PDA

View Full Version : Maynard...

King Nothing
07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
i posted this like a year ago...
But... Did maynard write his own eulogy?

He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him.

(what people will say about maynard?)

Standing above the crowd,

(maynard standing above the audience)

He had a voice that was strong and loud.

(Loud singing voice)

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me.

(someone thats wants to be like maynard?)

and...
when hes saying "he" like "he had alot to say, he had a vioce..."
His voice is distorted

But when hes saying "you" like "you sure could yell, you had alot to say"
His voice is normal

HelenA
08-06-2006, 04:28 AM
I have no idea why this song has not been in my face earlier - it is brilliant. A friend has just decided that it is his favourite Tool song so I thought I should give it a bit more consideration and he is so right - it may not be my favourite but it is awesome. And I thought I would have a closer look at what "we" think about it ... and I REALLY like this idea!

It is so typical Maynard! (If he can be considered typical). It isn't a Eulogy - because there are so many qualifying statements - it is almost as though the singer only has a grudging respect (if that) for the 'dead' person. And the 'dead' person seems very much alive.

Besides, it has a self-deprecating humour about it that would be completely inappropriate if it really WAS a (an?) eulogy. BUT I can well imagine Maynard taking the trouble to write his own eulogy and failing miserably to keep it real. Or succeeding in keeping it real from his point of view (which would be a bit sad).

I seriously doubt if it is about Ron Hubbard or Jesus or even Paul D'Amore or Kurt Cobain. The pieces just don't fit - mind you, they rarely do!!!

But if you listen to it with your interpretation it makes a lot (alot) of sense - because he sounds pretty cranky. And at your own funeral you COULD be pretty cranky at yourself. Depending on your circumstances, and your upbringing ...