PDA

View Full Version : high is the way

simplydaman87
07-09-2006, 11:31 PM
i have a theory about the pot that i haven't really seen discussed and i think its pretty cool...

for some context, i feel like aenima and lateralus, lyrically, both suggest that there are answers to the questions of all the tough questions about the universe, who we are, where we come from, etc., and that divinity is real and that human beings are a part of it. in contrast, i feel like 10000 days expresses the opposite. maynard's viewpoint has shifted to thinking humans are no more than monkeys (right in two) and that there aren't any concrete answers.

its pretty well established that maynard thinks that christianity, and other organized religions are not acceptable answers to those questions or divinely inspired. now that he realizes (or believes) that there are no answers, he looked back and saw himself believing the answers on aenima and lateralus were true. in other words, he fell into a similar trap that christians do, and his condemnation of one set of answers over another is just the pot calling the kettle black.

in the wings duo, maynard clearly mocks and "points his finger" at christianity while eulogizing and speaking to his mother, and also declares that "high is the way," which i believe refers to the "answers" on aenima and lateralus.

now for the pot. i think that the speaker in the song is maynard's mother scolding him for what he's just said. the echo seemingly coming back from where 10000 days left off suggests this, as well as the speaker calling the addressee "boy." in the mother-son relationship, at least a functional one, when the son is scolded the mother is correct. so maynard uses judith's real role in his life to express to us his new realization that is then manifested in vicarious, rosetta stoned, and right in two (basically that humanity is pathetic), and that he was wrong and hypocritical the whole time. ultimately, through the song, he is mocking his former self and the way he has treated his mother's beliefs.

the lyrics provide a lot of evidence for this (i'll just go through a bunch of them):

"who are you to wave your finger?" - self explanatory

"rob the grave to snow the cradle" - maynard is, through wings/10k days, maximising his mother's hyprocricy while minimizing his own

"soapbox house..." - people get up and lecture people on soapboxes, just like maynard lectures the congregation and his mother in wings

"you must have been so high" - mocks "high is the way" with the double meaning of the word high

"what you talkin bout? difficult to dance round this one till you pull it out boy" - self explanatory

"steal, borrow, reefer, savior, shady inference" - to judith it would be shady to infer that steal:borrow and reefer (or high, or the way):savior (or christ) could be a true analogy

"weeping shades of indigo" - could mean that maynard brought the stress of his realization on himself

"liar, lawyer, mirror, show me whats the difference?" - this is a bit of a stretch, but i think there is a case for saying that maynard refers to himself and his mother as reflections of one another (using that word or light) in jimmy, pushit, reflection, and wings..."mirror" could simply mean "maynard". in other words "a liar and a lawyer, maynard, show me what the difference is. you say you hate lawyers so much and you say there's no difference. well now you're a liar!"

"ghanja please?! you must have been out your mind" - keeps mocking "high is the way" by saying that the double meaning of high...stoned...isn't crazy enough to describe how maynard was acting, he must have been out of his mind.

all this explains the pot's placement after and transition from wings.

sorry to be long but i thought of this all today and thought it was really sweet. pretty fucking cool how simple this song looks on first glance and then how many layers maynard seems to have tied into it.

parables in the world
07-12-2006, 02:54 PM
well done fellow Tool fan, for posting something actually worth reading on this damn message board. I could see this as how maynard likes writing from different perspectives.

bmeason
07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Nice! Thanks for opening my thought process towards this new avenue. I see your case, and you presented it well. Thanks!

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Right in two is a song from the perspective of Angels/higher beings viewing us as lessers/monkeys. And I don't believe Maynard has in anyway changed his beliefs. 10,000 Days is a album about dissapointment in today's culture, possibly for people not finding the answers that Lateralus and Ænima pointed towards.

duncang
07-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Right in two is a song from the perspective of Angels/higher beings viewing us as lessers/monkeys. And I don't believe Maynard has in anyway changed his beliefs. 10,000 Days is a album about dissapointment in today's culture, possibly for people not finding the answers that Lateralus and Ænima pointed towards.

