PDA

View Full Version : What's with the bird??

lizbiz
07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
The black birds appears in all the band photos except Maynards and even gets it's own page in the booklet. It's also the main feature on Maynards Vineyard intro.

I'm not gonna pretend to be a bird expert, it think it's a raven??

Anyway, what's the significance or meaning?

MoreTool
07-20-2006, 01:21 PM
there's an Artwork thread for that

NoD
07-20-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm not gonna pretend to be a bird expert, it think it's a raven???

I agree.....not that it's a raven, but that you're no bird expert

savelints8
07-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Black symbolizes death, I think. But I'm not a black expert.

implandnoises
07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
The black birds appears in all the band photos except Maynards and even gets it's own page in the booklet. It's also the main feature on Maynards Vineyard intro.

where is the bird in danny's photo? and i don't think it takes a bird expert to see that the bird in adam's photo is a different kind of bird than that in justin's.

Æsahættr
07-20-2006, 10:27 PM
I, uh, don't really think I care/know.

Hannibal
07-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Maybe Maynard got his wings finally.

s ti N Kfizt
07-21-2006, 03:59 PM
death symbolizes something, but i AIN'T THE PROFESSOR, so.....

*cries*

scarygarrey
07-22-2006, 02:00 PM
haha..

Ardhanarishvara
08-29-2006, 02:19 AM
that is no raven, ravens look like big crows.

10000 days is a thelemic ritual. Right after the photo shoot (which is done to capture and preserve the bird's soul), the bird's wings will be torn off and stitched onto marie's back>>>wings for marie!!!!!

it was right in front of us the whole time!!!

SpiralExit
08-30-2006, 12:35 PM
a crow would be much better..

Nietzsche's Dead
09-02-2006, 05:55 PM

..... :D

wearethestories
09-02-2006, 07:33 PM
watch "Brewster McCloud" and then talk to me about birds...

TEST
10-19-2006, 01:06 PM
watch "Brewster McCloud" and then talk to me about birds...

"Brewster McCloud" ROCKED!!!
I shit my pants in the end-the way that kid died?...Genius:D

44&4
10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
The bird that looks like a crow/raven, but ain't, is a magpie! Harbinger of good luck in native american folklore. the white markings are a dead giveaway. Don't know of any further relevance, but the cartoon birds 'Heckyl and Jeckyl" were supposedly magpies as well, but curiously devoid of white markings.
If someone posted about this before, sorry!

One more thing, magpies can be taught to talk, like a cockatoo or parrot.

SilverGrudge
10-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Anyone think the whole eagle shit is cause of Carlos Castaneda's book The Eagle's Gift? I finished reading the book a few weeks before the release of the cd, and when i first saw the artwork i thought of Carlos' description of the eagle. Just a suggestion. And if you don't know who Carlos Castaneda please help yourself out and read some of his books. Very very very worth-while reads....BYEKIDS

CrownOfNegativity
11-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Black bird - > Crow - > "The Birds" - > Alfred Hitchcock - > Double chin - > Chino Moreno - > Deftones - > Passenger - > MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN.

The bird symbolizes Maynard's wish to "fly home" WITH HIS WINGS. HE WNATS TO BE A BYRD.

thank me now or later? i have broken the puzzle.

IC
11-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Black bird - > Crow - > "The Birds" - > Alfred Hitchcock - > Double chin - > Chino Moreno - > Deftones - > Passenger - > MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN.

The bird symbolizes Maynard's wish to "fly home" WITH HIS WINGS. HE WNATS TO BE A BYRD.

thank me now or later? i have broken the puzzle.

close.

it goes like this -
Black Bird - "THE" Crow - dead souls - trent reznor - tapeworm - danny lohner - a perfect circle - paz - zwan - billy corgan - smashing pumpkins - jimmy chamberlin- influenced solo record off of - billy cobham - volto - danny carey - MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN.

CrownOfNegativity
11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
close.

it goes like this -
Black Bird - "THE" Crow - dead souls - trent reznor - tapeworm - danny lohner - a perfect circle - paz - zwan - billy corgan - smashing pumpkins - jimmy chamberlin- influenced solo record off of - billy cobham - volto - danny carey - MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN.

ah man!

Laugh
11-26-2006, 10:35 AM
In the Thelemic system, of which Tool uses imagery from heavily, the Bird or Hawk is representative of the God of this Aeon. Horus, the Lord initiating.

epistomai
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Anyone think the whole eagle shit is cause of Carlos Castaneda's book The Eagle's Gift? I finished reading the book a few weeks before the release of the cd, and when i first saw the artwork i thought of Carlos' description of the eagle. Just a suggestion. And if you don't know who Carlos Castaneda please help yourself out and read some of his books. Very very very worth-while reads....BYEKIDS

thought Carlos Castaņeda only wrote in spanish...

SilverGrudge
12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
thought Carlos Castaņeda only wrote in spanish...

Actually Carlos Castaneda never wrote any one of his books in spanish. A majority of them were eventually translated into spanish and other languages. His very first book was actually suppose to be his thesis while still attening UCLA.

O.G.T.92
01-06-2007, 08:13 PM
you guys posting negative comments and sarcasm are all dicks, the guy is simply trying to get an intelligent conversation about the symbolism of the birds. If you guys are too cool for the room go to perez hilton .com and download a picture of britney spears' pussy.

Gently
01-20-2007, 12:46 PM
...maybe i am being too analytical, but...

the Black Crow sometimes also the Raven is the beginning of the great work of soul alchemy.
This indicates the initial stages of the alchemist's encounter with his inner space, through withdrawing from the outer world of the senses in meditation, and entering what is initially the dark inner world of the soul.
Thus this stage is also described in alchemical texts as the blackening, the nigredo experience, and it is often pictured as a death process, as in the caput mortuum, the deaths head, or as some alchemical illustrations show, the alchemist dying within a flask.

Thus in the symbol of the Black Crow we have the stepping out in consciousness from the world of the physical senses the restrictions that bind us to the physical body.

.......makes sense to me, how TOOL emphasizes stepping out of your body and feeling with your mind, so to speak...

iAMtheMA!
01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
witness: tool^

nighthawk
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
you guys posting negative comments and sarcasm are all dicks, the guy is simply trying to get an intelligent conversation about the symbolism of the birds. If you guys are too cool for the room go to perez hilton .com and download a picture of britney spears' pussy.
ohh i will, but why does the bird has to mean something? it only appears twice in the album and well maybe ravens are too cool, there are books and movies about them... why not to include them in an album?

]v[edusa
01-27-2007, 09:35 PM
...maybe i am being too analytical, but...

the Black Crow sometimes also the Raven is the beginning of the great work of soul alchemy.
This indicates the initial stages of the alchemist's encounter with his inner space, through withdrawing from the outer world of the senses in meditation, and entering what is initially the dark inner world of the soul.
Thus this stage is also described in alchemical texts as the blackening, the nigredo experience, and it is often pictured as a death process, as in the caput mortuum, the deaths head, or as some alchemical illustrations show, the alchemist dying within a flask.

Thus in the symbol of the Black Crow we have the stepping out in consciousness from the world of the physical senses the restrictions that bind us to the physical body.

.......makes sense to me, how TOOL emphasizes stepping out of your body and feeling with your mind, so to speak...

thank you. it makes sense. u are really getting me interested in reading more on alchemy. would you please message me on the alchemy books that you read?

njm
02-04-2007, 12:37 AM
So, no one will read this, but Justin was interviewed on triple j radio not long ago. He said that the bird is an Australian wedge tailed eagle. The predator is something that Justin apparently relates to.
so there you go....

Not esoteric enough, I know :P