PDA

View Full Version : Kind of like that incubus song

mikedawg9857
07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Does this song remind anyone of that Incubus song Calgone, the last song on S.C.I.E.N.C.E.? Brandon and Maynard both singing about aliens and crazy random shit, singing really fast so that you almost can't tell what they are saying, but then slowing it down, plus both songs have funky intros that go into crazy guitars. I just listened to Calgone and was like 'hey this is kind of like rosetta stoned'. Maybe I'm crazy, just thought I'd put it out there.

swampyfool
07-06-2006, 05:24 PM
You people disgust me . . .

crispy
07-06-2006, 06:09 PM

paraflux
07-06-2006, 06:15 PM
In that they are both somewhat disjointed, yes. SCIENCE being their last real album.

Nate-Dogg85
07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Science being their last real album? NOOO!!! Well hopefully you like their newest album "we recorded a song called dig, and its the hardest song we wrote yet" - brandon boyd.

paraflux
07-07-2006, 05:40 AM
no.

tool/rush/mars
07-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Science being their last real album? NOOO!!! Well hopefully you like their newest album "we recorded a song called dig, and its the hardest song we wrote yet" - brandon boyd.

I would only hope any good band would write more "difficult" music as they got older, last time I checked as long as your playing music you should be improving.

As if a song being the "hardest" makes it good.

In other words, incubus sucks.

MORNING_GLORY
07-09-2006, 12:18 PM
incubus only sucks in comparison to Tool, but then again, the majority of the bands out there suck in comparison. Incubus is a good band.

tbrent21
07-09-2006, 01:44 PM
incubus only sucks in comparison to Tool, but then again, the majority of the bands out there suck in comparison. Incubus is a good band.

Good point, MG . . . Tool has kinda ruined enjoyment of a lot of other bands that we'd all be listening to under other circumstances.

Imagine a world where MTV doesn't pick up "Sober", no one buys Undertow, Tool fades into oblivion, and today we're all listening to Incubus and old King Crimson and Zeppelin albums. That was really probably the most likely scenario, but thank God, FOR ONCE, the music industry fucking came through by opening the door for Tool to thrive.

paraflux
08-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Um, no, Incubus sucks because they had potential and wanked it away.

bmeason
08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Um, no, Incubus sucks because they had potential and wanked it away.

Yes, a shame.

I really liked the start... the eclectic... but the professional government larry king like commentary of late... a bit overzealous and dissapointing.

You have only been gone an album, but already I've lost my respect
I know I'll hear you again, whether far or soon
Just wanted you to know incubis, I Miss the spiritual you.

mr. nikki jensen
08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
incubus is nice IMO

BlanketEffect
08-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I liked some of their stuff very much. "Aqueous Transmission" is very good.

holotrope
08-04-2006, 12:19 AM
I've always thought that Incubus are a good band. The only album that I wasn't so hot about was the last one, and that's just because it was really unfocused and rushed sounding compared to all their other albums. And that song Southern Girl.... ugh...

I hate the people who hear S.C.I.E.N.C.E and then freak out when the rest of Incubus' stuff doesn't sound like that. That was an experiment for them and they've always said so. They weren't a metal band before that, they were a freakin' jazz band.

Make Yourself is an awesome album, really innovative songwriting in a lot of places, and just plain good music. Morning Glory is a solid album and has some really amazing songs on it, but everyone freaked out because it was quieter. ACLotM had some really good songs on it, but kind of loses steam towards the end, and has a lot of ideas on it that could have been developed more.

But that's why I'm looking forward to the next album. They are very talented musicians, and together they're a great band, so they have the ability to pull off a good album, but this one's kind of make or break. I'm glad they're taking time over it, since I really did think the last album could have been better if they'd taken more time. But it will be interesting, this one's going to determine if they're going to mature into an awesome band for the future, or if they're going to pull a U2 and become their own cover band (like the RHCPs did with Stadium Arcadium).

krumz
08-04-2006, 08:18 AM
S.C.I.E.N.C.E is awesome..

paraflux
08-04-2006, 08:31 AM
I hate the people who hear S.C.I.E.N.C.E and then freak out when the rest of Incubus' stuff doesn't sound like that. That was an experiment for them and they've always said so. They weren't a metal band before that, they were a freakin' jazz band.

