PDA

View Full Version : The drums played finally the right way!

joblobob
07-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Ok, as promised I'll try to explain how to play the polyrythms of Rosetta Stoned.

In this clip, you'll hear me play for 3 seconds with only 1 hand to show you how Danny plays on his mandala drums.

Then I start doing 4 of the 5 rythms he plays (the fifth one will be added shortly, I can't find a good way to record it with my set-up)

the bass drum in 3
the high-hat in 4
the snare in 5
and the toms in 6

the fifth beat is done by moving through 3 toms in this pattern: 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - ...
Also incorporating a flam on the first beat.

So there it is:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1A266B8741FEE6D4

I know it sound choppy, but I use a shit mic and a bad-ass giant drum, so the mic is overwhelmed as one would be....

I'll have a clearer clip soon with the fifth beat incoporated.

Does this clears your mind a bit or does it confuses you even more?

CaseLogic
07-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I'll take a listen when I get home. I'm assuming we're talking about the drum and bass breakdown in the middle?

Also, if I remember that section right, I have no idea where you got those time signatures for the different sections of the drum part

joblobob
07-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Danny said himself in an article that this rythm is done by playing 5 on the snare, 6 on the toms and 4 on the high-hat.

This is called a polyrythm if your not informed...

Aunt Acid
07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Excellent coordination, I bet you're a monster in bed.

joblobob
07-17-2006, 03:01 PM
:P thx but

"There's a video of a kid doing this on youtube, search rosetta stoned in youtube and you'll find it."

I began learning this rythm because I saw this guy doing it all wrong, and even trying to "explain" how it's made, when it's really not like he does it at all...

Maybe you'll understand better tomorrow, when I record the whole beat together...

eonblue462
07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Allright! Thats definatly closer to it! I can't wait to hear it with the 5th beat added. Those flams really juice it up aswell, without those you just know somethings missing! I want to hear it with the 5th beat!!
That kid with the paradiddles on youtube is definatly wrong!
UPLOAD THE FIFTH BEAT....please!
Kudos on the Krazy Ko-ordination though! (Im not quite sure what that means!)

joblobob
07-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Thx!

And because of your crazy impatience (which I love ;) ) I'll edit my post tomorrow morning with the 5th beat / flams added.

I just hope though that people will now make the difference between musicianship and showmanship....(which I hate...)

joblobob
07-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Seems Like I can't edit my first post :'(

But nonetheless, I got the full beat on mp3 today :D

http://joblo3.homestead.com/files/Synapsis_-_Stoned3.mp3

If you have difficulties hearing well, I re-uploaded my first beat.

http://joblo3.homestead.com/files/Stoned1.mp3

Anyone knows a place where I can put this so people would look at it??

MarcDrums
07-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Seems Like I can't edit my first post :'(

But nonetheless, I got the full beat on mp3 today :D

http://joblo3.homestead.com/files/Synapsis_-_Stoned3.mp3

If you have difficulties hearing well, I re-uploaded my first beat.

http://joblo3.homestead.com/files/Stoned1.mp3

its almost the same thing he does on the toms in third eye i think

joblobob
07-28-2006, 04:15 AM
It fact it may sound similar but the drums in Third Eye are not based on the same basis.

Some part of Triad shares some similarities with this rythm.

eonblue462
08-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Nice..Nice! what did you use instead of the mandalas? They sound wierd, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh and you could put it up in the music section if you wanted more people to listen to it. It's kinda frustratin to spend ages workin on something and then just have two loosers hear it!!!
Well done man.

lachrymolog
08-05-2006, 08:53 AM
*Props*!!

MarcDrums
08-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Nice..Nice! what did you use instead of the mandalas? They sound wierd, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh and you could put it up in the music section if you wanted more people to listen to it. It's kinda frustratin to spend ages workin on something and then just have two loosers hear it!!!
Well done man.
sounds really cool.. like a really high tuned 8 inch tom or something

driverfred
08-10-2006, 07:44 AM
any chance of a tab?? im probably wrong but isnt that just the left foot and hands (hi-hat, snare and toms/mandala)in 3/4 and the right foot (bass drum) in 5/4??

mike09
08-10-2006, 12:07 PM
very nice job!

joblobob
08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, the high pitched tom is a 6 inch bongo, I really like the sound of it, though it really contrasts with my low pitched tom...

