PDA

View Full Version : Take what is mine

Thimble in sea
11-24-2002, 03:06 PM
I think most of the people here hit the nail on the head, I just want to add a little more.
"I will take what is mine, hold what is mine, suffocate what is mine, bury what's mine, soon the water will come and take what is mine, I must leave it behind and climb to a new place now."
He's holding so tightly on to what he has that he's suffocating it. He holds onto it for dear life thinking he cannot survive without it, but he ends up realizing he cannot survive while carrying it. It's all part of the crumbling images thing, it could symbolize materialism in these lines, and it may be something more, I ain't gonna claim to read Maynard's mind. Soon he realizes that he did not really need what he was holding onto so dearly because the water is cleansing a purging him. He has had a new revelation and he realizes that he needs those things no more.
I don't know, I just wanted people's opinions on those few lines, those are ones that really connect to me. (As does the whole song)

disposition8
11-25-2002, 06:11 AM
all i have to say is I hadn't even realized i skipped over those lines. we dont throw away our "realities" east =P. great point.

4º warmer
12-02-2002, 04:51 PM
just as with every tool song, flood can be interpreted a million ways, but i reall agree with what you guys are saying. Its about a slow, yet overwhelming, flood of change (taking shape in the intro) that overtakes one who still stubbornly holds onto one's ideals, behaviors, commitments, attitudes, etc. that need to be changed. for me, personally, maynard's lyrics have drawn direct paralles with my struggles with addictions. shit i wanted what i wanted and didnt want to let go, but the flood of change was slowly enveloping me everyday until "i had to leave it behind and climb to a new place now."

"thought i was high, thought i was there:
but i was wrong - this changes everything...."

ShackledEidolon
12-04-2002, 02:07 PM
Seems like this song is connected to The Grudge in its message. We cling to whatever our current view is on the world and we refuse to see it any other way. Even after seeing that holding onto this idea is going to kill us (metaphorically) we are unwilling to let it go and learn something else. Taking what is mine and burying it...giving up what use to be important. In order to grow we must sacrifice our old views and find that higher ground. Give up our current way of thinking and evolve allowing ourselves to see some other way.

Most certainly these are the important lines in the song.

Good thoughts keep up the good work

Hyatir
12-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ShackledEidolon

Good thoughts keep up the good work

Thank you daddy... ;)
hehe