PDA

View Full Version : "life feeds on life" or is it "lie feeds on lie?"

evilentity
11-24-2002, 10:40 PM
Every notice that the line could be lie feeds on lie?

Maybe Maynard is saying something about the religious demagogues parodied in the hidden track.

seeyouauntie
11-24-2002, 11:55 PM
im 100% sure its life feeds on life.

evilentity
11-25-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by seeyouauntie
im 100% sure its life feeds on life.

My point wasn't to say that the line is "lie feeds on lie" instead of "life feeds on life", but rather to suggest that Maynard intentionally wrote the line to evoke two meanings.

SRx71
11-25-2002, 05:25 PM
...have actually thought about the song having two meaning, but not in the "lie feeds on lie" opposed to "life feeds on life" sense, because I know it's "life feeds on life". What I'm wondering is, is it "life feeds on life", or "life feeds on", as it goes on?

Tychism
11-25-2002, 06:12 PM
SRx71, good point, Life feeds on... Thats quite a different view, I have never looked at it that way. Feed on rabbits.

Interesting...

KILLIAN
11-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Yea nice but could it also be "Lie feeds on Life"?

Tychism
11-25-2002, 06:18 PM
Or "Life feeds on Lie"

Interesting...

sidez
11-25-2002, 06:27 PM
I know this is totally defeating the purpose and missing the point of this discussion, but if you look in the sleeve of the Undertow album you will see among many other lyrics all swarmed together in an unorderly fashion that it does indeed say "life feeds on life feeds on life." To me that means that in order to live you must kill and take from others what they have taken from others and so on, hence the continuous repeating of "life feeds on life" in a manner that may suggest, as previously stated, that in order to live one must kill, or feed on life.

manifestcontent
11-26-2002, 06:47 AM
or could it be supercalafragilisticexpealidocious???!!!! so ha!

ragna16
11-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Or more than likely, it shows that the circle of life, is exactly a circle, and you can't go and eat the sun.

Stay in the circle boys and girls. Leave and die.

Hyatir
11-26-2002, 04:51 PM
The thing sidez mentioned about killing as a metaphor for taking information and learning from the experiences of others would fit with the line in 4 degrees "I'll kill what you want me to, take what's left and eat it." Maybe he's saying how you cant simply absorb experience and learning from others? insight welcome

sk8ingknot4659
12-02-2002, 08:07 PM
it's life feeds on life, i'm 100% sure. it even says it in th e booklet...

Hyatir
12-03-2002, 07:33 AM
eh doesnt matter. if you hear what you want and its not what he intended, thats fine. his singing is ambiguous be it deliberate or not, and it leaves room for both interpretations

neo_taboolie
12-04-2002, 12:43 AM
I'm with Hyatir on this one... Interpretation remains open to the individual. Having said that my interpretation of it is "Life feeds on life, feeds on life..." although I never though of the "Life feeds on" idea.
The concept of a continual circle does take its place in the song somewhere, for me. But I'm wondering, for it to signify some sort of feeding/consuming by different order consumers in the food chain wouldn't death have to feed on life at some stage?
Oh well, maybe I haven't though this through enough...

nikstar
12-05-2002, 11:16 AM
We're all parasites in a way. Everything we do has been influenced by some other person in some way, time is too old for this not to be true. Something/someone has lead us to believe what we believe, we feed off eachother to have opinions, to think, to learn, to be. "Life feeds on life, this is necessary."

NegativeIons
12-08-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by nikstar
We're all parasites in a way. Everything we do has been influenced by some other person in some way, time is too old for this not to be true. Something/someone has lead us to believe what we believe, we feed off eachother to have opinions, to think, to learn, to be. "Life feeds on life, this is necessary."