Please show me where they said that prior to the release of Make Yourself, or whatever piece of crap came after SCIENCE. Because I find it very hard to believe that they said to the public, "Here, here's an experiment, buy our experiment, we'll tour, and act the part of a hardcore fusion band, but just wait till our next shit which is highly pussified."

And if those comments were made after their mainstream success, it's simple backpedalling.

Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Incubus are fans of Psychedelic fungi, so I guess they can't be ALL bad.

dancingflame
08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
i don`t know why but I never listened to their last album...
but the alien-connection is there for sure (woke up on the wrong side / shit the bed again)...and the fungi-connection...
for some reason I don`t listen to them anymore....maybe I should....all in all I think this thread is unimportant...:)
peace!

jim39n
08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
...Morning Glory is a solid album and has some really amazing songs on it...

I do believe that's Morning View dude, but I know where your heads at. lol

I enjoyed all of Incubus's albums, the weakest by far being Crow Left of the Murder, but it had some decent music. I'm interested to see where they go with this next album

praefector
08-05-2006, 05:14 PM
there is a similar theme in the narratives

but calgone is more about a dude having the worst day ever

rosetta stoned is more about a specific trip that went screwy

praefector
08-05-2006, 05:15 PM
woke up on the wrong side / shit the bed again...

dont you mean "i dreamt i went potty and woke up drenched in me" / "shit the bed again"

dancingflame
08-13-2006, 10:36 AM
dont you mean "i dreamt i went potty and woke up drenched in me" / "shit the bed again"

no...i didn`t meant that but its even better....thank you! its pretty long ago that i heard the incubus-song ...

SpiralReflection
11-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I've always thought that Incubus are a good band. The only album that I wasn't so hot about was the last one, and that's just because it was really unfocused and rushed sounding compared to all their other albums. And that song Southern Girl.... ugh...

Make Yourself is an awesome album, really innovative songwriting in a lot of places, and just plain good music. Morning Glory is a solid album and has some really amazing songs on it, but everyone freaked out because it was quieter. ACLotM had some really good songs on it, but kind of loses steam towards the end, and has a lot of ideas on it that could have been developed more.

But that's why I'm looking forward to the next album. They are very talented musicians, and together they're a great band, so they have the ability to pull off a good album, but this one's kind of make or break. I'm glad they're taking time over it, since I really did think the last album could have been better if they'd taken more time. But it will be interesting, this one's going to determine if they're going to mature into an awesome band for the future, or if they're going to pull a U2 and become their own cover band (like the RHCPs did with Stadium Arcadium).

My friend's favorite band is Incubus, I am forced to hear a lot of their songs. Sorry, but SCIENCE is the best. I own Make Yourself, Morning View, and Crow, they're all spotty/hit-or-miss compared to SCIENCE. Sure theres 4 or 5 good songs on each, but they write some real yawner cookie cutter made for radio songs that just bore me.

Terry21
11-23-2006, 06:35 AM

Idiot.

mike09
11-23-2006, 08:43 AM

lol. 4 months later, and "dig" is a pop rock song.

BlanketEffect
11-23-2006, 09:08 AM

Similar to "The Pot" in that respect, eh?

mike09
11-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Similar to "The Pot" in that respect, eh?

The Pot was hyped as being the heaviest song Tool has ever written?

BTW, have you heard "Dig" yet?

mr. nikki jensen
11-23-2006, 10:06 PM
im looking forward to light grenades. incubus rocks the socks off...

mjkajdcjc
11-23-2006, 10:40 PM
In that they are both somewhat disjointed, yes. SCIENCE being their last real album.

Good call.

Fungus Amongus is where it's at.

mr. nikki jensen
11-24-2006, 08:46 AM
fungus amongus' the shit! awesome album

El Shaggy
11-24-2006, 12:27 PM
This will be one of their singles for sure, probably Love Hurts aswell. I thought the new album was a step up from A Crow, now that i have re framiliarized with their catalouge. Incubus' eariler work was definately their most original and best.

mike09
11-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Incubus' earlier work was original?

mjkajdcjc
11-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Incubus' earlier work was original?

Not by any means "original", but "orgasmic", yes indeedee!!!

