Forty Six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

Hendrix
09-09-2006, 10:51 PM
My 7th show. Here's the setlist from my memory, I'll feel like a jackass if I am wrong.

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days

Again, if I am wrong--forgive me.. I am pretty confident though.

Where to begin?

Maynard got a bottle thrown at his head during The Pot. It was a big enough hit that he kick his mic stand off his platform, then he walked off stage. The first thing I thought was, "Well there goes Wings for Marie/10,000 Days." He came back out during the rest of the song and put his ATF jacket and cowboy hat on. Then he just stood there making gestures with his hand. He continued to do this all throughout 46 & 2. The rest of the band played the songs perfectly. He did sing the last chourus on 26 & 2. He finally made an anouncement that the water bottle throwing was pretty bad and people should find a better way to express their lives.

When Lateralus was played is when all the artwork showed up. It was amazing. I little too gaudy from what I am used to them doing, but it was done tastefully. Whoever was operating the lasers was a little off during Lateralus. Seemed like they were still learning how to use them.

He did not sing the "La la la lies" line in Vicarious. Either he's tired of doing it or too much strain on his sick voice.

Before they played Ænima, Maynard said how every time they play in Phoenix they usually play Los Anegeles the night before. Every time they go to Los Angeles he says, he gets sick. I don't know if people can verify him singing differently in the past or not, but tonight I could definately tell he was sick--or something.

The impression was that Ænima was their last song for the night. It bummed me out because I was hoping to hear Wings for Marie/10,000 Days like the the lucky bastards in L.A. During Ænima he sang the "Fuck at your everything, fuck your tattoos..." line three times. It's a possibility I was hearing shit but I am fairly confident it was three. This gave me a cue that there might be more after this song.

They had a small encore, most people around me started to leave but I saw no roadies on stage. So I decided to stay, despite my eagerness to leave to beat traffic. I was disappointed about them not playing "the big one" and I would have been more irritated by the shitty traffic (if the traffic going to the concert was anything to go off of).

Sure enough, they put a stool out for Justin and I knew this was it. Maynard said they would play one more if everyone was good. Side note: during the encore with the band sitting on Maynard's platform--Justin lit his lighter (I didn't know he smoked) and the rest of the pavillion complied. I don't know if he has been doing this alot lately but the effect was nice, especially as to what was to come.

The best rock n' roll performance, nay best performance, I have ever experienced.

They played Wings for Marie/10,000 Days flawlessly. I was amazed as to how they pulled it off. I imagine Justin sitting down is essential.

Over all, again--the show was perfect. There were a few times Adam seemed off, but I love being able to hear his mess ups. As weird as that sounds, it reminds me I am listening to them live and raw--which is a setting that Tool shines best in.

For those of you who went: I hope you all made it home safely and remember to leave your over-bearing testosterone levels at home the next time you go to a show, especially a Tool show.

no_name
09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Fuck whoever threw that bottle at Maynard! Great show. I recorded this show so hopefully that works out. tight performance. Instramental perfofrmance of 46 & 2 for the most part. Good shit!!!!!!!!!!!

taxicabgod
09-09-2006, 11:36 PM
That was a little nuts with the bottle episode. It seemed a bit excessive but then again, I'm not the one who got hit. He also said L.A. got him sick or maybe that he just fkn hates L.A. or something like that. And that he was gonna take some Sudafed and jerk off to Comedy Central.

begmetostay
09-10-2006, 12:02 AM
yeah so I'm pumped as hell. I took my dad to the show. I don't know if anyone saw us I was the one wearing a pink floyd shirt that said "wish you were here" on the back.

Anyway Isis started a bit early and ended a bit late, I think they played 4 songs instead of 3. Amazing! just Amazing...............ly bad. I guess if your into your singer screaming his guts out the entire time for no reason then fine. Oddly he does have a pretty good voice when he actually trys to sing instead of scream. The head banging thing is pretty damn played in my opinion, you can be into your song without thrashing...

Anyway they ended and I got up and went into the main selling area. I was talking to my dad when some guy came up and started quizing me on floyd and was 100% certain that Pink floyd was still together..... keep dreaming.

We made our way back to our seats and the place started really filling up, even during Isis almost no one was there. Tool took the stage, no words, just launched stinkfist (maynards leg lifted and everything). People were throwing crap on the stage and appearantly some idiot felt it was a good idea to peg a water bottle at maynard, great job dick, we lost the last of The Pot and 46&2. I saw the net of lights raising in the back ground and I knew they had Lateralus comin. Breath taking song. After that they had a long interlude at which point I saw maynard get behind the keyboard and I thought wings was surely to come based on the mood of the sounds. Nope, Vicarious, again, fun but I was kinda worried. Then maynard started talking about how they always play LA before phoenix and that LA gets them sick. He finished by saying "I have a solution to that!" I knew it was Aenima time. He also said good night, dead serious to us (after all i thought they made it short because they were sick). To which i started pleading as loud as I could for wings. When they started laying down on the stage I knew.... this show isn't over. He said that he would play one more and I know that had to be Wings 1 and 2. People in my section started leaving which kinda broke the mood for me but it was awesome. Then they hugged for a while and exit tool.

I have a few complaints. First off maynard was muddy as hell. Even in the last part of wings where there is hardly any music being played you could barely make it out. The guitar in my opinion was way dominate. I don't know if they dropped his volume because he way sick or where the sound guy was sleeping but I was pretty close to the middle and it shouldn't have been that bad.

I think it was 2 girls behind me. I have never heard screams like that. I have heard loud screams (I was one of them), I have heard odd screams, short screams, long screams, funny screams. But never have I encountered people screaming to see who could make my ears bleed first. They didn't do it during the songs mostly but every time the end came I got this ear piercing, there is a knife sticking out of my back, I'm about to shatter this crystal, scream. Though I could deal with it by covering my ears I'll ask you ladies to do the people in front of you a favor, when you scream just drop the pitch a little bit. Make it as loud as you want, no problem, just drop the pitch.

Danny was amazing tonight. My dad just kept on saying "my ear is hearing one thing and I'm watching another, how is this guy doing this?" Danny for me was the best part, bar none.

The set list was short no Right in Two/ Opiate.

I went to the gammage show and this show. Gammage sound quality was leagues better then this one BUT danny sounded and looked much more aggressive tonight then Gammage. I would say overall that gammage was my fav show BUT this one had it's highlights to.

Oh yeah and don't let anyone put the stage down. I was skeptical but that was erased easy. Would it be nice to have a huge screen behind them? sure, but there were screens to the sides that were pretty big and I found myself not paying attention to them all that much. The stage was quite perfect.

No mention of them coming back again.... if you do come by again Tool, catch us first. LA seems to give you problems. ;) thanks Tool

atlastitsok
09-10-2006, 12:03 AM
few moments that stood out in the show for me. following aenima, they started to leave the stage, and danny came out and sat down, the rest of the band followed and sat at the stage looking over all the lit lighters and the standing ovation. i turnred around (sitting up front), and the amount of lighters being held up was indeed quite a site.

when he sang "now its time to let you go" it sent chills down my spine. amazing finish for the show.

ACE IT UP
09-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Absolutely beautiful, Tool puts on an amazing show. I hope whoever threw that water bottle got the shit kicked out of him because he definitely desrved it... Besides Maynard being sick the show was pure awesome.

Highlights:

Stinkfists alternative version - Always great to hear them go into that alternative transition with the crowd still chanting along with the originals lines, danny's electric drum segment still sends chills down my spine.

46&2 - although Maynard was giving due punishment to the audience for harassing him with the water bottle the song was great to hear, made everything seem so naked without maynard's soaring vocals. Intense drum fill towards the end, amazing to witness and hear live.

Schism's double time through the middle section - Made the song seem new again. Incredible musicianship from all of them during that segment, danny's fills were incredible.

Opening riff into lateralus - Lights illuminating the sky, lasers hitting every direction, and mind opening visuals with millions of blinding colors... spiral out motherfuckers...

10,000 Days, Wings for Marie - Simply breathtaking... It was the end of the night and nobody thought they'de do it. Spot on, everything, the effects, Maynard's voice, and all instrumental sections, I could't have asked for anything more. In the words of MJK before they began their epic..."This one's for Christ..."'

Long Live Tool \m/ -_-

engineer
09-10-2006, 12:28 AM
FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!
GOTTA SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT!!!
HOLY SHIT!?!?!?!?!?!

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE GREATEST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN..........
even though I know the only ones reading are you dumb shits...............
I JUST HAD TO GET THAT OFF MY CHEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

begmetostay
09-10-2006, 12:30 AM
he also said something about dedicating the song to the guy who's birthday he mentioned earlier. I forget the name. Earlier he mentioned it and asked us to say something to him but some girl was trying to get past me so I missed it.

My_Shadow
09-10-2006, 12:56 AM
I hope that jackass who threw the bottle gets testicular cancer.

Stinkfist is such a great opening song... It fucking rocks! Rosetta Stoned was badass as well. And you gotta love Lateralus my god that song is amazing live.

In my opinion, Coachella was alot more intense, and the screens were more vivid than tonight.

Still, it was an amazing show and I wish I was still there.

Desert Rat
09-10-2006, 01:49 AM
This is my 2nd Tool show, my first one was in 2001. I'll start this by getting the customary 'fuck you's out of the way. Whover the prick bastard was who hit Maynard with ther bottle, go to hell, fuck off and die! Bodysurfing during Wings for Marie, grow the fuck up, already! Now that that is out of the way...

Hopefully I get the sequence of events correct. Maynard was not feeling well tonight. I'm fortunate to read the reviews here from the LA shows, because that way I knew. Tool didn't start until about 9:20. It was funny during Stinkfist when the fans were singing the final stanza when the band made the detour into another bridge. After Stinkfist, Maynard said, "today's my friend Eddie's birthday, let's give him a "hey Eddie, you're a fucking idiot!". The crowd cooperated, lol.

The Pot, well, he sang the "who are you to wave your finger", then nothing, waiting for the crowd to finish it, perhaps, but then he continued with the rest of the song. I don't recall at which point in the beginning of the song it was, but some fuckhead in the pit threw a water bottle. I saw it hit Maynard square in the melon. He turned, DISGUSTEDLY slammed the microphone down, kicked the stand away and trudged off the stage for the rest of The Pot. Adam looked behind after about a minute and had a "where the hell is Maynard?" look on his face. MJK came back out toward the end of the song, put his ATF jacket and cowboy hat back on and just hung out in his usual spot on stage and didn't sing until the last verse of 46&2. I thought that he may just say, fuck this, I feel like total shit and these retards are throwing bottles at me? It was a warm, humid night, the only reason you'd put a coat on is if your feeling chills, so I was convinced he was sick more than he was cashing it in, but it was a nice scare. The band kept playing, like the pros that they are. I was guessing the crowd may start singing the vocals in the meantime, but I think everyone was too drunk, stoned or just shocked. After 46&2, MJK said, "a water bottle thrown at my head, nice...you people need to find a better fucking way to express your feelings...is it safe for me to continue?". He did.

