM
why would they edit this song at all? retarded

CrownOfNegativity
08-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Don't listen to KROQ, they just fuck everything up. Especially with their 4 minute version of Vicarious that excludes all of the best parts towards the end.

Listen to Indie 103.1 if you want to hear The Pot uncensored and uncut. Though they probably don't play the song half as much as shitty KROQ does.

implandnoises
09-01-2006, 11:16 PM
I am glad they edited it. I am very offended by piss. Every time I go for a piss, I have to look away. Leaves a terrible mess that way, but I have to do it......

Terry21
09-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I get the strange feeling that the thread starter is lying or heard something wrong.

CrownOfNegativity
09-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I get the strange feeling that the thread starter is lying or heard something wrong.

Knowing how KROQ is, I doubt that very much.

Useful)(Idiot
09-05-2006, 05:53 PM
things like this piss me, i like to call it selective censorship. which in all actuality censorship is selective in itself. you can say b***h and whore and talk about sex all over tv and radio, but you can't say the word a**hole (but you can say a** by itself all you want) makes no friggin sense if you ask me. makes me wanna take a "pi**" ;-)

Opiate_Of_The_Mind
09-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Censorship=Gay. OH NO! We might find out that this word exists! We must block it from the ears of everyone!

implandnoises
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
things like this piss me, i like to call it selective censorship. which in all actuality censorship is selective in itself. you can say b***h and whore and talk about sex all over tv and radio, but you can't say the word a**hole (but you can say a** by itself all you want) makes no friggin sense if you ask me. makes me wanna take a "pi**" ;-)

You can say ass because it has another, less offensive meaning. So what we need to do is give other mundane meanings for words like piss.

Like this - just as swim is to swam, pist is to past and therefore piss is to pass. Which means "You pass me off" can legitimately be replaced with "You piss me off."

14thDosage
09-05-2006, 08:00 PM
You can say ass because it has another, less offensive meaning. So what we need to do is give other mundane meanings for words like piss.

;)

implandnoises
09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
^^haha, I didn't see that, thanks.

jmadidas2001
09-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I hear it today finally on the radio, it's been a while since I usually always play my CDs instead of the radio but anyways, point being...they definately do not edit "pissed" although, perhaps they would in Oregon or Utah..lol Although, I don't see how anywhere in the US they could say "fuckin" on the radio without some major repercussions.

Lumping Oregon and Utah together...what a dumbass...

Oregon is EASILY the MOST liberal state in the Union...get a clue...

JM

eternalnuisance.com
09-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Pissed has been added to the list of words you can't say on public radio and tv in certain parts of this beatifull country. Thank you Janet Jackson.
As for why, because they felt like it. Artistic freedom and speech are encouraged, just as long as you don't have a potty mouth.

And to respond to someone that said radio couldn't get away with saying fuck, around one at night, the censorship gloves come off, and they can say the fuck word, and the shit word too

Pårȃđīǥm
10-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Tool shouldn't be played on the radio at all. anyone who loves tool will already own the album or borrow it or download it etc and most people who bother listening to radio will change the station anyways so why bother?

El Shaggy
10-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I disaggree, who knows if i would have gotten into tool if i hadn't heard various tracks off Aenima and Schism. Especially Eulogy! Our stations play a bit of decent rock, we get healthy doses of Floyd and Zeppelin.

hushypushy
10-04-2006, 05:52 PM
reminds me of Apocalypse Now, at the end when Kurtz says, "We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene."

Andorion
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM

I'm not, just heard it again last night and actually called the station (KROQ in Los Angeles) to ask them what was up, they told me they get their radio edit versions from the label so they had nothing to do with it.

They change the line "piss all over my black kettle" and they also cut from 3:43 through 4:49, "Weep in shades of indigo" and the instrumental, the best part, again :(

Terry21
10-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Ah okay, sorry then.

Luosdasa
10-17-2006, 10:25 PM
heh, only station i hear it played on down here is the j's... and they dont sensor anything ever :D, cept for the 'oh so un-utterable C word...'

tho iv heard that a couple of times too later at night lol. cant say i understand why that word in particular is so offensive... meh

10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I thought the band had said in an interview once that they refuse to edit any of their material?

smeefsmeef
10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I thought the band had said in an interview once that they refuse to edit any of their material?

A ton of their songs have been edited for radio play. Have you heard Aenima on the radio? "Fuck" is backwards.

How about the infamous, "Track #1"

Eulogy was edited, too. About half of the intro was cut out.

So was Sober. Instead of "Jesus won't you fucking whistle," it was "Jesus won't you try and whistle."

I have yet to hear "The Pot" on the radio, btw. I don't think that it has been officially released as a single by the band yet. I hope it does soon IMO.

base metal
10-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I hardly ever listen to the radio, but, I know they're playing The Pot quite a bit and I hate to say it but it just sounds fuckin' retarded now....Censor pissed and fuck up the whole rhythm....Sweeeeeeeeet. I guess they're suggesting that we either stop listening to the radio or we need to wash our mouths out with soap.