PDA

View Full Version : What character do you picture while listening to this song?

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
07-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Sometimes if i may, i'll picture a character in this song going through what's happening to him.
The best likely candidate that comes to mind is johnny depp from fear and loathing in las vegas.
Can anyone come up with someone who would be a better character for this song? i challenge....

ktdude
07-11-2006, 12:41 AM
That's a good one, I can see it. For some reason I have always pictured Adam. I don't know why. He has huge shades on and is all dressed in black.

disaxiom
07-11-2006, 01:13 AM
johnny depp doesn't seem quite right... i mean that character was an expert on drugs but the guy in this song sorta seems unused to it, and believing everything that's happening

lizbiz
07-11-2006, 06:23 AM
Ever seen the movie 'Fire in the Sky'? I picture that, crazy alien abduction.

swampyfool
07-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Mitch Kramer

"Mitchie Mitchie Mitchie!"

jack's ennui
07-11-2006, 03:17 PM
i always picture some crazed looking guy in a grungy,dirty, clothes, that looks like he's just been through a storm sittin on the exam room bed spiilling this story to the doctor, while the doctor just has look of utter confusion/horror on his face..

T-13h
07-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I tend to view this song through a first-person perspective. I'm like that with Tool songs.

JE Mack
07-11-2006, 08:53 PM
i picture sort of the same thing as jack's ennui said.

TheJuiceOfSatan
07-11-2006, 10:18 PM
ive always thought of some young guy with short brown hair. In an old lookin hospital, like one from the 50's, with the long hallways and windows all down them. The nurse is dressed like that era too, same with the doctor. And i always see a desert.

TheJuiceOfSatan
07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
o and when hes pleading with them do they understand, theyre like trying to hold him down and give him a shot and hes just yelling those words at them.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
o and when hes pleading with them do they understand, theyre like trying to hold him down and give him a shot and hes just yelling those words at them.
Haha,
so what do you guys picture at the best part....the climax of the song,right before "overwhelmed as one might be...."

FatherMuck
07-13-2006, 01:16 AM
I see charles manson . . . scungy hippie on acid. . . shitting the bed

jack's ennui
07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Haha,
so what do you guys picture at the best part....the climax of the song,right before "overwhelmed as one might be...."

i see him going from this exspressionless to starting to show desperarity and in his face, maybe pacing the room.

anarcho-commie
07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
I always pictured Maynard. I can just look at it through his eyes, with the nurse and the doctor staring over him, kinda like when you're at the dentists, except in a hospital. Then the doctor begins to question him, and he's still feeling the effects of the drugs to a certain point. That's why the doctors voice sounds a little dazed. And when he's telling the story, he's laying down, looking up and telling it in a normal voice, but to him it sounds all wierd and he hears music and all that because his state of mind is still a bit altered.

Gnome_Chomsky
07-14-2006, 05:44 PM
I tend to view this song through a first-person perspective. I'm like that with Tool songs.

Me too, I've always imagined looking up from a bed at people standing over me whilst this song is playing.

resonance.
07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Dave

jack's ennui
07-17-2006, 01:42 PM
I always pictured Maynard. I can just look at it through his eyes, with the nurse and the doctor staring over him, kinda like when you're at the dentists, except in a hospital. Then the doctor begins to question him, and he's still feeling the effects of the drugs to a certain point. That's why the doctors voice sounds a little dazed. And when he's telling the story, he's laying down, looking up and telling it in a normal voice, but to him it sounds all wierd and he hears music and all that because his state of mind is still a bit altered.

the laying down theory doesnt seem probable. and here's why:

the song suggests somewhat that the protagonist came in on his own free will. which would suggest that his waiting in one of the rooms rather than being laid down on a bed by nurses and so forth, because he is not injured at all. i think possibly the hospital was just the first place he went to relay his message.

young-pilgrim
07-18-2006, 12:04 PM
"god damn, shit the bed"
"strapped to my bed"

Generally when you're waiting in a hospital room they give you a bed to sit on unless you're in admission. And it seems more likely that someone would have brought him in rather than him just going in himself. I mean if I had some all-important message I'd go to the media not the hospital lol ("Hey everybody!! I know the meaning of life!!" "That's nice, sir. Do you have insurance?"). There's also the likelihood that he was strapped to an asylum bed from the very beginning, completely disconnected from reality, so that even when he's telling the story it's all in his head.

