PDA

View Full Version : a prophecy of New York?

evilentity
11-24-2002, 09:43 PM
I've got a bootleg of a live concert done in Houston in 1996? or something like that where New York becomes the subject of the song. Maynard changed the lyrics to:

"I sure could use a vacation from this
Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks
Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call NEW YORK.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in PENNSYLVANIA bay."

I got my hands on this performance about a month before Sept. 11. It was really eerie when I played it after hearing the news that day. Like an unintentional vision. The attack was such that it was almost as if the towers just sunk into the Atlantic.

This especially affected me since I had tickets to the Sept. 11 concert they were supposed to do at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids. The show was off (which made me pissed at Osama and made me want to kill his a**) but fortunately was rescheduled for two days later. The show was fantastic, and even more meaningful in light of recent events. They had been including Aenema in their setlist consistently on that tour prior to the attacks. As I predicted, they changed their setlist and dropped Aenema. I think their own song hit a little too close to home for the band.

Floydboy
11-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Ahhh so what my friend told me was true ... but he went to both the New York and Houston concerts (seeming he goes to school in Houston ... makes sense ....). I'll be sure to ask him where he heard the lyrics changed. It's interesting that Maynard would contrast New York and LA, at least for one concert.

hyeboy
11-26-2002, 07:04 PM
Yes, I have the N.Y. version, too. Threw me off when he said this song is about New York, but it made sense. Even though he refers to L.A. specifically on the original, I never looked at the song as a whole being confined to just one city because how many towns are left in this country that these lyrics don't apply too? I live in a stuck-up suburb of Chicago, and every single line could apply here, ESPECIALLY THE LATTE (lol)! Yuppies, rich white kids that talk like gangsters, 40 year old mothers married to rich executive types, trying to see how many 25 year olds they can pick up, we've got it all. It may as well be dedicated to America, not just L.A. and I think that'a what Maynard was implying with the change in lyrics.

hateandvaseline
11-29-2002, 06:57 AM
Third Leg bootleg?
I have it.
Recorded in Houston on 12/12/96.
You guys should check out Aenima>H>Maynard's Commentary Off Of A Bootleg.

As for the prophecy, it's probably just a coincidence. I'm not sayin Maynard doesn't posess amazing psychic powers ;-)

Yama
12-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Sort of like the name The Two Towers. J.R.R. Tolkien had no idea what was going to happen, despite what crackpots say.

But that crackpot stuff belongs in the Faaip de Oiad forum.