Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

SladeGT40
09-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
(Band Chill Time)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Same as last show. Despite obvous attempts to save his voice Maynard was as enjoyable as ever. Schism seemed a tad slower than usual and the groove created was even more hypnotic. Danny never disappoints. Great Show!

steveo1219
09-30-2006, 08:01 PM
First Tool show....I cannot sum up any words at this time to describe it....We'll just say the boys were on tonight

mikeisilluminati
09-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I caught a drumstick from danny carey at end of the show, knowing it was going to hit me perfect! After I see Joe taking down th set, so I ask him to get me a stick, he tosses two at me, I loose one FUCK! But truely, everything was destiny, I got these tickets by chance and I have tried so hard to get one for years.

Rageagainstgburg
09-30-2006, 08:46 PM
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ok...1st off for the second time in my life maynard walked 5 ft in front of me...and no one noticed!!! 2nd he was very very happy....fuckin amazing...danny is a fuckin monster!! adam and justin fuckin rocked!! my second tool show...the girl behind me had a jay..she also had perfect timing!! i cant even really express in words how fuckin spectacular it was...something about george bush...everyone booed,of course,and then he said i wouldnt invite that asshole! something about its a great night, comin back in 2008, and lasers were great, and the lighters was cool;..to recap the night..AMAZING...now i will smoke my jay and go to sleep...

Atrie
09-30-2006, 08:49 PM
THe show was so awesome - the band never dissapoints!

SO great to see the band hanging out together, and the way they circle at the end of the show makes me smile...

Maynard had some good ones, but Ididn't hear them alll

"Welcome to the New World Order"
"Pittsburgh was louder" - I don't think so, DC was pretty loud

Good crowd, great set list, and all four of them, Danny, Maynard, Adam, & Justin all masters of their crafts - I just hope they keep making music, and I hope they come back after the international leg...

'][' [[]] [[]] ][_
09-30-2006, 09:10 PM
1 - 10,000 Days CD ($14.99)
2 - Tool Tickets at the Verizon Center ($225.00)
Taking my 10 year old daughter to her first Tool concert....Priceless!!

Outstanding show! Section 101, Row T, Seats 13 & 14

I saw Tool in Chicago back in May during their "warm-up" tour and while that setting was a bit more intimate, the music was a bit overwhelming for Maynard's vocals. Tonite's show was spot-on, and WAY better in the sound category. Everything seemed crystal clear to me.

While one would peg a particular song as the highlight of their evening, my highlight comes from the mere fact that i spent the evening with my 10 year old daughter jamming to the best band on the face of the planet. This was her first show (my second), and she LOVED the show. She can't wait to see them again, and i can't wait to take her.

She loves Vicarious, The Pot, Stinkfist, and of course, 10,000 Days. I had hoped to hear 10,000 Days back in May, but had to settle for Right In Two instead. If i had gone the whole evening tonite only to hear 10,000 Days, then i would have been happy. By far, one of the best Tool songs.

The band seemed to be clicking very well tonite; Adam goofed here and there, but hey, he's only human. Maynard is a hoot, Justin is madness, and Danny is a beast!

Thank you DC for behaving yourselves....and thank you Security Guards for being non-existent tonite; allowing me to take lots of pics and video.

Can't wait to see 'em next time around.

God damn, shit the bed!!

durkabajung
09-30-2006, 09:48 PM
"Pittsburgh was louder"

DC was pretty fuckin loud.

Great show. Both parts of 10,000 days (the song) blew my mind, especially with those lasers. The energy when they played Lateralus was amazing, also. When everyone had their lighters out, I could just tell everybody enjoyed it and nobody was dissappointed.

ISIS was alright. Their songs sounded like drawn out Reflection covers. But I respect them a lot considering their opening up for probably their favorite band.

Overall it was just a great show and can't wait 'till they come back

TheHunter
09-30-2006, 09:52 PM
First time seeing them since late philly '02 and it was nice to have them back!
d.c. crowd was good, lots of energy and very respectful. crowded as hell too, probably close to a sellout. setlist was what it was but I wasn't complaining (well, not really) sure more songs off undertow or Ænima would have been nice but I wanted to hear the 10,000 days songs up close and personal. the sound in my section was pretty shitty, not gonna lie. everything seemed way too up in the mix so it was almost to the point where I could barely make out what was going on at times. as others have said, mjk was in jovial spirits although he didn't really talk that much. the "tool 2008!" thing was pretty funny. and who the hell is junior? justin? I was too far away to really make out what was going on there. the lasers do actually add a lot to the mood of the latter songs. I don't really agree with the placement of vicarious after lateralus though. anyone with me? overall I'd give the show a 7.

durkabajung
09-30-2006, 09:56 PM
. I don't really agree with the placement of vicarious after lateralus though. anyone with me? overall I'd give the show a 7.

I really enjoyed hearing vicarious in there. Sounded way better live than I expected it too. I think it would've been just as good before Lateralus too though. Did any of them talk to fans after the show? They did back in May but I didn't feel like staying after.

By the way, fuck DC traffic. I don't understand how people can drive down there with running 3 redlights (like we did)

eslupminoyler
09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
COuldn't here the Justin too well; manard either. Overall, it was good.
Adam was too loud, and the bass drums were too loud.

Some little guy in front of me in section 105 s was doing a really annoying drunkin monkey jive. Some dude next to me gave me a cigarete during the "lighter" part of the show. THe people in 105, were, for the most part, chilled out. Some people didn't even stand.
I enjoyed Wings for Marie the most, even though Justin was drowned by the bass drum and adam's scraping (which can be annoying at times, with the incessant repetition of dull notes and heartless meanderings). I'm assuming him playing this way is intentional, but why? There is a time and place for artsy holding of notes for lengthened time periods.

Lateralus was good.

eslupminoyler
09-30-2006, 10:07 PM
isis was awesome, even with an unclear guitar sound

Arcantus
09-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Pretty good show, my first one in fact:

Isis was interesting: seemed a mix of Tool and Opeth.

Was it just me, or did they seem to play the first few songs slower than usual? I didn't get into it as much as I would have liked until Wings for Marie, but then I was also sitting in the upper concourse. I used binoculars, but it feels too much like watching a concert video rather than the actual thing with the damn thing shaking in front of your eyes. Midway through I put it down, only picking it up to see Danny's wicked fills and to check too see if I play the chorus to Vicarious correctly (I'm fairly confident I do now).

Special Effects-
Some very interesting choices for special effects, especially the use of the lasers. During Wings when they were introduced, they very clearly invoked the idea of shining a light up to heaven. Then, they took the lasers and turned them into a symbol for the wings, twisting and turning their way up the the Maker. During Vicarious, the lasers seemed to stab out and touch the audience, hinting at the sort of universal guilt that the song describes. This culminated in an array that pointed to/over the entirety of the crowd. The visual displays were quite effective too. Not too showy, not too stagnant, just appropriate and profound.

Unfortunately, Tool does have a few fans who I can only describe as "douchebags." You know them, the ones who drink shitloads of beer and cuss out the opening act, who puff their chests out and try to rock out in a "manly", restrained fashion, who are so unimaginative that every other word out of their mouth if "fuckin" this and "fuckin" that. Those people really took away from the experience for me. At least some of the people were courteous and respectful, namely the people directly adjacent to me.

Which leads me to another point; I found it very interesting to sit and classify all the types of people by their appearance (not to say that I know who they are, but rather commenting on the image they gave off.) You had your douchebags, you had your kids who looked like they rolled around in the tacklebox/Hot Topic (many of whom looked QUITE strung out,) the nerdy individuals with the videogame shirts/awkward glasses/what not, the older crowd (who were nearly all quite pleasant during the concert), and then the fellows who came primarily for intellectual stimulation. I wonder, if you saw me tonight, which I would fall under in your eyes.

Anyway, to summarize, many good moments, wish I could have been closer, and I would have paid all that money just to see Wings/10000 Days.

One question though: during Vicarious, what three colors were in the spectral-spread effect? Blue, Green, and Red, or was there a Yellow instead in there?

zzzsleepzzz
09-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Just got back...3rd time seeing them this week....DEFINITELY THE BEST ONE TONIGHT!! No fucking way Pittsburgh was louder...that crowd was lame compared to tonight....only dissappointment was the lack of cheering when maynard said "TOOL 2008". He wasn't saying they'd be back around then touring (as stated above)....he meant running for pres...come on now. I personally screamed my ass of cause maynard should be the new president....too much LSD talking now...new show monday wilkes barre for my 12th show....

Elite
09-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Just got back, and wow fucking amazing. The whole band seemed to have been in a very good mood and also seemed to be appreciative of the crowd. From the other reviews I've read there were some nasty crowds and the band didn't respond well, but this was just an overall great show for the fans and the band.

Highlights - Stinkfist was fuckin awesome at the beggining, I was towards the top and the lighting on the stage with those green squares was just amazing.

Wings for Marie/10,000 days was beautfiul, I was most excited for this one and it definitely delivered, and the lasers made it even more awesome, very well done and it sounded great.

Lateralus was probably my favorite song of the night, the energy at the point was topped out and once again, the lasers were just sick.

THE LIGHTERS! haha that was cool, I got a few pictures of that and that really was a great moment.

Jambi - the talk box solo wow, he was fuckin on point.

The animations for forty six and two were mind boggling, really makes ya open your eyes a little bit, the whole evolution scenes were inspiring.

And the closer, Aenema, could not have been better. Great song to close out with, a classic tool song that leaves you a reminder of who they are. ( on a side note, anyone else realize it started raining outside after the concert "CAUSE IM PRAYIN FOR RAIN" Coincidence? I think not. Haha j/k.)

However, I was wondering if anyone remembers all the comments Maynard had tonight? The opening one had something to do with George Bush, another one about "junior" and some other comments. If anyone heard well and could post what he said I would appreciate it.

Oh yea, and could anyone make out if they lasers were drawing any images or anything? I couldn't tell from where I was sitting, and they seemed to have gotten cut off from the things hanging from the ceiling.

durkabajung
09-30-2006, 10:17 PM
One question though: during Vicarious, what three colors were in the spectral-spread effect? Blue, Green, and Red, or was there a Yellow instead in there?

Yeah, there was yellow. And on the jumbo tron hangy-down screen they were showing the Eye from the Vicarious opening on their website. I agree with you, whoever coordinated the light-show was amazing. It added so much more to it all.

RaG3aH0liC
09-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the new world order. Great show. It was just under two hours again. I would say without a doubt that it is the best of the three times I have seen them this year. Accoustics were really solid. It was also cool to see so many damn people , totally animated by the music.

More later, sleep now.

durkabajung
09-30-2006, 10:20 PM
However, I was wondering if anyone remembers all the comments Maynard had tonight? The opening one had something to do with George Bush, another one about "junior" and some other comments. If anyone heard well and could post what he said I would appreciate it.

He said

" It's been 10 years now. 10 years of your favorite serial killer. Give a bow, Junior."

Something along those lines. I think naturally everybody thought he was talking about Justin.

Mr Dayne
09-30-2006, 10:36 PM
The band owes me a new pair of jeans. The show was awesome. This was my first time seeing Tool live, and I was not let down at all. I have been dabbling with the drums for a few years now so Danny Carey hijaked the majority of my attention. He was really impressive....His album work is impressive, but to see him play live and masterfully execute all of that stuff was truly remarkable. Maynard was spot on.....Justin is sick....Adam was money....it was good.

Jambi was friggin sick. I hear a lot of folks praise Wings and Lateralus as the show stoppers, but you folks reading this that haven't been to your show yet, wait until you hear Jambi.

Our neighbors were ok too. Especially this one girl that was sitting right next to us (in section 111)....really cute, curly blonde hair, she was money. While we waited for Tool to take the stage we talked about the band and our favorite albums. She was by herself which I found totally odd. The only wierdo's in our section was one dude who was walking up and down the stairs trying to throw up the metal sign to everyone, but he was too drunk to remember to close his thumb. This one dude told him: "Yeah, I love you too bro." The drunkard didn't get it. And there was this one dude that kept screaming and Hardcore dancing through Wings and 10k days. I thought "wow.This conduct perfectly compliments this ode to Maynards dead mother."

I'm super tired and my ears are ringing, so I'll post more tomorro....I mean later today.

john
10-01-2006, 12:26 AM
First time since seeing them in Jersey in 2002. Very good show.

"Welcome to the New World Order" - very appropriate in downtown dc
STinkfist was awesome
The intro part of The Pot was great - the crowd and maynard singing the first few lines back at each other
The little intro segue into 46&2 was fantastic! I really liked that one.
Jambi was better than on the album
Schism was great - especially the middle part I've heard so much about it - it definitely lived up to the hype
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned were better than they are on the album, but...Rosetta Stoned was a little too awkward for that set, I don't know it just didn't seem right. PLus maynard's effects box killed his volume and so only the parts sung normally came out at EQ
Wings/10kD was incredible.
The lighters part was cool and I definitely got some cool pics of that.
then of course, Lateralus. The single greatest song ever written. Every show, ever, should have Lateralus in it. Period. Best song ever. The crowd REALLY got into this one too, which was great.
Vicarious was good, but I agree with the above poster who said it was out of place (or something along those lines). Personally I think it should go earlier, and maybe add another "classic" tool song to fill out the second "set" *cough* Opiate
"Good fucking night! Hey hey hey hey...."
Aenema. Best closer ever. Just as every show should have Lateralus, every show should end on Aenema. PS - How great was it when the crowd BEAT maynard towards the end, to the point where Maynard physically lifted his hand as if to signal "No, I lead this verse, not you....follow me!" And we did.