I remember when Tricky opened for Tool here in 2001, someone pegged him with something and he spent the rest of the set standing silently with his back to the crowd. Roger Waters had the right idea with The Wall, but that's neither here nor there.

The new fast part in the middle of Schism sounded great, it's good to hear some enhancement on that. I wish Osseus Labyrint could have been there again. Lost Keys was more like just an interlude (no doctor scene), but the opening notes of Rosetta Stoned were good to hear. Maynard FLAWLESSLY sang that difficult song. I was glad to hear that in person.

I love Lateralus, but IMO it was performed better in 2001, ending the show and I like the visuals better, then. Even so, Danny was just amazing and was wearing a Shawn Marion Suns away jersey, none of that Lakers crap. Justin was way better than I remember. Adam was his usual self, which is always a good thing. I loved the lasers, they are a great visual enhancement. Vicarious must be a tougher song to play then you'd think, they did well with it, but Maynard was having a lot of vocal problems and didn't even sing "vicariously I...live while the whole world dies...much better you than I" to end the song, Whatever was ailing him took it toll. He mentioned that he must be allergic to LA, since he always gets sick after leaving there and that he knows a solution. Of course, Ænima was next and he kept messing up all the 'fuck all these..." lines and he seemed to weak to complete the song (the crowd sang the "suck it down" lines). At some point during the break of one of those songs, he had a huge handkerchief that he looked like he blew his nose in, but I was in the back of section 202, so I may be wrong.

The band took a seat on stage, conferred with each other and Justin lit a lighter and held it up for about three minutes. We then had a pavillion of lit lighters (people were also using their cellphones as such, um, that doesn't do it!). When Maynard got up, he said, "we'll play some more if you're good" or something. A roadie brought out a stool for Justin and that meant Wings/10000days was next, which saved my evening, I would have been completely pissed if they didn't play those. The vocals at the beginning of Wings were a bit muddled, but they are on the CD, too. Still, MJK braved his way thru it and thru 10000 Days. I was hoping for just one more tune to end the show, but I bet Maynard was just too damn sick to continue. Oh well. I would have loved to have heard Jambi live, that could have ended the show marvelously but you can't have everything. The concert was somewhat bizarre, thanks to MJK's health and some scumbag with a water bottle and good aim.

UnderÆnimatow
09-10-2006, 01:58 AM
I couldn't have been happier with the show. Beautifully done. And i hope the dude that threw the bottle at Maynard burns in Hell(or at least got his ass kicked by everyone in the pit, then the bouncers, then Maynard after the show, then the cops). Wings was fucking awesome, thats is all i can say, I'm speechless.

oar
09-10-2006, 02:01 AM
[anyone see the actual setlist for this show? did they skip any songs due to the waterbottle throwing douchebag? no jambi blows my mind....

Faltering
09-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Hmmm...well, what can I say? It's Tool live, lol...despite many downfalls attributed to assholes in the audience (and Los Angeles as well)...this was still my first Tool show, and it was pretty special to see the 4 of them down there on stage, doing what they do, aside from the multiple disappointments...

-sigh-

ISIS opening was nice...I couldn't help but be just a little anxious for them to finish their set so that Tool could make their way to the spotlight, but, I did my best to give them the time of day...listening to them closely, they do seem like a talented group of musicians. I was suprised to see, at one point, something along the lines of 5 acoustic instruments in total? i.e. a bass player, and perhaps 3 guitars, or some configuration along those lines. They had some interesting songs, and overall, a fairly unique style...can't say that I was annoyed to have to sit through them. ISIS thanks us for our time, and thanked Tool for having them along.

And then, the moment everyone was waiting for...

Tool made their way to the stage, and the crowd went wild. With no words of greetings from Maynard, they launched head first into Stinkfist, opening the show as perfectly as I could've imagined...so pleased to have heard that extended scream from Maynard after the interlude...vocals of that intensity just light up the atmosphere like fire...so much energy...and of course, the extended portion of Stinkfist was quite the treat. The night was going well so far.

"Today's my friend Eddie's birthday...so at the count of three, I want everyone to yell...'Eddie, you're a fucking idiot!" Much to my amusement, a large portion of the crowd incompetently yelled these words immediately, before Maynard even began counting. Alas...well, Maynard counted down, and the crowd gave this guy Eddie a hard time, thanks to Maynard.

"It's not really his birthday," Maynard informes us.

Then, The Pot. A nice acapella intro from Maynard, despite the fact that, at this point in the show, and throughout the entire show itself, I couldn't really hear as much of Maynard as I would've liked to. His voice seemed pinched, in that squeaky way that sickness seems to inevitably cause, and sort of distant. Perhaps it was my seat, but, I doubt it.

All was going well in The Pot, for about a sixth of it, until some asshole decided to ruin the show for everyone...It amuses me that at the single moment that I chose to look away from the stage, I returned my eyes to the front, just in time to see Maynard kick his mic stand off of the platform, and walk off stage. Of course, based on Maynard's later commenting, and the fellow reviews, I now know that Maynard was struck with a glass bottle of sorts in the head...

At this point, I was pleading with no one in particular for Maynard to come walking hastily back on stage to continue the song, but instead, my worst fears came true, as Maynard did not return until well beyond the end...so, for my first Tool show, not only did I miss the best of The Pot, but, Maynard further reprimanded the audience (though only several people deserved such a punishment) by refusing to sing for Forty Six & 2, only chimining in at the very end for the close.

I remember thinking, due to the fact that Maynard was in his place, that the lack of vocals for Forty Six and Two was due to some kind of extended intro to the song...but I was further heart-broken when Adam and Justin pounded in that way they do when the chorus should've been upon us...-sigh- Maynard was really making a lot of us unhappy (or at least me) on account of one or two assholes.

So, Forty Six and Two ends, and Maynard sarcastically thanks the idiot who nailed him in the head with a glass bottle during The Pot for his generous donation. He said something to the effect of, "For whoever threw the bottle of... ...thanks a lot; I just had to take a break and enjoy it". Hm, it was either something along those lines, or, he made a note of how the bottle stayed intact when it hit him in the head. "It didn't even break." I was cursing, pissed as hell. Other fans equally expressed their dissaproval of one moron dampening the night for the rest of us. Then, on a more serious note, Maynard tells the unappreciative fans down in the pit, "You people really need a better means of expressing your fucking love." And isn't he right...maybe a means that doesn't involve causing the vocalist of my favorite band to walk off stage during my first ever Tool concert (and first ever rock concert at that).

Well, next came Schism. That was quite a treat...Maynard's sickness was really taking a toll on him, and despite this, I still think the vocals weren't reaching into the audience correctly...and if they were, they just weren't making it to my seats...-sigh- I wish I had gotten those 101s...but due to my inexperience with purchasing tickets via ticketmaster, mine were released, and by the time I got anything, I had to settle for section 205, row QQ. I suppose I can't complain though...despite the poor angle and distance, I could still see the band well...The Cricket Pavillion was set up pretty nicely, such that even though everyone was standing, I had a clear view of the stage.

Well, a healthy Maynard or not, Schism is just one of those classics you gotta' hear live, so, I am thankful for that...and the speedy alteration of the middle part was a nice treat as well.

Next up was Rosetta Stoned...just based off of the beforehand ambience, I knew it was either going to be Rosetta Stoned, or Sober. Well, we got Rosetta Stoned, and that was just as awesome. Even though Maynard failed to perform on certain other challenging parts of songs, he gave us the screams for this one, and that was nice to hear...it seems like the screams were the only moments that really seemed to come through loud and clear. Well, Rosetta Stoned was really good, overall.

Was it just me, or did Adam or perhaps Justin repeatedly hold some lines a little too long, cutting into some of the parts of songs that were supposed to have more rest and silence? I noticed this in both Lateralus and Rosetta Stoned as well, if I recall correctly.

Well, up next was Lateralus...they just HAD to play this one live, right? Well, everything went pretty well, though I thought I noticed some sloppy timing in there at some point from either Adam or Justin, or perhaps a collective muddle. And, I was a little disappointed that Maynard stuck to the lower octaves when singing, "Our divinityyyy" towards the end. Usually he ventures into head voice for the third syllable of "divinity", but, not this time. Oh well...

Next up was Vicarious...everything was tolerable, despite Maynard having a difficult time surviving through his parts...and the difficulty really showed when he decided to sit out for "La-la-la-la-la lie...". I had been waiting to hear him chant that one...and ever more, I desperately wanted to hear, "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies...much better you than I.", but to no avail.

It was at this point that Maynard probably felt he owed the crowd an explanation for his lack of delivering on some of the most anticipated moments... of some of the most anxiously awaited songs...

"It seems that every time we come to Arizona, we do so by way of LA...and it seems that every time I go to LA, I get sick...so I guess, I either really hate LA, or am just really sick...but, I think I have a solution...we need to have an earthquake" It was at this point that I hoped he would leap into the beloved, "Heyghh, heyghh, heyghh, heyghh, heyghh". But, at the very least, any Tool fan with a vague knowledge of the song Aenema knew what was coming...Continuing, he says, "So after this, I'm gonna' go home, take some sudafed, and jerk off to comedy central... ...goodnight..." This is a close representation of what Maynard gave the audience before leaping into Aenema...on with the song...

A nice performance on Aenema, minus the part where Maynard decided to stumble over the words of the closing versus, saying at one point, "Fuck L. Ron Hubbard, fuck your tatoos, fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories." Of course, "tatoos" didn't belong in this section, but, over such a trivial thing, who can really get picky? Of course, at first, hearing him say it for the second time in the next verse was just an unfortunate reminder of how Maynard must've really been off this night (unless it was intentional)...and of all nights...I had to catch them with Maynard at less than his best...

Apparently, however, Maynard repeated the "junkies" lines three times intentionally, as to really drive home his distate for people who follow such a lifestyle. "Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories."

After seeing the kind of people I saw that night, Maynard couldn't have been more right....

You know, there really is something about LA...about Southern California in general...the last 5 times I'VE gone down there, I've caughten a sickness of one sort or another...all of them deviating in severity...some lasting a few days, while others linger for weeks...fucking Los Angeles...to think that I once lived there...maybe there's just something about living in Arizona, and then venturing into a place like LA...who knows...such a grimey, germ ridden place...maybe we really should flush it all away...it'd probably be nice to "watch it all go down."

So, towards the end of Aenema, Maynard apparently didn't even have the strength to sing those aggressive, "BRING IT DOWN, SUCK IT DOWN, FLUSH IT DOWN," Instead, he opted to say the first word of these phrases, in such a manner as if giving a demand, rather than in that tone that expresses his own desire to see it all just sink. "Bring it..." *crowd*, "Suck it" (Hahahah...you had to have laughed) *crowd*, "Flush it" *crowd*...annnnnnd...end.

