PDA

View Full Version : all albums connected this way?

forty6n2
04-24-2003, 08:14 PM
i had a thought the other day, i dont know if someone already came up with this but oh well i could care less.

Opiate-a narcotic drug, highly addictive.
Undertow-the feeling of being sucked back into doing the drug, cravings.
Ænima-the cleansing album as many have said.
Salival-the craving for more.
Lateralus-lateral thinking, being sober

well, what do ya think? is it possible or farfetched.

Wataru
04-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Good observation. I hadn't thought of looking for an inter-album correlation.

I think it would have required a tremendous amound of foresight to be able to plan something like that in advance. But it seems to make sense...

I think the most likely thing is that when Maynard went to start writing for his new album, he looked at the previous album as a starting point, which would both be a good idea and account for the connection between them.

But what comes after you've achieved 'Lateral thinking'? A new drug? Could the new drug be APC? Good post, very thought provoking.

holyfived
05-02-2003, 07:06 AM
They are all interconnected in an intergral manner.Exploring theme's of a subtle and all encompassing nature.

Opiate: Marx said..... Religion is the opiate of the mass's Organized religion vs the new inner discovery. the seed is born.
We are all one mind= you are just part of me?

Undertow: negitive and very self reveiling on maynards behalf...... Lyrics from undertow the song: Two times in..or gone under two times. it's twice as high as heaven and twice as loud as reason.... = bringing out our hope and reason?

aenima: the Bill hick's/new martyer album
mantra...laughter is the best medicine.
remember the lyrics to flood?
take what is mine,hold what is mine, soon the water will come and claim what i mine i must leave it behind and crawl to a new place now..... Arizona possiblly.. the initation to the feminine side(anima)/magikal perspective..

salival: this album could be the call to the mass's.....think for yourself, question the Bush Administration..... oh, I mean authority. And discover the light"under a different light"/ acid influenced spirtual ART...

Lateralus: All I can say about this album is work that damn muscle in your head, see pg. %5%, within is without thus as above so below....

paraflux
05-02-2003, 07:49 AM
It sounds cheesy and cliche to say this, but Tool is special, unlike any other band with the exception of maybe Floyd and Zeppelin. But Tool has far more focus than those bands. They TOTALLY incorporate where they are into their music. Therefore, the albums will follow a natural progression. People can say, hey its just music, dont read too deep into every single little sound or title, but shit, if it does have meaning then why not look for it? If we are doing what we are supposed to be doing in our lives, everything we do will follow a natural progression as well. Just another aspect of Tool showing us by example what human potential is.

Mehhico
05-06-2003, 04:36 PM
I agree that all of their albums are connected and so will the future albums. They all follow this progression, and, just as a side note, I think the members in Tool would have had a broad outlook and the intentions of their music from the start. They were not stupid, they were quite learned and had experienced a shit load from what I have read, so why is it hard to acknowledge that they had a purpose from the start and stuck to it.
I have said this somewhere alse, but I will say it again. Lachrymology was where they started, and their music is supposed to be some sort of a 'tool' or a guide to lachrymology. This theory, together with the 46+2 and high colonics ideas, is quite evident in all of their albums. It is a very personal, spiritual journey, which they, and us, are continuing to enjoy.
These are just my thoughts as well, as I too think that there is a strong bond between every song that Tool have produced since the beginning.
What are your thoughts on this idea? If they started talking about this in the early years, I don't think it can be excused completely. Thats just my opinion.

revolver_7
05-06-2003, 06:22 PM
i actually posted something on this before i got to read this thread:

"Undertow so the album as a whole is basically getting rid of your inner demons.. and to find your self first...

then Ænima is about society and finding it faults... and maybe proposing how to reach the next step....

.....which is Lateralus the whole communication idea this is the way we go to the next level by communicating letting go of our pety hatred and crucifying our egos...

which leads to the next album....

as for opiate and salival they definately fit in their aswell
maybe opiate is the one most out of sync with the rest of TOOL's progression but salival definately fits inbetween Ænima and Lateralus like "think for yourself before you start to communicate" sort of thing

or maybe im just full of shit.... "

REvolver......