PDA

View Full Version : Instruments in wings

eslupminoyler
07-27-2006, 11:33 AM
For some reason it took me a couple months to fully comprehend the genius of Adam's guitar work in this song. It is meant, intentionally mind you, to capture a very benevolent mood.
Unfortunately, it can't be described with words. I'll try.

A losing spiritual battle's tide's are turned when you find an ally which was always there, and then you begin to fight like an artist. Adam's pick is a paint brush, or a sculpting tool.
The bass, is very consistent, strong, and intricate. It is the backbone of the song, whereas usually the drums are. The drums are free and yet bonded well to the drums.
There are parts where the instruments are barely tied together, aside from some ethereal body playing an instrument in the silence, binding them all together.

Kaoticz
07-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Agreed. Alot of people think Adam ruined this song...that is far from the truth. Adam's playing really made this song what it is. The guitar sings emotionally rather than adam playing emotionally...if that makes any sense.

SpiraMirabilis
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Yes, I think the instrumental passage in 10,000 days is possibly Tool's best moment, although its quite unlike there usual style. It feels like the 3 parts, guitar, bass and drums are completely independent, but as you say are binded together by "some ethereal body". I particularly like the bass part in this section, most cirtanly the best in the album.

This thread should have probably been posted in the 10,000 days forum, but who am I to say that, I've just been criticised for using the wrong forum myself.

EolianVision
07-28-2006, 01:14 AM
I read in an interview with Adam that there was a part that made him get tears in his eyes. I believe it was on Wings for Marie, and listening to his riffs on this song, I can see exactly why. Obviously Maynard tends to dominate the song since it's such a powerful topic for him, but really, Adam is right up there with him in creating such amazing emotion with just a guitar. You're right, it's phenomenal and epic what he does in this song.

eslupminoyler
07-28-2006, 06:21 AM
Hopefully the video he creates will reflect those tears; hence, allowing that truth behind this epic to come to fruition.

æmoeba•°·.
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Nicely done, tapping into the detial of the song writing methods. I will assure to you that you nailed the fact in the metaphors of Adam's picking techniques and the rest of the band members delectable strides in sound, and method as well. It seems Adam feathered his guitaring in this song as well, by compressing the song with slight depth and deep vibes, even with the shimmering sounds brought on by the higher pitched G,B, and quite possibly E strings.

Justin kept a noticeable rhythm through the song, even to the last of the dropped sliding of the string in the 'dramatic' ending.

Danny found a way to let the volume swell in this song, bringing a more spiritual, rich, vibrant feel to the song, almost reminding me of the Pushit tranqulity, but slightly faster, and progressive.

You made a great post above, I basically agreed with my second version of it. Take care.

-Andrew

P.S. - You may want to contemplate what you wrote when it read, " The drums are free, and yet bonded well with the drums. ". Sorry if you may have ment that, but it makes no sense to me. You may want to rethink, strike, and change what you wrote there.

mr. nikki jensen
07-28-2006, 09:08 AM
wings' instrumental is one of the most beautiful emotional music i've ever heard, and 10.000 days too.

toocooltool
07-29-2006, 09:39 AM
I like the FUCKING THUNDER CRASHES.

æmoeba•°·.
07-29-2006, 10:17 AM
I like the FUCKING THUNDER CRASHES.
Wrong song my friend.

eslupminoyler
07-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Nicely done, tapping into the detial of the song writing methods. I will assure to you that you nailed the fact in the metaphors of Adam's picking techniques and the rest of the band members delectable strides in sound, and method as well. It seems Adam feathered his guitaring in this song as well, by compressing the song with slight depth and deep vibes, even with the shimmering sounds brought on by the higher pitched G,B, and quite possibly E strings.

Justin kept a noticeable rhythm through the song, even to the last of the dropped sliding of the string in the 'dramatic' ending.

Danny found a way to let the volume swell in this song, bringing a more spiritual, rich, vibrant feel to the song, almost reminding me of the Pushit tranqulity, but slightly faster, and progressive.

You made a great post above, I basically agreed with my second version of it. Take care.

-Andrew

P.S. - You may want to contemplate what you wrote when it read, " The drums are free, and yet bonded well with the drums. ". Sorry if you may have ment that, but it makes no sense to me. You may want to rethink, strike, and change what you wrote there.

Yeah, I meant to do this...
*bonded well to the guitars

donhumberto
08-08-2006, 08:45 AM
I totally love the guitar in this song (both parts). I think it´s Adam´s best work by far...

mjkajdcjc
10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
No doubt Adam has progressed with each album- in terms of his musicianship. This song (in some ways along with "Jambi") shows him breaking away from Tool's sound as he tends to lean towards his own musical development more so than just "being the guitarist for the band."

Confield
10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
The guitar work in this song blows me away from a creative standpoint, and the cohesion and technical intricacy of the entire song blows me away. It's a web of beautiful melodies and thick rhythms dynamically tweaked with incredible range. The interconnectedness of every component of this beautiful song is so subtle, it really leaves leaves me speechless. Of course, this applies to Wings as a whole.
I've never heard a more technically developed rock song in my life; Tool's craft has advanced almost to the level of artists like Autechre and Oval.

base metal
10-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Definitely, the evolution of the band is most evident to me in this 2 part epic. Going back to the original topic of the post: I agree that Adam did a good job with the song(s) in terms of setting the mood and stirring up all the emotions one experiences with such an overwhelming loss and coming to terms with it all. I also think that the main theme of the guitar part is strong enough rhythmically to stand on its own, say an acoustic version with little or no accompaniment. I'm not saying that the song would be as good that way, not at all, all I'm saying is that it would carry itself and still be recognizable. All of the instruments are needed to create the atmospheric euphoria that we as the listener experience and flow through as we reflect on our own lives and relate to this song. This song plays out like a movie in my mind and like all Tool songs, certain parts really click and become indescribable to me in words.

"what have I done....to be whorthy?"..........the way the bass "bounces around my head", accenting the guitar is pure extasy!

w4lk4
11-02-2006, 04:46 AM
There are parts where the instruments are barely tied together, aside from some ethereal body playing an instrument in the silence, binding them all together.

you have summed up in words what i have tried to explain to others about tool for about 13 years, thanks

mr. nikki jensen
01-13-2007, 10:36 AM
adams droning guitrarsound cuts through my skull everytime i hear it