Either of those explanations would make sense to me in this context because the speedy two-voices-at-once mumbling at the beginning of the song is for me reminiscent of the kind of not quite there thought patterns that can come when you're totally brained on too much psychedelics (or I assume when you're deranged).

reflection11
07-18-2006, 12:12 PM
I picture Michael Jordan skying over John Starks, like he always did.

skip tracer
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Heh, I had thought of Depp's FALILV character too.

jack's ennui
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
maybe if this song is a refrence to a mans dream, strapped down on my bed, refferes to sleep paralysis

walkerw8
07-22-2006, 05:57 PM
I always pictured someone slightly overweight with facial hair, a ballcap maybe, someone you know, like Kevin Smith. Perhaps your typical run of the mill pothead.

ArizonaBay
08-01-2006, 06:32 AM
Sometimes if i may, i'll picture a character in this song going through what's happening to him.
The best likely candidate that comes to mind is johnny depp from fear and loathing in las vegas.
Can anyone come up with someone who would be a better character for this song? i challenge....

For some reason i picture a fat Johnny Vegas-esque character perpetually munching on those crispy cremes in disbelief at whats happening before his pudgy eyes

ktdude
08-01-2006, 06:36 AM
Wicked avatar Arizona Bay :o) I like your image too.

Corganschild
08-09-2006, 03:20 AM
I see a fat impressionable teenaged boy with acne-type character.

Rubb.
08-09-2006, 03:22 AM
santa. naked. apart from his hat.

offspring
08-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Do you know the movie "Mars attacks"?
These little, stupid Martians *lol*
and the boy who shits in bed is that sucker from my school which no one likes *g*

Terry21
08-18-2006, 05:38 AM
I don't imagine things when I listen to stuff, not even when I read a book. Its kinda something seperate.

Where_Is_Mother
08-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I see some really wide-eyed guy in his mid 30s who just thought he figured out life and he's trying to explain it to someone on the street but it's coming out in code. Probably just took a bunch of psychadelics.

tbrent21
08-25-2006, 02:57 AM
I'm picturing a black and white cartoon with grotesque caricatures, particularly when it comes to the "bug eyed" part.

henri_ds
08-25-2006, 03:01 AM
I simply imagine Maynard in shorts and birkenstocks sitting in the desert at dusk.

FloydTheCat
08-25-2006, 09:04 PM
i picture myself

IcaLynn
08-31-2006, 09:00 AM
i see a big guy in grungy clothes: black shirt, jeans with holes in them and stains all over. his hair is messed up as if he had been playing with it a little to much. hes eating donuts and at first, hes just there looking over the grand canyon, but everything is covered with lush green grass and theres fireflies everywhere. hes calm until he turns around and theres a humaniod standing there and he places his hand over the mans mouth before he can scream. the man wakes up and the alien is staring at him and pulls in a bit closer and touches the mans nose. "boop, youre special." basically thats what hes saying. the man starts to twitch and scream while the alien is talking to him in a language that he cant understand. he passes out again and wakes up in a field and walks blindly to a hospital.

DON IOTAE
08-31-2006, 09:22 AM
a high school dropout loser

mattsmom
08-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Never conjured up a face......but could almost feel the pain.

philipg
09-01-2006, 05:39 PM

The narrator is definitely a "The Dude" AKA Lebowski
some product of the hippie generation, like a 40 year old burned out conspiracy buff who didnt know what he was getting into when he took that DMT