This rowdy bunch behind me were chanting rather hilariously for "Hush" at first, but it quickly deteriorated into a "Jerk-Off" chant/request that lasted most of the show, haha. Unfortunately, they didn't get the crowd supprot they were looking for, but yes, Jerk-Off would have been awesome, haha

I love the crowd at tool shows becuase its such a broad spetrum. for example tonight I saw a man in a purpleish sport jacket and striped polo (classic boating wear) standing next to your typical run-of-the-mill phishhead. Fantastic.

Maynard also said at one point in the beginning (as best I remember it):
"I want to welcome a special guest here with us - our boy GW! Yeah!"
Crowd boos mercilessly
"I'm just kidding, I wouldn't invite that fucking clown..."
Crowd cheers

Justin was going off tonight. I haven't seen anyone get THAT into playing music in quite some time - very refreshing. Especially, when he's anchored on the other side by the immoveable object that is Adam Jones.

Danny was ridiculous, as per usual, and Maynard was rocking out all over the place.

The visuals were good...I really didn't expect THAT much recycling from past tours, and playing the music video seems like a little bit of a cop-out, but I happen to love the videos, so I'll let that one slide, haha.

Overall, once again I am left in awe.

Erik Amerika
10-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Props to Maynard for giving the shocker. I believe it was during Lateralus.

yourealizethis
10-01-2006, 03:20 AM

Was it just me, or did they seem to play the first few songs slower than usual? I didn't get into it as much as I would have liked until Wings for Marie, but then I was also sitting in the upper concourse. I used binoculars, but it feels too much like watching a concert video rather than the actual thing with the damn thing shaking in front of your eyes. Midway through I put it down, only picking it up to see Danny's wicked fills and to check too see if I play the chorus to Vicarious correctly (I'm fairly confident I do now).

Special Effects-
Some very interesting choices for special effects, especially the use of the lasers. During Wings when they were introduced, they very clearly invoked the idea of shining a light up to heaven. Then, they took the lasers and turned them into a symbol for the wings, twisting and turning their way up the the Maker. During Vicarious, the lasers seemed to stab out and touch the audience, hinting at the sort of universal guilt that the song describes. This culminated in an array that pointed to/over the entirety of the crowd. The visual displays were quite effective too. Not too showy, not too stagnant, just appropriate and profound.

Unfortunately, Tool does have a few fans who I can only describe as "douchebags." You know them, the ones who drink shitloads of beer and cuss out the opening act, who puff their chests out and try to rock out in a "manly", restrained fashion, who are so unimaginative that every other word out of their mouth if "fuckin" this and "fuckin" that. Those people really took away from the experience for me. At least some of the people were courteous and respectful, namely the people directly adjacent to me.

Which leads me to another point; I found it very interesting to sit and classify all the types of people by their appearance (not to say that I know who they are, but rather commenting on the image they gave off.) You had your douchebags, you had your kids who looked like they rolled around in the tacklebox/Hot Topic (many of whom looked QUITE strung out,) the nerdy individuals with the videogame shirts/awkward glasses/what not, the older crowd (who were nearly all quite pleasant during the concert), and then the fellows who came primarily for intellectual stimulation. I wonder, if you saw me tonight, which I would fall under in your eyes.

Anyway, to summarize, many good moments, wish I could have been closer, and I would have paid all that money just to see Wings/10000 Days.

yeah it is very interesting to see the different people. I know during the show, it doesn't matter where the hell I am, I contort like a spastic monkey on 7 different kinds of crack picking which rhythms I'm gonna express through gestures, or maybe I'm just imitating Maynard subconsciously. If I accidentally smack into someone real hard, I immediately apologize and go about my happy little way, back into bubble where I am w/Tool....much like other people. No clue where I fit in. I just hope the ones who appear stupid and meatheadish on the outside truly start to get inspired and have their mind, body and heart affected as well. I hope those people start to get Tool or wanna get to know more about Tool. A friend of mine that I invited, who was a Tool virgin, asked if anyone else was playing after Tool. With much certainty, I can say that the stupidity and ignorance of that sentence made me classify him as a stupid ignorant person at that point in time, even though I know him to better than that. even thoughPerhaps that will be the stupidist thing to ever be muttered from his lips. But alas, I took the high-road(no pun intended, unless you think it would crack your shit up, then by all means, have your silly pun) and explained to him some of the Tool ways. I guess I can't blame him, he went to the Vigin Festival festival thingy w/multiple

Parallel
10-01-2006, 04:31 AM
Oh yea, and could anyone make out if they lasers were drawing any images or anything? I couldn't tell from where I was sitting, and they seemed to have gotten cut off from the things hanging from the ceiling.

two circles overlapping one another, and then just little things like this [_|_|_] with three different colors at the end (all around the venue. in ma, at least) it was pretty cool, actually. it looked like a border you'd see in a child's room or something.

sinfall
10-01-2006, 05:29 AM
Our (mine & wife's) first Tool concert. She wasn't a big fan going in, but on the way home she pulled out all of their CD's and jammed the whole way home. I've been listening to them since '93 and I'm kicking myself for never going to one of their other tours

Great show! You know the setlist already. My section had a Camera Nazi event staff, but we managed to get a bunch of pics and vids from my wife's cell phone.

I would have to say the lights and stage show were the best on the last 3 songs. The maynardisms were great tonight and they all seemed like they were in a good mood. You could see Camella (Adam's wife) taking photos of maynard from behind Adam's amps. Hopefully we will get to see the pics some day!

I couldn't really get into ISIS. I think almost everyone sat down during their set or were walking in/out.

There was quite the spectrum of people. A couple of douchebags sitting next to us that either him or his gf would have to leave during ever other fucking song. That got old especially when they would come back he kept hitting my wife in the ribs to signal to let them back in the row.

Overall the show was awesome and my wife is now a fan for life as well. I'll have the pics up later tonight.

soulisshaking
10-01-2006, 07:37 AM
I love the sound in the MCI center. But I hate the security Bastards. I was dancing in the hallway, not touching anyone, becasue I was sober and aware of my surroundings, and from the beginning of the show until Lost Keys, this one cool security gaurd was giving my high fives and was like right on, keep dancing. Then this bastard security gaurd came over and told me to find a seat...then he "caught me dancing" again, and gave me the second strike warning....So anyways I had to go dance in front of a seat which is impossible. So to everyone in section 404ish I apologize for blocking your view. BUT YOU WERE SITTING AT A ROCK CONCERT. YOU WERE SITTING DURING TOOL!!!

Anyways sound was great, show was great, and I can't wait until the spring 2007 tour. Floor seats at venues where there are seats suck, because you can't move around, and at MCI they are really hard core about keeping the aisles clear....so no dancing on the floor. Hopefully they will come back to Richmond, or other arenas with no seats on the floor, so meatheads can mosh up front, and I can dance in the back of the floor!!

The different types of people amaze me as well at tool shows....I listen to mainly live electronic music....and am a cross between/ phish/dead head, DJ house trance music club kid, and a TOOL head...its a weird combination, but leads to lots of dancing and positive spirituality. I saw Tool for the first time in 1993...and have seen them 8 times total now...I love all their music, but I missed not getting a disposition>Reflection>Triad.....which I think is the greatest three song combo ever. A parabola would be nice as well....hopefully they will add those back in during the next tour...and maybe mix up the setlist.

So Arcantus...I completely agree with your comments on who gets Tool in what ways....it does not matter what gets you off, or how you get off, as long as you get off...without being an ass to others. I know the people behind me while I was dancing thought I was an ass.....but THEY WERE SITTING DOWN AT A TOOL CONCERT.

ScAred_Like_yoU
10-01-2006, 07:52 AM
WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER.
just under 20,000 people at that show last night. after about halfway through the show there was about fifteen more people per row than seats (in section 100) i didnt mind at all. loved how maynard opened up trashin on W, "I'de like to introduce you to our special geust, Mr. GW... Just kidding i'de never invite that fucking clown" im surprised the crowd didnt boo bush as much as i thought they should. after 10000 days they band all put their instruments down and sat down on center stage, maynard lit a lighter and 6000 people followed in seconds, then after a short chill session, where i saw about a dozen people light up their joints, they al jumped back and started playin lateralus and the whole arena went apeshit. Danny was on all night, he had some crazy drum solos during schism. Overal the whole show was incredible, but prices on everything were jacked up like shit, $38 a tshirt(but i got it anyway), and like $70 for a hoodie, but mostly $7 a beer cashed my wallet before Isis even finshed their set(btw Isis had teribble acoustics, the only thing they were worth was giving people time to get drunk before tool came on). most of the people i saw inside had all been to at least a couple tool shows before, they were all chill even though everybody was in eachothers seats. Vicarious sounded great live, the whole lineup was incredible. I just wished they'de played third eye or anything off the opiate album. Just a great show, helluva enviroment to candyflip with all the laser lights and videos, definitly memorable

VOTE MAYNARD 2008!

jre9198
10-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I believe what he said was, "We'd like to give a shoutout.... to a special guest. Mr GW" Then there were the boos, and the confusion. Then Maynard said, "Yeah right, you think I'd invite that fuckin clown?"

My first tool show ever. And it was amazing.

Isis sucked. The three guitarist to the left were all moving together like it was a choreographed seizure. And what was with the keyboard players leg? Anyone else see that? Shaking like he had to piss real bad. My brother pointed it out to me and I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of his set. The lead singer's voice wasn't all bad, but he would only sing for about 10 seconds, and then it would be 2 minutes of the same riff over and over. Why do they need 4 guitarists.... They could suck with one.... and their name backwards is SISI.

But Tool............. Man............. Rocked that shit. When he said Pitt was louder, he got some cheers. Then he said, "Nope. They were still louder." And I thought it got pretty loud. Then he said, "Look. I'm going to give you one last chance." That's when I thought a damn train was coming through the place.

One thing I really liked about Maynard was his stage presence. Even though he stays in the back... Anyone notice his mic boom was taller than him, but when he sang into it, his voice made him taller than the building. And the way he moved. During Stinkfist when the lights were going crazy, he looked like a demon or something, and I just lost it.

___________ Bottom line - I have never seen anything like that. And I will never miss a show when they come back around..... 4years, how many days????

soulisshaking
10-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Scared Like you...thats a good attitude about having too many people in an area, and not getting upset, because someone is n your seat!! Thats how it should be. Its a live experience,and we are all in it together, and want to be as close as possible.

So I mentioned SITTING AT A TOOL concert.....and then I was thinking about the spiritual experience. Most of the times I dance....but sometimes, I am know to sit in the best lotus position I can do, with my finger connected, forarms siting on my elbows, eyes closed.....and just meditate and feel the music move through me....

So again, its a to each their own, but when you buy a ticket to a rock concert, you have to realize that people are there for different reasons, and different things get different people off. So if you want to watch the screen sitting at your seat, keep moving until you find the best unobstructed view you can. If you want to be in the pit(which is impossible at MCI) get in the pit. If you want to dance..find some floor and get you feet and arms moving. If you want to be a drunk asshole....go for it(although there should be a cage to house them in)....and if you want to sit quietly and meditate....go to the chillest area in the arena you can find, which is probably as far to the left or right of the band as you can get...almost behind them up top...thjose people are probably pretty chilled out. make the most of your experience..I know I did (I just wish, I did not have to try to dance in front of a seat for half of the show)

TOOL CONCERTS=Church, and spiritual experience of the highest order.

Sky22
10-01-2006, 08:11 AM
That was my first Tool show and I was definitely not dissapointed. It took me about 3-4 songs to realize I was actually there seeing them. My seats in section 112 were awesome except one of Danny's big ass symbols was blocking him from view. But I could see everyone else clearly, so that was good. Between Isis and Tool, these hicks behind me we're saying some racist slurs and talking about these two hookers that the four of them banged or some shit. I was so happy when the music started and drowned out their fucking voices.

The final three songs were amazing. Everyone has talked about how good Lateralus is live, and I am so glad that I finally got to experience. Vicarious is also awesome live. I really liked the lights when they opened with Stinkfist too. I'm totally hooked and will find a way to see them on every remaining tour they have!

mind_tap
10-01-2006, 08:22 AM

Special Effects-

On the douchbag issue... I was in the 5th row, and yes, you should have paid as much as necessary to be able to see them that close (it was worth every penny or hour slaving away at my mindless job). I'm a crazy liberal, I would never advocate the death penalty for anyone... except the douchbag with a laser pointer up in the nose bleeds who thought it would be cool to fuck with maynard the entire concert. To that ahole, I would gladly strap you into the electric chair myself and flip the switch. Maynard was in a great mood the whole night, but who knows what we all could have experienced if that douchbag didn't piss maynard off, and trust me, he was pissed (he actually spent a good deal of time trying to pinpoint the douch to security, and if they suceeded, i hope they kicked the shit out of him before they threw his ass out).
But yes, the concert/religious life experience will not be forgotten, and Lateralus is the greatest song/musical message ever. Embrace the glory of life people, SPIRAL OUT.