And for the tabs, here's a written explenation of what to do, but without all the fiddling Danny adds to this song, making the 3/4 of the hands more like 6/4.

http://joblo3.homestead.com/files/Stonedsheet.GIF

Disco_Stu
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Which part of the song are you talking about. I would love to hear to polyrythym, but i cant download any videos or even less listen to them of the shitty comp I have

driverfred
08-11-2006, 12:36 AM
thats great! thanks...

joblobob
08-11-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm talking about the after-climax part of the song, after 8:40...

HelenA
08-12-2006, 04:40 AM
I'm talking about the after-climax part of the song, after 8:40...

WOW - this is SO cool! I cannot wait to show my drummer boy when he wakes up in the morning! Could you POSSIBLY do the same thing for "Right in Two"? No hurry.... Just when you are ready ...lol.

Metalgod666
08-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Is this the video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unh7eDIiJYE

joblobob
08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
yeah, this is the video that got me frustrated and forced me to learn this part :P

And for right in two...you want the main chorus part? it won't be that hard :P

imatoolhed
08-13-2006, 08:29 AM
very kewl... i'd like to hear a better recording tho

but one has to work with what they got

imatoolhed
08-13-2006, 08:31 AM

socialize

Peaceful Moments
11-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, the high pitched tom is a 6 inch bongo, I really like the sound of it, though it really contrasts with my low pitched tom...

And for the tabs, here's a written explenation of what to do, but without all the fiddling Danny adds to this song, making the 3/4 of the hands more like 6/4.

http://joblo3.homestead.com/files/Stonedsheet.GIF

Doesn't he do more with his left hand?

thearm
08-30-2007, 06:23 AM

Are you guys talking about the drum pattern that starts at 6:00? If you are, I noticed Danny hits the snare with his left hand every time and it looks like his right hand is doing double strokes. I can play the whole song lick for lick but that part(and the end when the pattern comes back).

I'm going to look at this thread when I get home and listen to some of the sound clips. My work blocks those web sites.

thearm
08-30-2007, 06:25 AM
And yes, that kid in the Youtube video is wrong but I like watching him play it! There is another guy on Youtube playing it and it looks more correct;but, the sound sync is way off and crappy.

EDIT: Ok I read more of the post. After the climax part I think he's doing the same pattern as he is at 6:00. I'm not sure though. I listened to that audio clip above (via a proxy server) and it sounds pretty good. Better than I can do at the moment.

thearm
08-30-2007, 06:36 AM
lol Wow this thread is old... lol I'm still looking for how Danny Carey plays that pattern at 6:00.

Inner_Eulogy
08-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Excellent coordination, I bet you're a monster in bed.

What in the fuck does that have to do with playing drums. I'll bet you were a prostitute yesterday, or possibly even tomorrow.

joblobob
09-04-2007, 04:21 AM

Yeah, he's doing flams on the fist "Bongo" beat. When the pitch is the highest.

I have recorded a video of me doing it, and then I won't be able to show you more, you just have to learn it by yourself by then.

miketh74
09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Yeah, he's doing flams on the fist "Bongo" beat. When the pitch is the highest.

I have recorded a video of me doing it, and then I won't be able to show you more, you just have to learn it by yourself by then.

From one drummer from another mother......sounds good dude!!

Tool_Is_Sick
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
What in the fuck does that have to do with playing drums. I'll bet you were a prostitute yesterday, or possibly even tomorrow.

yeah seriously. why would you even put yourself out there like that?

joblobob
02-01-2008, 06:37 AM
http://drumpag.blogspot.com/search/label/Polyrhythm%20Lesson%20%233

Here, I got it, I'm finally playing it right for all the wolrd to seeeeeeee.

If you have any questions or comment, please do not hesitate to leave it on the blog!

eonblue462
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Nice! Lovely stuff. Sure beats my pots and pans version!

joblobob
06-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks!

As I have you moved into a new home, I have now a real place for my drum kit, so if anyone has something that we wishes to see, make your proposals here!