PDA

View Full Version : Is this the seminal track on 10,000 days?

2and46
07-05-2006, 07:45 AM
I think Right in Two is the most important track on the album. Sums up the whole vibe of the album. Has a gargantuan sound, poignant lyrics, just a very important song for TOOL. Like Lateralus for Lateralus, Third Eye to Aenima, Sober to Undertow etc. Is Right in Two the most memorable on 10,000 days?

swampyfool
07-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm more prone to believing that Wings for Marie/10,000 Days is(are) the seminal track(s). This album is certainly very different from the rest of the repertoire, and the unprecedentedly and unashamedly personal nature of WFM/10KD seems to be quite significant of that difference. I agree that this song sums up the album's vibe, though.

CaseLogic
07-05-2006, 08:48 AM
So many SAT words in this thread, my mind is going to explode

Sp00k
07-05-2006, 09:13 AM
So many SAT words in this thread, my mind is going to explode

Lmao. Yes that is the nature of this forum. It almost seems like every one who posts here, copies their post into WORD then finds the most off the wall synonym for every word in their post.

I'll give it a try for what I just wrote.... ^^^

Lmao. Yes that is the temperament of this environment. It more or less appears that all and sundry who post at this juncture, replicates their post into WORD then unearths the most off the wall synonym for every utterance in their post.

2and46
07-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Lmao. Yes that is the nature of this forum. It almost seems like every one who posts here, copies their post into WORD then finds the most off the wall synonym for every word in their post.

I'll give it a try for what I just wrote.... ^^^

Lmao. Yes that is the temperament of this environment. It more or less appears that all and sundry who post at this juncture, replicates their post into WORD then unearths the most off the wall synonym for every utterance in their post.I don't even know what "SAT word" means. If you don't like people with high vocabularies, go to another site.

Sp00k
07-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I don't even know what "SAT word" means. If you don't like people with high vocabularies, go to another site.

Easy there internet tough guy. I just found that quote rather funny.

2and46
07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Easy there internet tough guy. I just found that quote rather funny.

Fair enough. I'm really not that tough, but thanks for the brief moment of machismo.

resonance.
07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
This is hardly ideal.

Cha
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Lipan is far more important in terms of overall importance.

smeefsmeef
07-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Am I the only one who knows what "jambi" means? (SAT score = 543 kiloquatics).
btw, I'm not telling you dumbasses.

No one and nobody
07-24-2006, 07:12 PM
I agree that WFM & 10K set the tone for the album, but I personally think that Right in Two (as my favorite) concludes the album in a way best suited as a complement to all the previous tracks. Every good movie has to have great ending. RI2 completes the train of thought opened by Vicarious's revelation of our nature, through the introspection of Jambi, the personal grief of WFM & 10K... do I really have to go on?

Too bad most musicians (and I use that term loosley) nowadays only produce singles, not albums... here's to a long line of ever-evolving tool music!

No one and nobody
07-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Am I the only one who knows what "jambi" means? (SAT score = 543 kiloquatics).
btw, I'm not telling you dumbasses.

Does this count?

Jambe: A projecting mass or columnar part.

2and46
07-31-2006, 07:19 PM
I wish Viginti Tres didn't exist. Right in Two should end this poignant album.

SpiraMirabilis
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I wish Viginti Tres didn't exist. Right in Two should end this poignant album.
It might of been better to have a long pause between Right in Two and Viginti Tres like in Lateralus. I don't know way they scrapped that idea.

Back to the subject, I agree with 2and46. Right in Two fits that possition both musicly and lyricly IMO.

SpiraMirabilis
08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Hang on a minute, are 2and46 and 2and47 the same person?

DON IOTAE
08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I think Right in Two is the most important track on the album. Sums up the whole vibe of the album. Has a gargantuan sound, poignant lyrics, just a very important song for TOOL. Like Lateralus for Lateralus, Third Eye to Aenima, Sober to Undertow etc. Is Right in Two the most memorable on 10,000 days?
I have to agree wiht you. It definitely stands out for similar reasons as the other songs you mentioned. They are in fact, seminal. A foreshowing of what's to come (like paraflux has mentioned quite incessantly...)

CHeers.

DON IOTAE
08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
*lol*

apparently...

ObiJohnKenobi
08-01-2006, 01:41 PM
It certainly is the song that catches my attention the most, but I would say that it's hard to accept any of the songs in isolation.

If i were to pick the ultimate song on this album it might have to be 10,000 days... not because it is the title track, but because of its impact.

Unlike many albums, which are generally just collections of songs, 10,000 is likely the best theme album that has been released since dark side of the moon.

DON IOTAE
08-01-2006, 01:49 PM
^ Ah ah ah!

You're forgetting "Metropolis pt 2"!