Superfuzz
10-01-2006, 08:24 AM
awesome show, my first tool showw ever

I LOVED IT when they opened with stinkfist, athough the tempo seemed slow, it rocked hard. 46&2 was great as well. I'm not a big fan of the new album, but I think ive been converted to THe POt and to a lessr extent, Jambi. BUt Rosetta Stoned/WIngs/10000 Days, etc., didnt really do anything for me. THe whole Verizon(MCI, w/e) Center was ABLAZE with lighters during the chill break. LIghts show was absolutely amazing, and I was hoping for the visuals to be more like what I ve seen/heard about the lateralus tour, but it was nice to be able to see maynard and his weird legs wide apart bobbing around stance...lol. Last 3 songs, I have never heard anyone rock harder in my life...Lateralus was awesome, itdidnt matter if vicarious felt aout of place at first, my heart sank when they started playing it(vicarious) at first, but it rocked so hard it didnt matter, and Aenema was AMAZING. talk about everybody being into it, and just oin the dot hard freakin rocking. My onkly disappointemnt of the night, was not one opiate song, more lateralus/aenima and TRIAD.....i would KILL to hear TRIAD live just ONCE.....but a greeat show...my best EVER....that will change wiht more TOOL concerts...god i hope they come back in the spring..

Jambi_Eyes
10-01-2006, 08:52 AM
This was my 1st Tool show, and was by far the greatest concert, and night of my life.

Isis was actually really good.

Tool opened up with stinkfist after maynard came on and said "Welcome to the new world order." Stinkfist sounded awesome, esspecially the extended bridge.

I'm still in too much awe to go into too much details, but the entire show blew my fucking mind, I got like a natural high from it.

Greatest fucking show ever. Tool is my favorite band, and the fact that I was actually there for the first time seeing them was unbelievable.

I am now even more in love with Jambi after last night, as with basically every other song played.

Hope they come back around Va soon. I'd see them in a heartbeat.

Arkham Asylum
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
The show was incredibly jawsome. Even though it's not close to being my favorite song, Lateralus kicked everyone's ass up one side of the street and down the other. The energy of that song is tremendous; the way everyone describes it does not even do it justice.

This was my first Tool show (and first time seeing Isis as well, they were pretty decent). My entire list of things to do before I die was "See Tool". I could get stabbed right now and not give a shit.

Overall, great show, a different setlist may have been nice (older stuff), but no complaints and I am grateful for what I got. The visuals were very cool, the laser lights hit this balance between being spectacular and being Pink Floydian and/or corny, either way it put a smile on my face and a sense of wonder was instilled in me.

Section 113 was definitely the place to be (in my opinion, it's way more fun to just watch Justin and Danny tear it up, they are truly the heart and soul of this band).

As for the clapping for GW, this was the Southernmost date Tool is playing (disregard Texas and any of the midwest for the moment), so a large chunk of the audience was from the South (haha can you blame them?)

"Right in Two" would have been perfect for the venue, but maybe next life.

Thank you, Tool.

Arkham Asylum
10-01-2006, 09:46 AM
One more thing: Ænema is a phenomenal closer, everything was perfect, the crowd was shouting along, I almost got a forward-moving wave started (not side to side like at sporting events) during the "And I'm praying for tidal waves", the video for that is easily Tool's best, and the finale with the drumming is mind-boggling.

I don't know which overshadowed which, Ænema or Lateralus, but both in the span of however long Vicarious is is just an orgasmic experience.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
10-01-2006, 10:52 AM
All I can say is: Tool is the greatest band this planet has ever seen!

I actually went with my aunt, and I had some shitty tickets. We were up in the rafters, and it is so high up there that she freaked out and almost had a panic attack. So we went and talked to guest services and they allowed us to "upgrade" our tickets to section 121, then we were about 50 feet from the stage. She's never been to a show, and she was apologizing to me at first for freaking out. I was like NO NO NO, you just made the show a hundred times better for us hah. What amazing luck - my mind was blown. I was about to shit myself. What can I say, I'm not gonna try to analyze the show. It was an amazing experience. They were definitely ON. Best Tool show I have ever seen by far. Very cool people too. Sean, Chris and David, it was my pleasure to share that experience with you guys and everyone else!

smakawhat
10-01-2006, 11:02 AM
umm... uh.. I moved to the dc area 5.5 years ago and missed my chance to see the band.. I had only been waiting since 1992..

waiting...

waiting...

15+ years it finally happened.... I have been going to shows for over 17 years and this was the most emotional, exhausting, and intense concert I have ever witnessed.

I can finally die happy

thank you :)

thanks guys.

PS - if anyone has pics of this show or vids please email them to me. I know you do fuckers I saw you in section 113 (you know who you are :) )

ThIrdEyeCarrots46
10-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Some little guy in front of me in section 105 s was doing a really annoying drunkin monkey jive.

i was in 105 e. i stood for pretty much everything but wings/10,000 days. the people behind me were sitting most of the time so i kind of felt bad, but i wanted to stand and groove to it.

kamikaze87
10-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey eslupminoyler, I was in section 105 M. I think I know the guy you were talking about doing the crazy dance lol. He was basically standing in the walking area going nuts! I was gettting real into the music too, but section 105 seemed about as dry as hell...there were a few people just nodding their heads but I saw some people sitting down and some were just standing there as if they had never even listened to Tool before.

All I can say though is, fucking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G show!

MoshPit
10-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Best...Show...Ever!!!

zbf
10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
i cannot remember during which song... but there was an image on the screen of an infinity sign with two circles overlapping. does anyone know where it originates from or if there's a picture of it online? thanks.

overall, amazing show, as always.

win
10-01-2006, 01:57 PM
great performance. Terrific energy. I liked the set list (although it was clearly to be expected looking at the performances leading up to this one). Barely any mistakes, although one in 10,000 days was at a little more criticial of a time, but quickly forgotten as the music continued. I tink 10,000 days p1 and p2 were awe inspiring. Earlier in their tour, when that was missing in the set lists I was concerened but getting to hear it was beautiful. I loved the media clips, although some were recycled from last tour. It did make me wonder about when a video will be coming out. I though the clips for rossetta stoned were best. More than anything I was happy I got to go and have the experience. They never let me down.

xfacktor
10-01-2006, 03:07 PM
My son was initiated last night at the TOOL concert in Washington, D.C. at Verizon Center Arena.

The lights went out a little after 9:00 PM and the mantra-like sound resonated throughout the arena. Maynard grabbed the microphone and said, "Welcome to the New World Order," and then the band launched into energy-filled Stinkfist. When the song was over, Maynard said with somewhat pleasantly surprised inflection, "Well, thank you very much."

The Pot was next with pauses between the beginning lyrics. The crowd ended up singing the lyrics before Maynard like they were playing back at each other. This was an excellent song live, and when the song ended, Maynard said, "We'd like to give a shout-out to a special guest. Mr. G.W." The crowd booed mercilessly and then MJK responded, "Yeah right, you think I'd invite that fuckin' clown?"

The third song was 46 & 2, and to me, it sounded better this time around as compared to the Lateralus tour in '02.

At this point, the visuals were evolving. Stinkfist had no visuals at all; The Pot had one screen behind the stage active and the Jumbo-tron hanging over the crowd. During 46 & 2 the screens behind the stage were filled. The screens, however, are much smaller, approximately 4' - 5' high instead of the large screens they had during the Lateralus tour.

Jambi was the fourth song, and the heavy bass drums were like thunder through the arena. Jambi rocks live!

A slower version of Schism followed, and this was one song I thought was better on the Lateralus tour.

In a type of break for the band, Lost Keys began playing before the long run the band had coming. Green lights were lighting up the stage from the floor, and the trance like song was a nice change of pace before Rosetta Stoned.

Rosetta Stoned is a really interesting song to hear live. It's difficult to describe, but is performed flawlessly. For me, it's a much better song live than the recorded version and the band's talent shows.

The visuals really picked up following Rosetta Stoned with extensive use of lasers starting with Wings for Marie. It was one of the best use of lasers I've seen in a long time. Rather than just laser beams, the lights would form a type of canopy over the crowd resembling a green cloudy sky. It's incredible to see live. TOOL immediately goes into 10,000 Days without hesitation providing a spiritual experience for many in the crowd. If the band only played these two songs, it would have been worth it. They could have walked off of the stage then and I would have been satisfied.

After 10,000 Days, the band sat on stage together, looking at the crowd and taking it all in. That's when Justin held up his lighter. On queue, flames from the lighters of all of the fans at the concert were lit. People who didn't have lighters lit up their cell-phones (hadn't seen that before). It reminded me of the old Coca-Cola commercial, where everyone was holding a candle "I'd like to give the world a Coke." A spectacular sight nonetheless.

For the encore, TOOL played an excellent version of Lateralus, which the crowd really got into. Following that was Vicarious, which sounded as good live as the recording. At this point, every laser and screen was going in full motion.

When Vicarious ended Maynard looked out at the crowd, raised his arm and said, "Good-fucking-night." Two seconds later, the band launched into Aenima for their closing song. The crowd went nuts; you could feel the energy ripping through you. When Maynard would sing, "And I'm praying for rain. I'm praying for tidal waves," the crowd would raise their arms and make rain-like gestures. Interestingly, I thought this song was the best closer possible considering the radical Christian fundamentalism that permeates American politics today. How could someone not appreciate "Some say the end is near, some say we'll see Armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will; I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks," in the context of Washington, D.C.?

After the song concluded, Danny threw his drumsticks to the crowd while the other band members threw Frisbees and water bottles.

My thoughts for everyone, whatever you do, don't miss seeing this band live. If you haven't seen TOOL live, whatever the price, do it.

Now then, to my ex-wife who called me and told me how I was the worst father in the world right as I was taking our 13-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter to see TOOL, all I have to say to your puritanical ass is "FUCK YOU!" Your attempt at trying to ruin our evening failed... as usual.

thegreatunknown
10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
The lights went out a little after 9:00 PM and the mantra-like sound resonated throughout the arena.

did anybody else catch the fact the lights went off exactly at 9:11? at least according to the timepiece I saw... curious.

more later. still in awe. thanks crowd... you did a hell of a lot better than at NIN a year ago.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
My son was initiated last night at the TOOL concert in Washington, D.C. at Verizon Center Arena.

Hah, more like best father in the world. I bet those kids minds were blown!

That show rocked my goddamn socks off, my ears are still ringing!

TabbyA
10-01-2006, 04:05 PM
This was my first Tool concert. Absolutely incredible.

I sat in section 404, upper concourse. Even though I was really far from the stage, everything looked and sounded amazing.

If anyone has any pictures to share, let me know.

spazX22
10-01-2006, 04:14 PM
The evolution animation on 46 and 2 was amazing. Does anyone know if it's possible to get ahold of that?

SPQR anTMan
10-01-2006, 05:03 PM
1st tool concert for me....and wow, amazing. maynard nailed the pot, which shocked me (never seeing them live I didnt expect maynard to sing that good). Justin Chancellor seemed to be so into the concert looked like he was having a blast. Just simply amazing i hope to see them again

apple pants
10-01-2006, 05:20 PM
My first time seeing Tool, and they were great.
I wish they would have done an encore, or just stayed around longer.
I would have loved to hear Prison Sex.
The acoustics weren't that great and it was hard to hear Maynard a lot of the time, but it was still a kick ass show.
Even though there was some dumb drunk guy in standing in the stairwell blocking my sight and pretty much everyone behind him in the 400ishes. Dude, stand at your own seat and get out of my way. I had to keep telling him to move.
But anyways.
I wish I had brought my camera to get some pictures, Maynard looked AMAZING.
It was definitely worth the drive, and then some. I'm just sad that it's over.

apple pants
10-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I love the sound in the MCI center. But I hate the security Bastards. I was dancing in the hallway, not touching anyone, becasue I was sober and aware of my surroundings, and from the beginning of the show until Lost Keys, this one cool security gaurd was giving my high fives and was like right on, keep dancing. Then this bastard security gaurd came over and told me to find a seat...then he "caught me dancing" again, and gave me the second strike warning....So anyways I had to go dance in front of a seat which is impossible. So to everyone in section 404ish I apologize for blocking your view. BUT YOU WERE SITTING AT A ROCK CONCERT. YOU WERE SITTING DURING TOOL!!!

Anyways sound was great, show was great, and I can't wait until the spring 2007 tour. Floor seats at venues where there are seats suck, because you can't move around, and at MCI they are really hard core about keeping the aisles clear....so no dancing on the floor. Hopefully they will come back to Richmond, or other arenas with no seats on the floor, so meatheads can mosh up front, and I can dance in the back of the floor!!

The different types of people amaze me as well at tool shows....I listen to mainly live electronic music....and am a cross between/ phish/dead head, DJ house trance music club kid, and a TOOL head...its a weird combination, but leads to lots of dancing and positive spirituality. I saw Tool for the first time in 1993...and have seen them 8 times total now...I love all their music, but I missed not getting a disposition>Reflection>Triad.....which I think is the greatest three song combo ever. A parabola would be nice as well....hopefully they will add those back in during the next tour...and maybe mix up the setlist.