I'm actually taking a Social Philosophy course in college ( with a final that I should be studying for dangit! ) and one of the fundamentals of the class is that when man is born into this world, he must create it, and interact with others, lest he reach a state of anomie (meaninglessness), and fall into chaos and disrepair.
But, the world in which man creates tend to act back upon him and he comes to view it as something that is "out there" and seperate from his consciousness. The "carrots" part of "disgustipated" could be an illustration of "man acting back", or the church pastor rather, by trying to save the poor carrots which are going to be "harvested"; trying to interact and reverse soemthing which has been set in motion by man, etc., but because "life feeds on life" the harvest must occur; or man will die for lack of sustenance.
The various crashes and bangs in the background could be symbolic of the meaninglessness that can and will creep up on a person searching for some kind of meaning within the circle, puncturing their NOMOS (order) with questions of "why am I doing this?" or "why is it an endless cycle" or "what's the points" and so on and so forth. When the meaning could just be simply existing within the cirlce and perpetuating it's continuation...
I think how Maynards says "life feeds on life" is very important as well, since it's "life/feeds on life/feeds on/life", which is a point many of you have been driving home, that's it a continous and neverending circle of feeding, growing, and interacting.
What am I trying to say? I'm not really sure, because it's rather late, but I hope I made some sense.

evilentity
12-09-2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by NegativeIons

I'm actually taking a Social Philosophy course in college ( with a final that I should be studying for dangit! ) and one of the fundamentals of the class is that when man is born into this world, he must create it, and interact with others, lest he reach a state of anomie (meaninglessness), and fall into chaos and disrepair.
But, the world in which man creates tend to act back upon him and he comes to view it as something that is "out there" and seperate from his consciousness. The "carrots" part of "disgustipated" could be an illustration of "man acting back", or the church pastor rather, by trying to save the poor carrots which are going to be "harvested"; trying to interact and reverse soemthing which has been set in motion by man, etc., but because "life feeds on life" the harvest must occur; or man will die for lack of sustenance.
The various crashes and bangs in the background could be symbolic of the meaninglessness that can and will creep up on a person searching for some kind of meaning within the circle, puncturing their NOMOS (order) with questions of "why am I doing this?" or "why is it an endless cycle" or "what's the points" and so on and so forth. When the meaning could just be simply existing within the cirlce and perpetuating it's continuation...
I think how Maynards says "life feeds on life" is very important as well, since it's "life/feeds on life/feeds on/life", which is a point many of you have been driving home, that's it a continous and neverending circle of feeding, growing, and interacting.
What am I trying to say? I'm not really sure, because it's rather late, but I hope I made some sense.

Um, yeah... the above quote definitely reminds me of this Onion article.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3826/grad_student.html

IrisoftheShadow
12-09-2002, 02:30 PM
it is true that interpretation is left for the audience. But the lyrics are indeed, "Life feeds on life feeds on life..." or previously debated, "Life feeds on..." Lyrics cannot be changed. only intepretation can. Maynard gave us a few words in a 15 minute song. You cannot change the fact that he is indeed saying "Life feeds on life..." Youc an only change your analysis.

Mantra
12-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by evilentity

lmao.. that was pretty good. I love The Onion.

Anyways, I think the interpretation of life/feeds on life/feeds on/life works better then simple Life feeds on life and life feeds on. The way NegativeIons has written it shows the division of the line as maynard sings it. Life ::pause:: feeds on life ::pause:: feeds on ::pause:: life etc etc. Taking a closer look at the, most likely intentional, division of this line may reveal a deeper meaning then we have previously seen.

Hyatir
12-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by IrisoftheShadow
it is true that interpretation is left for the audience. But the lyrics are indeed, "Life feeds on life feeds on life..." or previously debated, "Life feeds on..." Lyrics cannot be changed. only intepretation can. Maynard gave us a few words in a 15 minute song. You cannot change the fact that he is indeed saying "Life feeds on life..." Youc an only change your analysis.

Well, yeah he's only saying one thing, and you cant change that. But if you hear life feeds on life, or life feeds on lie, than thats up to you becuase his singing makes it rather ambiguous. Who knows it could be intentional as a sort of catch-all for all the different interpretations, allowing for all to exist simultaneously, while only having the one that he liekd best printed in the cover booklet.

NegativeIons
12-09-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by evilentity

That was great! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! But yeah, any field of study tends to color your vision in ways you don't intend...