Metta Synth
11-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Incubus is solid...even though they have changed alot from album to album, there was this band you might have heard about called pink floyd that did the same thing... Floyd is my favorite band of all time, and I'm not trying to compare Incubus to them, but you gotta look at it from the artist's point of view. Maybe the guys in Incubus wanted to experiment with other ideas, which is kind of what art is all about...who cares what direction it went, as long as those guys feel they are expressing themselves the way they would wish...Personally, science is the best work theyve done, i thought crow left of the murder was their worst effort, but i can appreciate it because it's very unique...

My biggest issue with incubus is their live shows...they barely play any of the old stuff, and they always play their big hits....which is okay, except I'd rather go spend my money where there aren't so many screaming 15-year old girls...311 keeps it real with the old/new material balance on stage

TOOL!

mjkajdcjc
11-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Incubus is solid

My biggest issue with incubus is their live shows...they barely play any of the old stuff, and they always play their big hits....which is okay, except I'd rather go spend my money where there aren't so many screaming 15-year old girls...311 keeps it real with the old/new material balance on stage

311 is what's up!!!!

Yeah, Incubus kinda bother me for that reason, too. But hell, as long as you've got 311 and RHCP and all those good funk bands to see, just listen to Incubus on your mp3 player. They'll like you just as much as the guys that come to their shows.

lateralus15
11-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Calgone reminded me of Rosetta Stoned too. They definitely have their similarities...

And I heard the entire new Incubus album online off of "Sneak Peak", and let me say I'm very disappointed. Incubus is my favorite band aside from Tool and it seems they have lost their originality and ability to create very unique songs. I feel like they've become just another rock band, and the lyrics on this new album are AWFUL and so literal

S.C.I.E.N.C.E was by far their best album (although, no matter what anyone else says, Morning View was really well done)

MORNING_GLORY
11-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I must be the only fan of Make Yourself... besides the singles there are some gold nuggets on that album.

YouSirAreAnIdiot
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
311 blows. Case closed.

SCIENCE reminds me of Bungle. IF you listen to Calgone and Nebula he rips off Patton with some of his screams.

scummonk
11-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Great thread!
I never even thought about that, but guess they are similar!
As for the whole Incubus-are-any-good discussion, I think they started as a blatant rip off of chilli peppers etc. on "Fungus...", but on S.C.I.E.N.C.E they really grew and it is my favourite album. Make Yourself is fantastic, but I found Morning View to chilled out and boring and that's what made them HUGE so I guess my opinion isn't shared. I quite like "Crow Left..." and the new stuff I have heard off "Light Grenades" sounds okay, but I ain't too sure yet. Conclusion, Incubus are hit and miss, but still a top band!

mjkajdcjc
11-27-2006, 04:28 PM
I blow horse cock. Case closed.

That's nice...

jim39n
11-29-2006, 09:30 PM
311 blows. Case closed.

SCIENCE reminds me of Bungle. IF you listen to Calgone and Nebula he rips off Patton with some of his screams.

i'm pretty sure i've read where brandon boyd specifically said he they were influenced by mr. bungle. no shame in that, as long as they're doin there own thing with it and not being completly derrivitive, which i think they were.

I must be the only fan of Make Yourself... besides the singles there are some gold nuggets on that album.

make yourself was deffinetly an eye open back in the day for me. it came out when i was in middle school and the lyrics about rejecting the mold society was trying to make for you and deciding building yourself up as a person really hit home.

MORNING_GLORY
11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
311 blows. Case closed.

311 actually have some Crowley related stuff... lots of new age philosophies and ideas... I see them as a bubble gum version of Tool.

Metta Synth
12-02-2006, 12:47 PM
311 actually have some Crowley related stuff... lots of new age philosophies and ideas... I see them as a bubble gum version of Tool.

I agree...I fell in love with 311 the moment I heard "Down" on the radio back in 5th-6th grade...that shit was so intense at that age to me...

They definetely have some deep lyrics throughout their entrie catalog...especially the album Transistor...they touch on global energy problems, how rock and roll stardom is bullshit, even some metaphysical topics are discussed, and the music is C.H.I.L.L.

Tool is definetely a lot more metaphorical and progressive when it comes to the music and lyrics, but 311 has an unbreakable positive message that can be a pleasant relief from the onslaught of deep contemplation Tool brings.

BlanketEffect
12-02-2006, 03:04 PM
GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA OM NAMO BHAGAVATE VASUDEVAYA HUNG VAJRA PAY OM MANI PADME HUM

heh... yes