So Arcantus...I completely agree with your comments on who gets Tool in what ways....it does not matter what gets you off, or how you get off, as long as you get off...without being an ass to others. I know the people behind me while I was dancing thought I was an ass.....but THEY WERE SITTING DOWN AT A TOOL CONCERT.

You were right behind me, if you were the guy wearing the red shirt? And I 've gotta say, you weren't in my way at all. It was awesome to see someone so in to the music without being drunk or really in the way like the guy wearing the Fuck It shirt.

Choke
10-01-2006, 06:38 PM
This was my 5th tool show, and i have to say it was only decent. The lack full visuals up unitl Wings/10,000 was very disappointing. They have a large area above the band that they really should have used. The sound from section 109 seemed to be muddled, very hard to draw out the individual instruments. I really think the need to switch the set around, to me Vicarious would have been a great opener, utilizing full effects, including the lasers. Wings/10,000 was one of the best parts of the show, as well as all of the songs after they band sat on stage. Rosetta Stoned was lackluster, and the visuals Blair discussed filming couldnt be seen unless u looked up at the Score board over the top of the arena, or unless u were at the very top of the seating. The visuals needed to be broadcast fully over the top of the band! all i could see was the top 1/8th of the visuals behind the band members. The lateralus tour in terms of song selection and visuals was far more stimulating to the senses than the 10,000 days show.

junior
10-01-2006, 07:22 PM
He said

" It's been 10 years now. 10 years of your favorite serial killer. Give a bow, Junior."

Something along those lines. I think naturally everybody thought he was talking about Justin.

Since my previous response was deleted (?), I will respond to this again.
This time in a more detailed manner....

As previously stated, I am junior.
That's not meant as a wise-ass comment, and it is certainly not off-topic to a review of this show.
I am the junior that was being referred to.
It wasn't about Justin. Justin has been in Tool for nearly 11 years, anyway.
Just trying to clear that up since there seems to be some confusion.

GelatiCruiser
10-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Awesome show.....I gave it to myself for my birthday....and I got to share it with 5 TOOL virgins....they were all WAY more than impressed. Am thinking of hitting the Wilkes-Barre show tomorrow.

GelatiCruiser
10-01-2006, 07:31 PM
You were right behind me, if you were the guy wearing the red shirt? And I 've gotta say, you weren't in my way at all. It was awesome to see someone so in to the music without being drunk or really in the way like the guy wearing the Fuck It shirt.

Dude....if you were over in 404-ish, I know who you were. I also saw the dude in the red shirt in the portal dancing....props to him, but everyone thought he was wasted. My cousin was sitting in the aisle and the SAME security guard (presuming it was the same section) told my cousin to find a seat twice with TWO songs left. lol To that securty guard....quit taking yourself so seriously hokmes.

Anyone want to hook me with a tic tomorrow?

digicypher4632
10-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I was in 105 also, down in row Q. I went with a friend of mine that has listened to Tool, but I don't think he ever quite "got it" until last night. Fucking amazing show. Wings pt 1 and 2 was easily the best part of the show. The whole section I was in seemed pretty chill. Friend of mine was freaking out about smoking at the show, and I told him if we didn't smell pot.... there was a problem. Sure enough, right when the pot started, 4 or 5 people around us lit up, so it was only right I followed suit... There was a couple sitting right on either side of us that sat the entire show, but hey, different people enjoy the show in different ways, so to each his/her own.

Overall, fucking amazing show, it was my first live Tool show, and I'm definately getting tickets to the next one thats anywhere remotely close to Delaware.

eslupminoyler
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Isis sucked. The three guitarist to the left were all moving together like it was a choreographed seizure. And what was with the keyboard players leg? Anyone else see that? Shaking like he had to piss real bad. My brother pointed it out to me and I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of his set. The lead singer's voice wasn't all bad, but he would only sing for about 10 seconds, and then it would be 2 minutes of the same riff over and over. Why do they need 4 guitarists.... They could suck with one.... and their name backwards is SISI.

Isis was awesome. Far more emotional on guitar than tool. The sound just sucked there, and you couldn't make out the guitars.

helmut28
10-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Drove nearly 8 hours from Columbia, SC with three friends. Stayed with my Aunt in Alexandria. Sooooo worth it.

Amazing show. Visuals were awesome, sound was great. I sat in 403. I was stunned the entire time. The only bad thing about the show was this douche behind me kept screaming the words to all the songs extremely loud and obnoxious, drowning out Maynard and changing the words to suit his drunk ass. For example, he shouted "I wanna get high" during the Pot. He ruined Aenima for me by screaming "Better Swim" the entire time. If you're going to scream the lyrics, at least get them right. What a jackass.

Anyways, I love when they sat down together on stage after 10,000 Days. Really cool vibes from that. And to the dancing guy: rock on. I saw you the whole concert and it was great seeing someone so moved by the music. I sat down during 10,000 Days. Stood up most of the rest of the concert. 46 and 2 killed me, and so did Schism. Rosetta Stoned rocked. Lateralus brought me to my knees. Stinkfist was a great opener. Also, Isis was pretty badass too. They played a good set. I'd pay to see them again. Glad I finally saw Tool. I've had an itch since forever to see them... can't wait 'till next spring.

ryry85
10-01-2006, 10:49 PM
First, I want to thank EVERYONE who came out to the show. I seriously believe that D.C. brought the fucking noise lastnight. This was the best crowd i have ever been apart of. once again....THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!! Especially everyone in sec 100....cool motherfuckers in there feeling out the whole night. Everybody was moving. and to the guy infront of me in row H....I would have hit the Jay but my girl wouldnt have liked that too much. Enough bout the crowd though......Why would anyone Nit-pick about all the stupid standard malfunctions of a huge live productions.? Tool was on point. The most on point i have ever seen them. I've been following the tour on youtube.com. Nothing even remotely close to being there........obviously. I was amazed at how on maynard was. It seemed as if getting over his sickness has really re-amped him for this leg of the tour. I believe its totally called for for everyone to see the show at least three times to take it all in...........but anywho.......great fucking show......seems like it was better than a lot of the shows that ive been reading about........that or the D.C. Crowd is just that damn cool that they dont bitch bout someone hitting one bad note!!!!!!!!

sinfall
10-02-2006, 03:13 AM
What was maynards reference to 2008?

mikeinmclean
10-02-2006, 03:27 AM
I'm a big TOOL fan but I just can't drink the coolaid on Rosetta/10,000 and especially lost keys. Save the, "You just don't get it dude." Yea, whatever stoners. They could have shipped some of that and played Right in Two and maybe something older. I'm glad maynard limited his Bush bashing. I voted for kerry also, even though he was a terrible candidate, but I tire easily of celebs piling on the right. We get it, you're a blind lefty, now shut up and act/sing whatever. As far as the show. They were awesome. Maynard sounded great for the most part and the other three are at the top of the talent pool of rock music. If there is a better Drummer than DC, I don't know who it is. Tool filled up the upper deck and even metallica, with a much better warm up band (Godsmack) didn't do that. Great show, but they can fuck themselves with thier $43 2x Tee shirts that would still be to small.

judas96
10-02-2006, 03:51 AM
Man, just got back to NYC from DC, and the show was AWESOME. 46+2 was amazing and spectacular, Lateralus and Vicarious, too. Decent place, security couldn't see me stokin' it, so I was happy. Yeah, I could have made do without "Lost Keys" in favor of Parabola or Hooker, but they will probably not play that and Rosetta and Wings 1+2 ever again so, it was cool. Excellent show and WAY BETTER SOUND than the small house show at NYC City Center in May. I guess the soundman must be reading all these posts here about "less bass, more Maynard". That's what we got Saturday in DC. Thanks to the soundman! Yay!

Maynard had more to say than reported at other shows. Funny how the moron above here calls all non-Righties "blind Lefties". Too bad Bush sucks, huh? Yeah, I guess it would be bad to SAY SO, huh? Jeeeeesh.....

He is correct about the T-shirt prices. Total gouge. Hey TOOL, We bought the records, we bought a ticket, we paid TicketBastard, too. How about a BREAK for the real TOOL fan who actually SHOWS UP TO SEE YOUR ASS?

This must be their last tour, as they are grabbing all the gold they can, and don't care whom they insult in that way.
"I HOPE< I HOPE< I HOPE< YOU CHOKE!"

judas96
10-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Oh yeah, and the "candle moment" of everyone holding up their lighters was fuller than any I've ever seen. I've been going to (and playing) shows since Jethro Tull in 77, and this one was by far the brightest, with the most lighters. Very amazing.

Arcantus
10-02-2006, 04:46 AM
He is correct about the T-shirt prices. Total gouge. Hey TOOL, We bought the records, we bought a ticket, we paid TicketBastard, too. How about a BREAK for the real TOOL fan who actually SHOWS UP TO SEE YOUR ASS?

This must be their last tour, as they are grabbing all the gold they can, and don't care whom they insult in that way.

Well, the band members must think it's pretty funny when you walk around with a $40.00 shirt that says "Tool" on it. Hence why aside from the occasional band shirt I wear clothing without words or phrases: it classifies you, typifies you, and discredits your humanity.

wixter75
10-02-2006, 05:27 AM
Some little guy in front of me in section 105 s was doing a really annoying drunkin monkey jive.

I was in 105 too, and I think that I saw the guy you are referring to, I was more interested in seeing the band and being in the moment, but he was definitely a distraction. I am sure he was on something, and instead of relaxing him, it seemed to make him angry and combative towards others and his admittedly very cute girlfriend. I hate to say poor thing, but she seemed to have a lot to deal with in him and his actions that night.

adizzle
10-02-2006, 05:29 AM
mine and mywifes first tool show. her birthday was the day of the show. we drove all the way from south carolina for this show. it was unbelievable. cant wait to see them again. the fans were also great. one idiot though kept shoulering his girl and pissing her off and showing everyone behind him his ass crack. there was alot of weed too. well worth the 1000 mile round trip.
sec 121row n seats 13 + 14

"we'd like to welcome our guest of honor GW, just kidding i wouldnt invite that fucker"

also i think another date someone said that they thought the band around maynards arm was to cover a tattoo, but i think its where his ear moniter was connected. instead of having it clipped to the back of his pants.

thank you tool and everyone there for a truely wonderful experience. see yall next time.

wixter75
10-02-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm glad maynard limited his Bush bashing. I voted for kerry also, even though he was a terrible candidate, but I tire easily of celebs piling on the right. We get it, you're a blind lefty, now shut up and act/sing whatever.

You really do not know much do you? ...Maynard/Tool as a whole are by far not blind lefty's, so maybe you should re-think your statement about being a "big Tool fan" and do some research before making blanket statements that are totally unfounded. I agree with you of sorts on the Kerry comment, but he was still the better option. Hit repeat on your Creed CD now...

adizzle
10-02-2006, 05:32 AM

tool in 2008

ScAred_Like_yoU
10-02-2006, 05:44 AM
yea ryry85 i was in section 100, that was about the chillest group of people i ever met. best crowd ive ever been in too. o and mikeinmclean , i hope you didnt just call maynard a "blind leftist"

HappySlave
10-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Well, the band members must think it's pretty funny when you walk around with a $40.00 shirt that says "Tool" on it. Hence why aside from the occasional band shirt I wear clothing without words or phrases: it classifies you, typifies you, and discredits your humanity.

It makes you a walking billboard whose role you've paid 50.00 to play. You are an advertisement. And don’t wear the shirt of the band you are going to see. Don’t be that guy. :-)

The show was killer. This was my sixth time seeing TOOL and hands down the best time I've ever had at their concert. The new material sounded way better than it did at Coachella, with Adam nailing the Jambi solo and not missing the change into the riffage that precedes it. Danny was a machine, but that is standard. Justin really seems to be taking a more forward role and this is a great thing. Maynard's rooster dance during Rosetta Stoned was hilarious. I was in section 106, row A, and, from here, everything was a sight to behold. I was especially blown away by the crowd response. I have been to probably 300 various concerts/shows over the course of the last ten years and this was the most impressive crowd I've ever been a part of, with the obvious exception of a few individual cells that are ever present. "Pittsburg was louder?" I don't think that is even possible. To the wasted high school dudes who moseyed down to the front of the aisle for Vicarious and Aenema: I'm not sure if anyone told you this or not but you guy's reeked of vomit. I'm really glad I didn't have to ride home with anyone smelling like my freshmen college dorm on a Friday night. Wisdom > Intelligence.

