PDA

View Full Version : Instrumentation

Phudson
07-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Er, maybe someone's already asked this but what is the instrument that enters at 1:35? I can't decide whether it's a voice or not and it can't possibly be a guitar. It sounds to me like some sort of arabic wind instrument but as far as I know none of the bandmembers play any such thing.

henri_ds
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm 95% sure it is "Sarangi". an instrument used mainly in classical indian music (generally accompained by tabla). I like the sound of this thing a lot.
They probably hired Aloke Duttah or one of his friends (he plays tabla, and other indian instruments ? I don't know).

Loz_Leigh
07-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Might even be a violin, I know Adam used to play.

The Tower That Ate People
08-27-2006, 03:11 AM
That sound reminds me of a Doudonk. Something between a flute and a viola in sound. A doudonk actually looks like a flute or a long tube, and it makes an awful haunting sound I just love. But it could be something else.

nathe
09-13-2006, 06:59 PM
i gave some people i know a listen, and they said it was this chinese violin thing

i forget what its called but it makes that vocal sound found in there, depending on how good you are at getting different tones out of it.
its definateley not a wind instrument. winds would never make a sound like the runs in there about 2:02 to 2:05. its def some kind of ethnic violin

Wildfries
09-27-2006, 10:54 AM
I dont care what the fuck it is. its a really beautiful sound and its one of the things that makes this song one of my favorite all time Tool songs

base metal
10-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Er, maybe someone's already asked this but what is the instrument that enters at 1:35? I can't decide whether it's a voice or not and it can't possibly be a guitar. It sounds to me like some sort of arabic wind instrument but as far as I know none of the bandmembers play any such thing.

I have been wondering the same thing, I love this song and this instrument was the perfect choice here. I want to know what instrument it is so I can get me one, SHIT!!

Solaris
10-02-2006, 03:33 AM
It could be a cello. I've listened to Apocalyptica a long time before I bought my first Tool album and when I first listened to Reflection, I was sure that this had to be a cello.

Wildfries
10-05-2006, 09:11 PM
there is no way that is a cello. having played in concert bands and orchestras throughout the years, im 100% certain its not a cello

The Tower That Ate People
10-26-2006, 02:00 AM
We really don't know how that sound was recorded. For all I know it might not even to be a real instrument, but on computer? I don't believe myself, but I'm staying open.

Mr. Electric Ocean
10-26-2006, 05:45 AM
The whole turkey sounding thing? I would say Sarangi

Amazonis
10-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Sounds like the kind of music they play in documentaries and movies about India, so I assume its some sort of Indian wind instrument.

Prison Sex
10-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Violin/Electric Violin?

zchgla1
10-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I think sarangi is correct.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3415488478982484348&q=Sarangi&hl=en

HelenA
11-04-2006, 02:58 AM
AND - what is that odd "beep" at 5:59?

Solaris
11-04-2006, 03:45 AM
AND - what is that odd "beep" at 5:59?

I think thats a guitar effect.

SpiraMirabilis
11-04-2006, 06:26 AM
I'm 95% sure it is "Sarangi". an instrument used mainly in classical indian music (generally accompained by tabla). I like the sound of this thing a lot.
They probably hired Aloke Duttah or one of his friends (he plays tabla, and other indian instruments ? I don't know).

That sounds right. I don't know much about Indian music, but I can definatly tell its Indian just buy the way it's tuned.

SpiraMirabilis
11-04-2006, 06:27 AM

Forever In Debt
11-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I looked up some Sarangi stuff, and that shows a very close resemblence. I am almost certain that this is not a violin.

El Shaggy
11-09-2006, 06:54 PM

I really question what are guitar effects and what is a differernt intstrument some times in the strings area. Adam Jones can make some really masquerading effects. The intro to 4 degrees almost sounds like a Sitar, but i am pretty sure its just an effect.

The Sarangi google video is great, nice addition to the thread.

ajp1982
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
what is the instrument that enters at 1:35?

When I saw the Lateralus concert, Maynard (with his back to the audience) held something to his mouth over the microphone. Whether or not its anything like a 'voicebox' guitarists use, but i reckon its something similar to simmulate the weird electric current sound in (-) Ions.

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere on the thread.

A.

Arkham Asylum
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Electric sitar by any chance?

Whatever it is, it is absolutely perfect.

toolrox19
07-25-2007, 01:49 PM
effect on adams guitar, and might i add...beautiful

Avani
06-06-2018, 07:40 AM
I have been wondering the same thing, I love this song and this instrument was the perfect choice here. I want to know what instrument it is so I can get me one, SHIT!!

It is Sarangi, like a few people have mentioned here.

Avani
06-06-2018, 07:55 AM
When I saw the Lateralus concert, Maynard (with his back to the audience) held something to his mouth over the microphone. Whether or not its anything like a 'voicebox' guitarists use, but i reckon its something similar to simmulate the weird electric current sound in (-) Ions.

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere on the thread.

A.

I could be way off here, but I think that could be an Indian instrument originating from the state of Rajasthan, called Morchang (or Morsing). It is a Jaw Harp that is held firmly between the teeth with one hand while the other hand plays the string. The sound reverberates and is quite distinctive. That string sound accompanies the Sarangi that starts at 1:35. If anyone has heard it, please do verify. I'm merely guessing.

Varenya
06-26-2018, 04:22 AM
It is Sarangi, like a few people have mentioned here.

I have been into Indian music scene as a percussionist since long. I can definitely say that "Sarangi" is the absolute instrument which is used in Reflection. I have jammed a lot with folk and classical musician and my ears know when they read the sound.

Avani: So nice to have people around in India who have this song in their collection. It needs a specific kind of person to like Tool.