I also forgot to add comments about the last part of "Disgustipated", which takes on the subjective view of the whole thing. Everything is referred to as "yours", or as possesions of the person looking at things, changing preferences, etc., they are in control and nobody else can tell them differant. There doesn't seem to be any distinguishing characteristic between self and society, or self and nature, or self and anything else...it's just self, self, self.
The last part of "disgustipated" seems to be the scariest, because this person lives in a dillusional world where anything and everything they look at is theirs, they stop conversing (connecting/perpetuating, keeping the NOMOS) with the world and listening only to themselves.
The person in the last part of "disgustipated" is in a state of anomie....or so it seems....

I also think there's some sort of relevence to the three part structure of "disgustipated", but I have yet to come up with anything. It could be the movement from sheep (religion), to recognition of the biological structure (science), to the reliance on self (um, self)...but I'm still trying to work through that one...

ColdUglyMe
12-10-2002, 12:50 PM
Its possible it has double or more meanings. I like it for what it is. Its neccessary for life to feed on life... hence, life feeds on. This most likley has very little to do with the point of this song, but, harvest day for the carrots... assuming carrots have the will to survive and have some sort of future... are alive, and in part must be killed for us to live.
Neat song.

Hyatir
12-10-2002, 01:28 PM
If someone who read the Divine Comedy has an idea how that could apply to the 3rd part of Disgustipated, im open for ideas. i mentioned it becuase of the wandering along the forest bit, but ive never actually read Inferno, just wrote a paper on it. ;)

OpiAtE_666
12-30-2002, 01:42 AM
God, some of you people are fuckin stupid. He said that he knew the actual lyrics were life feeds on life, but perhaps it has a double meaning. I agree he could be saying lie or life and i think that was done on purpose and is a reference to the reverand maynard rant at the beginning of the track.

evilentity
01-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by OpiAtE_666
God, some of you people are fuckin stupid. He said that he knew the actual lyrics were life feeds on life, but perhaps it has a double meaning. I agree he could be saying lie or life and i think that was done on purpose and is a reference to the reverand maynard rant at the beginning of the track.

Thank you... someone finally saw what I was saying.

paraflux
01-07-2003, 01:06 PM
NegativeIons, why does it have to be scary? Why does the character have to be disillusioned? If the point to life is to create our own reality in this dimension, and our own realities (which could be our own universes) in a higher dimension, why can't the point to this little piece be from the perspective of total creative awareness and license?

Mamasita
01-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Good job boys. Stage Set. Minds Shut. 6 Billion Bodies Available. The Crop Ready. Harvest Time Has Come.

*quote from the casseopaea site*

Live feeds on live..... who feeds on us?

exojjl
09-26-2004, 12:34 AM
...have actually thought about the song having two meaning, but not in the "lie feeds on lie" opposed to "life feeds on life" sense, because I know it's "life feeds on life". What I'm wondering is, is it "life feeds on life", or "life feeds on", as it goes on?

It is both. Thats all there is to it.
But if you listen to his vocals very closely, you'll notice how he sings it, and how you look at it, or shall i say, look at it with your ears, it says two things, which are both essentially the same thing in the end.
Its a loop hole basicly.
Life feeds on life.
but if its "Life feeds on"
it still would be saying life feeds on life, and everything included.

exojjl
09-26-2004, 12:39 AM
That was great! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! But yeah, any field of study tends to color your vision in ways you don't intend...

I also forgot to add comments about the last part of "Disgustipated", which takes on the subjective view of the whole thing. Everything is referred to as "yours", or as possesions of the person looking at things, changing preferences, etc., they are in control and nobody else can tell them differant. There doesn't seem to be any distinguishing characteristic between self and society, or self and nature, or self and anything else...it's just self, self, self.
The last part of "disgustipated" seems to be the scariest, because this person lives in a dillusional world where anything and everything they look at is theirs, they stop conversing (connecting/perpetuating, keeping the NOMOS) with the world and listening only to themselves.
The person in the last part of "disgustipated" is in a state of anomie....or so it seems....

I also think there's some sort of relevence to the three part structure of "disgustipated", but I have yet to come up with anything. It could be the movement from sheep (religion), to recognition of the biological structure (science), to the reliance on self (um, self)...but I'm still trying to work through that one...

Nope. All of thats wrong. But it works none the less, and it fits.
But its much more complicated than it has to be and really is.
Read my previous posts about this song.

P.S. Everyone here seems to be thinking way to hard.

(Over thinking, over analyzing, seperates the body from the mind.)