PDA

View Full Version : Reverse the Intro

deps
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
okay, i'm totally going out of on a limb here, but i nreversed this song and found an amazing spoken word part in the intro....

can anyone tell me what it says?!

xxx_jpk_xxx
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Are you sure its 10,000 Days? Cus there is a spoken word part in Intension. Maynard is whispering "Work hard, Listen to your mother, stay in school, your father was right" (probably fucked up the order he says it in), Ill go and reverse the intro and listen to it, though. How far into it is it?

rochey-o
07-04-2006, 10:00 AM
http://stashbox.org/uploads/1152035922/Tool%20-%20Intension.mp3

Choice Breath
07-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Are you sure its 10,000 Days? Cus there is a spoken word part in Intension. Maynard is whispering "Work hard, Listen to your mother, stay in school, your father was right" (probably fucked up the order he says it in), Ill go and reverse the intro and listen to it, though. How far into it is it?

Yeah, he says that here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBPuw9hrGE&search=Tool%20mtv%20interview

lighterbandit
07-12-2006, 04:42 AM
so are we supposed to take the 'secret message' literally, or are we to reverse the meaning of the message as well and take it as the opposite of the original message? that's a tough one for me because they're both beleiveable.

mr. nikki jensen
07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
just listen to it the way it is, then it sounds alot better.

[ænima]
07-14-2006, 02:51 PM
both ways are amazing

Nietzsche's Dead
07-17-2006, 04:17 PM
maybe he's serious, maybe not.
but i take it as comedy. im sure he knew die-hards would feel there's a deep hidden message and reverse it, only to find mjk's suddenly turned into an old man :)
i mean - such strict opinions, on such a spiritual song?
and a message aimed at the well being of children?
i think not, kind sir. i think not

XD

Inner_Eulogy
07-20-2006, 03:09 PM
maybe he's serious, maybe not.
but i take it as comedy. im sure he knew die-hards would feel there's a deep hidden message and reverse it, only to find mjk's suddenly turned into an old man :)
i mean - such strict opinions, on such a spiritual song?
and a message aimed at the well being of children?
i think not, kind sir. i think not

XD

I think he was kind of serious about his point but at the same time he did it jokingly. He said in an interview before about how back in the days kids always listened to their parents and had respect for their parents and nowadays they never do and their parents always try to tell them what the right thing to do is with their lives but they always seem to have to go find out for themselves the hard way and later when they grow up they stop and think "damn they were right all along". I think that may be his serious part but, perhaps put it in their in a way that you could obviously tell there was a reversed track and get people thinking it was some satanic message and get parents or ( cough..FCC ) to fall off their rockers just to find out it's a fruitful message.

Airport Mesa
07-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Thanks for that link. I couldn't find the program I was told to find.....

ktrip
07-22-2006, 08:47 PM
he also seems to be whispering something forward....

"listen... closely..." other things too, i just cant make it out....

maybe he put the satanic message forward? hiding in plain sight? that'd fuck up the fcc.

Semp
07-22-2006, 08:55 PM
so are we supposed to take the 'secret message' literally, or are we to reverse the meaning of the message as well and take it as the opposite of the original message? that's a tough one for me because they're both beleiveable.

I think the point is that they're playing on the stereotype of metal bands as being satanic, and the hoary old tale of the album with the reverse message telling you to worship satan or do other things that sends the moral majority into a fit of outrage and concern. Instead of killing your parents or worshipping Satan, we actually have here a message telling listeners to do the sort of things the moral majority would approve of.

ufopancakes
07-23-2006, 04:20 AM
"Work hard, stay in school, listen to your mother, your father is right."

Reverse the whole song, and listen to it from 5:45. You'll hear it.

ufopancakes
07-23-2006, 04:21 AM
By the way, Im not cool enough to figure that out on my own, that I got from Wikipedia... but its totally right.

Inner_Eulogy
07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
I think the point is that they're playing on the stereotype of metal bands as being satanic, and the hoary old tale of the album with the reverse message telling you to worship satan or do other things that sends the moral majority into a fit of outrage and concern. Instead of killing your parents or worshipping Satan, we actually have here a message telling listeners to do the sort of things the moral majority would approve of.

Isn't that basically the same exact thing I said already?

Solaris
09-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I think it's amazing how the hidden message doesn't fit with the content of the song in my opinion.
The lyrics say "Moved by will alone". In my opinion this says that noone can tell you what to do and you have to find out for yourself what is right or wrong.
And then there are those hidden lyrics that say "Work hard. Stay in school. Listen to your mother. Your father is right" I think they were reversed to clarify the meaning of the song, because when you do everything exactly how other people want you to do it, you can't find out what is right or wrong for you.

Solaris
09-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Following your will means to me to do what I want. The reversed vocals make no thematic sense because they are telling you to do what others (parents,school) want you to do. If you do everything like others want you to, you can't find the right way for yourself. Maybe what they want you to do is wrong. Maybe you could make it better your way.
I don't mean that you shouldn't listen to your parents or stay in school, I don't mean that you should be lazy. I only say (and in my opinion that'sthe meaning of the song) That you should do things your way.

iAMtheMA!
09-23-2006, 07:34 PM
will = intension (see "intention" by tool)

sayten
11-26-2006, 03:44 PM
what about thelema??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

Thelema is the English transliteration of the Ancient Greek noun θέλημα: "will", from the verb θέλω: to will, wish, purpose.

So I think that this song is whole about this.