The highlight of the event, however, didn't even happen at the concert. My friends and I arrived in the Chinatown area around 1:30 that afternoon to have a few beers, celebrate seeing the people we want to see more but just don't have the time, and to watch the Va Tech game (only downer of the day but after what happened it really didn't matter). We park under the Verizon Center and are walking to RFD's and I'm wondering if the band is already in town or not. We cross the street and as we turn right upon reaching the sidewalk I realize that Adam Jones is standing on the sidewalk waiting for someone (Camella?) inside one of the stores. Adam Jones. Hanging out. On the sidewalk. I walk a foot away from him, staring like an idiot, I'm sure, and continue on my merry way. I wait until we are probably 30 feet up the street and I let my companions in on the secret. At first they don't believe me but he turns around and sure enough, they are made believers. They want me to go back down there are say something but seeing as how I appreciate and respect their desire for privacy and him not exactly "being on the clock, yet (he is just hanging out after all)," I refuse and keep on trucking. Trust me in saying that this was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. At that moment I wanted nothing more than to walk back down there, open my mouth, and tell him that since discovering TOOL in early 1994 they have been an integral part of my development from adolescence, through puberty, and into adulthood. That they have been with me through heartache and angst and loss, love and hate, self destruction and self discovery, addiction and release, depression and elation. I wanted more than anything to thank him for this gift but inside I felt the words would have been unnecessary. The four people that make up this collective know that they strike a deep chord with certain people and that we appreciate their work. Our heroes, whether they are rock stars or teachers or parents or soldiers or activists, whether they are real or fictional, are however, ultimately individuals just like us. We are the ones who elevate their status. Aldous Huxley once said that "all gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." Walking past Mr. Jones on the street, just like I would any other normal human being, did more for my Self than going up and being "the fan" I so desired to be because I saw one of my heroes as they really are. I saw him as another human being on a crowded street with the entire relative pretense that we subscribe to our own gods stripped away. It was awesome and I am changed for the better and once again, TOOL has managed to alter my perception in a way that is both beneficial and bittersweet. I could have been selfish and intrusive and been able to post on my MySpace that I met Adam Jones. In doing so, however, I would have only succeeded in cementing his feet into a pedestal and ensuring my inability to ever see him or the rest of the band as human beings like I am and like you are, and the epiphany would have been missed with the moment.

He's really starting to go grey by the way . . .

vankrasn
10-02-2006, 07:15 AM

Ummm, have you been to any other show at a major venue lately? Those are standard t-shirt prices. It's your choice to be a sheep and buy it, or look somewhere else to buy a shirt (try ebay).

sinfall
10-02-2006, 07:25 AM
IWe cross the street and as we turn right upon reaching the sidewalk I realize that Adam Jones is standing on the sidewalk waiting for someone (Camella?) inside one of the stores. Adam Jones. Hanging out. On the sidewalk. I walk a foot away from him, staring like an idiot, I'm sure, and continue on my merry way. I wait until we are probably 30 feet up the street and I let my companions in on the secret. At first they don't believe me but he turns around and sure enough, they are made believers. They want me to go back down there are say something but seeing as how I appreciate and respect their desire for privacy and him not exactly "being on the clock, yet (he is just hanging out after all)," I refuse and keep on trucking.

I think I would have just said "what's up, adam" and kept walking. Acknowledging him and saying hi, but limiting to that and keeping the privacy respect.

Camella was at the show photographing. I saw her taking pics of maynard from behind adams amps.

AlltheteainChina
10-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Great show...section 101 had a clear shot at the whole band. Sounded great from where I was. From what I could see all night, security weren't being nazis at all, they just let everyone jam down uninterrupted. This is the 2nd time I've seen Tool this year (1st one was the 5/20 NYC show) and security was cool there as well. Glad we lucked out. Stinkfist was a fuckin sweet opener, especially just jumping right into it without the intro. Schism on crack was fun as shit...even though I'd already heard it once, I'd forgotten how crazy it was.
I'm not going to try to relate any highlights, because I don't think it ever let up once it started, so, to me, if I point one thing out I liked "the most" then I'd have to mention about 50 other things.
The LASERS were an awesome touch, I didn't quite understand what people meant by lasers "making the smoke look like clouds"...shit, I do now. B a d a s s.
As far as the performance, it was better than I hoped it would be. They were all on point. Adam was great as always, and I didn't feel like Maynard was backing off at all like someone else said. He was going headfirst into all the damn notes. Justin was pulling the rest of the band along behind him, just in his own world driving most of the songs. Danny...shit dude, I'm so damn glad someone decided to hand him a drumstick one day.
Anyway, no complaints, 3rd tool show was (barely) my favorite one so far.

jwb
10-02-2006, 07:40 AM
I think I would have just said "what's up, adam" and kept walking. Acknowledging him and saying hi, but limiting to that and keeping the privacy respect.

I think Adam would have been cool with a quick, "hello." I ran into Justin back in May before the NYC show just walking down the street. I just said, "Hey, are you Justin?" I think I might have scared him a little cause he kinda backed away. But I just told him it was great to meet him, I'm a big fan, looking forward to the show, blah blah. He smiled, said "thanks." No big deal. Now with Maynard I've heard it's better to say nothing, or you'll probably go away disappointed.

Hym
10-02-2006, 07:40 AM

That's funny coming from a TOOL fan.

junior
10-02-2006, 07:43 AM
When he said Pitt was louder, he got some cheers. Then he said, "Nope. They were still louder." And I thought it got pretty loud. Then he said, "Look. I'm going to give you one last chance." That's when I thought a damn train was coming through the place.

Gary, the FOH sound tech on the tour, has been watching the dB levels every night and DC is currently tied with Phoenix for the loudest crowd noise.
110 dB.

AlltheteainChina
10-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Oh yeah, ISIS sounded fuckin awesome. I was in line for beer during "so did we", the first song, but got in there to hear the rest of their set. I've been listening to them for a little while, so I knew what to expect music-wise. I think that a lot of the people that are bitching about them would prob get into them if they listened to em a little bit more. Didn't Rage fans bitch about Tool back in the day when they opened for them? Just remember, you're allowed to like other bands besides Tool.

jwb
10-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Junior, congratulations on ten years of great lighting work.

Here's a question for you. Since you get a perspective of the show that most of us don't, in your opinion, What was the most elaborate TOOL stage set up?

My personal favorite was the second N. American Leg (2002). The current setup seems like a great idea (floor projections), but when you see it it's only okay. Or maybe I'm just missing the great visuals that are usually behind the band, not on the jumbotron above.

blair's man sausage
10-02-2006, 08:07 AM
the show was fantastic overall, great sound, enthusiastic crowd...the place was packed.

best weekend ever for me tool saturday, met a girl who was fucking awesome, and saw the redskins get the best of jacksonville....the tool crowd was almost as loud as the crowd at the game

eslupminoyler
10-02-2006, 08:38 AM
On songs like "the Pot" and "wings" it is important to here Justin, because he is more of the focus. Unfortunately, from 105 I didn't feel the reverberations of the low end at all. The bass drum was also too loud.
It was still enjoyable to a large degree.

junior
10-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Junior, congratulations on ten years of great lighting work.

Here's a question for you. Since you get a perspective of the show that most of us don't, in your opinion, What was the most elaborate TOOL stage set up?

My personal favorite was the second N. American Leg (2002). The current setup seems like a great idea (floor projections), but when you see it it's only okay. Or maybe I'm just missing the great visuals that are usually behind the band, not on the jumbotron above.

I liked the 2002 tour a lot.
I do appreciate the differences that the current tour contains, however.
It allows for 2 very different experiences. If you are on the floor you don't get the video experience as much, but you get some other benefits. If you are high up in the seats you get a cooler experience than you would normally.
Mostly it's just good that Tool aren't afraid of trying something radically different for their shows. Tool have done the same "big screen behind them" look for a lot of tours, and this is quite a departure from that. It could turn out that we go back to something more like that in the future. Hard to say right now. This isn't the last leg of this tour, anyway, so things will probably change again.
From my location at the show (on the floor about 100' from the stage) I don't really see any of the video on the stage deck, but I do see the 6' wall behind them, and occassionally the scoreboard (when we use it). From the pictures I've seen from high up the stage looks pretty cool, though.

sinfall
10-02-2006, 09:42 AM
I think Adam would have been cool with a quick, "hello." I ran into Justin back in May before the NYC show just walking down the street. I just said, "Hey, are you Justin?" I think I might have scared him a little cause he kinda backed away. But I just told him it was great to meet him, I'm a big fan, looking forward to the show, blah blah. He smiled, said "thanks." No big deal. Now with Maynard I've heard it's better to say nothing, or you'll probably go away disappointed.

yea, he seems a bit of an introvert and probably would be overwhelmed with the attention or atleast I could see him coming off as "smug" or snotty.

e_dubs
10-02-2006, 09:44 AM
i've really been in2 tool since lateralus was released. i've always admired the way the songs r arranged. not 2 mention, tool is definitely 1 of the tighest bands... ever. seeing them live 4 the first time was ncredible! the lights, the stage setup, the images, and of course, the music. "pittsburg was louder..." yeah, i don't think so! i know i screamed so much, i had a headache after the show!! and my ears r STILL ringing a bit!!! like a few other people here have mentioned the people around them not being as in2 the show... well, that's their fault. there were a few people bhind me sitting down, and i even heard some1 say something 2 the ffect of "well it looks like we'll have 2 stand if we wanna see anything..." damn right 'cause i ain't sittin'!!! all in all, the show was awesome! my 1st tool was definitely the best rock show i've seen. the band members seem so down 2 earth and "appreciative of the fans" as 1 post mentioned earlier. i'd see them again in a heartbeat!!

FirstDegree
10-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Great show...section 101 had a clear shot at the whole band.

101! We were in 101 E, 9 and 10. Where abouts where you 101?

The show was awesome.. Was My first and My brothers first.. Totally exceeded My very high expectations.. (..and here I worried that My expectations wouldn't be met..) at the very least I was pleasantly surprised and feel that the trip from Baltimore to DC was well worth the Arm and Leg I paid out for it. T-shirts were way too high priced, but eh.. what do you expect? Things arent as cheap as they used to be and probably never will be again. The show was plenty for Me. I was there to be intellectually stimulated by a great show.. and Tool.. now I know why I love you.

jre9198
10-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Isis was awesome. Far more emotional on guitar than tool. The sound just sucked there, and you couldn't make out the guitars.

If that was the case, then why did tool sound so damn good? they were perfect in every aspect. ISIS had potential. I'm not denying that. But man did they blow that night.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank two guys. I have no idea who they were. But we had a guy and his wife with us. Me and my bro were in 101, and his friend and his friend's wife were in 406, last row, and it was his first concert ever. We kind of felt bad, and we were walking around upstairs killing time before the show. All of a sudden, two guys come up and say, "Hey, it would be a shame if these tickets went to waste, but we have to go." And they handed them to our friend. They were section 102.... Then they just walked away. We couldn't believe it! They ended up being like 100 ft from me and my brother. It was so sweet. One of the nicest things I have ever seen. yeah, we were skeptical, waiting the whole show for the "real owners" to come claim their seats, but it never happened. So, thank you. Very very much. You made our friend and his wife enjoy the experience all the more.

Again.... Isis sucked. But, if I could see a video of that leg twitchin on the keyboard player, man I'd probably piss myself.

AlltheteainChina
10-02-2006, 09:56 AM

We were in row L, seats 1-5. I was in 1, by the aisle- caught a couple drunk(?) cats that almost fell on their ass on the way down the stairs, funny stuff.

Mayfair
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
It makes you a walking billboard whose role you've paid 50.00 to play. You are an advertisement. And don’t wear the shirt of the band you are going to see. Don’t be that guy. :-)

I neither agree nor disagree with this statement, but I would like to offer this:

What better thing to advertise than the art that has changed your life? Seems to me, if the music, film, painting, poetry has a fundamental effect on your human experience, you might want to share that with others (and indirectly give them the same gift).

Just a thought.

Tool in D.C. absolutely KILLED. And to Judas96, I totally agree with you... The boys sounded 10x better than NY City Center in May (which is saying something, because I thought they tore the place down on the 2nd night, my night!).

Peace.
MF

jre9198
10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I took 2 pics of the lighters with my cell phone, and they came out remarkable for a cell phone. One was of them on the stage, with their lighter up, and the other is the crowd. I photoshopped, and combined them to make a panorama shot. If anyone would like it email [email protected]

jwb
10-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I liked the 2002 tour a lot.
I do appreciate the differences that the current tour contains, however.
It allows for 2 very different experiences. If you are on the floor you don't get the video experience as much, but you get some other benefits. If you are high up in the seats you get a cooler experience than you would normally.
Mostly it's just good that Tool aren't afraid of trying something radically different for their shows. Tool have done the same "big screen behind them" look for a lot of tours, and this is quite a departure from that. It could turn out that we go back to something more like that in the future. Hard to say right now. This isn't the last leg of this tour, anyway, so things will probably change again.
From my location at the show (on the floor about 100' from the stage) I don't really see any of the video on the stage deck, but I do see the 6' wall behind them, and occassionally the scoreboard (when we use it). From the pictures I've seen from high up the stage looks pretty cool, though.

Glad to hear you are going to stick around for the next leg. I thought Maynard said this was your last show.
Thanks for the insight. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing whatever you guys come up with for the Spring.

adrift&@peace
10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Tool is amazing...I have been to a shitload of concerts, all genres of music, and I feel completely justified in saying that Tool is one of the best effin bands ever. This is the first tour I've been able to get tix for, so I can't compare them to past versions of themselves. I've been waiting to post because I wanted to contribute something new...but I'm still having trouble putting the experience into words. They can't announce the spring tour soon enough for me...I need more Tool...nothing else seems to satisfy ;o)

junior
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=jwb;1446548]Glad to hear you are going to stick around for the next leg. I thought Maynard said this was your last show.QUOTE]

He's been saying that for years. Alas, here I am in Wilkes-Barre.

