PDA

View Full Version : Breathe in union...

weesper
07-29-2006, 03:19 AM
I don't get this line; other than a relationship of some sort I see no connections...

Please leave your random thoughts

Terry21
07-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Allright, do you wanna have the real interpretation of the song?

Here it is. It's the opposite to a schism. It's the "putting together" of the pieces. A relationship between two humans that make them as a unit, enjoying the god-given pleasures of life that are ought to be. Listen to the song with this in mind.

DON IOTAE
07-29-2006, 12:50 PM
^ I see what you mean... ;)

And yes, that definitely fits with the song. I love that line, "breathe in union". foken luv it.

DON IOTAE
07-29-2006, 04:16 PM
^ *inhales, exhales*

DON IOTAE
07-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I love you guys.

*hiccup*

fabienne78
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
love you too

*burp*

Terry21
07-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Then again, it might actually be "bathe in urin".

foma
08-02-2006, 02:34 AM
My first thought on the song is that it was about Jennifer Lopez (even if I am much more confused now), like pulling the pop-kings'n'queens leg, and sayin 'tool can do it better'.

All of the song is 'it's so easy for me to do anything for you', but the end is 'breathe in union to survive just another day together = it takes such a big effort to be still together'

then 'silence leech' is like just shut up you, who don't even write the songs you sing, and stop stealing (leeching) my time.

Inner_Eulogy
08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't get this line; other than a relationship of some sort I see no connections...

Please leave your random thoughts

If you've ever read the book "Nothing in this book is true but, it's exactly the way things are" by Bob Frissell it might make more sense. In one way I think it refers to the rebirthing (breathing techniques) used as a practice to open your third eye during meditation. He's hoping for one and all to do it in unison and be a part of the one mind (collective unconsciousness).

Terry21
08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
If you've ever read the book "Nothing in this book is true but, it's exactly the way things are" by Bob Frissell it might make more sense. In one way I think it refers to the rebirthing (breathing techniques) used as a practice to open your third eye during meditation. He's hoping for one and all to do it in unison and be a part of the one mind (collective unconsciousness).

This, or two people breathing in union (metaphor for living in union).

bmeason
08-02-2006, 11:33 AM
If you've ever read the book "Nothing in this book is true but, it's exactly the way things are" by Bob Frissell it might make more sense. In one way I think it refers to the rebirthing (breathing techniques) used as a practice to open your third eye during meditation.
Or just be a rosetta stoned and have a controlled environment trip with a guide. This is another way to come to this exact conclusion. Once you feel energy on an "other than normal" way, at least in my expierence, you view everything as connected waves. Just look at some of AG's art work, whoop. The flesh and reality we see is just our interpretation of energy (and the reflection of colors is everthing that light is reflecting off of that object).

He's hoping for one and all to do it in unison and be a part of the one mind (collective unconsciousness).
I agree, in part. I think speciffically in Jambi he is referring to someone close to you to hold the same values and faith in life. To think as one and become one (the opposite of pushit - the devilish selfish side) together. Then the step of 'Reflection' can take place as a whole. (And you will come to find, that we are all one mind) If you start unionizing small and personal relationships in your life, it will be much easier to merge whole unions, rather than individuals themselves. The small step before the leap.

And; It is a collective unconscious because you will "lose the ego" and become one and lose your self... in part basically becoming god ... will power and thoughts all together to create and understand. :)

The Corinthian
08-03-2006, 04:52 AM
I just interpreted breathe in union as a different way of saying "the two become one"

Also, bathe in urine is pretty hilarious. I should go look back at the old interpertations (including my own) of the lyrics just to see how far off they are. its usually pretty funny.

Terry21
08-03-2006, 05:13 AM
I just interpreted breathe in union as a different way of saying "the two become one"

Also, bathe in urine is pretty hilarious. I should go look back at the old interpertations (including my own) of the lyrics just to see how far off they are. its usually pretty funny.

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/tool.shtml

"When it was that you had sex with me
Like a carousel."

Hahahahahahaha.