*continued below*

Faltering
09-10-2006, 04:56 AM
*continued from above*

Well, Maynard sounding unenthusiastic wasn't the greatest of ways to see them leave...and honestly, the way Maynard said "goodnight," there really wasn't a margin of hope...there was no being skeptical that they'd play another song...there WAS no "other song." The night was over...and I think Tool truly planned to walk off stage after Aenema was over...and three of them did just that, save for Danny Carrey who decided to take a seat towards the front of the stage, and examine the roaring crowd, who, much to my surprise was very forgiving, despite the multiple upsets of the evening.

Soon enough though, the other 3 band members joined him down at the front, watching the crowd, hugging eachother in brotherly, loving embraces, and just lying in the afterglow of their "could've been better, but once again we gave it our best" performance. Maynard shook his foot around, which was nice to see..it's a kind of motion that people make when they're trying to be lighthearted, rather than sit in a sullen type of gloom, and negativity. Him and Justin in particular were chatting it up, with the last I saw of their conversation being Adam nodding, and turning back towards the crowd. While those two talked, Justin had sparked his lighter, and held it up, waving it back and forth before him, which had a chain reaction of countless people in the audience following suit. An interesting sight, really...a multitiude of burning flames...much like a room filled with flickering candles as far as you could see...at this point, due to the apparently positive mood of the band, the notion of another song coming along wasn't so far fetched...I started to have second thoughts...hope...Maynard amused the audience with his accusations of everyone being crackheads. For what reason, I don't recall, but I think it had something to do with the color of some of the flames. "Do they check your crackpipes at the entrance?" Something along those lines.

So, all of them standing up, Maynard approaches the mic and says, "We'll play one more if you're good..." and the crowd roared...I believe he then said..."well, better...better...better..." As if, "Well, you guys were pretty good, except for a few assholes, so, we'll play one more if you're 'better'." I could be mistaken on this, but, that's as much as I personally followed.

"This one's for crack," or "This one's for Eddie," the friend of his he mentioned earlier. I believe it was the former. I could be mistaken in both cases though; it wasn't easy to hear him throughout the night.

...And it was at this point that Tool gave us their closing song of Wings for Marie, and 10,000 Days. A very pleasant way to the end the evening, I must say.

Of course, even in this song...Maynard choked at some point...starting in with, "What're they gonna' do when the lights go down..."- and then, strangely, as if he were rushed, he leaped into, "IiIIIiii, only pray that heaven knows when to lift you out, 10,000 days in the fire is long enough...you're going home..." etc. etc...perhaps he came in too late to finish the beforehand verses...overall, you could really tell that Maynard just wasn't feeling too hot.

So, we got our Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days, and Maynard tamely put the mic down, and gave the audience a final wave, which sent the crowd cheering. The remaining members, namely Justin and Danny Carrey made their way to the front of the stage, and humored us all with their cheerfulness, tossing souvenirs to the at least partly undeserving pit section...drum sticks (I counted three of these)...some sort of hovering frisbee-like things...and a bottle of water or two...hahah...right back at you idiots...Danny Carrey gave a bow at some point, even after repeatedly waving and humoring us...really indulging the crowd's admiration and thanks...nice to see the rest of the band in better spirits than Maynard was. And soon enough, the four musicians that are Tool were gone from the stage, and the all-too-familiar background music set in, and the night for the most part was over...

Minus the part where immediately afterwards, the guy sitting but two seats to my right (his girlfriend being directly to my right) apparently socked some guy in the row behind us in the face...and that was it...things escalated amazingly fast at that point...the girls accompanying the assaulted individual began yelling and questioning the attacker, who, much to my disbelief was a very small guy...I'm about 6'1, 6'2, and he had to have been a head or two below me...and he was a very thin fellow...maybe he should pick his fights better...especially when the guy you attack ends up having about 5 of his friends leap over the seats and literally jump you until you manage to stumble out of their blood thirsty wolf pack after being savagely roughed up...before the eyes of your helpless girlfriend, no less...

Well, in all honestly, I hope the guy who got socked was the guy who, throughout the entire show had the BIGGEST. MOUTH. EVER. What the hell is wrong with these people? They just don't shut up.

This guy ranted and raved throughout the entire show, practically, screaming idiotic comments, seemingly for the sake of hearing his own voice, assuming himself witty and amusing...it did nothing but infuriate those in close proximity to him...but, someone like that, drunk off his ass with no true appreciation for brilliance such as Tool...

Well, just...what can you expect right?

Anyway, that further soured my evening..."Much better you than I," I thought as I watched the gang-raped individual who had a little more fight in his dog than was good for him. stumble away in a chaotic bewilderement...

Heh, perhaps he was as pissed about the screaming asshole behind us as I was...no one wants to hear a loud-mouthed fuckhead when you're trying to listen to genius like Tool...

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed to have not gotten to hear Jambi..I was really looking forward to that...furthermore...Maynard really copped out at some of the worst possible moments...the ending half of The Pot...all of Forty Six and Two, pretty much, the end of Vicarious, and the enchanting high octaves that he usually makes such a brave effort to replicate for his dedicated fans...Sober would've been nice too, but, hey...another time perhaps...the follow-up album tour for 10,000 Days, anyone? Sounds good to me...

Anyway...overall, I can't say I didn't have a good time...Tool is Tool...crazy shit or no crazy shit, it all adds to the experience...and whether it was entirely positive, or mostly negative, I think everyone walks away from a show like Tool's with something useful of their experience...

A good way to spend a Saturday night...

And was I the only one who noticed the prissy girls with their loud, filthy little mouths, screaming their curses and obscenities while standing in line to buy a shirt for a band who they've probably never even heard, minus maybe a Pot or Vicarious on the radio?

-sigh- I myself purchased a shirt and a poster, which I clung to lovingly throughout the show, as to not have it taken by any shameless asses. Quite a price to pay for a couple of items such as these...and, brought to my attention was the "Los Angeles, CA" on the sleeve...I don't really know what to make of that...disappointing, I suppose. But, what can you do? They probably just had left overs from the Staples Center the night before...

Dear God, where are all the amazing fans that I see posting here on The Tool Page? The ones who have a true appreciation for what Tool does for us all? -sigh- Truly disappointing...a crowd full of drunken, unruly fools...inevitable, I suppose...

Well, that's that for TOOL at the Cricket Pavillion in Phoenix Arizona, September 9th, 2006, 8:00 PM.

For the most part?

'Was glad to have been there...

tattooedsean777
09-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I will say that the gammage show was so much better. I will be brief. Nice reviews so far with basically already saying what I would. That bottle thrower done most likely by yet another drunken idiot. The crowd seemed quieter in such large numbers than the gammage gig.

Damnit to the little virus that infected Maynard's body! haha! I hope he gets better.

elburritobandito
09-10-2006, 07:59 AM
well...

the good: beautiful night (phx summer finally broke). Isis was really good. 3/4 of tool were flawless all night. getting wings/10kdays as an encore was a pleasant surprise.
might have been the best performance of stinkfist i have seen.

the bad: no jambi. maynard walkoff. maynard's reduced range. maynard's general diva bullshit. maynard in general.

i don't know if i am getting too old to be a fanboy or what, but the whole water bottle incident kind of killed the show for me. it would have been fine if he had just stopped the show right there and reprimanded the crowd. give people a chance to police each other and then continue the show as it was meant to be. leaving the stage mid song and then taunting the crowd through the majority of 46+2 was childish, selfish, typical maynard. yes, there are assholes in the world, especially at a tool concert. yes, they are throwing bottles. yes, they should be sterilized so they can't reproduce. but that in no way means the rest of the crowd should miss out because of them. pull up your panties and finish the show.

maynard's already at the back of the stage, out of the lights, away from the smoke, doesn't move, doesn't sing when he feels like it. maybe he should get a popemobile and a hardhat to protect himself as well.

i think the fact of the matter is that his voice isn't as reliable as it once was. he gets frustrated about it and then uses whatever excuse he can to leave the stage whenever possible. did the same thing 2 days ago during 10k days. it will be interesting to see how many times this little scenario repeats itself over the course of the tour.

enough bitching. what was interesting to me was that the band never missed a beat during maynard's absence. it was kind of cool to hear the little flourishes and accents that you may not notice when the vocals are present.

overall, i enjoyed myself. probably the weakest tool show i have seen, but better than no tool at all, i suppose.

jambi46n2
09-10-2006, 09:02 AM
I hope the guy that threw the water bottle spends an eternity in hell getting sodomized by 50 cent.

The 46n2 instrumental was cool but the reason behind it was disappointing. Ok, it would have sucked being hit in the head by a bottle: but Maynard do the math ... (1 dickhead) : (Full house - 1 hardcore fans that paid a fair amount of money to be there).

No Jambi, no Right In Two, no Opiate. Wings/10000 days was the only saving grace of the night in my opinion. Oh that and Isis who were very excellent.

"But you changed that all for me".
"You must have been out your head"

---

Ok, my previous review was a little negative. The visuals (videos and lasers) were very very good (especially Rosetta Stoned), Stinkfist was as tight as ever and hearing the crowd go off everytime Arizona Bay was mentioned during Aenema was cool too. The night wasnt a total loss, just disappointingly flat. Even Lateralus was flat and that just aint right, man.

And special thanks to guy that helped me navigate cross-country out of the parking lot after the show. I had to drive home to Tucson that night and faced the prospect of having to sleep in my car because of the gridlocked lot. Poor event organization, but I was greatful for the help getting out. Peace.

---

BigWeenie
09-10-2006, 09:41 AM
well...gammage was the best show i've seen untill last night... maynard was personable despite being hit in the head with the bottle. people are saying water but it was glass because he said it didn't even break...he said people need to learn different ways of expressing theire LOVE. He said LA always makes him sick and he didn't know if he's just allergic to LA or something else...said he was gonna jerk off to comedy central. Straight hated on LA for a good minute...said the only thing we can all do is pray for an earthquake right before aenima then when he said see you down in arizona bay of course the crowd here loved it really a united energy there! so he didn't sing 46 and 2 untill the final verse great song w/ or w/o him. would of liked right in two and jambi... wings for marie was intense. Danny was wearing an Omare Stoudemire (phoenix suns) uniform which was hilarious cuz at gammage he was wearing a Kobe jersey during there match up guess he's a front runner. They sold us shirts that said LA on the sleeve which is fuckin' hilarious obviously a sick joke cuz they clearly expressed dislike for the bs three ring circus side show of freaks that it is. Another great maynardism was a repeat i've read from a previous show... he asked why everyone had lighters if they take your crack pipes at the door... then he said some stuff that was hard to make out and referenced crack another time or two before the silence grew for what most people knew was gonna be 10000 days then he said "this one is for crack" and the song slowly began.