Novus_
10-02-2006, 03:39 PM
7th Tool show.

Great to hear The Pot and Wings/10,000 Days live.

Definitely enjoyed the light show and the new stage set-up.

The guys were in good spirits and were on top of their game.

TOOL 2008!

Barabbas
10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
My first TOOL show! Overall i would give this show a 7 out of 10. The performance was stellar, everything was on point; the visuals were insane as well. My disappointment is that they didn't play anything off of Undertow (my favorite album). One of the best highlights of the show is when the band sat down together and Justin lit that lighter, and 1/3 of the crowd followed suit, definitely a special moment. Maynard said "Pittsburg was louder" and the crowd went apeshit and then said "i meant odor wise . . . . . but they were still louder"
Even though i was disappointed with no Undertow they did play 46+2 my favorite song off of Aenima.

ThisBogIsThick
10-02-2006, 07:07 PM
First Tool concert for me and they have been my best-loved band since AEnema came out. Why or how it is possible that I waited 10+ years to see them is hideous and disgusting.

I got last-minute tickets to this show (Thank you Justin) and it was definitely the most powerful show I've been to.

I took a friend from work who wasn't sure she wanted to go, but I assured her she would not be bored.

We had beers beforehand at Clyde's and I was trying to explain to my friend about the raw onslaught of pure emotional power that I was expecting to come, but obviously it was impossible to describe – especially before my first show! She laughed but started to understand how much I admire this band. I was brimming with anticipation and really amped. Right before Stinkfest we got 2 beers each and it was on.

I love Tool and think I know them well. But nothing prepared me for this. As a band, they were able to draw out every ounce of energy I had. I was drenched with sweat afterwards and had no voice when it was over.

Dave McKenna of the Washington Post wrote in his Monday review (Style section):

"...fans of all ages came to the arena...having memorized every time change and pummeling riff. There are payoffs to such memorization....Even for those unfamiliar with the material, this was fantastic theater."

The point about memorization is very true. For the majority of Tool fans that I have met, the ones that are really into the band also claim them as their favorite. I saw many fans singing along to the lyrics, even the difficult ones, and they knew the breaks in the songs anticipated the powerful phrasing. Years of listening to their CDs gives many of us this "blueprint" to really appreciate the music live – but as I said, I was not prepared for this experience.

Often my friend (she was very into the show as it went along) would look to me for guidance but mostly I was screaming to every lyric I knew and moving to all those riffs I know so well to even notice she was there. A few times, I was able to warn her, by saying things like, “wait”…, “here”… or “NOW…” of a particular amazing passage about to come…like the slight pause halfway through Jambi, the parts preceding the “My Shadow” choruses in Forty-Six & 2, and of course right after “It’s a bull … shit … three … ring … cir … cus … side … show ... of ... FREAKS.”

That encore couldn’t have been better, and I definitely noticed the “wave” of raised hands right at “’Cause I'm praying for rain…” – but I think that was mostly elation for the slightest of breaks.

The videos behind the band, on the Jumbotron and the laser light show all were a great complement to the music. We had awesome seats (Thanks again Justin) in section 108 row H, right next to the railing. From my vantage, I had excellent sightlines of the crowd in the section adjacent to us, as well as just below as security guards whisked quite a few fans away for whatever rules they broke. I took a few shots on my cell phone, and the one that came out best was when the 4 green lasers criss-crossed and remained in place for several seconds.

I was really ecstatic to here Vicarious, as it’s my favorite on the new album, and I liked that they played Jambi first. The buildup to the end of Vicarious was phenomenal…and Maynard screaming “VICARIOUSLY I.........LIVE WHILE THE WHOLE WORLD DIES” was one of the best moments of the concert for me. At times I couldn’t hear the drums on Schism…and vocals on a few others….but overall the sound was amazing to a fan who knows how the songs are generally supposed to sound.

I could never complain after a concert like this, but here are a few songs that I would love to hear at a live Tool show in the future:

4 Degrees
Swamp Song
Intolerance
Eulogy
Jimmy

smakawhat
10-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Just wanted to add that hearing Forty 6 & Two pretty much made the night for me. After it was over I screamed "thank you I can die happy now" which got a lot of laughs in my section.

I am not going to nitpick (how can I so far this has been the best show I have ever been to) but if there was one song that wasn't played that I wish they could have it would have to be "Pushit"

facelessDrone
10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Great show. I was quite happy to see Maynard more enthusiastic and energetic (and healthy) than at the last show I saw in Philly on May 17th. Would have been nice to see a mixed-up setlist, but I wasn't expecting one. Right In Two was FUCKING awesome in May, so I was a little disappointed at its absence from this show; Wings made up for it. I also heard from some source (TDN? I can't remember) that the guys were practicing The Grudge along with Wings about a month ago or so, and that could possibly mean it would show up along the tour somewhere. It would have owned face if it could have been this show.

Some of the lighting effects were kinda cheesy (like the strings of lights that came up during Lateralus), but not bad overall. Anything I can bring up to criticize is really pretty insignificant, since it really was a fucking great show and I loved every minute of it. It's great to see how well they work with each other as musicians, the level of communication they have between them; if they get off time, they just exchange looks, do some little nod or gesture, Danny smacks a drum and they're back in rhythm. Great stuff.

I brought my fiance; she's not the Tool type, listening mostly to mainstream and hip-hop, but I wanted to share with her this music I love so much and get her to experience it. She really enjoyed the show and now has a greater appreciation for Tool. So that's a plus =D

edit: ^ Seconded on "Pushit," as long as it's the long tabla version. I'd spooge.

MyiiI
10-02-2006, 07:48 PM
All I can say is: Tool is the greatest band this planet has ever seen!

I actually went with my aunt, and I had some shitty tickets. We were up in the rafters, and it is so high up there that she freaked out and almost had a panic attack. So we went and talked to guest services and they allowed us to "upgrade" our tickets to section 121, then we were about 50 feet from the stage. She's never been to a show, and she was apologizing to me at first for freaking out. I was like NO NO NO, you just made the show a hundred times better for us hah. What amazing luck - my mind was blown. I was about to shit myself. What can I say, I'm not gonna try to analyze the show. It was an amazing experience. They were definitely ON. Best Tool show I have ever seen by far. Very cool people too. Sean, Chris and David, it was my pleasure to share that experience with you guys and everyone else!

My sentiments as well, brother! It was strange how we kept meeting up during/after the show. Even stranger was reading your post at 4:00 a.m. after returning from my brutal 14 hour coast-to-coast journey. It made me smile.

The whole D.C. experience was beyond words. Tool and 20,000 friends blowing the roof off the Verizon Center---one mile from the White House. A beacon of truth piercing the liar's lair! This was my fourth show on this tour. The D.C. fans were incredible (except for two meatheads that I will mention later). Thanks for making my solo journey worth the bullsh_t and $$$.

I was in Sec. 113 Row S on the aisle (dude in the black tank with a "bright, and blue, and shimmering" third eye on it). The view was great, although the sound (bass)was frankly lacking a bit compared to the other shows. A minor quibble---the band was incredibly tight and, I believe, more animated than some of the other shows.

I have some thoughts about the rockstar/hero idea posted earlier. I have followed Tool for over a decade, and have been touched deeply by not only their incredible precision and innovation, but by their courage and intelligence...

...No, there is something more, I believe. Tool is tapped into an energy that is beyond description, but that resides within all of us. I am a seeker, and am fascinated with mythic imagery and the shaman's journey. I once lived on a remote Alaskan island alone for a year (as a lodge caretaker), listening to Tool on a CD player powered by a generator, and have felt this connection. It is what keeps me coming to the shows again and again. In the presence of their music, I jump out of my skin, and lose myself (find my Self?).

BUT this does not mean that Tool (or Maynard, or Danny, or Adam ,or Justin) are deities to me. They are men, flesh and blood, just like you or I. I do believe, though, that they are like the trickster gods of Native American religions. Those gods were often comical and abrasive, in order to keep us from getting lost in their images. They were mere manifestations of that which is indescribable. The problem of Christianity is precisely the result of the fixation on the surface image of Christ and not the underlying mystery. This is why people will ridiculously pay a thousand dollars for a tortilla with the Virgin Mary burned upon it---as if a piece of flour and oil had any magical power! This is why I shredded a bible on the last day of Catholic prep school. Don't get lost in the image!

Tool and particulary Maynard challenge us all as devotees, to remain inspired by their music and words, and not to get absorbed in them as rock stars. They are both showmen and shamen.

BUT to be honest, I did hang aroung before and after the show to see if i could meet the band. I wanted to express gratitude for how they have enriched my life for all these years. Of course, I also felt like a groupie (which i was, for a moment).

So, there I was after last call at Ruby Tuesday's, meeting up with two other fans, waiting outside the loading bay for the band. A tour bus was outside, but I was pretty sure it wasn't theirs (which was later confirmed by a crew member walking by). Suddenly the doors open and a blond woman comes walkng out with a magnificent Great Dane (one of my favorite dogs).. I talked to her about the dog, kind of awkwardly, as she walked the dog past me. Later,as I sat against the Verizon center in front of the idling tour bus, these two twenty-something douchebags start wrestling on the pavement, for a good ten minutes. I finally said something to them, which prompted them to direct all of their testosterone at me. There I was, just wanting to see the band, and suddenly I'm being chest-bumped by two assholes. Then POW! Here comes D.C.s finest, rolling up on the scene. "Hey nothing went on,man. Everything's cool, man," says one of the meatheads to me. "Oh, really? That's not what you were saying a second ago!" Not sure what happened to them, but it was a sweet moment.

Never did get to see the band, but oh, well. The music is enough. I must remember: don't get lost in the image!

ironchefchris
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Terriffic show. I've seen over a hundred shows from Jethro Tull, Phish, NIN, Widespread Panic, P-Funk, A Perfect Circle, Ben Folds, Dave Matthews Band, Primus, etc.....but this was far and away the single greatest show i've ever seen.

I'm a musician (guitar) and have been an avid (maybe obsessive) TOOL fan since around '99. I've waited that long to witness these guys live (they came to VA twice, but i couldn't attend either show). The wait was easily worth it.

The lazers, lights, stage setup and everything was great from Sec. 121 row J. I love how clean everything looked. Maynard seemed in good spirits (however i'm sick of hearing Bush being picked at during every show i've been to in the last few years.....we get it, you don't agree with him.......but it's D.C so i guess i knew it was coming). As for his voice, i thought it was on point with most screams in tact. Stinkfist is an awesome opener by the way and the entire setlist was fine for me. Obviously the highlights were 10,000 Days (worth the price of admission alone), and Lateralus kills. The lighters were cool as well. No low points in the setlist for me. Old stuff is cool, but it's all TOOL, doesn't matter to me....they coulda played Maynard's Dick for the set ender and i woulda been fine with that. TOOL is TOOL, all of it is amazing

Danny Carey is probably the best musician i've ever seen in person...i'm no drummer, but it doesn't take any knowledge of the drums to realize that this guy is that special. Adam is great and has been a huge influence on my own sound. Maynard is what Maynard is, there's no one like him. Justin is damn near the top of my bass player list (a close 2nd behind Victor Wooten).............but this is so easily the most talented band on the planet today. It's nice to see that these guys do their own thing and are so successful at it. It makes me wonder how they'll be seen years from now in the history of music. No one else like em.

I'm hoping for some Va Beach and Richmond dates next time around.

Travel to see these guys if you have to.......don't miss this band

scosh24
10-03-2006, 03:28 AM
I saw that as well, I'm looking into it. From Adam's head I would imagine.

sinfall
10-03-2006, 04:03 AM
I've been playing guitar for the past 16 years. For 13 of those years I've been a die hard Tool fan. As cheesy as it may sound, seeing the songs that have inspired me performed live by its creators was a bit of an emotional experience.

wvalootgrl
10-03-2006, 05:20 AM

The show was awesome.. Was My first and My brothers first.. Totally exceeded My very high expectations.. (..and here I worried that My expectations wouldn't be met..) at the very least I was pleasantly surprised and feel that the trip from Baltimore to DC was well worth the Arm and Leg I paid out for it. T-shirts were way too high priced, but eh.. what do you expect? Things arent as cheap as they used to be and probably never will be again. The show was plenty for Me. I was there to be intellectually stimulated by a great show.. and Tool.. now I know why I love you.

I believe we were neighbors at the show. We were the two girls sitting in front of you, section 101, row D, seats 9-10. I may of said hi, but can't remember. The seats were great considering how close to the floor they were. I think they were a bargin considering how expensive the floor seats were. And beside we were elevated a bit to get a better view of band. I heard, through grapevine, that Baltimore may be visted by band on next leg of tour. I had to travel from WV, so I understand about the travel thing. This band is worth traveling many miles to see in my opinion. Still riding the high from Saturdays show. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show.

Kichinko
10-03-2006, 06:39 AM
There are some Tool songs that are worth waiting for the 5-10 minute build, but I don't think Wings for Marie is one of them. I mean it's great on the CD, but I think that time could be better used live. Alas, I know they are pushing the new CD so we got what we got.

I've seen Tool a few times and I would count this as the weakest show. The funny thing is how I can call it weakest Tool show I've ever seen, but it still be one of the best concerts ever.