Crowley summed up the Law of Thelema[23] in these phrases from the Book:

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"
"Love is the law, love under will"
"There is no Law beyond Do what thou wilt"

That's why I think that the meaning of the message should be understood in the reversed way.. (don't go to school.. etc.)

and.. sorry for my English :)

magicbus
11-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Yea that's it. This is probably just Maynard's way of poking fun at the whole "satanic reverse message" phenomenon.

brcy
02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
If you play it backwards, and it says to work hard, then if you play it forward it must tell you to not to.

Wild_Lion_
04-25-2007, 12:28 AM
maybe the message is for the choosen one who didn't graduate from fucking high school

Esurient4Truth
04-25-2007, 03:03 PM

Audacity?

Apachana
04-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Following your Will means gaining knowledge and conversation of your guardian angel and doing what HE tells you to do. Many people believe that this so-called guardian angel is actually more akin to the super-ego or the (supposedly) perfect, inspired reason that resides in the subconscious mind. So following your Will basically means "doing what you know you should" or "not being lazy."

And before you say I'm crazy, please notice that Maynard talks about his "will" a LOT in both Tool and APC. In light of all the weird Rosicrucian type shit going on with this band, I don't think it's a huge leap to think he's talking about Thelema. Will with a capital W.

If the glove fits...

Well Weed centainly Got me daamn lazy. I mean I appreciate the horizon-opening abilities it gave my mind.
I actually think Intension's subliminal word triggered an anxiety attack I had a few months ago, while I was high.

I've got this idea that tool wanted me too panic, so I could realize that weed makes my will lazy.
If that's the case, which I truly believe. I seriously thank tool for plunging me into the swamp, so I could quiet the Habit of smoking weed every day.
I'm now totally clean :)
And Im beginning to feel more and more motivated :D ..jaaiii

mawrestler_140
04-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Does that give anyone else chills???

booshee
05-12-2007, 03:40 AM
It makes me smile rather than gives me chills. I love that kind of sense of humor. It's always - PLay certains records backwards and you will hear Satan and he will eat your soul. And when you take Tool record and play it backwards, Maynard suggests you to be a good boy;). Brilliant.

Matt8
05-14-2007, 02:38 PM
stay in school. the rosetta stoned character never did. perhaps the aliens told him this. i dunno.

M00N
05-16-2007, 12:47 PM

wow thats amazing... its so clear... lol isn't subliminal messages illegal? or just frowned upon... whatever. This is great, thank you for posting.

Choke
08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
no way that subliminal messages are illegal.

ufopancakes
02-03-2008, 03:34 PM
what about thelema??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

Thelema is the English transliteration of the Ancient Greek noun θέλημα: "will", from the verb θέλω: to will, wish, purpose.

So I think that this song is whole about this.

Crowley summed up the Law of Thelema[23] in these phrases from the Book:

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"
"Love is the law, love under will"
"There is no Law beyond Do what thou wilt"

That's why I think that the meaning of the message should be understood in the reversed way.. (don't go to school.. etc.)

and.. sorry for my English :)

Don't waste your time. Sadly, many people are less interested in the philosophies that the art points towards, and more concerned about maynards personal life, what he takes in his coffee, etc...

TheDude420
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I will have to try the intro reverse thing. Will is a very important theme in philosophy as some believe that it is the only pure thing in the world. As long as the will is good, the results from an action with good will driving that action are irrelevant.

I for one are interested in philosophy. Never had any exposure to Crowley tho. I dealt mainly with the existential guys, Nietzsche, Camus, Rand (yuk), Kierkegard (my fav) and Freud. anyone wanting to talk philosophy (lightly at first as i havnt studied them hard in a year and a half) pm me or whatever.

I believe that the reversed words are more of a tongue-in-cheek punch at the idea of subliminals in songs. Making fun of the idea of subliminal words in songs being dark and malicious and the racous they have caused thru the years. Remember the famous "DO IT" in one of Judas Priest songs...what the fuck man.

Inner_Eulogy
02-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I will have to try the intro reverse thing. Will is a very important theme in philosophy as some believe that it is the only pure thing in the world. As long as the will is good, the results from an action with good will driving that action are irrelevant.

I for one are interested in philosophy. Never had any exposure to Crowley tho. I dealt mainly with the existential guys, Nietzsche, Camus, Rand (yuk), Kierkegard (my fav) and Freud. anyone wanting to talk philosophy (lightly at first as i havnt studied them hard in a year and a half) pm me or whatever.

I believe that the reversed words are more of a tongue-in-cheek punch at the idea of subliminals in songs. Making fun of the idea of subliminal words in songs being dark and malicious and the racous they have caused thru the years. Remember the famous "DO IT" in one of Judas Priest songs...what the fuck man.

That's exactly how I see it as well and have said before about the reverse whispers on one of the threads around here somewhere.

TheDude420
02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Thats cool, but i aint tryin to rip you off or anything, i just said that.

Inner_Eulogy
02-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Thats cool, but i aint tryin to rip you off or anything, i just said that.

I know, I never said you were.

dxs
05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
By the way, Im not cool enough to figure that out on my own, that I got from Wikipedia... but its totally right.

I've tried reversing the song with Fruity Loops, and that IS what it says.
I was stunned, because I was somewhat of a skeptic over that theory.

silverysights
11-15-2010, 10:38 PM
It makes me smile rather than gives me chills. I love that kind of sense of humor. It's always - PLay certains records backwards and you will hear Satan and he will eat your soul. And when you take Tool record and play it backwards, Maynard suggests you to be a good boy;). Brilliant.

i smiled as well.

would've never known that was there, as i don't care enough to play songs backwards. interesting hidden message.