And of course on the music...gammage was like the album and i see now how it was a warm up tour... no song's sounded exactly like the record not one...schism had an insane drum solo danny's the man...rossetta stoned had new and more intense screaming guitar...there was another guitar solo added to another song lateralus i think...justin did some extra stuff here and there. Someone aluded to maynard repeating the same three lines in aenima three times....which the junkie failed to realize ends with "fuck your short memories" d o i h a v e t o s p e l l i t
o u t f o r y o u. and the most obvious addition to the show was electronic transitions played by none other than maynard on keyboard and adam on a synthesizer i believe fuckin' rad... not like the album not like previous shows everything was updated everything was full tilt. see them even if you saw the warm up tour this is much better!!!

MJudge
09-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Faltering, the frisby type things you see danny tossing at the end of the show are actually drumheads w the setlist written on them. he does it at every show. :)
great write up btw

Apostate
09-10-2006, 10:42 AM
My second show, the first being Coachella this year.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and Maynard displayed that by walking offstage and leaving us (albeit still amazing) wIth an instrumental The Pot and 46 & 2. I was AMAZED at how the guys didn't falter on anything, and just kept plugging away. When MJK came back on stage, it looked like he leaned over to tell Danny something, who knows what. I know it's probably irritating to get pegged in the head with a waterbottle, while sick, but really it wasn't necessary to leave for AS LONG as he did.

Visuals were amazing, Lateralus had me going NUTS. Rosetta Stoned was amazing, I've found a new liking for that song (as is with hearing most Tool songs live). Hearing Wings was a real treat, but it seemed like most of the audience didn't really get the "specialness" of the tune, and most people seemed pretty bored in my section.

No Jambi, Opiate, Right in Two (FUCK!) really sucks, but you can't blame the guy for being sick. He even cracked a note or two on....Schism was it? I can't remember, but more than once MJK squeaked a bit, but I loved it. They're just guys playing some good rock music, not mythical gods of ancient magic. Stop throwing shit at them.

Oh well. It's Tool. We'll pay twice as much to see half the show and hear a fourth of the actual song.

PS- Isis was great. I can't believe so many people disliked them.

The_Pati3nt
09-10-2006, 11:23 AM
This will be quick, as I'm pretty much still wasted.

First - the whole bottle thing. I personally think we "lost" Jambi due to that incident. What a fuc-king mess - ruin The Pot, and 46&2, and lose a whole song. Just great. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, as while I'd be pissed if it was me that got tagged in the head, I think Maynard was kind of a bitch about the whole thing.

The rest of the show was positively sick - I was amazed at how killer Rosetta Stoned was live - frickin epic.

Lastly, being a drummer, and being in the pit, I was in absolute awe and disbelief watching D. Carey up close for 90 minutes. His drumming is (always) visceral, beautiful, raw and brutal all at once.

Light show was bad a$$ - really loved the green lasers.

Still can't believe no Jambi though.......I WAS WAITING FOR THAT FUC-KING SONG!!!

Oh well, maybe in 2010/2011.

Peace.

sunn
09-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Whatever hit mjk in the head left a red mark/slight bruise. I was front and center in the pit relaxing on the bar with a flawless view and i swear he was hit with something heavier. I dont think i have ever seen someone look as pissed as he was when he kicked the mic and walked backstage. The show just didnt seem right ever since that happened.

whooz
09-10-2006, 12:58 PM
It wasn't just a plastic water bottle, because Maynard said "it didn't even break." If someone through glass bottle at my head, I'd probably be just as pissed as he was. I don't think that's why they didn't play Jambi though, I think that's because he was sick and wanted to do a shorter set. I really wanted to Jambi though... up until about a week ago it was one of my least favorite Tool songs, but for some reason I started liking it a lot more and was very eager to see them play it. Oh well. :(

beyondhairy
09-10-2006, 01:24 PM
i didnt go to the show, but i read the two posts above this one and had to say that maynard is a real man. if it was infact a glass bottle, then wow maynards the man..

a friend linked me to a youtube video of the lead singer of panic at the disco got hit int he face with a glass bottle and fell to the floor and was unconcious for a bit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7YHLPjEQL0A thats the video, that bottle didnt shatter either.

maynard isnt a 19 year old boy like this guy was but a glass bottle to the face is a glass bottle to the face, props go out to maynard for being able to stay on his feet and finishing up the set

HanInCarbonite
09-10-2006, 01:30 PM
My 5th TOOL gig--
Words of wisdom for tonight:
"You guys need to find a different way to express your fucking love.." MJK

Set List:
Stinkfist
The Pot (Abandoned Version)
46 & 2 (Special Instrumental Version) -Has anyone else gotten this live?
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
AENEMA (sorry I don't know how to connect the A and E)

Encore-
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)

Ok, I (also) have mixed feelings about tonight. After Maynard had left the stage (you should know why by now), I just kept thinking that we were going to get fucked out of Right In Two (which we may well have) and Wings pt 1 and 2. Anyway, didn't they make you throw away your water bottles there. I think him being sick made the whole situation worse for him, he was pushing himself a bit and it didnt feel appreciated after the incident. I seemed to feel this tension (knowing what a dick Maynard can be if you don't show respect) through the rest of the concert, after he put his shirt back on he didnt loosen up as before, like he was in a way pouting the rest of the show (c'mon Maynard cheer up, your playing a sold out show for god's sake, you're making money doing what you love to do). This was not your normal TOOL show, the drama may have been good or bad. Also Cricket shut off the fans after the first couple songs, the cheap bastards. I also kept thinking about BLUES BROTHERS the movie, when they were playing "Rawhide" in that cage having shit thrown at them. On with the review...

Yeah, the vocals did suffer a bit from Maynard being sick but the show was still amazing. Rosetta Stoned (minus Lost Keys which I love) with the new visuals of that guy staggering down the highway and Lateralus also with new visuals were the highlights of course. The instrumental 46&2 was also special (who else gets that version). Maybe this can be a new trend, be stupid in your town and see what other instrumental versions we can get. The crowned gem was Wings 1 & 2. I was finally able to relax that Maynard shared that song with us despite what happend. The cloud effect (from left to right) was awesome, I love when I can go "how did they do that?" I was pissed there was no Jambi and for the past month (or whenever they started playing it at shows) really wanted to hear Right In Two; maybe it wasnt planned because of him being ill since the song is very vocal or maybe it was that cocksucker who threw the bottle, I believe that we were atleast fucked out of Jambi (FUCK!!!!). The lasers and smoke machines, the smoke clouds, everything worked very well. Vocally Gammage was better, visually of course TOOL really takes advantage of the arena setting.

I'm not sure what the deal with Los Angeles being on the sleeves of the shirt exactly was, did someone order too many shirts for the last two shows. Well, I waited until the stand was about to close and still got one with it on there, maybe cause they reside in LA. My buddy did make a good point saying that it wouldnt be smart cost wise to have the name of each city on the sleeve, that actually convinced me to buy one (for $38 fucking dollars).

In conclusion, I can't wait for them to come back (maybe America West next year or so). Then maybe we'll get Right In Two. I also hope Maynard felt better after he took his sudafed and jerked off to Comedy Central (isn't that what he said), which maybe he should have done before the show to release some built up tension. Oh and one other thing......Adam Jones is the shit. Thanks TOOL, you put together another breathtaking show.

vastus medialis
09-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Maynard was also sick about two years ago when he came to Phoenix w/ A Perfect Circle, which is probably why he says he is always sick when he gets to Phoenix.

So...I fucking missed the opening act because the crowd was backed up outside forever. I actually did not get inside until about 5-10 minutes before TOOL started their set. I have never seen that many people for a show at Cricket Pavillion in my life. I've been to festivals and other big named bands at this venue, but this crowd was unlike anything I have ever seen.

I was disappointed that they did not play Right in Two, because it sounds like it would be an awesome song to hear live. And I wished they played Jambi because that was my favorite song they performed at Coachella. But it was still an awesome show.

Danny Carey is my hero, by the way. Greatest drummer I've ever seen....

Disciple
09-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Fantastic show. Minus the loss of Maynard in The Pot and 46 & 2...though I can't say I blame him. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the groin of whomever threw that bottle. Everything else was almost perfect. That was the best live performance I've ever seen, ever. Danny was amazing, Adam was just phenominal, and Justin (my hero) was as perfect live as I had imagined. Maynard's performance, of course, justified every one of my arguments to my friends that Tool is one of the greatest bands of our time. This was my first Tool show, (the first time I could afford to see one) and it was worth every minute of waiting and every dollar I saved for the tickets. I can't wait for their return show (god I hope there will be one). I'm dying to hear more Undertow, AEnima, Lateralus...everything (everything I've missed out on). Good show guys, please come back soon!

JesusIsCuming
09-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Ok, now that was the worst Tool show I have seen yet. And I have been to 5 of them! The fact some waste of space blinked Maynard in the head with a water bottle is just plain RUDE! It was probably the same drunk fuck from 2001 that was yelling at Tricky, "YOU SUCK, I WANT TOOL" What the fuck was that guy thinking? (Hmmmm? Maybe if I hit Maynard in the head with a bottle, he'll like me more?) Some peoples kids!

Maynard had all kinds of weird rules for people backstage. Like no smoking allowed backstage at all, and that they had pictures givin out of the band members so people would know them by sight.

But, since I was working the show, I got a lil news about the asshole who threw the bottle. As far as what I was told by others, the guy was pulled out of the pit by 2 other LARGE stagehands who then proceeded to beat him unmerciful. But again, this is hearsay, not something I saw.

As for Maynard throwin a fit about the whole thing, I think he could have handled it better. Like channeling his anger into the music and using it to SCREAM where he needed to, or telling people to rat out the person who threw it, and have them throw the person onto stage and have Danny Carey throttle him with some drumsticks! I understand that Maynard has some sort of sickness or cold, but he was singing fine before the bottle hit him in the head. Or at least it seemed that was to me.

Anywho, even though it was the worst that I have seen, it was still enjoyable and memorable. Hope you enjoyed it! Wish I could have heard Jambi as well.........

I also have to give my kudos to the Video Crew for the tour. They had one hell of an amazing set. For those of you that could actually see it. If you were in some of the VIP or 100 -200 seating you couldn't see that all that stuff was white onstage for a reason. I know I couldn't see it from the pit. There were 6 large venue projectors hanging above the bandmembers heads projecting the same images you saw on the screens, onto the white parts of the stage they were standing on.

ZERO ONE PRODUCTIONS

http://members.cox.net/zerooneav/Tool640.jpg

Faltering
09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Faltering, the frisby type things you see danny tossing at the end of the show are actually drumheads w the setlist written on them. he does it at every show. :)
great write up btw

Ah, so that's what those were. x.x

Hahah, thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for the feedback. =)

jambi46n2
09-10-2006, 04:02 PM
...maybe it wasnt planned because of him being ill since the song is very vocal or maybe it was that cocksucker who threw the bottle, I believe that we were atleast fucked out of Jambi (FUCK!!!!).