Singing Aenima word for word with THOUSANDS of other people, was some of the most fun I think I've ever had. I remember when I was in Highschool (7 yrs ago) and I new Aenima word for word, people thought i was insane.

Doowadiddy
10-03-2006, 07:34 AM

He said to write in Tool for 2008. As in the presendential election.

Highlights for me...

46 + 2
Wings/10K days
Lateralus
Sitting down and listening to Aenema with eyes closed at times.

For all the comments on sound...the Verizon Center is notorious for crappy sound. Some songs worked better, particularly the ones with a little space in them. I would love to see Tool in a theater or in the seated section at Wolf Trap.

skinnyan
10-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Sound was better than Camden show, but the rain and energy made it really great and fun. Kind of sad to hear the same set list. I know the songs they play are so well done and its tough to mix it up, but it would be cool if they brought a bit more chaos and less predictability to the show. But they never will for some deep dark reason my mortal mind will never understand.

thegreatunknown
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I guess as a small response to some of the setlist complaints... its a masterpiece from start to finish, it shouldn't be viewed broken down into songs but as one amazing show. thats my view at least. unfortunately this is the only time I will see them on this tour so I don't have experience viewing the same thing over and over again. I'm not sure if I could ever get sick of anything these guys do though.

I have officially fully taken in the concert now and will submit my lowly opinions. I don't want to add already noted information but I might not be able to resist. In summary, the concert was simply beautiful. These guys are truly the most talented rock musicians out there. I don't know how these four guys will be remembered in the future but I only hope they have and will make just as big if not bigger of an impact to music as Led Zeppelin did. It depresses me to think how many people will never ever open their mind and take in anything developed by these four men because of the first impressions developed by the name tool and some of the crazy folk that follow them.

The greatest part of this concert wasn't just the amazing band but also the crowd. When I go to a rock concert I always hope the crowd acts in a particular way and I'm always disappointed because they don't. At this concert, for the first time, I was surrounded by a crowd that acted in the very manner I have always hoped for. To see people lost in their own world with tool... jamming, dancing, screaming, jumping... constantly throughout the whole concert was downright beautiful. To hear the crowd sing every word to aenima at the top of their lungs, spectacular. On our third attempt to be "louder" than Pittsburgh, I don't understand how that roof stayed on that place. I've never heard an arena get that loud. If Pittsburgh was still louder, I'm glad I wasn't there b/c I don't think I'd ever be able to hear again.

One more really important note before a few negatives... at the end, when the band hugged, gave fives, and then waved, clapped, and pointed to us, I was simply ecstatic. I have never known this band to grasp their fans in that way, it put the biggest smile on my face.

ok I hate to do this but there was a few things I was a little bit disappointed with.
In comparison to the lateralus tour, the visuals weren't as good in my opinion. The band is very creative and with all creativity some ideas can survive and strengthen as great ideas but I don't feel the floor projection will. It created an extremely slow beginning to me. And also, rosetta stoned is an amazing song but the voice synthesizer thing needs to be toned down a bit. I couldn't get into the first half of the song b/c everything was mumbled. The crowd even missed the "holy fuckin shit" part which I was expecting a huge screamfest on that line!

as expected though, I left in awe.

sorry I meant to include this above... before aenima when maynard said "good. fucking. night." I personally claim he wasn't saying goodbye but was telling us how he felt.

bbennett
10-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Did anyone notice halfway through Rosetta that Adam bent over and turned on his guitar? From the left side of the stage, there was no Adam for the first half of the song, or if there was, it was very faint. Still overall one of the best show's i've seen of theirs. i thought it was much better than camden sounded from the lawn, perhaps because I was closer. Continental should be even better, I hope. Maybe they'll come out and play No Quarter and Bottom....

sinfall
10-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Did anyone notice halfway through Rosetta that Adam bent over and turned on his guitar? From the left side of the stage, there was no Adam for the first half of the song, or if there was, it was very faint. Still overall one of the best show's i've seen of theirs. i thought it was much better than camden sounded from the lawn, perhaps because I was closer. Continental should be even better, I hope. Maybe they'll come out and play No Quarter and Bottom....

actually i think the volume of the effect he was trying to use for the solo was set too low.

ironchefchris
10-03-2006, 11:59 AM
These guys are truly the most talented rock musicians out there. I don't know how these four guys will be remembered in the future but I only hope they have and will make just as big if not bigger of an impact to music as Led Zeppelin did. It depresses me to think how many people will never ever open their mind and take in anything developed by these four men because of the first impressions developed by the name tool and some of the crazy folk that follow them.

i agree...to a point...i didn't wanna be the guy to throw the name led zeppelin out there first, so i'm glad you did. zeppelin is the end all and TOOL won't surpass them in terms of influence i don't think, but i'm really beginning to think that TOOL will go down in the history of rock as a band that stands right along side of them as equals...the late 60s and 70s had zeppelin....we (90, 2000s) get TOOL.

and i know i have to keep this in context of the show....so my question is this...right after the talkbox solo, did i hear a touch of a joe walsh riff or am i crazy? i know they've spoken about effects and whatnot. i asked a couple of people, but no one seemed to notice, but it was a riff i havn't heard from TOOL and the first thing i thought was joe walsh, not sure if that's because whenever i hear a talkbox i think that but who knows.

HappySlave
10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
i agree...to a point...i didn't wanna be the guy to throw the name led zeppelin out there first, so i'm glad you did. zeppelin is the end all and TOOL won't surpass them in terms of influence i don't think, but i'm really beginning to think that TOOL will go down in the history of rock as a band that stands right along side of them as equals...the late 60s and 70s had zeppelin....we (90, 2000s) get TOOL.

and i know i have to keep this in context of the show....so my question is this...right after the talkbox solo, did i hear a touch of a joe walsh riff or am i crazy? i know they've spoken about effects and whatnot. i asked a couple of people, but no one seemed to notice, but it was a riff i havn't heard from TOOL and the first thing i thought was joe walsh, not sure if that's because whenever i hear a talkbox i think that but who knows.

I might be suffering from delusions but I believe I read in the Guitar Player interview with Adam, or the Revolver interview, or somewhere else, that Joe Walsh was actually in the studio when Adam recorded the Jambi solo. He was invited there because of his extensive experience using the pedal.

Tarot
10-03-2006, 12:46 PM
My first Tool concert (only the third concert of any kind I've ever been to), and it was great. I guess I was in the minority to be rocked back on my heels early by Forty-Six & 2 and Jambi. The rest was fantastic, but that was the peak for me. The rosy glow of all those lighters while the guys took a breather tickled me no end, though. I was really glad to hear Rosetta Stoned live. The acoustics didn't seem the greatest from section 120, especially while Isis was down there. I felt like the drummer was jabbing his sticks into my eardrums every time he hit his snare. But they sounded okay, and I'd be willing to give their stuff a listen.

Hope like hell Tool will be in VA Beach or Richmond sometime, but if I can make it to another show, I will. I'll even take my twelve-year-old daughter next time, since the fans seemed pretty well-behaved. She was disappointed I didn't take her this time.

zbf
10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I saw that as well, I'm looking into it. From Adam's head I would imagine.

i'm sorry, is your reply in response to the infinity image on the screen? if not, disregard. i'm still trying to figure it out myself.

FirstDegree
10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
I believe we were neighbors at the show. We were the two girls sitting in front of you, section 101, row D, seats 9-10. I may of said hi, but can't remember. The seats were great considering how close to the floor they were. I think they were a bargin considering how expensive the floor seats were. And beside we were elevated a bit to get a better view of band. I heard, through grapevine, that Baltimore may be visted by band on next leg of tour. I had to travel from WV, so I understand about the travel thing. This band is worth traveling many miles to see in my opinion. Still riding the high from Saturdays show. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show.

Holy Shit!! Yes! You did say Hi! I was the dude in the Hat. The guy wearing the long sleeve shirt underneath His tool Shirt was My little brother. Do you rememer us?

I think you said hi after We were cracking jokes on Isis. You told Us that you heard they were pretty good? They were.. but they're no Tool, thats for sure! :P The Natural High is amazing, and very addictive. Sorry If we bugged you girls with our dancing and singing.. but I doubt you could hear Me because I could barely hear myself. If you did though, I apologize!

Also, did you notice the guys sitting to the left of us lit a joint during Lateralus.. I think it was? Besides the fact that they were smoking, I wanted to nudge them on the shoulder and say.. hey guys.. your missing precious seconds of one of the best concerts ever.. But I didnt want to miss any of it, Myself ^.^

Edit: I am glad that I did not get floor seats. Our seats were perfect. I'm a short guy, heh.. and even if I would have -stood- on My seat on the floor.. I wouldnt have seen anything. Basically.. The seat couldnt have been any better, in My opinion.

cwbaz
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Pictures and videos from DC can be found here.....

http://www.geocities.com/cwbaz/

And yes, more pics of Danny's drum head that I caught!!!

My best show Ever!!!http://stashbox.org/699/t8.jpg

digicypher4632
10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Another shot my friend sitting next to me got of the lighters....
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/173/toollightersmz8.jpg

I'm surprised nobody got the Monty Python reference by now... Not sure what point Maynard said it, but in his best fake-French accent came a "leave now, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

This probably sounds weird, but knowing somebody I've always admired musically quotes one of my favorite movies of all time is pretty damn cool.

elkman
10-04-2006, 12:34 AM
great show. sound was much, much better than Camden. Somehow was let in early, way early. Got to see Justin riding his bike around the floor aisles, made for a nice private picture. Bumped into some guy backstage who recognized me from the LA shows and gave me a pair of seats in the 7th row.€€€

The real wonderful part of that was I got to take a gal whose been a great Tool fan for years and was actually handing out free upgrades to folks to have floor seats. Just really good karma going around everywhere.

I really hope they change up the set in NJ or NY...

ryry85
10-04-2006, 01:01 AM
sorry I meant to include this above... before aenima when maynard said "good. fucking. night." I personally claim he wasn't saying goodbye but was telling us how he felt.

I completely agree......when he said that, all i could think to myslef was " fuck yes it was." It really did sound sincere........unlike wilkes-barre where he sound like "fuck you goodnight go home get me outta here."

AgentZero
10-04-2006, 05:16 AM
My boyfriend has been a Tool fan since the dark ages and just recently has opened my eyes to the fact that they are more than just a hard rock band.
We are from Tillsonburg Ontario and we missed our chance to see Tool when they came to Canada. So, we bought tickets and drove all the way to Washington!
It was an amazing concert. Both of us were mezmerized by the level of talent that goes into their music and the mastery of thier instruments.

Every song they played was amazing!

I am officialy a Tool fan for life.

MyiiI
10-04-2006, 06:06 AM
I just figured out that the woman I talked to after the show with the Great Dane was Camella, Adam's wife. She was very pleasant and and seemed interested that I had a big black lab. It was a bit odd though, given the context (me, a fan; she, a rock star's wife). Honestly, I just wanted to pet that beautiful pooch! I didn't even know who you were!

Tarot
10-04-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm surprised nobody got the Monty Python reference by now... Not sure what point Maynard said it, but in his best fake-French accent came a "leave now, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

This probably sounds weird, but knowing somebody I've always admired musically quotes one of my favorite movies of all time is pretty damn cool.

I was so deaf by that point, my roommate (the one whose fault it is I like Tool/APC/Pusicifer) had to poke me in the shoulder and tell me what Maynard had said. It was right before they all took a breather, wasn't it? If you hit http://myspace.com/censorshipisacancer (Maynard's Puscifer page) and check his blog, he noted he was watching Holy Grail on one of the recent entries. I got a good giggle out of that...everyone in my house loves it, too. Including the 12-year-old.

sinfall
10-04-2006, 06:32 AM
I just figured out that the woman I talked to after the show with the Great Dane was Camella, Adam's wife. She was very pleasant and and seemed interested that I had a big black lab. It was a bit odd though, given the context (me, a fan; she, a rock star's wife). Honestly, I just wanted to pet that beautiful pooch! I didn't even know who you were!

I was wondering if you knew it was her, but figured you had known and was being modest.

www.spiraleyes.com

facelessDrone
10-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Heh, I forgot about the Monty Python reference. Pretty sure it was right after their little sit-down break. I chuckled.

alienoar
10-04-2006, 08:32 AM
I saw the DC show (flew up from FL just to see TOOL and ISIS play together), and I have to say that although the band played very well, I was a little disappointed in the direction the band have taken their live shows. I first saw Tool back in '96 on Aenima tour, then Ozzfest 98, then 4 times on the Lateralus tour, and then in DC last weekend. I have to say that I do not like the seated floor, although I am not a big fan of moshing per se, I like the freedom to move around, dance, whatever, and not be confined to one small assigned area. However, I can handle assigned seating. What bothers me is the lack of inclusion of older material in their sets, and the fact that they rarely change the setlist. With such a great back catalog, you would think that an occasional Intolerance, Jerk Off, Hush, 4 Degrees, etc. would slip its way into the set just to mix things up a bit. I don't really buy the "It takes a million years to program the videos" explanation. I think the band just does not enjoy playing in a live setting as much as they used to -- face it, they are all pushing 40. the same things do not excite them, and I feel some of the passion has gone out of things. I like 10,00 days, and it was great to hear some of those songs played live, but the band seems to really not want to do any kind of variety. I could understand if they did not want to play pre-Justin material, but that does not explain why they have only played Stinkfist and Aenema off of the Aenima album for every single show out of the last 4 times I have seen them since 2001. Why no third Eye or Eulogy? i love those songs.

