PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

WizardOfGauze
11-24-2002, 05:53 PM
I may be wrong with this opinion. I may be right with this opinion. Here's an idea of the song that I think the band is getting at.

The song,"Hush", is about the influence of religion, philosophies, guidelines, et cetera(is that how you spell it?), on the lives of the average human. Religious folk are always restricted, and restrict themselves in a way. I know..I used to be a "devoted Christian,"; 3 times a week in Jesus' house, prayer, Bible, blah blah blah. It's a funny feeling when you look back on it. You are told, not directly, that you can NOT do certain things; listen to "ungodly" music, use profanity or vulgar language, have sex before marriage, hang around the "wrong" people, and the list goes on. You just can't do these things. You're a 3 lb. dog leashed to a wall under God.
And when you do something "bad," you're left with an unbearable feeling of guilt, or you feel down, when your pastor, priest, minister, or churchmates confront you and attempt to "heal" you and urge you to repent. It's kind of like a democracy gone even more sour.

"I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious"
Mentioned above

"Go fuck yourself, you piece of shit. Kill yourself"
Our Father says to love our enemies...

"People tell me what to say, what to think, and what to play"
Only speak so that your Creator accords, think appropriate thoughts, and play "nice" music.

"Just Kidding"
You better forgive yourself before the Almighty One strikes you down after speaking these horrid words.

Well that's what I think. It kinda fits with the image that the album 'Opiate' is depicting. A wicked looking figure in a priest's attire, rows of eyeless and brainless masses below his feet. I could be way off and maybe the song is only about issues with freedom of speech, parental advisory stickers, and the alike. Bye, for now.

-Tom