A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 07:01 AM
breathe in union is one of my favorite parts of this song. most tool songs become dances in my mind and i always see the sun salutation and warrior poses at this part ending with the powerful pose.

fraterps
08-07-2006, 07:52 AM
I've already provided a fairly detailed analysis of Jambi in terms of the invocation of the higher self, patterned on the ritual work of the western esoteric tradition. The line 'breathe in union' follows the central invocation (shine on benevolent sun, divide heaven and Adam with a middle way), and it represents the charge given to the spirit. The song opens with an honest assessment of the state the speaker is in, indulgent and dabbling with the devil. As the notion develops of an 'other' who is worth so much as to give all this indulgence away, we see this other is one's peace of mind, the AUM, the center. This idea is then separated from the invocation proper by the instrumental portion of the song. After the unifying rays of a benevolent sun are invoked, the speaker then brings forth the idea of a middle way, something that allows us to balance between indulgence and asceticism, so that we needn't fear wavering between heaven and hell. With this idea now firmly in place, the 'spirit' is then given the charge: Breathe in union, so that as one we can survive another day in season. Finally, the ritual is closed with a banishing of unhealthy spirits: Silence Legion STAY OUT OF MY WAY!

Hope that helps. Listen to the song with this in mind. It is, I believe, very close to the conscious intentions of the band when the song was being developed, and it is what we should be focusing on when we listen to it.

Cheers,

PS

Inner_Eulogy
08-07-2006, 09:53 AM
I've already provided a fairly detailed analysis of Jambi in terms of the invocation of the higher self, patterned on the ritual work of the western esoteric tradition. The line 'breathe in union' follows the central invocation (shine on benevolent sun, divide heaven and Adam with a middle way), and it represents the charge given to the spirit. The song opens with an honest assessment of the state the speaker is in, indulgent and dabbling with the devil. As the notion develops of an 'other' who is worth so much as to give all this indulgence away, we see this other is one's peace of mind, the AUM, the center. This idea is then separated from the invocation proper by the instrumental portion of the song. After the unifying rays of a benevolent sun are invoked, the speaker then brings forth the idea of a middle way, something that allows us to balance between indulgence and asceticism, so that we needn't fear wavering between heaven and hell. With this idea now firmly in place, the 'spirit' is then given the charge: Breathe in union, so that as one we can survive another day in season. Finally, the ritual is closed with a banishing of unhealthy spirits: Silence Legion STAY OUT OF MY WAY!

Hope that helps. Listen to the song with this in mind. It is, I believe, very close to the conscious intentions of the band when the song was being developed, and it is what we should be focusing on when we listen to it.

Cheers,

PS

And you sir, are entitled to your opinion

fraterps
08-07-2006, 10:15 AM
But I'm not here to opine. Thank you for ac-knowledging my right to do so, but I'm offering KNOWLEDGE. If it were mere opinion we're concerned with, we wouldn't even need to remark on its entitlement. I think at least some of us here are interested in knowing things about the world (or Tool in particular), and lo and behold, the human mind is so constituted as to require determinate intentional relationships between the self and the world, filled in by what we call 'knowledge', in order to be able to be conscious at all. (of course, with the disinformation supported by the band, this sometimes becomes difficult--still, it's a task we're up to) There's more of an argument that could be provided for the relationship between consciousness and intentional supposition=knowledge. The basic idea is, we are here not just to opine or believe, but to know.

And you, sir, are entitled to know.

Cheers,

PS

DON IOTAE
08-07-2006, 10:20 AM
^ hmm I'll have to think about this one...

but I think you're both right. Right in Two.

Cheers.

fraterps
08-07-2006, 10:27 AM
solve et coagula

dissolve to reunite

dissolve right in two, reunite right into

DON IOTAE
08-07-2006, 10:29 AM
^ alright, a Mudvayne fan!

right?

sure hope so; haven't been able to find another... and yes, my knowledge is mostly pop culture...

fraterps
08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Not much of a Mudvayne fan, but I'm familiar. The line actually comes out of alchemy, and I'd say I'm more of an alchemy fan.