You actually think Maynard expected us all to go "WOW DEY IZ RITE!!! LETS ALL B SPIRITOOL!!!!!"? That's what you're indicating by saying he was dissapointed that people hadn't followed the lyrical paths of Ænima and Lateralus.

But threadstarter, thats a very good thought. I think his spiritual ambition and insight was basically his entire life during the recording/touring of Lateralus, then when Judith Marie died, he was sent crashing back to Earth, realising the divinity of humans possibly wasn't even there. At the time he wasn't thinking of his former beliefs as hypocritical or wrong, just that they had been crushed. I'm gonna quote some lines from 10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2):

"Listen to the tales and romanticize,
How we follow the path of the hero.
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun.
How we rise to the height of our halo."

This is Maynard talking to the audience at the time of Lateralus, the 'height of our halo' is this spiritual height mentioned during Lateralus. The romanticizing is all the speculation of God reaching out to people while listening to the album, and they are tales because, lets face it, it is not true.

"Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
Our way into the arms of the savior"

Still listening to these tales, Maynard and the listener rationilizes themselves, and realises that they aren't being lifted to another level of humanity. The saviour is Jesus, Maynard is finally realising that the higher being of humanity could simply be God.

"None of us have actually been there.
Not like you."

None of them have died, she has, and he now realises that he is simply human (as shown in Right In Two), as was Judith. He admits he cannot surpass himself.

"It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

This is him talking to God, asking for redmption and forgiveness.

I am not Christian and so this isn't biased towards Maynard being Christian, but this is just my opinion on the matter.

simplydaman87
07-16-2006, 08:51 PM
You actually think Maynard expected us all to go "WOW DEY IZ RITE!!! LETS ALL B SPIRITOOL!!!!!"? That's what you're indicating by saying he was dissapointed that people hadn't followed the lyrical paths of Ænima and Lateralus.

But threadstarter, thats a very good thought. I think his spiritual ambition and insight was basically his entire life during the recording/touring of Lateralus, then when Judith Marie died, he was sent crashing back to Earth, realising the divinity of humans possibly wasn't even there. At the time he wasn't thinking of his former beliefs as hypocritical or wrong, just that they had been crushed. I'm gonna quote some lines from 10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2):

"Listen to the tales and romanticize,
How we follow the path of the hero.
Boast about the day when the rivers overrun.
How we rise to the height of our halo."

This is Maynard talking to the audience at the time of Lateralus, the 'height of our halo' is this spiritual height mentioned during Lateralus. The romanticizing is all the speculation of God reaching out to people while listening to the album, and they are tales because, lets face it, it is not true.

"Listen to the tales as we all rationalize
Our way into the arms of the savior"

Still listening to these tales, Maynard and the listener rationilizes themselves, and realises that they aren't being lifted to another level of humanity. The saviour is Jesus, Maynard is finally realising that the higher being of humanity could simply be God.

"None of us have actually been there.
Not like you."

None of them have died, she has, and he now realises that he is simply human (as shown in Right In Two), as was Judith. He admits he cannot surpass himself.

"It's time now!
My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

This is him talking to God, asking for redmption and forgiveness.

I am not Christian and so this isn't biased towards Maynard being Christian, but this is just my opinion on the matter.

the idea that maynard is a christian is ridiculous. "she never told a lie...well...might have told a lie, but never lived one" should be all you need to see that

"listen to the tales..." is describing human nature. it makes us feel good to imagine that we would have done exactly what jesus supposedly did, aka be a hero, and it also makes us feel good to pat ourselves on the back, telling ourselves we'll be saved, or, as maynard puts it, "rationaliz[ing] our way into the arms of the savior". thats why religion is so popular. "give me my wings" is maynard using the hypothetical situation of judith speaking to the judeo-christian god to praise her faith and lack of hypocrisy. to him she is so deserving, by the christian standard, that if christianity is true she has the right to demand that god accept her into heaven.

morgoth's shadow
07-17-2006, 08:28 AM

spiritool?? congratulations, you just made up my new favorite word.