PDA

View Full Version : why "Jambi"?

thealtered
07-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I believe the "Intentional Ambiguity" thread by ArizonaBay is dead on in it's interpretation of the song. But how could the title possibly help embody the meaning of this song? I don't think it does. I'll go one step further and give you a couple of theories regarding the title's origin:

1. It originated as a nickname. Someone in the band's circle thought Maynard was singing "Jambi eyes", they saw the real lyrics, had a good laugh, and the band eventually decided to let the joke live on.

2. What were the band's songs named before MJK wrote lyrics for them? I doubt they were called demo1, demo2, etc... The original name, in this case, was the one that stuck for one reason or another. Hey, it's funny...

I personally like my 2nd theory better because the first theory begs the question: "Why would they think of the genie from Pee-Wee's Playhouse even if they thought they heard jam-bye eyes?". But people's minds make strange connections, especially when under an altered state. Either way, I don't believe there's any profound significance in the title. A phonetic connection at best.

Terry21
07-15-2006, 06:52 AM
No one knows.

LetGoLetgoLetGo
07-15-2006, 11:14 AM
And the genie from PW's Playhouse isnt JAM-BYE, he is JOM-BEE.

So, uhh......Yeah.

Terry21
07-15-2006, 01:35 PM
And the song is JOM-BEE too, Maynard said it on stage: This is JOM-BEE.