A Spirit of Radio
08-07-2006, 11:51 AM
. The basic idea is, we are here not just to opine or believe, but to know.

And you, sir, are entitled to know.

Cheers,

PS

shall we close the thread now? since there will not be any more need for discussion as we have been told now what the song IS about.
even though i agree with what you said about the song- i don't care for the way you said it. your analytical approach is rather dry. i like flesh and blood in my explanations.

fraterps
08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
shall we close the thread now? since there will not be any more need for discussion as we have been told now what the song IS about.
even though i agree with what you said about the song- i don't care for the way you said it. your analytical approach is rather dry. i like flesh and blood in my explanations.

Well, I happen to like proper grammar and punctuation. But I try not to let that get in the way of receiving what you're communicating. Some find my approach dry, others will find it accurate. I don't know what you mean by 'flesh and blood' in an explanation, but when it comes to providing (as I stated) an accurate representation of the intention put forth in the song, I think I rather well succeeded--and I've still yet to see anyone actually address that issue, no matter what quibbling arises from issues of personal taste for flesh and blood. Notice I was offering a re-presentation. You didn't expect me to sing my explanation to you? That was done in the initial presentation--ie, in the song as performed by the band. I speak and write in my own lyrical fashion, and here I've been mostly interested in conferring knowledge. Close the post if you'd like, or refer to it no more if that suits you. Personally, I'd rather engage in conversation. And with what I've provided in terms of a coherent analysis of the song, I could hope for more than comments like 'rather long' or 'analytical and dry'. But maybe that's just the easiest thing for people to do when they feel moved to respond but don't have anything to offer in terms of substance for the topic at hand. Thank you for your comments on the aesthetic quality of my post. Would you care now to comment on its noetic traits?

Best,

PS

Skull Island
08-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Allright, do you wanna have the real interpretation of the song?

Here it is. It's the opposite to a schism. It's the "putting together" of the pieces. A relationship between two humans that make them as a unit.

Short and sweet. I like it. This was my thought upon first hearing the song.
Alternatively, Bay! Thin ewe nun.

Speaking of which, that website was awesome.

"i know a piece of sh**"
"jesus wasn't f**king russel"

hahahaha

DON IOTAE
08-08-2006, 05:53 AM
Not much of a Mudvayne fan, but I'm familiar. The line actually comes out of alchemy, and I'd say I'm more of an alchemy fan.

I figured as much. Ah, alchemy. Nice.

sweatyturtle19
08-08-2006, 06:04 AM
This is kind of a shallow interpretation, but I've always considered it a sexual reference. When two people have sex, their breathing usually changes significantly and sometimes it does seem as if both partners are breathing "in union."

DON IOTAE
08-08-2006, 06:15 AM
^ not shallow at all. Who said thinking about sex is shallow?

Most definitely, when two lovers are engaged in making love, their breathing sometimes does sincronize... and I think that enhances the experience for both. It does for me. ;)

Breathe in union, I say. As often as you can.

Cheers

A Spirit of Radio
08-08-2006, 06:31 AM
fraterps, on a message board, i like to write as i would speak to people. do you speak the way you write? i just wonder. reading your post, i picture an english butler.

i think your post was quite intellectual- you asked. it's obvious you have some sense about you. but how do you feel?

what images come to mind when you hear this song? does it ever carry you away-like it does me?

A Spirit of Radio
08-08-2006, 06:38 AM
i agree with the sexual images inspired by the breathe in union lyrics. i have always thought that talk-box solo by adam sounded like pure sexuality-meow!! The riffs after the solo alway remind me of the actual act of sex and they lead right into the benevolent son part.
i love this part..... i think about how out of lust, new life is born. i also think about the sun that impregnated the fertile earth and gave rise to man.
such a good song.

DON IOTAE
08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
^ There you go...

And then there's the "In out in out" in 3rd eye. I think these tool perverts just write songs about sex. Fuckin sickos. Wait a minute, dont they have a song called "prison sex"??? That does it...

