PDA

View Full Version : Sex

Phosphoros
04-25-2003, 09:27 AM
The users' profile should have information about the user's sex....

Pro_Art
04-25-2003, 09:34 AM
How about male, female, or undecided. lol

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)

Phosphoros
04-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Pro_Art
How about male, female, or undecided. lol

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan) That is what I was meaning....male or female, because sometimes you read posts that sound a little bit weird if you do not know the sex of the poster...

Alexandra
04-25-2003, 04:40 PM
You know, I deeply contemplated this matter as well, and I found after some good quality deliberating, that it really does not matter. I find that I prejudge people if I know their age and gender. I like the member data just the way it is: very indiscrete, so we can all just look at what's written, and not at the person...or what we think the person is like.

Cronos
04-25-2003, 06:21 PM
The profiles are set up in a way where you type in your information. If you leave it up to the user to type up his sex it is almost assured you will get, "K THX!"

Even allowing 4 letters for Male is enough to put, Yes.

If you allow one letter, you can put M or F, but some could even put Z...

I'm sure you could write a code that prompts you that you're profile is incomplete if you enter anything but M or F, and it focuses on the Sex category that you entered the Z in.

But, I'm sure that's a lot of extra work for something that's not that important.

Mark D
04-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Solution: Put gender where some people chose to add a little bit extra to their location.

revolver_7
04-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Alexandra
I find that I prejudge people if I know their age and gender.

or if you dont know them at all

REvolver.....

dan
04-29-2003, 07:15 AM
an interesting proposition.

what's in it for ME?!?! :)

Alexandra
04-29-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by revolver_7
or if you dont know them at all

REvolver.....

Well, in this situation, reading posts on the internet, I really cannot make any solid assumptions about anyone. So I really dont'. Other than making up an image of what they look like in my head, that's about it, unless they say something definitive about themselves.

The more little details you give, the more your mind does the work for you. This is not really a good thing, since assumptions can be bad, especially on the internet. So I maintain that knowing nothing is better, because then I treat everyone more equally, and everyone can establish their own ideas without judgement.