ObiJohnKenobi
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
^ Ah ah ah!

You're forgetting "Metropolis pt 2"!

i'd like to think of it as saying i rate it quite highly on my list.

not a DT fan, but you have tempted me ;-)

AMF
08-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Not in my opinion it isn't. My least favorite of Tool's "real" songs, not counting interludes and such.

2and46
08-01-2006, 02:55 PM

Yes...its a long story. They wanted my password which I had lost. Then i had forgotten my e-mail had changed so they couldn't e-mail it back to me. So instead of being patient and trying to get a hold of the mods, I went and re-registered. I figured if my name changed to 2and47, they could make the connection. Nothing sinister, just an honest mistake on my part. (maybe they can "move" my 2and47 posts back to 2and46, and we can forget this ever happened)

DON IOTAE
08-02-2006, 08:36 AM
^ I knew it!

bmeason
08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Is an off the wall statement part of the responses to the actual question posed? Or do we just like to discuss our "SAT" words rather than use them to actually grant an answer or response to the before mentioned idea?

Right in two is the epitome of an ending vibe. Does it encompass the whole album, create a standard? IMHO, no. But as stated many o many of times, this album continues and will always continue to be YOURS in a sense that it is what you want, and it is what you seek to find in it...

We can do a multitude of exciting and thought provoking theries and thoughts, but nothing however is more than just our listening environment and own experiences we try to place into the music. Our interpretation is just that, until the word from the men.

However I love the discussion so keep it up. I just thought I could intelligently focus on the question at hand, add a new aspect to it, and bust the SAT comments' balls. ;)

Whoop.

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Is an off the wall statement part of the responses to the actual question posed? Or do we just like to discuss our "SAT" words rather than use them to actually grant an answer or response to the before mentioned idea?

i draw most of my entertainment from seeing these so-called "SAT" words used in a sentence that was otherwise meant for a kindergartener's recess conversation (ie. "The preponderance of poop in my pants is indubitable insofar as my herculean grunting can be substantiated. In my humble opinion, 'pasghetti's significance in my dietary needs transcends anything these educational institutions can provide.")

i figure that most off-the-wall responses, like mine, are just a way to make someone feel better when they are hopelessly lost in the slopiness of rhetoric.

bmeason
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
i draw most of my entertainment from seeing these so-called "SAT" words used in a sentence that was otherwise meant for a kindergartener's recess conversation (ie. "The preponderance of poop in my pants is indubitable insofar as my herculean grunting can be substantiated. In my humble opinion, 'pasghetti's significance in my dietary needs transcends anything these educational institutions can provide.")

i figure that most off-the-wall responses, like mine, are just a way to make someone feel better when they are hopelessly lost in the slopiness of rhetoric.

Now that is what I call logic.

Can we express the same thing over and over? Yes... rhetoric, as you would call it, ideas continue to overburden this whole conversation (forum section) of 10,000 days and its signifigance, or perhaps likes/dislikes of it. This is a complete result of laziness not to read others ideas and thoughts that have previously been posted and explored; an action I and the majority of us are guilty of. However my friend, for every rhetoric thread and enlightened thought, you must realise the importance we feel as a "self-unit"! This overides the want to look for the same, we feel we have a unique and eureka-like thought. With this, it is posted quick and subjectively shot down with flames or "SAT" strown sentences!

Obvious I know, but is the need to present a self satisfying embolished intellectual and exceptionally written response just the same? A self "upper" that leaves you smiling with glee? Just like the lightbulb that went over the rhetoric thread starters head when he rushed to post her/his thoughts? At least we feel self important and the ability to contribute just the same... I guess it is like the statement, "Can't we all just get a bong?".

Let's not even get started on the way threads subject matter bounce from ideas - to hate thoughts - to belittlement - to back to the subject - then... I'm just as guilty... look at this post ;)

Just makes me laugh! Oh the human condition, how I love thee (especially mixed with this diverse tool crowd) :)

EulogyCallinMe
08-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Now that is what I call logic.

Can we express the same thing over and over? Yes... rhetoric, as you would call it, ideas continue to overburden this whole conversation (forum section) of 10,000 days and its signifigance, or perhaps likes/dislikes of it. This is a complete result of laziness not to read others ideas and thoughts that have previously been posted and explored; an action I and the majority of us are guilty of. However my friend, for every rhetoric thread and enlightened thought, you must realise the importance we feel as a "self-unit"! This overides the want to look for the same, we feel we have a unique and eureka-like thought. With this, it is posted quick and subjectively shot down with flames or "SAT" strown sentences!

