PDA

View Full Version : How do you get someone to like this song?

ladycommish
07-14-2006, 11:37 PM
My friend absolutely loves RS...and skips over Intension. How do I help him find the way?

henri_ds
07-15-2006, 03:13 AM
I don't know..AFAI'mC I like it because it is very mellow, and a perfect "rest" after Rosetta Stoned.

mr. nikki jensen
07-15-2006, 07:06 AM
chinese watertorture until he likes it....

Happyfunball
07-15-2006, 01:20 PM
As trite as it may sound, you can't "help" anyone like anything. They either do or they don't. You can, if they are (or you are) stubborn about it, convince them to never give something a chance at all until they no longer feel pressured into doing so.

If they don't offer any sort of logical explaination for disliking the song, the best you can do is "help" them to understand that they should at least have one before discarding it. That holds true for all things really. But if they say they don't like the tempo, don't like the progression, don't like the melody, whatever the case may be that suggests they've given it some consideration already; those are pretty tangible things as far as music goes. I'd simply let it go at that point.

ladycommish
07-16-2006, 02:28 AM
As trite as it may sound, you can't "help" anyone like anything. They either do or they don't. You can, if they are (or you are) stubborn about it, convince them to never give something a chance at all until they no longer feel pressured into doing so.

If they don't offer any sort of logical explaination for disliking the song, the best you can do is "help" them to understand that they should at least have one before discarding it. That holds true for all things really. But if they say they don't like the tempo, don't like the progression, don't like the melody, whatever the case may be that suggests they've given it some consideration already; those are pretty tangible things as far as music goes. I'd simply let it go at that point.

True, but maybe something I can point out to him that he may find interesting. Not that I care that much if he likes it or not, it's just that I think the whole album should be listened to as an album. Then again, when they play live, they don't play entire albums...the only bands I've seen do that are Queensryche and Rush.

Radius
07-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Play it for your friend late at night, when it's getting close to going to sleep. Preferably in a darkened room, perhaps when the moon is shining. Mention something about Ancient Bonfires. ALSO, when you play it, do it WITHOUT the rest of the album. Just let them hear it in it's OWN context, then they will be able to let it hit their mind in a way that it wouldn't normally after their intense rocking out to Rosetta Stoned.Tell them it's a song to feel and not to think about.

Whatever, I'd give it a try.

EGG-MAN
07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
play with his balls while the song is playing...

Matt8
07-17-2006, 11:00 AM
let him skip it. when the other songs on the cd start to get boring he'll probably give this one a chance thinking "its newer to me than the other ones" so then he will discover its awesomeness. or if he just wants to not like it thats cool too. i love it so im happy.

Aunt Acid
07-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Get some Coricidin with the purple box. It can ONLY be the purple box. Give your friend the 16 pills within. You can either:

A). Listen to it while Robotripping
B). Listen to it on the DXMHangover

I didn't like it until I listened to it under the conditions of B. I have never listened to it under A, but I bet it's really fucking good. But B is foolproof Goddamn it. FOOL PROOF.

Nietzsche's Dead
07-17-2006, 03:44 PM

XD

sure-fire method..

jack_without_sally
07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
chinese watertorture until he likes it....
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parables in the world
07-19-2006, 04:37 PM
well, you can't really do nothing but i would suggest sometime give him a cd player, real good headphones, and the put on the whole cd. Have him use the bathroom and other stuff that won't interrupt him/her. Then have him sit and LISTEN to the album beginning to end. After this experience ask him what he thought of the cd as in what he got from the album and what he saw while listening. If he can come up with a good explaination of wheter or not he likes the song, then it worked, people are different but you have to learn to understand this.
But for me i like intension because it's simple and moves me, especially the drums, and the bass. What i'd tell your friend is "your missing out my friend. On some well written music."

Shaz
07-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Good timing,
actually laughed at something on a thread.

peace

æmoeba•°·.
07-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Let him in on the influencial side effect it gives off. You might have to research that for yourself, to compare to your friend, but, he should completely understand the album is a story, and skipping that song, which is a very important follow up, is ruining the experience of the great album, that is 10,000 Days. (That may sound cliché to you, but, it's all true, from my perspective. I had small time to actually ponder, so that is a briefing of what I had to offer as advise.)

