PDA

View Full Version : Almost An Awesome Song

J Stebbins
07-26-2006, 05:09 AM
I've always liked this song, probably one of my top 10. But the spoken word part seriously ruins the whole song. I have nothing against Henry Rollins, but where the hell did he even come from. Way to ruin the song jackass.

TJP
08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
I've always liked this song, probably one of my top 10. But the spoken word part seriously ruins the whole song. I have nothing against Henry Rollins, but where the hell did he even come from. Way to ruin the song jackass.Ruined???

SpiraMirabilis
08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
I've often wondered that, but I never realy like the song that much, so its never bothered me.

Track 01
08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I wouldnt put it in my top 10 simply because of the talking part....it kinda kills the mood of the song

(self(other
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I feel all in all, this song is good music and i love it

Maynard's pickup right after the talking makes up for the talking

dead... in... SIIIIIIIIIDE wow the voice of god

The Backwards Man
08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I know exactley what you mean when you say ruined the song. It's not that Henry Rollins is bad or anything, but that dialogue part totally takes the intensity away from the song.

justfar1086
08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
maynard should have kept with his own original spoken word on that song, theres a video of it on youtube

Strangleholder
08-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a bootleg, Opium Den, that has Zack de la Rocha speaking that part in Bottom. Except he had his own lyrics that he must've written for that part. That 'boot' has been circulating around for years, it also has early Opiate-era demos which are pretty cool. There's around 5 live songs on it.

TJP
08-10-2006, 09:01 AM
I'll say it once more RUINED??????

Strangleholder
08-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I think the song is fine just the way it is, it's still aggressive as hell and kicks ass. It's another reminder of how raw and pissed off Tool once was.

TheJuiceOfSatan
08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I happen to love the spoken word part. Its almost like hes talking to himself before going into battle. Hes psyching himself up. And i do believe tool went on tour with the rollins band and they became buds back in this time period.

rogerdoger
08-16-2006, 12:59 AM
I love the way Maynard comes back in at the end of it.

RaG3aH0liC
08-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I have a bootleg, Opium Den, that has Zack de la Rocha speaking that part in Bottom. Except he had his own lyrics that he must've written for that part. That 'boot' has been circulating around for years, it also has early Opiate-era demos which are pretty cool. There's around 5 live songs on it.
Don't get me wrong, I am quite biased, but the Zach De La Rocha version rules. He and Maynard's vocal styles are complete opposites and complement eachother very well. Zach's parts are very intense and brief whereas Maynard's are slow-building and deep. My one complaint (which many would make about rage in general) is that Zach can be hard to understand. Zach version owns! I do like the Rollins version, too.

philipg
09-03-2006, 09:27 AM
yeah the spoken part is soooo cheesey
sometimes tool lyrics almost border on cheesey, but this spoken part is really just hokey.
it sounds like its from dragonball z or something stupid like that
bottom would be the best song on the album if they didnt have to do that part.
henry rollins is made of steak.

Alex in Chains
09-03-2006, 09:57 AM
The spoken word was really cool in 1993. It doesn't really stand the test of time (i.e. Tool fans growing up). However, I still think it's cool for one reason: Henry Goddamn Rollins.

Lateralias
09-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I love the way Maynard comes back in at the end of it.

Plus I love the way Danny plays along with the guitar/bass, it's got a cool groove to it.

(self(other
09-07-2006, 11:18 AM

Plus I love the way Danny plays along with the guitar/bass, it's got a cool groove to it.

yea they all shine here imo

Useful)(Idiot
09-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I've always liked this song, probably one of my top 10. But the spoken word part seriously ruins the whole song. I have nothing against Henry Rollins, but where the hell did he even come from. Way to ruin the song jackass.

i think you might feel differently had maynard done the spoken word part IMO.

scummonk
09-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Lol, this made me laugh. I know what you mean, he does make it sound abit corny but I still love this song loads.

Especially, maynard coming in with my fear is naked!!@I've always liked this song, probably one of my top 10. But the spoken word part seriously ruins the whole song. I have nothing against Henry Rollins, but where the hell did he even come from. Way to ruin the song jackass.

metamorph
10-09-2006, 11:45 AM
yeah the spoken part is soooo cheesey
sometimes tool lyrics almost border on cheesey, but this spoken part is really just hokey.
it sounds like its from dragonball z or something stupid like that
bottom would be the best song on the album if they didnt have to do that part.
henry rollins is made of steak.

im dissapointed in these posts. this song is fearsome. undertow in general blends melody and darkness like few others. the spoken word fits perfectly and tool would not have included it in the song if they didnt feel the same

J Stebbins
10-13-2006, 07:48 AM
i think you might feel differently had maynard done the spoken word part IMO.

Your right, I would. Because he would have made it more emotional, not just some hardcore guy featured in the song.

jpmny333
10-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I hope that everyone knows that Henry Rollins fronted Black Flag back in the day. While I wouldn't argue that they were the best or most talented band, they started a reveloution in a way. He also has some very good spoken word pieces.

I don't really like the part either, but Henry Rollins was the perfect person for it. Anyone else would have just made it worse.

philipg
10-14-2006, 09:38 PM
im dissapointed in these posts. this song is fearsome. undertow in general blends melody and darkness like few others. the spoken word fits perfectly and tool would not have included it in the song if they didnt feel the same

oh ok i guess you're right then

Hym
10-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Without the slow spoken word section, Maynard's return to vocals would have far less intensity.

Maryjane82
10-20-2006, 07:50 AM
danny is superb here... mr arrogance himself rollins is always cool.. naked and fearless and ready to go into battle. bottom and crawl away have balls.

CrownOfNegativity
10-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I think this song is one of the best off of Undertow.

The talking part is awesome imo. I would like to hear Maynard's original one however, maybe I'll look it up.

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
This song live is pretty good.

polly wants a cracker
02-09-2007, 03:54 AM
The spoken word thing is great. Danny's drumming sounds awesome on that part too.

tomisatool
02-11-2007, 12:53 PM
The spoken part is the breakdown that makes Tool, Tool. It's an excellent addition and it's not like it's ever been done twice in any Tool work. Plus, the pickup after is incredible.

mr. nikki jensen
02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
i dont think the spoken part of bottom makes it worse

its a good song, but far from my top

PShepherd11
02-17-2007, 10:55 AM
This song is cool; the spoken part is cool, although I would've liked it more if it were Maynard. I guess it sort of felt like they let an outsider in a Tool song and it just didn't seem right.

TurdEye13
03-18-2007, 11:21 AM

it enhances it for me....

Bogart
03-21-2007, 07:51 AM
I totally agree with your statement J Stebbins. The spoken word is a pretty lame addition.

justfar1086
03-21-2007, 07:53 AM
I like the spoken word. You never hear that in music unless you go to some artsy hipster coffee shop. And i think its a good piece of poetry too.

There is no spoon
03-21-2007, 08:36 AM
No speaking = more good

Henry Rolllins is an idiot