PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam War

Harve
04-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Vietnam

When someone would die in the Vietnam War they would call it a `No Quarter'. I am not for sure why it is called that, but I can guarantee you that I will have more to post soon if I can get anyone interested in this theory. This notion alone will get you thinking about the song from a new and beautiful perception. I'm surprised I did not see this on the board. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere. My first interpretation of the song was and is still a general interpretation, but I didn't see it posted her either. Someone standing in the cold without a quarter for a pay phone, but since they were covering a Zeppelin song from the 70's then I would assume it could have cost less for a phone call. Does anyone know what the price of a local phone call was in the 70's? Led Zeppelin is out of the U.K. so please answer my question for both the American price and the U.K price estimate of what a call was then.
This interpretation to me makes perfect sense because the song was made around the time of the Vietnam War (I’m not for sure what time). I think one of the many reasons Tool would has covered it was because it could have been a personal favorite; it’s a very perceptive song (not to mention beautiful), and if you’ve lost a loved one in the Vietnam War it could become of use in Tool’s questionable psycho-therapy of lachrymalogy.

Thank you,
Harve

Harve
04-26-2003, 09:22 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=no+quarter+vietnam

josh
04-29-2003, 03:43 AM
What lead you to the phone box interpretation of No Quarter?

Oh by the way, have you read the condensed version of my interpretation of No Quarter? I would personally recommend it.

I'm doing an english assignment on it at the moment, so look forward to a full rundown of the song and links to Lord of the Rings soon!

eek
04-30-2003, 04:22 AM
I'm certain that quarter doesn't refer to the coin or a phone call.

I've always thought 'quarter' to refer to shelter. 'They have No Quarter' / 'We ask No Quarter' - they don't ask any favours or mercy - they walk the hard road.

See these definitions of 'quarter' (dictionary.com):

19. quarters A place of residence, especially the buildings or barracks used to house military personnel or their dependents.

23. Mercy or clemency, especially when displayed or given to an enemy.

I'm certainly interested in the idea that it's related to the Vietnam War.

stillclover
05-01-2003, 08:42 AM
i had always been under the impression that no quarter was an expression used in time of war/battle meaning no mercy.

lateralust
08-01-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry, but i just about feel on the floor laughing when I read the "no quarter for a phone call" theory.