Take care.

-Andrew

Starscream1983
09-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Call your friend a stranger and hit him with a rock. J/K.... I dont see how one couldnt like this song. But some people get bored with slower music like this. they need things like rosetta stoned to keep them interested. I know a few people that refuse to listen to music that isnt heavy, fast, and aggressive for that very reason. I use to be that way. I have found the beauty in all forms of melody since then.

iAMtheMA!
09-21-2006, 09:49 PM

hahaha, i love your eggs!

Arkham Asylum
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Play it for your friend late at night, when it's getting close to going to sleep. Preferably in a darkened room, perhaps when the moon is shining. Mention something about Ancient Bonfires. ALSO, when you play it, do it WITHOUT the rest of the album. Just let them hear it in it's OWN context, then they will be able to let it hit their mind in a way that it wouldn't normally after their intense rocking out to Rosetta Stoned.Tell them it's a song to feel and not to think about.

Whatever, I'd give it a try.

He's completely right. This song grew on me once I started listening to it WITHOUT having listened to Rosetta Stoned just prior. The song will then hit you or your friend or whoever's listening.

nathan
09-30-2006, 09:47 PM
I think trying to convince someone to like this song more than rosetta or right in two, is like asking people to just enjoy the intermission instead of a main act. it's like comparing apples and black people.

andro
10-03-2006, 11:58 AM
casually mention some of the themes in the song.

"is today's world really that much different from the ancient world?"

"are humans inherently at war with 'strangers'?"

.. or any other theme you can pull from the song. There are some very thought-provoking questions lurking beneath the surface of this song. Invite your friend to think for him/herself and engage in a conversation about the theme, without mentioning the song.

at some point during the discussion, mention that intension was the catalyst for your thinking.

the most accessible avenue for appreciating this song is through the lyrics. they are some of maynard's best, imo.

lessthanmurf
02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
play the song by itself to him without the rest of the album. if he doesnt get it then, there is no hope for him.

wearethestories
02-17-2007, 08:38 PM
play the song by itself to him without the rest of the album. if he doesnt get it then, there is no hope for him.

wait... without the rest of the album?

"Intension" is so mired in what the entire album is about that if his friend had any love at all for "Right In Two" and the thematic elements of loss and hopelessness in the whole album, then playing it without the rest of the songs seems both fruitless and pointless.

Opiate Son
03-30-2007, 01:24 PM

LMFAO!!!!!!

Seriously, let him discover it in his own time, he'll find it if and when he's ready. Although the balls thing may work as well....STILL LMFAO!!!!!

Esurient4Truth
03-30-2007, 01:29 PM
The guitar work on intension is awesome.
o-m-g > that kind of awesome

screw it, all songs have incredible, if not over exceptional, damn near perfect guitar...

but softly, intension holds a special place in my hearts

Opiate Son
03-30-2007, 01:31 PM
The guitar work on intension is awesome.
o-m-g > that kind of awesome

screw it, all songs have incredible, if not over exceptional, damn near perfect guitar...

but softly, intension holds a special place in my hearts

Quoted for truth!

hobblegobble
03-30-2007, 03:42 PM
My friend absolutely loves RS...and skips over Intension. How do I help him find the way?

This...."way"...you speak of...what exactly is it you mean?

jevons
04-06-2007, 09:00 AM

Kill him!

i really got to feel the importance of the song when it was on in an ambient sort of setting, where i wasn't necessarily paying attention to every single note and signature.
Perhaps that will give you the courage to kill your ignorant friend.

thezeusanator
04-07-2007, 02:33 PM

convince him that tool has placed a secret message in it, and until he figures it out he'll never understand the rest of the album, eventually he listen to it so much looking for the message it will be his favorate song, he WILL find some sort of message in it, don't tell him you made it up, or he will revert back to his hate mode again.

TurdEye13
06-11-2007, 06:24 AM
I guess its just an aquired thing