PDA

View Full Version : Tool Puzzle & Publius Enigma

patrick.gill
06-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Hello everyone.

First post here. Sorry for opening yet another thread on the same topic, but I don't have anything new and I'm not interested in going over the same discussions again.

What I'm actually interested in is this: does no one else feel this is like the Publius Enigma all over again? For the uninitiated, the Publius Enigma started on the Usenet group alt.music.pink-floyd during Pink Floyd's 1994 tour. Someone who signed as Publius left a message:

"My friends,
You have heard the message Pink Floyd has delivered,
but have you listened?
Perhaps I can be your guide, but I will not solve the enigma for you.
All of you must open your minds and communicate with each other,
as this is the only way the answers can be revealed.
I may help you, but only if obstacles arise.
Listen.
Read.
Think.
Communicate.
If I don't promise you the answers would you go."

The messages continued, asking to look for signs which appeared at shows and in the artwork. It's a long story, so anyone who's interested can find more out at http://folk.uio.no/ericsp/floyd.html.

It has now been 12 years since that first message and there's still no solution to the Publius Enigma. So is Blair's message a prank?

RedMetalSox
06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
I Don't Get It

Chris Myth
07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Interesting connection, in particular because the publius enigma seemed focused around Floyd's "Division Bell" album which has some weird coincidences with the new Tool album... for instance look at the cover art for division bell, featuring two statue faces that can also be seen as a single face, which is similar to alex gray's "net of being" faces. Also some strange occurances in the Floyd album regarding the number 11 have been pointed out, but I don't remember them all except for the number of tracks. Probably not related, but who knows? Maybe we are all looking too deeply... I realize the purpose of this thread wasn't to draw more connections but it's just something weird I noticed...

patrick.gill
07-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I realize the purpose of this thread wasn't to draw more connections but it's just something weird I noticed...It's interesting. I was originally attracted to this because in a way, Tool and Pink Floyd are similar. They're both bands that have created music very different to what is out there at the time, have a prog rock style, are interested in the idea of conceptual albums, etc. I thought Blair's intention was maybe to play a prank playing on a similar theme, in a similar way to what was done by a similar band over a decade ago. History repeats itself, after all. :)

LetGoLetgoLetGo
07-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Look at TOOL NEWS. RIP Syd.

OMG ITS A CONNECTION!!

patrick.gill
07-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, I don't know about a connection, but it's sad news indeed.