Plus I thought the stage set up wwas more dazzling for the Lateralus tour. Anyway, these are just some minor disappointments I have been feeling about the band's live shows.

On the other hand, Jambi and 10,000 Days sound fantastic live. I just wish the guys would show a little more interest in the non-singles from previous albums and show a little variety/diversity already!!

wvalootgrl
10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Holy Shit!! Yes! You did say Hi! I was the dude in the Hat. The guy wearing the long sleeve shirt underneath His tool Shirt was My little brother. Do you rememer us?

I think you said hi after We were cracking jokes on Isis. You told Us that you heard they were pretty good? They were.. but they're no Tool, thats for sure! :P The Natural High is amazing, and very addictive. Sorry If we bugged you girls with our dancing and singing.. but I doubt you could hear Me because I could barely hear myself. If you did though, I apologize!

Also, did you notice the guys sitting to the left of us lit a joint during Lateralus.. I think it was? Besides the fact that they were smoking, I wanted to nudge them on the shoulder and say.. hey guys.. your missing precious seconds of one of the best concerts ever.. But I didnt want to miss any of it, Myself ^.^

Edit: I am glad that I did not get floor seats. Our seats were perfect. I'm a short guy, heh.. and even if I would have -stood- on My seat on the floor.. I wouldnt have seen anything. Basically.. The seat couldnt have been any better, in My opinion.

Yes,

I do remember you now! :D Every fan in the entire Verizon Ctr. was dancing, singing, screaming, and having a mind blowing time at the show, myself included.
You were just having a great time and expressing your love of the band/music. Nothing wrong with that. Thats what going to see a live Tool show should be like. I was so blown away on the crowd reaction, and I even think it rubbed off a bit on Maynard in a positive way. He certainly interacted more with the DC crowd, then has been mentioned regarding previous show reviews on the tour.
I apologize for having to get out of my seat once or twice by climbing over the back. I was sort of locked into the middle of the row, and tried to find the easiest escape route, so I'm sorry if I invade your space in any way. Yes, I did notice (smell) some indulging going around too. It was a bit distracting but expected. I am very happy that I had seats in stands, and not on floor. You are right about having good view of band from our vantage point.
This was the best concert experience I have ever had, and cannot wait for Tool's return. Who knows, maybe we will be neighbors again at another Tool show. Stranger shit has happened, like crossing each others path here on TDN!

peace ; )

matt awesome
10-04-2006, 12:14 PM
actually i think the volume of the effect he was trying to use for the solo was set too low.

I have a little bit of video of that part and that is exactly what happened. You can barely hear the guitar after he hits that pedal and then once he bends over and messes with the pedal you can hear the guitar at the right volume.

Doowadiddy
10-04-2006, 01:14 PM
My first Tool concert (only the third concert of any kind I've ever been to), and it was great. I guess I was in the minority to be rocked back on my heels early by Forty-Six & 2 and Jambi. The rest was fantastic, but that was the peak for me. The rosy glow of all those lighters while the guys took a breather tickled me no end, though. I was really glad to hear Rosetta Stoned live. The acoustics didn't seem the greatest from section 120, especially while Isis was down there. I felt like the drummer was jabbing his sticks into my eardrums every time he hit his snare. But they sounded okay, and I'd be willing to give their stuff a listen.

Hope like hell Tool will be in VA Beach or Richmond sometime, but if I can make it to another show, I will. I'll even take my twelve-year-old daughter next time, since the fans seemed pretty well-behaved. She was disappointed I didn't take her this time.

The drummer for Isis played really really hard. He banged the hell out of the skins.

Doowadiddy
10-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Pictures and videos from DC can be found here.....

http://www.geocities.com/cwbaz/

And yes, more pics of Danny's drum head that I caught!!!

My best show Ever!!!http://stashbox.org/699/t8.jpg

Awesome, thanks...some of those videos were from my angle in 110. You can guarantee people will always talk during Wings/10K...it's just one of those songs. It wasn't too bad where I was, but there was a lady yapping away behind me. At the end of you last vid, you can hear some guy say, "Shut Up!"

wacbzz
10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Being my 9th Tool show, I think I can say that this was a great show no doubt. The lights, the lighters, the set list, the stage, the crowd...all very awesome. But really, come on. Have you people never been to any other shows by any other bands? "The best show ever" is pretty lame considering the bands that are out there. You people need to get out more...seriously.

And Isis fcukin rocked. Though I still have my original Tool shirt from Lalapalooza 93, I couldn't pass up the gold Isis "bug" shirt. Plus, I will be the only one around here wearing it, unlike all the lameass folks with the "cool Tool concert tshirt."

Peace.

jwb
10-04-2006, 03:57 PM
And Isis fcukin rocked. I couldn't pass up the gold Isis "bug" shirt. Plus, I will be the only one around here wearing it, unlike all the lameass folks with the "cool Tool concert tshirt."

Peace.

That's their Mosquito Control shirt.

durkabajung
10-04-2006, 04:05 PM
But really, come on. Have you people never been to any other shows by any other bands? "The best show ever" is pretty lame considering the bands that are out there. You people need to get out more...seriously.
Peace.

I've seen countless bands live and I still consider this show to be the best I've been to. It was honestly a really great show and other people are going to differ on opinion. Not a big deal

wacbzz
10-04-2006, 05:33 PM
I've seen countless bands live and I still consider this show to be the best I've been to. It was honestly a really great show and other people are going to differ on opinion. Not a big deal

Yeah, that's cool. I don't mean to start anything stupid but when someone says that it was the best show they have ever been to, I wonder what shows that person has really seen.

I mean, this concert in no way compares to the Pink Floyd show at Carter Finley Stadium in NC in 1994. It also couldn't hold the jockstrap of the U2 Joshua Tree show at the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit MI in 1987 (imagine 80,000+ people with lighters singing "40" as U2 walked off stage. Damn, I have goosebumps even now...).

It possibly may, however, be the best show if all one has to compare it to is something by Dave Matthews or 311 or Marilyn Manson or (god forbid) the Rolling Stones.

MyiiI
10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
I was wondering if you knew it was her, but figured you had known and was being modest.

www.spiraleyes.com

I had an idea that it was her, but even if I had known for sure, it wouldn't have changed anything. I was just genuinely enjoying her dog, and talking about dogs for a bit (speaking of, my pooch Nacho is slobbering on my laptop!)

I felt weird about even posting it in the first place. Wasn't trying to brag, just thought I'd share the moment. My excitement got the best of me. I apologize.

deftone
10-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I saw the DC show (flew up from FL just to see TOOL and ISIS play together), and I have to say that although the band played very well, I was a little disappointed in the direction the band have taken their live shows. I first saw Tool back in '96 on Aenima tour, then Ozzfest 98, then 4 times on the Lateralus tour, and then in DC last weekend. I have to say that I do not like the seated floor, although I am not a big fan of moshing per se, I like the freedom to move around, dance, whatever, and not be confined to one small assigned area. However, I can handle assigned seating. What bothers me is the lack of inclusion of older material in their sets, and the fact that they rarely change the setlist. With such a great back catalog, you would think that an occasional Intolerance, Jerk Off, Hush, 4 Degrees, etc. would slip its way into the set just to mix things up a bit. I don't really buy the "It takes a million years to program the videos" explanation. I think the band just does not enjoy playing in a live setting as much as they used to -- face it, they are all pushing 40. the same things do not excite them, and I feel some of the passion has gone out of things. I like 10,00 days, and it was great to hear some of those songs played live, but the band seems to really not want to do any kind of variety. I could understand if they did not want to play pre-Justin material, but that does not explain why they have only played Stinkfist and Aenema off of the Aenima album for every single show out of the last 4 times I have seen them since 2001. Why no third Eye or Eulogy? i love those songs.

Plus I thought the stage set up wwas more dazzling for the Lateralus tour. Anyway, these are just some minor disappointments I have been feeling about the band's live shows.

On the other hand, Jambi and 10,000 Days sound fantastic live. I just wish the guys would show a little more interest in the non-singles from previous albums and show a little variety/diversity already!!

I agree with you 100%. IMHO TOOL is still by far the best band to go and see thoughin the 6 times i have seen them, spanning 10 years, this show was a bit of a dissappointment. I saw 3 shows on the Lateralus tour and they got better and better and figured that this would blow my mind. Jambi fucking rocked, as did Vicarious and The Pot but for some reason i felt slightly hollow. The trip (drove from Charlotte) and show were still worth ever penny and the Hampton Inn was surprisingly nice.

sinfall
10-05-2006, 03:59 AM
I have a little bit of video of that part and that is exactly what happened. You can barely hear the guitar after he hits that pedal and then once he bends over and messes with the pedal you can hear the guitar at the right volume.

Yea, I only know because I seem to do that often when I'm playing with effects. Damn cats always bump my pedals and move the knobs, so I had to set the knobs then cover them with packing tape so they don't move. LOL

Brogan
10-05-2006, 05:26 AM
http://metrodistortion.blogspot.com/2006/10/tool-verizon-center-093006-hope-this.html

Tons of pictures here, including the actual time that the pictures were taken, the lighter moment with Justin (you can actually see four silhouettes on stage) and some solid shots from the end of the show. We were sitting in Section 104, Row D. My buddy got kicked out for taking pictures, meanwhile the guys to our left, right and behind us were getting high as kites, smoking the whole show. Kind of funny when you think about it...you get kicked out for taking pictures without a flash, but you can smoke all the dope you want. No worries, another great performance from a great band. Here's a taste: http://stashbox.org/826/10.29.09http://stashbox.org/827/10.47.32

CaduceusVino
10-05-2006, 09:11 AM
This was the third time that I have seen Tool, and of course... THEY OWNED. I really enjoyed the set they played even though my seats were a little iffy up in section 419. My sis won the tickets from DC101 before tickets even went on sale. So people be warned. Radio shows don't necessarily hook you up. And to the guy that won front row tickets from DC101...You lucky, lucky bastard! Next time I will be there. Anyway, Tool opened the show with some of my all time favorite songs. This show was a little different than their other shows in that this really the first time that I've seen Maynard really out there. He's normally been back in the shadows singing wearing his underwear. It was kind of nice to see him this time but he still didn't stand front and center. Bravo to you for that, Maynard. Well, Bravo to you for a whole hell of a lot more than that, but I am so damn tired of the lead singer trying to upstage his band. Tool are obviously all equals in the band or at least that's what it says to me. But it is curious about how MJK is more visable. Why is that I wonder.

I thought that Verizon arena blew. What the fuck is up with the Sphincter Police in that place???!! My sister and I got busted twice for trying to hit a jay there. It's a rock concert dammit. That's what goes on. I've never been to an venue that was so uptight and you hear me on this one Soulisshaking!! Step the fuck off people.

The lasers were so totally sweet, Junior. You're the man.

Does anybody know what was up with the people in the Lab coats? I'm assuming that Junior was back behind Danny. What exactly was he doing back there? I couldn't see from where I was sitting.

CaduceusVino
10-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I

What better thing to advertise than the art that has changed your life? Seems to me, if the music, film, painting, poetry has a fundamental effect on your human experience, you might want to share that with others (and indirectly give them the same gift).

I kinda get your point but I have to agree. It's pretty retarded to wear the band's shirt to the concert. CLEARLY if you're there...... you're a fan. You don't need to wear the same shirt that everybody else is to prove anything. I was rocking in out in section 419 in something more original :)

Mayfair
10-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I kinda get your point but I have to agree. It's pretty retarded to wear the band's shirt to the concert. CLEARLY if you're there...... you're a fan. You don't need to wear the same shirt that everybody else is to prove anything. I was rocking in out in section 419 in something more original :)

I was in 103 doing and wearing the same. ;-)

Superfuzz
10-05-2006, 11:13 AM
yea i got a major lol out of the HORDES of people wearing tool shirts. I mean cmon....you like the band, we get it...its kinda lame to wear the shirt to their concert...but thats just me...

dammit, i just realized something else. I skipped ISIS 's set to go eat dinner. came in at the last song. Just downlaoded some of their stuff, and dammit I LIKE IT....crap

jalper
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Does anybody know what was up with the people in the Lab coats? I'm assuming that Junior was back behind Danny. What exactly was he doing back there? I couldn't see from where I was sitting.

Junior's in the back of the arena working the lighting board, where the sound, laser, video guys are also all working. The guys in the white lab coats are the roadies... Danny's drum tech, Adam and Justin's guitar techs, etc. I've heard it theorized that the white lab coats are to better reflect the lighting when they have to go up on stage to help the guys out, but really I have no idea... Sure does look neat, though.

'][' [[]] [[]] ][_
10-07-2006, 05:20 AM

I only saw the guys in lab coats once, and that was right before Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. My immediate thoughts were that they were wearing them because they were relevant to those two songs. (ie, hospital dialogue in "Keys", and the whole Area 51 nature of Rosetta Stoned)