PDA

View Full Version : I am offended by this song...

and no eggs
07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
As a law student, I work very hard, and take ethics very seriously just to have MJK call me a liar. I don't appreciate, and I don't appreciate the preachy attitude that Rev. Maynard has taken on the past few albums. Just give me the music thanks, and keep all your biased perspectives to yourself.

Maynard is the only hypocrite for telling people to be positive in concerts and shoving this crap down people's throats. No thanks, I'd rather listen to something I can take seriously.

kether4602
07-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Art is expression. If you cant handle someone else expressing how they feel about something, dont listen to it. It's actually quite simple. Much like turning off your TV.

mindstream
07-14-2006, 02:49 PM
CASE (and thread) CLOSED.

walkerw8
07-14-2006, 03:34 PM
As a law student, I work very hard, and take ethics very seriously just to have MJK call me a liar.

Ha Ha. That's kind of funny. I don't think MJK is calling YOU a liar. I doubt he even knows who you are! Don't take it personal.

A Spirit of Radio
07-14-2006, 03:38 PM
well that's what most people think about lawyers-so deal with it. if you still want to be one-do it but know that most of the world thinks it's a bullshit profession. prosecutors that twist evidence to fit their needs- defense attorneys using loopholes to get guilty bastards out of trouble if they can pay the bill. laws written in black and white with no room for the grey.
the common man is frustrated by a system that favors the rich and the sly over the truth.

Roadiepat
07-14-2006, 06:24 PM
“It is better to be a mouse in a cat's mouth than a man in a lawyer's hands”
'Spanish Proverb'

“The minute you read something that you can't understand, you can almost be sure that it was drawn up by a lawyer”
'Will Rogers'

“A Lawyer will do anything to win a case, sometimes he will even tell the truth.”
'Patrick Murray'

Simply put.. lawyers have a long history. And a lot of it is bad.. but when you are in trouble with the law. you are glad they are there.. This song is an over all opinion, and is not aimed at any one person.

asdf25
07-14-2006, 10:00 PM
If the first post wasn't trolling, then it was pretty stupid. Regarding "I don't appreciate the preachy attitude that Rev. Maynard has taken on the past few albums"... I wouldn't describe any of Maynard's lyrics as "preachy". It's art, they're making music, not writing newspaper editorials or political proposals.

Also I must agree with everyone else that legal institutions in general are just the kind of bullshit that could make a good topic for an angry Tool song or fit in towards the end of Aenima's lyrics. Not that I'm particularly blown away by the lyrics on this one.

Aunt Acid
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't appreciate, and I don't appreciate the preachy attitude that Rev. Maynard has taken on the past few albums. Just give me the music thanks, and keep all your biased perspectives to yourself.

The past few of Tools albums... you mean like... all of them? They have only HAD a few albums.

Please stop listening to Tool.

Iowa
07-15-2006, 03:28 AM
Boofuckinghoo... Don't post your bitchy ass complaints here. No one gives a shit.

HelenA
07-15-2006, 04:01 AM
As a law student, I work very hard, and take ethics very seriously just to have MJK call me a liar. I don't appreciate, and I don't appreciate the preachy attitude that Rev. Maynard has taken on the past few albums. Just give me the music thanks, and keep all your biased perspectives to yourself.

Maynard is the only hypocrite for telling people to be positive in concerts and shoving this crap down people's throats. No thanks, I'd rather listen to something I can take seriously.

Did you really think this through before you pushed the "submit reply" button? As a law student you should read back through what you have written and consider the gaps in logic, the problems with the arguement and the complete lack of perspective.

And am I seeing this right - your SECOND post (ever) was to start a thread about "Being offended by a Tool song...."? Man, good luck with THAT!

and no eggs
07-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I would like to start off by apologizing. I was completely kidding and just wanted to guage people's replies. I thought it was kinda funny and I figured that a few would get mad and that most would figure it was bullshit.

Just stirring the pot. Also, Tool fans, as a rule, are a pretty snobby music bunch, and generally take themselves too seriously most of the time. I just wanted to see how people would react.

If I pissed you off, I'm sort of sorry.

walkerw8
07-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Also, Tool fans, as a rule, are a pretty snobby music bunch, and generally take themselves too seriously most of the time.

Wow. that's almost an understatement. If I didn't know that before, I've definitely found that out in coming here. Don't get me wrong, there's some fairly intelligent, well mannered people here, more than a few actually, but some of the responses you've gotten for starting this topic exemplify what you speak of that I have quoted in this here post. Maynards right. The message has been lost, and no less, missed by a lot of his fans.

GullyFoyle
07-15-2006, 10:45 AM
what do you call a hundred lawyers at the bottom of a lake?

a good start!

gf

nighthawk
07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
If you think that Maynard is a hypocrite since the past few albums, why do you keep listening his music and buying his cds??
Ps: don't work so hard.

and no eggs
07-15-2006, 03:03 PM
things that tool fans do:

1) take themselves too seriously
2) put down everybody else's taste in music
3) post without reading things above it (for example the post explaining that it was a fucking joke)
4) be pissed that other people are such hypocrites
5) say that a new album sucks before truly absorbing it even though everybody knows it takes a while to digest fully.

-seacrest, out

mindstream
07-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Based on the above presentation...

I think you're going to suck as an attorney.

Terry21
07-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Liar = the person that called Maynard something, the pot, the hypocrite.