When I was queueing up before the gates opened I heard the rehersal of the voice-box section of Jambi, so I reckon it was a last minute scrubbing from the setlist.

I also agree with the other reviewer who said Maynard sounded fine during Stinkfist and the first part of The Pot, so whether we would have had a reduced setlist anyway is questionable. Only one man can answer that question.

tooltgle
09-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Personally I greatly enjoyed the lack of maynard through the pot and 46 and 2. The raw power of just the music, stripped of vocals, was absolutely amazing.

daw399
09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
2nd tool show. TOOL was excellent! venue was terrible, parking was terrible, traffic was terrible, lines to get in were a joke. People in Phoenix are some of the worst fans i've seen. very immature. cricket pavilion is a corporate nightmare. easily the worst place i've seen a concert. i wish TOOL had set a date in N.M. the band did an excellent job. Wings Part 2 was great, highlight of the evening. would've been nice to hear him sing 46&2, we all know why he didn't. IDIOTS! all in all the band was great. phoenix needs to represent their city a little better next time. my last phoenix show, if i can help it.

JesusIsCuming
09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
2nd tool show. TOOL was excellent! venue was terrible, parking was terrible, traffic was terrible, lines to get in were a joke. People in Phoenix are some of the worst fans i've seen. very immature. cricket pavilion is a corporate nightmare. easily the worst place i've seen a concert. i wish TOOL had set a date in N.M. the band did an excellent job. Wings Part 2 was great, highlight of the evening. would've been nice to hear him sing 46&2, we all know why he didn't. IDIOTS! all in all the band was great. phoenix needs to represent their city a little better next time. my last phoenix show, if i can help it.

I completely agree with you. I have seen a few shows(rock shows) out at Cricket and everyone of them had some morons starting fires out on the lawn. I have a feeling it may be that the heat has fried a few too many brain cells in these single cell oganisms. Too many idiots down here. I should move back to Chicago.

chodaboy
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
I also attended the concert. I agree with Jesusiscuming, worst show ever. However, the band minus Maynard were on top of everything. Even after the bottle incident. Maynard sounded great during Stinkfist and most of The Pot. After he was hit, that was the end of it. Although, I liked how the band kept The Pot going even though it was over. They played the last part twice. And the instrumental 46&2 was neat but the reason for it was fucked up.

I understand that Maynard would be pissed but to let effect the whole show was a bit much. He half assed some songs here and there. Sang only parts of Aenima towards the end and sang the "Fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories" part all three times. I wonder if the fuck heads go the message. It is still good to see them live though. This just was not their best show in Phoenix. I could feel the eneregy get sucked out of the venue after Maynard stormed off. I really wonder how sick he was or if he was just making excuses for cutting the show short. He may have been because to change the set list during a show must throw off the visuals and other stuff.

As for the crowd. FUCK SKINHEADS!!!! Those bastards were lighting fires with their clothes and plastic. They were moshing around it like it was Lord of The Flies. The security was non existent. Most of them looked like they just came out of the hood. They weren't prepared for anything. So the fire kept going. Dumb Asses should not be allowed to attend Tool concerts. Outside after the show there were some assholes destroying a computer monitor. Glass and plastic were every where. I advised them that they should touch the back of the tube.  Maybe it would free our world of a few more dumbasses.

The stage show and lighting were fantastic. I was impressed with the new fogging machines and the lasers. The all white stage totally brought out the ambiance. Overall I would give it a 3 out of 10. My perfect 10 would be the Gammage show.

Dog_Si_Dranyam
09-11-2006, 12:33 AM
It was alright. My first concert ever, so really I don't have much to judge this by. I was stuck in the lawn and had pretty good "seats" when we first got there. But then these fuckin assholes kept squeezing inbetween us with maybe 1 foot seperating me and the person in front of them. They kept pushing throgh "exuse me" and I kept saying fuck no... But somehow they managed it. Couldn't see shit the entire time, really.

The mosh pits basically started immediately. One of my friends decided to jump into one and I kept giving him glares, letting him know what a fucking retard he is. The mosh definitely ruined the first half of the show for me because it was just so ridiculous. Didn't get to see the incident with the bottle... Didn't even know Maynard left the stage. I just thought it was weird that he suddenly stopped singing.

Anyway, I thought the band did an amazing job. Listening to them was great, definitely. Love the modified versions of a few songs, and I didn't really mind Maynard's voice at all... Maybe a note here and there, but I really didn't think he was too off, especially being sick and all. I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get "Jambi", but whatever.

LOVED when everyone took out their lighters. That was pretty awesome. And "Wings" just stunned me in awe. It finally stopped the pits and actually calmed those fuckers down.

My problem wasn't so much the band, it was the fans there. "fans". Someone was right on when they said "immature". I was really really ashamed to be surrounded by such a big group of unappreciative, inconsiderate, rude and ignorant assholes. Even my own friend... I let him know what a jackass he was for moshing after I had told him just ebout every day for the past month that moshing at a Tool show is disrespectful to the band and even me. He obviously didn't care for that and shit all over my first experience. So I've distanced myself from him for a while.

Great job Tool. Bad job fans... Most of you sucked balls. To the ones that were there to enjoy a show and let others enjoy it with you. Thanks. You were few and far between but at least you made parts of it enjoyable.

Cardinal_Syn
09-11-2006, 02:23 AM
My first Tool concert. Well there were alot of highs and lows.

i had decent seats. 202 k 16's. And no one in front of me and a hell of alot of space on either side of me. Great views.

Lets start with Isis. I enjoyed their live stuff. The crowd they did draw was mixed from what i was hearing. They how to play their instruments quite well. I just couldnt understand the singer. But overall i liked em.

As for Tool coming out and breaking into stinkfist. I was blown away. Mind you this is the first time i heard them live. Then the pot came i was like SWEET. Then some jackass threw a water bottle at Maynard. What a fucking prick. I hope the got a few broken bones ,whom ever tossed it.

After the bottle incedent he just didnt have the fire in him anymore. A short setlist was bound to happen after that. He coulda just said "fuck it and i am outa here". Glad he didnt thou. Thanks for sticking in there man!

The show had alot of lazer light beam shit. I wasnt all into that but it had a neat effect. I was hearing during the lateralus tour they had some really neat stage props and stuff. Would have liked to see somthing of that nature. But the lazers were alright. Maybe better visuals behind them? Maybe higher? The visuals that were behind you coulda barely see. And the ones on the side. I am not gonna focus on cause i was there to see the band!

Anyways i am just rambling. Tool fucking rocks out! Thanks for the show.

Glad we did get to hear wings and 10k days.

Hopefully he had some good news at the vinyard. Wonder how many groupies headed out that way :> I was gonna be one of them but decided agaisnt it.

Ciao.

pscoop
09-11-2006, 08:20 AM
3rd Tool show for me. A real shame what happened during the Pot. Maynard came out and seemed in good spirits initially (did anyone else notice his farting noises as he hit the stage?). I thought he sounded great during Stinkfist, First half of the Pot sounded good then the bullshit started, as alot of people have posted, some waste of space hit Maynard with a bottle and pissed him off. I am convinced this resulted in a shorter setlist without Jambi and Possibly Right in Two. Luckily we did get Wings and Days as an encore which was very well played. A couple of teenagers were screwing on the lawn right in front of my buddy, he got quite a show lol. Despite the bullshit the band overall sounded great, really tight in my opinion, the new fast section during Schism is pretty sweet. Just wish we could have heard Jambi. Screw the cocksucker that threw that damn bottle, what an asshole.

pedrodelawasp
09-11-2006, 08:48 AM
*continued from above*
...some sort of hovering frisbee-like things

I think you'll find those were drum skins, mate. They don't just dish out their top secret hover frisbees to anyone, you know...

H.Cornerstone
09-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Everythinga bout the show has already been said, This was my first ever Tool concert, Was upset they didn't play Right In Two or anything off of opiate/undertow. However, all the songs they did play were great and the 46&2 instrumental was cool even though it was caused by some idiot. Lateralus is one of my favorite songs and it is even better live. Wings for Marie was a great ending.

just simulacra
09-11-2006, 04:56 PM
all I can add to this is that i was against the rail, and maynard signalled several times his voice was done. this, coupled with his pissed off attitude, really made for a poor show. but, tool's not to blame. and with maynard on the keyboard during wings, between verses, coughing HORRIBLY AND VIOLENTLY [anyone else see this?] i definitely didnt lose any respect for the band.

i feel sorry for phoenix, we're assholes.

just simulacra
09-11-2006, 05:06 PM
also, maynards head was noticeably bruised or cut from the bottle, for sure.
i assume it was blood/bandaged, and not bruised [that quickly, at least].

BigWeenie
09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
screw all the people that had anything to say negative about arizona...new mexico is not even a real state there is nothing there...yeah the venue was poorly organized but the rest of you fans are also to blame..."think for yourself" if there's a east entrance there must be a west entrance (which no one used!)...maynard lives here and was more personable to us even after he got hit in the head than he has been at any show i've read about on the whole tour...and i'm slowly becoming convinced the rest of the band lives here too they clearly don't like life in LA that was for there careers i doubt any member still lives there...thats why they put LA on the sleeves sick joke as i said once before

Hydroburn42
09-11-2006, 10:59 PM
I went to the west entrance. it was just as long as the east entrance. I listened to isis while waiting in line, from what i could hear they sounded neat. lead singer sounded good at times. then again it was all muffled because we were outside the venue. I left my house at 6:30 pm, the freeway was a mess the venue was a mess, and I got to my seat at 9:10. I live IN the valley, i wasnt traveling. took over 2 and a half hours to get to my seat.

atlastitsok
09-11-2006, 11:11 PM
i left from mesa at 6, arrived at 7, got in and was seated with time to spare before isis came on just shy of 8:30.

getting outs another story. we sat in one spot and didnt see a single car move for over 15 minutes.

fortysix_and_tool
09-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, I'm finally getting around to writing something about the show.

I had a blast!! I tailgated before the show and after, too much traffic to deal with.
Oddly, I didnt get to meet any Toolnavy people. Met one fellow Toolarmy member and that was it. Guess, I didnt try hard enough. Next time, if they come back, hope so.

The line to get in was horrible, I missed ISIS complete, that pissed me off. I like ISIS, I guess not too many people here tho. It sucked waiting, from what I could hear they sounded amazing, amazing...ly awesome. So what about the screaming vocals, ISIS' music as a whole is why I like them. The vocals just add a little something to there sounds. Hey thats just me. Hope I get to see them another time.