Obvious I know, but is the need to present a self satisfying embolished intellectual and exceptionally written response just the same? A self "upper" that leaves you smiling with glee? Just like the lightbulb that went over the rhetoric thread starters head when he rushed to post her/his thoughts? At least we feel self important and the ability to contribute just the same... I guess it is like the statement, "Can't we all just get a bong?".

Let's not even get started on the way threads subject matter bounce from ideas - to hate thoughts - to belittlement - to back to the subject - then... I'm just as guilty... look at this post ;)

Just makes me laugh! Oh the human condition, how I love thee (especially mixed with this diverse tool crowd) :)

k... cool.

bmeason
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
k... cool.
... and then the rambler recalled the amphetamine salt he has been doing all night. lol.

a step back makes you see that even a simple agreence can be elongated and over announced.

The result? your quote above ;)

The Barrier
08-02-2006, 10:50 AM
I think the overall meaning of this album is rightout and said in this track, BUT I believe 10.000 Days is the real seminal track. The song consists of reformation of ones beliefs, understanding, and coping. It's brilliant.

bmeason
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I think the overall meaning of this album is rightout and said in this track, BUT I believe 10.000 Days is the real seminal track. The song consists of reformation of ones beliefs, understanding, and coping. It's brilliant.

Yes. In fact maybe the whole album is a "spawn" of these concepts; hence (like you say) the title track being like a north star to this idea!

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1271834&postcount=2 (My reply to an intension thought which focuses on a major aspect of your three describers; copying)

word.

DON IOTAE
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm more prone to believing that Wings for Marie/10,000 Days is(are) the seminal track(s). This album is certainly very different from the rest of the repertoire, and the unprecedentedly and unashamedly personal nature of WFM/10KD seems to be quite significant of that difference. I agree that this song sums up the album's vibe, though.
10kd is more like the best song overall, according to the guys. You've all heard it, right? How Adam, Danny, Justin and MJK say that this the best song they've ever written... all I know is that I have my personal favourite, overall, and right now, it's not 10kd (the song).

And I agree with you on your last statement.

selfimportanttoolfan
08-04-2006, 09:55 PM
i'm not reading all of this, but i don't think seminal means, "worst". this song is just recycled pieces from older songs, and contains arguably the worst lyrics ever written by maynard

resonance.
08-04-2006, 10:01 PM

I think 10,000 days is the most important track on the album. Sums up the whole vibe of the album. Has a gargantuan sound, poignant lyrics, just a very important song for TOOL. Like Lateralus for Lateralus, Aenima to Aenima, Undertow to Undertow etc. Is 10,000 days the most memorable on 10,000 days?

implandnoises
08-10-2006, 10:15 PM
I don't care about whether this song is the most important track or whatever, but I just discovered that this song rocks TOO much.

Yes TOOO much. I was listening to it with my headphones and when the section at 5:23 kicked in I couldn't stop my head from moving dramatically to the beat. To my dismay, the headphones flew off my head on the first beat and I missed the best part of the song....

Rocks too much for headphones.....

DON IOTAE
08-11-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't care about whether this song is the most important track or whatever, but I just discovered that this song rocks TOO much.

Yes TOOO much. I was listening to it with my headphones and when the section at 5:23 kicked in I couldn't stop my head from moving dramatically to the beat. To my dismay, the headphones flew off my head on the first beat and I missed the best part of the song....

Rocks too much for headphones.....
*LMAO*

Nevvermind183
08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't think sober is the best song off undertow, i think thats their worst single, i liked Intollerance alot more on that album. A little off subject, just replying to the statment in the original post.

DON IOTAE
08-20-2006, 12:47 AM
it rocks too fuckni much!!!

implandnoises
08-20-2006, 05:25 AM
it rocks too fuckni much!!!

I am with you there buddy!

Jimmeny
08-20-2006, 05:27 AM
Right In Two is overrated imo.

DON IOTAE
08-20-2006, 08:44 AM
the moon is overrated (http://rathergood.com/moon_song)

mike09
08-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Right In Two is overrated imo.

It is. Good song, but come on. It's not that good.

Jimmeny
08-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Is the moon song gonna be on Tools next album?

mike09
08-20-2006, 10:29 AM
wtf is the moon song?

DON IOTAE
08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
*lol*

right in two is the seminal track of the album, IMO

Jimmeny
08-20-2006, 02:45 PM
haha

DON IOTAE
08-20-2006, 03:33 PM
haha

Jimmeny
08-20-2006, 04:56 PM
*lol*

DON IOTAE
08-20-2006, 09:25 PM
lolz

IMO

unifiedtheory
08-20-2006, 09:27 PM
It's my fave track right now...

Then again, that changes weekly.

Jimmeny
08-21-2006, 05:08 AM
Right In Two is the penultimate track imo.

swampyfool
08-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Right In Two is the penultimate track imo.

HA! That's rich!