Lawyer = the person that defenses the liar.

Mirror = his mind that is trying to tell him that he is screaming at innocent people.

He all asks them:

What's the difference between what he is calling me and what he did?

Eyeballs deep in muddy waters, fuckin' hypocrite.

HelenA
07-15-2006, 03:33 PM
If I pissed you off, I'm sort of sorry.

Aaaawwww, well I am sort of sorry too. I am not very good at detecting 'bullshit' - especially on the Net.

PS I made those biscuits you refer to in your name. They are delicious.

pandora's paradox
07-15-2006, 03:54 PM

3) post without reading things above it (for example the post explaining that it was a fucking joke)
5) say that a new album sucks before truly absorbing it even though everybody knows it takes a while to digest fully.

-seacrest, out

Just a suggestion. You may be on the wrong forum.

I may be wrong. If so, why do you say that a new album sucks before truly absorbing it even though everybody knows it takes a while to digest fully. You take yourself too seriously.

PLEASE READ ABOVE BEFORE POSTING

vinegar_tom
07-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Liar = the person that called Maynard something, the pot, the hypocrite.

Lawyer = the person that defenses the liar.

Mirror = his mind that is trying to tell him that he is screaming at innocent people.

He all asks them:

What's the difference between what he is calling me and what he did?

Eyeballs deep in muddy waters, fuckin' hypocrite.
Since this thread is pure shit and not going anywhere anyway, I just came in this thread to say I'm very fond of Terry21's avatar.

AMF
07-15-2006, 07:05 PM

-seacrest, out

tr00th.

this.anna
07-15-2006, 07:33 PM

-seacrest, out

Things that Tool fans do not do:

1) end their comments with "seacrest, out."

Or at least, they shouldn't. No one should. And that is the first step to a better world. That, and everyone realizing that he and Carson Daly are both human Ken dolls.

and no eggs
07-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Just a suggestion. You may be on the wrong forum.

I may be wrong. If so, why do you say that a new album sucks before truly absorbing it even though everybody knows it takes a while to digest fully. You take yourself too seriously.

PLEASE READ ABOVE BEFORE POSTING

i really don't know if you could have misinterpreted the things i wrote any more than you did.

congrats!

and half of these replies are by people who still take themselves too seriously.

goddam people, you're on a message board.
lighten the fuck up.

and just for that one guy, i won't end with seacrest, out.

i love you all.

Terry21
07-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Why didn't you read my post?

and no eggs
07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
i did read your post, i just didn't have a response to it... truthfully, i'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say.

i'm just going to lay this out, so that everybody gets it... (no smart ass sarcasm, which is a first for me)

I am not offended by this song...
I think it is a fantastic song, musically and lyrically.
From my understanding of the lyrics, I do NOT disagree with it.

Just being a gadfly.

HelenA
07-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Information we could have used ... earlier. Its Ok - I am sorry I was so cranky - I am just more of a straight-shooter, I'm not that great with sarcasm. Can we be friends now?

Benevolent Son
07-17-2006, 02:03 AM

iblyt

Terry21
07-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Okay, now let me tell you that I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say.

mr. nikki jensen
07-17-2006, 04:55 AM

hey buddy. im sorry that you were offended by the pot. i think the best you can do is to stop listening to the song. its maynards point of view and nobody can chance that. no offence taken.

2and46
07-17-2006, 05:11 AM

If you are an honest, ethical attorney there should be no problem. TOOL themselves have a whole team of lawyers protecting their kingdom, so I imagine its risidual animosity to what they went through in the late 90's. Most of the attorneys I know are pretty good people, so I don't take a song lyric and extrapolate it to the whole.

vicarious
07-17-2006, 05:29 AM

You are a fucking idiot. You and the profession you have is crap. You have sold your soul to the devil. There is no respect deserved for what you do.

You fucking George W. Bush lover.

Go to Tim McGraw's website. That's where you belong.

dawn
07-17-2006, 06:51 AM
6. No excessive flaming. You're going to disagree with people, and you'll have shoving matches, and that's all just part of being online. But don't start calling someone derisive names. Attack the idea, not the person. Friendly name-calling is OK, just don't be obnoxious with the users or the Mods.

This means you.

Terry21
07-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Haha, already three people being pissed off by the first post, after the poster said it wasn't serious.

paraflux
07-17-2006, 06:58 AM

You say "past few albums" as if there were a plethora to choose from. However, who would be the hypocrit, if you took his anti-christian message and ran with it? Are ALL christians how the band has portrayed them to be? Certainly not. If you are offended, then perhaps you should ask yourself why. If Maynard came out and said "sound engineers are fucking stupid as hell" I dont think I would be offended as long as I knew that I was not stupid as hell. Get it?

walkerw8
07-17-2006, 06:59 AM
kinda funny. We've seen at least a half a dozen posts ripping into the original post in this thread AFTER the "and no eggs" clarified his position. It's kind of dumb actually.

paraflux
07-17-2006, 07:01 AM
What's dumb is expecting for people to read the entire thread before posting on something that catches their eye, such as the OP here.

Terry21
07-17-2006, 07:21 AM
kinda funny. We've seen at least a half a dozen posts ripping into the original post in this thread AFTER the "and no eggs" clarified his position. It's kind of dumb actually.

Yeah and it's kinda dumb from you posting this, because I already said it.