Finally got in, got all the requirements out of the way, t-shirt for my son, bought the big "Net of Being" poster (awesome,btw), pee'd, got another beer, and went to our seats and waited. Lots of people, I guess they actually sold out Cricket for this one. Never thought they would.

Everyone knows the setlist so I wont bother.

I really didnt mind "Fortysix & 2" with out the vocals. Just goes to show how talented the other guys are. They were awesome this night. If there were any mistakes I could tell, I'm not that picky about that kind of stuff. They're human too.

Despite the whole fuckin' water bottle incident screwing shit up and pissin' Maynard off, I think he did his best. I for one give him props for not leaving Phx hanging and trying to finish the night. Thanks Maynard. Hope the water boy got his ass handed to him!!

Sadly, no "Right in Two" or "Jambi".

Highlights...seeing Tool again. My forth show now. And my sons first!!! : )
OH and the visuals, lights, smoke and lasers. Awesome stuff. Gammage pwnd as far as sound went but the whole visualation part was unbelievable here.

Sure it didnt go off with out some problems (waterboy), Maynard not feeling all that well to sing to his potential, waterboy. I still had a blast this night with my family and some friends, and Tool!! Justin, Danny, Adam, and Maynard thanks for hangin in there and playing for us once more!! Hope we get another chance to see you play next year!!! Oh and a live DVD would be cool, too!! : )

(No band members were hurt during the writing of this post.)

begmetostay
09-12-2006, 01:04 AM
"amazing, amazing...ly awesome."

hehe, I guess you disagree with my opinion of Isis. Honestly dude I just am not into needless screaming. Why scream then your message is a beautiful on in a certain song? Wouldn't a delicately held note communicate that better? I heard the lead, he actually has a pretty nice voice, he should use it more often. Don't be afraid to scream at all, never, just use it when the situation calls for it. I guess some disagree. The thing that really bothered me about them was the thrashing bs. I have just seen that so much and for to long. Kinda like rappers just love to grab their dicks and walk like guerillas. Shit is played, was played years ago. No need to fit a stereotype to communicate your music.

I'll probably get flamed for saying that stuff but you know deep down I'm right. As talent goes I think the drummer wasn't bad I would have liked to hear some solo work. I can't bash or love them when I have no way of knowing for sure.

dclxvi-qas
09-12-2006, 06:51 AM
It was a good show until that fuckin queer threw the bottle.

I sat in the 301 section with some assholes who kept talking throughout the show. Man i had a bad headache from all the skankweed i smelled. I dont mind good weed, but if skankweed is the best you can get and what you want people to smell... dang i feel sorry for you.

While waiting for my wife to come out of the restroom, i started talking to some guy about tickets and seating. He told me that he just bought his tickets this evening and had tickets in the 103 section 5 rows back.

Fuck i was pissed.

I dont know if i could run on faith alone to purchase tickets is what i told him. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you dont is what he had said.

I only wish we could have sat closer instead of trying to look over peoples heads in the nosebleed section.

the addition of wings and 10000 days was pretty cool. i didnt expect to hear it when we showed up there early in the evening. but once they started to play it, i didnt know if they would play the second part, then once they started playing the second part, i thought the crowd would go nuts or absolutely love it.... but no, i was a bit surprised that everyone just got up and walked out with very minimal cheering.

but then again, the majority of the people we saw out in the beer court looked like bandwagon types who only came to hear Vicarious or The Pot or whatever is being circulated on the radio.

I swear there were so many frat boys, wannabe metalheads and meatheads before the show. I heard a group of them yelling "Yeaaaa! Maynards gonna kick some ass!!!" then giving themselves high fives and sucking each other off right behind us in the lawn area.

I came to see TOOL not just Maynard, or Adam or Justin or Danny.

One thing i saw that cracked me up were the water cannons up in the lawn area, at the time i saw them drenching everyone and i didnt have an idea as to why... but after hearing that they had fires up in the lawn section...

Dumbasses.

I wouldnt be surprised if this is the last album we get from TOOL, certainly seems so with the way they are doing their tour. some sorta feelings of finality going on there...

I read somewhere on one of the other threads that they fulfilled their recording contract also, or might still have one final album left... but all in all for all we know they could just release the Live DVD and call it quits.

Hell, with all these asshole fans, i would. I wouldnt blame them.

This is just a quick post, ill probably post more later...

The_Pati3nt
09-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Yo People....sounds like things could have been worse for us at our show - have any of you read the thread from the Houston show? Most of the posts are about Maynard not singing like 1/2 of the time, way too sick, want a refund, reschedule, etc.

Gotta roll with the punches I guess....

UPDATE - and now the San Antonio show has been postponed - wow.

pscoop
09-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Yo People....sounds like things could have been worse for us at our show - have any of you read the thread from the Houston show? Most of the posts are about Maynard not singing like 1/2 of the time, way too sick, want a refund, reschedule, etc.

Gotta roll with the punches I guess....

UPDATE - and now the San Antonio show has been postponed - wow.

Yeah when I saw the show in TX was postponed I told my wife we were lucky we got a show. And we did get to hear Wings and 10,000 days..awesome, Hope Maynard feels better.

Burrito
09-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I actually wrote this on Sunday (the day after the show) but getting signed up on this forum is like trying to get into Fort Knox ... what with all the confirmation I had to go through....good thing my finger prints arrived safely.

Anyway, obviously everything I have to say has been said but my twist is still worth reading :P

__________________________________________________ ________

Very good show indeed. In fact the whole thing just sorta worked out and fell onto a silver platter for me. I didn’t get my tickets until Friday afternoon (from ticketmaster) and somehow I ended up with pit tickets…go figure. So I arrive about 40 minutes late, get my tickets from the auto ticket dispensing machine, wait for my buddy to show up, jump in line, hit the head, walk down to the pit and the second I get there, they start into Stinkfist…timing couldn’t have been better. I worked my way to just left of center stage with about 5 people between me and the railing. Very awesome location, I really got to see Adam work his magic on the axe.

It hadn’t really sunk in where I was (how close) and how completely awesome the show was going to be until Stinkfist ended. By the time my brain started to process and register, the fucking cocksprocket bottle thrower pulled his shit and provided an immediate and overwhelming buzz-kill to everything going on. Maynard threw the mic stand down with some authority, stormed off stage and all I could think was…damn it, there goes the perfect evening. As mentioned before, it was kinda cool to hear the rest of The Pot instrumental, but forty-six and two was one of the songs that I really, really wanted to see / hear (along with Lateralus, Eulogy (I know not on this tour…but one can wish), and Wings/10,000 days). I was sorely disappointed at what transpired.

When Maynard returned, as one poster above mentioned, he very visibly had a large welt on the front right side of his head (did I mention that I somehow got pit tickets???...oh yeah I guess I did). When forty-six and two started he just stood at the back of the stage with his hands clasped together using his index fingers (kinda like the old church steeple thing you’d do when you were a kid), extending and retracting them to the rhythm of the song. While vaguely entertaining, that’s not what I wanted to see, especially on that song. At least he did chime in at the apex which provided a nice hair raising sensation on the back of my neck.

Speaking of that hair raising sensation, there are two spots on the 10,000 days album where I feel it every single time I listen to them… it never fails, it’s as consistent as my paying my taxes on April 14th but unfortunately I didn’t get either of them at this show. The first is in Jambi when Maynard is singing ‘so I….I…..I…..I would, I would, I would wish it all away’. The guitar in that section of the song is surreal and causes the aforementioned hair-neck-rising-sensation phenomenon. The other is in ‘Vicarious’ at the end when Maynard sings out ‘Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies…’ but alas, he did not sing it. People are chalking it up to the fact he was sick, I on the other hand am leaning more toward an ill-feeling he developed by virtue of the bottle-throwing-cockjockey.

The rest of the show was absolutely amazing. When I heard Lateralus winding up, I pulled out my cell phone to get a vid (albeit only 15 seconds) of the first clash, but like the jackhole that I am, I closed my phone and didn’t save it (uughh!)….I guess I was just too excited about Lateralus.

My throat has been on fire all day from screaming so much last night. I’m pretty sure it’s due to the fact that I’m no longer a young 20 year old buck….no instead I’m a 31 year old old-man with one foot in the grave.

One last note to scribe which was the parking lot exit strategy: I got to my car to begin the most amazing hurry-up-and-wait experience known to human kind. I was parked in the dirt lot all the way on the far south side of the venue. The gate through which I entered was on the far west side of that lot, so naturally one would think that would be a gate through which one could exit… right? The answer, made obvious by my sarcastic tone, is a resounding no and here’s my theory as to why. I’m nearly certain that the piece of shit who threw the bottle at Maynard rushed out of the show and padlocked the gate shut just to further piss the rest of the show-goers off….grrr! Back to the lot exiting strategy: So I’m sitting in my car waiting in the exact same spot for 32 minutes when finally, movement, strangely enough however, it’s headed in the direction of the locked gate. I wasn’t really sure how or why, but I was elated at the fact that my tires had made a full 360 degree revolution and didn’t give a shit so I pushed in the direction of gate lock-ed-ness. After another 36 minutes I made it far enough that I had a vantage point to see what was happening. Someone had cut the wire on the exterior border of the lot and people were driving right over the hill and curb onto the road….and I’m talking about little pos hatchbacks and shit, very amusing stuff to say the least. So my turn finally comes to make this boldy aggressive move over the hill and wouldn’t you know it, two event staff chumps come and stop all forward progression. Here’s my theory as to why: They were alerted by the cocksmoking, bottle-throwing, padlock securing fawkhead just to piss off the rest of the show-goers. By this time I was at the end of my rope with patience though (which tends to happen when you’re a 31 year old geriatric person), and I elected to make this bold move even bolder by skirting right past the event chumps and busting right through.

All and all, a very eventful evening and a great time. Not the best show I’ve ever seen, but Jane’s Addiction in Las Vegas set the bar very high. I would go out on a limb and say that Tool is a better band and I enjoy their music more than JA, but JA really put on a great show.

Thanks Tool for coming, and please do return!

JambiJuice
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Not a bad show, but the bottle to the head brought the energy down like an unfed diabetic. This is the first time I had seen maynard minus the speedo/ body paint, and gay as it seems, even to me, i was disappointed. The opening song "The pot" showed Maynard giving his usual entertaining "dance moves" which ceased after contact with the bottle. I think the best part was when Maynard repeated the line "Fuck all you junkies, and fuck your short memories" three times instead of alternating, and I see that the reson behind that was lost on the dumb fucks in this thread. Think about the last line you J.O.'s "fuck your short memories" he repeated it because he was playing off of the lyrics. It was intentional. Show gets 5/10.

MikeBalzary
09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
My 3rd tool show. Great show. Didnt think maynard sounded that bad. I was pretty close and i could've sworn it was a glow stick that hit him. I could be wrong though. maybe just an illuminated bottle.

