PDA

View Full Version : I forgot my pen

Semp
06-29-2006, 07:50 PM
I'll admit, I haven't really been following this forum that much, and while I have had a quick cast through to see if this idea has been floated previously, I can't find anything, so I appologise if I'm retreading old ground.

Anyway, I was listening to 10k Days tonight and I was distantly mulling over what Tool said about this being their "blues album". You've got all these immediate, quite melancholy songs... Vicarious lamenting our innante desire to entertain ourselves with the misfortunes of others, Jambi's fear of losing the one most precious thing in life amidsts the clutter of lesser treasures, Wings,10k Days and the death of Judith Marie etc. I got to Rosetta Stoned and I wondered, what is bluesy about this? Are they really that bummed that they forgot their pen? Is that all?

And then I remembered something I read in the latest issue of Sub Rosa (which all you esotericly minded types should check out). In a review of Daniel Pinchbeck's 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl, the reviwer refers to how the author undertakes a series of psychadelic journeys and despite his contempt for the usual new age "I am the new messiah" hokum, well, he falls into the well-worn trap of post-psychadelic messanic thinking. I'm sure a lot of you guys who are the thinking types, in particular the thinking and drug taking types have run into this syndrome where you wind up getting so caught up in the amazing truths you seem to have stumbled on, and so profoundly frustrated by the seeming ignorance of those around you that you start to slide into somewhat egotistical thinking. Thinking, perhaps, that you are the Chosen One.

Obviously, on the surface, the song pretty neatly follows the progress of an intense psychaedlic experience. The feeling of divine illumination, the reciept of a message, then the unbearable fear that you'll never be coming down, and finally that hazy confusion about exactly what it was that you learnt that was so monumental. But how does that fit into the blues theme?

Well, here's my theory: Tool have always been kinda tied in with esoteric knowledge, transcendentalism and neo-shamanism. And throughout their work there is a reccurant theme of Tool trying to spread a message, trying to enlighten people, trying to expose the hypocrisy and spiritual perils of everyday life. Perhaps the story in Rosetta Stoned is something of an allegory for the journey the band has been on? Maybe after 4 albums the band has sort of reached that point where they're feeling like they forgot their pen, can't remember exactly what it was they were working toward. And in doing so now feel somewhat humbled, and more able to produce more personal music. Perhaps this could go somewhat to explaining why there is so much more Christian symbolism on this album.

rochey-o
06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
yeah yo. tool told everyone all this cool shit on lateralus to help them out but nobody believed them because its all drugged out hippy shit just like that dude. now their pissed that nobody listened

Natural Mystic
06-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Great post. That could be exactly it. Hmmmm. Nothing to add. Awesome post!

Edit: Alrighty, a question came to mind.

If this is they're intented meaning "spiritual awakening/mundane day-to-day stuff" then the question is; what's going to happen? Or better yet, what must we do to transcend? How will this manifest?

Yeah, those are questions that cannot be answered really. I guess I am just exiceted in a way, to see where we will end up.

Return to One?

Yondo
06-29-2006, 10:05 PM
I've already linked this album to 12/21/2012 (or is it 12/23/2012? That would work better)...

but I can't remember how.

Should have wrote it down.

Magos
06-30-2006, 02:07 AM
lol, good one yondo.

Semp
06-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Great post. That could be exactly it. Hmmmm. Nothing to add. Awesome post!

Edit: Alrighty, a question came to mind.

If this is they're intented meaning "spiritual awakening/mundane day-to-day stuff" then the question is; what's going to happen? Or better yet, what must we do to transcend? How will this manifest?

Yeah, those are questions that cannot be answered really. I guess I am just exiceted in a way, to see where we will end up.

Return to One?
I think you misunderstand. In keeping with the "blues" theme of the album this song is lamenting Tool's loss, temporarily or otherwise, of their confidence in or understanding of the grand themes and messages they've been trying to convey previously.

Personally though, I believe transcendence is inevitable. We can only speed up or slow down the process. As we develop technologically and scientifically and broaden our understanding of conciousness and in doing so create technologies that interact directly with our conciousness, so we take steps toward transcendence. This all grows out of humanity's fundamental curiousity and as such is somewhat inevitable.

Garguantua
06-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I can relate personally to the song, as I have had one of those "crazy" experiences. I thought I had deciphered the universal constant and new the secret to the universe, but it passedout of my memory as soon as I came down. bummer. I really thought i had Einstein's theory locked up and put away. Just delusion from an LSD experience.

But whether Rosetta Soned can be summed upo in that way, I'm not sure. I really think it's just a "sketch" or comedy routine put to music. Maynard does have a very interesting sense of humour. I think that's all it is.

Yondo
07-01-2006, 05:12 AM
I thought it was just that kinda of "Oh my, I need to remember this" sort of thing.

But then i looked deeper. Six inches, in fact.

Erm, no I didn't.

But man, I found a way to link World Domination to Rosetta Stoned, I found The End theories, I linked itto Vigenti Tres... man, oh man.

trickma
07-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Semp that was a fantastic post, it's really gotten me thinking!!

Nate-Dogg85
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I think if the band were disapointed in their fans getting a message, they would make it a little more clear. They write the way they do so its left open for interpretation and discussion.