I QUIT BEING A TOOL FAN! I CANT DEAL WITH SEX!

fraterps
08-08-2006, 12:11 PM
fraterps, on a message board, i like to write as i would speak to people. do you speak the way you write? i just wonder. reading your post, i picture an english butler.

i think your post was quite intellectual- you asked. it's obvious you have some sense about you. but how do you feel?

what images come to mind when you hear this song? does it ever carry you away-like it does me?

Hello Spirit,

I tend to speak as I write. It's also the way I think, and for the most part I'm a naively honest and open person, so I tend to express myself unfiltered.

As for the flesh and blood of my feeling, I thought that was clear in what I was saying about my reading of Jambi. It is an honest self-appraisal of our torn and divided natures, yet with the recognition that we are regardless pursuing the divine ecstacy. An earnest acceptance of self yet a birth within us of the divine. That apotheosis is what I feel, and it is magical. Read for instance St. John of the Cross, the muslim poet Rumi, or Crowley's AHA! Yes, Jambi (and Tool in general) quite often carries me away, and because I think I grasp what the band is doing with most of their songs, I am carried away to the limits of what it is to be human and still divine. Swing on a spiral...

A Spirit of Radio
08-09-2006, 05:30 AM
a birth within us of the divine. beautiful words but then do you believe that man is separate from the divine and needs to undertake some sort of action to allow the divine in? that is a typical western religious belief that man is separate from god.
i do not believe that fraterp.

fraterps
08-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi Spirit,

I'm not making any rigorous ontological claims about what constitutes the divine substance in relation to the human substance. Instead, I'm making a more common-sense remark that we (most of us) in fact do find ourselves in a torn and broken state oftentimes, and that we are still able to take part in that divine ecstacy.

A Spirit of Radio
08-09-2006, 09:33 AM
entertain the uncommon for me. i am curious.

fraterps
08-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Are you asking me whether I think there's a separation between humanity and the divine? I'm not sure what you're looking for.

A Spirit of Radio
08-09-2006, 11:25 AM
yes, i am.

fraterps
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
The human essence and the divine are in principle the same, but as it is of the essence of humanity to will our own conditions, we can in various ways separate ourselves from that unity. Oftentimes, what's then needed is an awareness of this separation and a beginning of the endeavor to make reparation. We thus strive for and climb toward the divine, although at the summit, we find the encounter to be a homecoming.

Best,

PS

fraterps
08-09-2006, 02:56 PM
As a follow up, it strikes me I should remark on the complexity of the essence of humankind. We are not just willing agents in a world of our molding. We are also dense physico-chemical developments from the cosmic soup that precedes us. At each stage of this ongoing transmutation the earlier elements are contained in successive generations (i.e. chemicals still carry the atomic constituents which yield them, as biological life contains its chemical forbear). While these earlier elements are contained in later stages, they also contribute to the new expressions the universe births at each stage. We see this all throughout the cosmos' development--hydrogen and helium via gravity yielded stars (let there be light), and in the fusion furnaces of stars heavier elements were formed, in time to seed the cosmos with the conditions for life. With the conditions right for there to be life on earth, greater expressions of the universe's potential were actualized, so that we develop things like mother love in the higher mammals, charity and altruism in social dynamics, and eventually with human cognitive capacity a second 'big bang' occurs. Now we're in the field of art, religion, politics, philosophy, poetry, etc etc. Here we can say the divine is at home. Spirit has returned to itself out of itself. It has come to its own self awareness, by working itself out of its own basic states preceding it. We are of the cosmos, for we are the cosmos in one of its expressions. The divine, I believe, resides in both sides, though we as human beings are in our own peculiar position to realize it. In a sense, we complete the divine, for it is we who have the task of recognizing ourselves as divine after we've come out of this basic substance that permeates everything, though everywhere differently.

Hope that helps.

PS

A Spirit of Radio
08-10-2006, 07:34 AM
nice fraterps, i like the way you think.
i could not agree more.

alexreflection
08-10-2006, 11:43 AM
This song is fantastic, I think it is my favorite song in 10,000 Days for the moment.