Why is everyone here so anti-mosh-pit? I didn't and don't partake but i do like to jump around like an idiot during shows. It's fun and it's a good release of energy. im assuming people in mosh pits do it for the same reasons. What's wrong with that? and i dont see how the mosh pit effects u if ur not in it.

begmetostay
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
I saw people moshing to wings. WINGS! People like me could see it and it detracts from the mood. What was the thinking?

Lets mosh to a generally slow song that is about maynards dead mom! PARTY ON DUDES!

JesusIsCuming
09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Burrito, great review. Sorry to hear about the whole trying to leave thing. I, on the other hand, had no problem leaving. See I didn't leave until about 1:45am due to the fact that I had to help tear down the show afterwards. But I can picture the look on the event staff guys faces as you roared past them! HAHAHA

Eisen Feuer
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Alright just to warn you, my post is going to be out of the norm.

call me a heretic- I could care less.

I got a couple really sweet pictures on my camera phone, email me at [email protected] if you want links to them- I've never seen anyone post pictures in these review threads so I'm sure there's a forum rule floating around there not allowing direct linking of pictures in posts.

*currently my phone is being retarded- if you email me it may take a while for me to get you the pictures.

Well first of all to Edgar (who flew to London just to see Tool) and Abe (was tripping just off the music) I give you guys 10 brownie points. I hope you're reading this.

Secondly to all Tool fans out there, I think it's hilarious when I hear most of you saying whoever threw the water bottle should burn in hell when many of you are responsible for dumping your crap all over the parking lot like animals. Way to make the world a better place... I'll get back to Maynard though.

I've been a Tool fan for about 3 years, enough of a Tool fan to literally get a runner's high type buzz after curling up and listening to 10,000 days all the way through for the first time. This was my very first Tool show, and my second big concert ever so please forgive my noobishness ;)

I was so happy waiting in line when I heard the 98.whatever phoenix rock radio announcer saying "We're here at the SOLD OUT Tool concert". That's when my blood started running. We got into the pit like 5 minutes before Isis started playing (early), and after one song we sat down to save our energy for Tool and the pit was only 1/4 full at that time (I regretted sitting down though- that second song they played, towards the end of it- was insane)

Anyway so Isis dropped the mic and we took our place about 2 people back from the railing. Tool was about 20 minutes late coming out and it was pure torture.

Me and my brother started the clap and chant that got pretty big but died out in a minute- the roadies weren't done doing sound-checks and stuff. Even though it was torture I had some good chats with the aforementioned Edgar dude and Abe, who told me the real scoop on CoacHELLa a little more in-depth than the reviews I read here. The roadies took the black cloth off of Danny's Magic Machine, and the crowd went nuts, although I'm sure it's nothing compared to the thunder at Coachella.

So we here some mad bass descend upon us like a THX ad, and the stage is completely lit by blacklights. All four members walked out at the same time and put on their weapons of choice with Maynard lagging behind a little. He took of his hat and ATF jacket and got up to the mic, and said

Maynard: "Hey it's my friend eddie's birthday today"
pit: all different variants of "yeah eddie!"
Maynard: "so on the count of three I want you all to say, 'Eddie, you're a fucking idiot' "
I assume you all can guess what happened.

Anyway Adam and Justin started winding up and when Stinkfist hit us, the screens behind Maynard and Danny lit up radioactive green, a pretty cool contrast change coming straight from all blacklights. I've seen much better performances of Stinkfist on the web, but Maynard's voice was lacking already.

So then the lights changed and the visuals changed to rippling blue smoke, Maynard sung the line "Who are you to wave your finger" and turned the mic to the audience (who wasn't ready) the band repeated for the hiccup, and they continued with "you musta been out your head"

somewhere in the middle of that was where Maynard got nailed in the head by someone in the back of the pit with (what looked like at the time) a gaffer's tape ball (anyone here who has worked on a stage before, knows what those are) but all I really know was that it was black and roundish from our angle. Maynard didn't seem to recoil that hard from it and it bounced off like a ball (which is why I thought it was a tape ball at that point). He slammed the mic stand on the ground and stomped off behind stage while the rest of the band completed the song without lyrics. Who knows- maybe Maynard needed a good smack to the head for karma even though it was definitely uncalled for.

Some idiots on our left and our right where moshing, so to protect my best friend (small 5'1" girl) me and my brother sandwiched her and moved to the back of the pit where it was safer. I swear- the moshers there only moshed just to do it, they didn't even have a correlation to the intensity of the music. They'd just back up to the wall take a huge drag off their friends joint and went back in to their animalistic games. tool is no doubt awesome, but go to a Slipknot concert you intoxicated imbeciles.

Anyway the band finished The Pot and Maynard came out midway into Forty Six & Two. I distinctly remember 46&2 being pretty much devoid of lyrics because my brother (who has really heard nothing of Tool) bent over and said "I bet this song is a lot better with lyrics."

After Maynard the song he said something to the fact of

"Thanks for the water bottle, that was great"
(crowd boos whoever threw the bottle)
"I took a little break there, that was nice"
"Someone needs to find a new way to express their fucking excitement."

Schism came, Not much to say about that besides the fact that Maynard was not performing 100%.

Rosetta Stoned came out of the buzz, I was so psyched, my favorite part of the song (8:38 on the album) and my favorite snippet of Tool ever that can put me in a coma was coming up, but it came, and went- Maynard could scream but there was no power behind his voice at all for the "overwhelmed as one would be..." I was so let down- I would have sold my soul to hear just that snippet done proper live.

Well, crushed as I was, Adam starting picking away at the silent part of Lateralus and I knew this would resurrect the performance. The song slammed down upon us like an airliner hit the crowd, which is where the show upgraded from just visuals on the various screens to smoke and lasers. It was almost as pleasing to see how the lasers landed on the pavilion steel structure behind/above us than watching the show in front of us.

Short of the long, Lateralus was the best hit of the night.

Next, surprisingly, came Vicarious, which rocked despite the lack of power behind the final line "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies...much better you than I." which Faltering (great review btw) missed as well :(

After that he talked about how whenever they stop through AZ they go through LA first

"I think I'm allergic to that city"

and went on to say he was sick. Why else in hell would you wear a black jacket on a hot stage in Phoenix anyway...

"I think I have a solution though- we all need to pray for an earthquake"

and with that, Ænima hit us. I'm not a fan, and I won't comment because I'm sure you all don't want to hear negativity.

I think it was after this we heard "Goodnight" and "I'm going to go and jack off to Comedy Central"

After this I don't recall much, we though it was over so the 3 of us went through with our plan and left the pit to beat the crowd. We hung around in the pathway between sections because getting out of the pit was half the victory. Before we knew it, we looked around and everyone had a lighter out. I took a picture of that too. Far more lighters where out then the Damion Marly/Ben Harper concert at Dodge Theatre that I went to, and even better then the pure volume of flames, the lighters outnumbered cell phones 10 to 1. So many where out that the roof of the pavilion was visibly lit up. There where SO MANY people there- I didn't even get to see how many people where up on the lawn. It was also the largest crowd feedback of the entire night- the place was one giant roar.

We hung out in the pathway, wondering if the show was over, and I really can't remember much up to the point that Wings for Marie started.

Personally that was a let down. There is no way Wings Part 1 and 2 could have been that bad Live. It had to be the fact that I was pampered by the audio quality in the pit. It had to be. The whole time I was listening I imagined myself back in my office with the same songs cranked on my surround sound system. Had I known those where the very last songs of the night and how bad they where, I would have left. We stuck around because I was hoping to God they'd play Right in Two. Missing Jambi (Dim my eyes!!!!) was a bummer being one of my top 5 favorite songs, but Right in Two would have totally turned that concert around.

I'll give Tool the benefit of the doubt and recognize that the songs probably rock live with the right seat and Maynard not being sick- but that won't prevent the fact that I would have rather gotten out of the parking lot sooner (we where lucky- it only took us about 15 minutes) than having to stay for the last songs. The standing ovation with the lighters would have been a much better ending for the night.

We where there long enough to see Danny throwing his sticks into the pit, frisbee'ing drum skins into the audience behind the pit, and Adam tossing normal clear water bottles into the back-left of the pit where the notorious throw originated from. (He should have chucked them instead of his lofty toss- that would have been far more hilarious)

Sorry to leave you on a negative tone, (refer back to Lateralus)

Oh well, definitely worth the 3 free pit tickets I got :P

fortysix_and_tool
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
"amazing, amazing...ly awesome."

hehe, I guess you disagree with my opinion of Isis. Honestly dude I just am not into needless screaming. Why scream then your message is a beautiful on in a certain song? Wouldn't a delicately held note communicate that better? I heard the lead, he actually has a pretty nice voice, he should use it more often. Don't be afraid to scream at all, never, just use it when the situation calls for it. I guess some disagree. The thing that really bothered me about them was the thrashing bs. I have just seen that so much and for to long. Kinda like rappers just love to grab their dicks and walk like guerillas. Shit is played, was played years ago. No need to fit a stereotype to communicate your music.

I'll probably get flamed for saying that stuff but you know deep down I'm right. As talent goes I think the drummer wasn't bad I would have liked to hear some solo work. I can't bash or love them when I have no way of knowing for sure.

No hard feelings yO!! I just really like ISIS and it sucked that I missed them due to the entrance lines. I do blame myself also tho, for wait longer than I should have but I was with friends and family. I will check them out whenever they get anywhere near AZ, thats for sure!

We all had a good time, most of us at least. I'm glad our Phx show wasnt canceled like the other Texas show or hear an almost instrumental only show @ like at The Woodlands in Texas also. So yeah, I feel very fortunate to have seen Tool once again!!

Thanks again Tool!! I hope to see you guys again soon!!

The Rak
09-13-2006, 11:10 PM
The word "professional" is hardly ever used anymore regarding performers, but Maynard and the rest of the band really assumed the title as they stepped up and ground out a very good show with a decent setlist Saturday night in Phoenix. I have nothing but the highest regard for these guys who, after what must have been an extended illness-caused delay, took the stage at 9:20 p.m. and immediately owned it.

Maynard was obviously ill from the get go, but the band was like a machine in the best possible sense of the word - nothing could knock it from its rails. Maynard loses his voice, sits out part of Stinkfist and Vicarious, takes one in the head, leaves and the band flies on. It was like watching ascended jazz masters like Don Cherry and Charlie Haden communicate telepahtically and keep the grooves going - that's musicianship, my friends. I have a new respect for the boys. My 9-almost 10-year old son did say, "I came to see some singing, not just playing, dad", but he was stunned by the Lateralus light show after the Return of Maynard, which he called the best o f the evening with its old school 1970s lasers and ratty hanging lights at the back of the stage that stuck me as a comment on the refined seamlessness of the LED curtain behind U2 on the Vertigo tour last year.

Other fans, parking, security - that's the rock music venue of the early 21st century, isn't it? You guys have not seen shitty ingress and egress until you have the ill fortune or bad judgment to go to the Jounal Pavillion in Albuquerque, as we in NM have to do for NIN or other shows. Sound at Cricket was great (unlike at the cow palace known as Tingley coliseum in ABQ for the Lateralus tour w/Meshuggah). I was in the grass with my boy, loving the moon over the venue, watching the various dramas around me, and enjoyed the hell out of myself. That intellectual metal guy with the Rasta hat and his cool ladyfriend in black who was pissed at missing Isis while standing in line were way cool, too. I missed Wings and 10,00 days at the end, but I had a tired kid and wanted to beat traffic. (Had it been Jambi, Right in Two and the second half of Intension I may have engaged in some on the spot bribery or intimidation, however.) Even on an off night, Tool are one of the great bands of our time and I was definately enriched by taking a boys-only road trip from Santa Fe for the show (SW airlines rules). Hopefully I won the Powerball tonight and can swing a few more shows this tour.

Glad to be on the forum finally.

The Rak
A Native American guy, but not the one backstage someone was axin' about

morgaine
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know what was going at the front of the aisle between sections 203 & 204 during Wings? I think a bunch of dumbfucks decided to rush the gate that only people in the "VIP" section could get through. I had my eyes closed and was zoning out to the music, when I heard a commotion and saw a big group of people shoving against a gate that a bunch of security people were pushing back on. Just wondering if anyone else saw this and knew wtf they were trying to do. They almost ruined Wings for me, the song I came to see, but I just shut my eyes and ignored all that b.s.

JesusIsCuming
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know what was going at the front of the aisle between sections 203 & 204 during Wings? I think a bunch of dumbfucks decided to rush the gate that only people in the "VIP" section could get through. I had my eyes closed and was zoning out to the music, when I heard a commotion and saw a big group of people shoving against a gate that a bunch of security people were pushing back on. Just wondering if anyone else saw this and knew wtf they were trying to do. They almost ruined Wings for me, the song I came to see, but I just shut my eyes and ignored all that b.s.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. DUMBFUCKS! They thought they could get through security.

dynohmike
09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
This was my third Tool show and regardless of the problems I honestly had one of the greatest spiritual experiences at a show since the last time I saw Bob Dylan. I know there were issues and we all expect a lot more out of Tool than other acts but considering the circumstances, we were lucky to get a show at all. I'm sure I've not felt as sick as Maynard and refused to go to my stupid fucking office job at a college enrolling students because I felt rotten. (I'm working on becoming a professional artist at the time... I guess I'll see what comes of it. I'm really at the end of my wits making some rich scumbag even richer.) I applaud Maynard for doing what he did, especially considering that worthless swine that decided to show some love by doing damage to him. The band was spot-on, as always, and seeing things the way we did was interesting to say the least. Who on earth can blame a person who is bearing their heart and soul to thousands of people for walking off for a moment when someone shows that much disrespect? And from the words of those close, Maynard was hurt pretty badly. Wings/10000 Days was especially moving and I barely said a word the rest of the night. My friends who were my ride dragged me to Mill Ave. for a beer and I think I said three words because I was perplexed that anyone would want to go to hang out in that kind of mediocrity after seeing a band inspiring us to not be a part of that low-life atmosphere. All in all, I'm still feeling the changes from that show and I thank Tool for not just being a band that plays good music, but also makes you consider your place in life. After seeing the encore I decided to get a bit closer to my own mother again and for that I'm forever thankful. I don't know if the guys read these, but if so, thanks for giving me a positive impact. I'm sure my mother would tell you the same if she could.

ArrogantBastard
09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
My 4th Tool show, I cant add much of anything after reading the other post. It seems we all have about the same opinion. I left wanting more and I was a little sad it came to an end. I always feel that way after a Tool show. I stood in the lawn section and noticed many people completely wasted. I thought " what a waste" These people wont even remember the show the next day. The full moon hanging over the pavillion added a great effect. I think Maynard must have had a hand in that. Lateralus kicked major ass and 10,000 days was a great way to end. Even tho I really wanted to hear Right in Two, maybe next time.
It wasnt the best Tool show, but I will take Tool over any other band any day of the week.

sunn
09-14-2006, 05:50 PM
KUPD said those responsibe for the water bottle incident were two teenagers who hopped the venue gates, ran to the lower section and fulfilled their duty as cocksuckers and threw the botte (although it looked like something else being i was front and center in the pit against the rail). Anyway I wanted to let you all know that these parasites were indeed arrested.

Dear Brena
09-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I had vip tix, went in the vip bar, vip parking and vip service, thanks cricket,
maynard you could sing nursery rhymes and i would not care...I love you.
my 11th show, old friends, good times, an the best show I've ever attended
thanks.
Dangeruss PHX AZ.

morgaine
09-14-2006, 08:37 PM
This was my third Tool show and regardless of the problems I honestly had one of the greatest spiritual experiences at a show since the last time I saw Bob Dylan. I know there were issues and we all expect a lot more out of Tool than other acts but considering the circumstances, we were lucky to get a show at all.

Wings/10000 Days was especially moving and I barely said a word the rest of the night.

All in all, I'm still feeling the changes from that show and I thank Tool for not just being a band that plays good music, but also makes you consider your place in life.

Wow, so many great points. It's refreshing to read a post like this where regardless of the problems you got so much out of the concert. I can't agree with your words more. This was my 4th Tool show, and 3rd this year. While some things detracted from Saturday's, they just didn't matter at all... I just left thinking about how much I love Tool. For me their music resonates with the deepest of life's emotions, from the darkest and most seething all the way to the transcendent and most beautiful, so I find their concerts to be an unexplainable and otherworldly experience. This show was no exception. The intensity of the sound, the visuals, seeing these men in person after only hearing them all these years, and Lateralus live--what could possibly compare to that? Plus I got to hear Wings, finally. That's my favorite song on 10,000 Days and their performance completely blew me away. That song was why I decided to go to this show at the last minute, even though I'd just seen them in Oakland (besides, who can see too many Tool concerts?). When I heard they'd started to play Wings and that they happened to be in Phoenix the same day I flew into AZ to visit family, I just had to go. I was lucky to get a good seat on the afternoon before the show through ticketmaster, so perhaps that great evening was meant to be. Anyways, like you, I didn't have much of anything to say and was in a completely different emotional space that I can't really explain when the show was over. In fact, it's still hanging with me. Wings is so intense and personal that I don't know how Maynard can play it publicly. Especially on Saturday after being beaned in the head by a complete asshole and being sick. That song has also had a strong impact on my relationship with my mom, as well inspired thoughts about life in general and what we do with the time we have here. I too wish I could somehow express my gratitude to the guys for what they've brought to my life. But thanks for the post, glad you enjoyed the concert. I hope they tour more next year.

morgaine
09-14-2006, 08:41 PM
You hit the nail on the head my friend. DUMBFUCKS! They thought they could get through security.

That's what I figured, and yup, there's no word to better describe them. WTF were they thinking?? And acting like that during a song like Wings... dumbfucks.

toolpusher
09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
HEADLINE: Phx, AZ - Cowboy Keenan herds his cattle and feeds them feces.

Kids, don't be fooled. This was not a good show. Maynard sabotaged an otherwise beautiful evening in the Valley of the Sun. It started out bad, became uncomfortable and later, downright embarrassing.

MJK threw his mic down during The Pot, 2nd song after Stinkfist. He then ran off in a hissy. Apparently, someone threw a water bottle on stage. That's right, someone maybe less neurotic than the singer, in an excited moment, lost the leash on his pesonal hydration device!

Maynard proceeded to dish out his punishment for this innocuous act throughout the rest of the short show. It appears that the boys cut a few songs compared to some of the other set lists I've seen. The singer decided to stop attempting to entertainment us during the next song, Forty-Six & 2. He just stood there - quiet. It was the best song of the night! The crew was dead-on and rocked the house.

After angrily flipping off the crowd, Maynard gave it another shot. He missed the target completely. He was simply going through the motions. He left out many lines and his range was lackluster. I think he forgot his own lyrics during one number. Other posts were accurate. He sang the 'Tattoo' line three times in Ænima. He also decided to skip the climactic last few lines of Vicarious. Yes, you heard correctly. It was quite pathetic.

The rest of the guys had their moments, tight and cohesive at times. But the acoustics were muffled, particularly with the vocals. Their last two tours sounded crisp with very few mistakes in my opinion. Maynard definitely detracted from the obvious brilliance of the real performers here.

They did not play Sober or Right in Two. The latter would have been great without the 'monkey' vocals. The set looked like a bad Vegas show, with the requisite Rock-n-Roll smoke 'n mirrors, spinning lights, and pretty lasers. Large screens cycled vintage trippy videos, a la Adam.

In the end, The Prima Donna offered to butcher one more song 'if we were good'. He earlier offered up an excuse to cover his flaming narcicism. 'I got sick in LA', he said, 'so I need to take some Sudafed'. Thanks for the info there, egoboy. Your blatant aggression and disrespect for the people who pay your bills sends a message that's loud and clear. You crave alienation. Sheriff Joe ought to slap Keenan's white cowboy hat crowned piehole holder on a piece of parchment with bold caption: WANTED: For (1) ROBBING thousands of a day's wages and (2) KILLING the sprit of Rock-n-Roll !

Take heed. Art is subjective and some people are masochists.

Shameful.

Faltering
09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
I think you'll find those were drum skins, mate. They don't just dish out their top secret hover frisbees to anyone, you know...

Hahahah, yeah, this was brought to my attention, but thanks for letting me know.

And yeah, I should hope that their top secret hover frisbees are saved for the most special of occassions. o_o;

Faltering
09-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Next, surprisingly, came Vicarious, which rocked despite the lack of power behind the final line "Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies...much better you than I." which Faltering (great review btw) missed as well :(

Oh, and how I missed it. =(

Great review yourself. =)

Eisen Feuer
09-17-2006, 09:49 AM
man everybody was excited because they played 10,000 days for the first time in L.A.- when really the first guys to hear Right in Two will be the luckiest.

I just put the song on- those first few notes send chills up my spine...

anyway guys on Monday I'm going to go load up my checking account and go to the cell phone place and figure out how bad Verizon screwed me over with my camera phone, all you people that emailed me- you'll get them soon enough whether I have to pay through my nose or hack my cell phone.

all you peeps that wanted the pics-

http://www.eisenfeuer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

chawknz
09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
This was my first Tool concert and while I was slightly disappointed with all the issues that night, I had an amazing time. Despite the lacking vocals from Maynard, the music coming from the stage was entrancing.

To finally witness Danny live was a thrill in itself. Having been a drummer myself, I am a sucker for a drumming virtuoso such as him. While some people may hate drum solos, I would have killed to see him do one.

Thanks for the great show Tool and I really hope we can see you back soon in full health!