PDA

View Full Version : No Meaning

slowmo
06-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Have you ever considered the idea that Maynard's lyrics may have no meaning?

Perhaps he writes his lyrics void of any intuitive thought, and purely from emotion; painting an abstract piece of art in his own mind. The meaning of his music is realized through his listeners, or observers if you will; as a colorful, bright, inspiring and meaningful illustration of immense depth, poetry, and illusion.

No meaning? Is it possible?

If they make a video for "Rosetta Stoned"; it would add a whole new dimension to the song.

What song will they make a video for first? Tool made two videos for Lateralus, they will make @ least one for 10k.

Happyfunball
06-28-2006, 11:12 PM
If you mean in terms of his lyrics having a 'greater meaning' as in listening to and hearing them should be causing us all to do or think something very specific, then no, I don't think a lot of his lyrics have a specific 'meaning'.

If however you accept his lyrics as him attempting to convey a certain story regardless of how ambiguous it may be, then absolutely there is a meaning and a relevence to virtually all of his songs.

I guess it depends upon your sense of the word 'meaning' then. I think it's rare that Maynard is ever attempting to tell us what to do or how to react towards the information he relays, but it's really impossible to argue that there's no information being relayed at all.

An example of someone whom I feel writes lyrics with little to no true meaning would be Bush/Gavin Rossdale. I think most of his lyrics are random thoughts conveyed in single lines of text that rarely ever fit an over-riding theme. To me, that's as close to 'meaningless' as lyrics come when ideas presented in a chorus are not at all supported by ideas offered in the verses.

Maynard on the other hand absolutely has themes and stories that are told within his lyrics. The importance and/or relevence of said themes probably are fabricated to a degree by the listeners themselves. I have no doubt half the alledged 'messages' in Tool's lyrics -- particularly when being connected to additional songs, historical information, etc -- are at the very least mis-interpreted if not completely innaccurate altogether. But still there is an underlying theme and rational thought being conveyed each time. And that, to me, equates to 'meaning'.

slowmo
06-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Do you think Adam Jones's videos coincide w/the meaning of the song, or are they abstract as well? The rythm/music is pieced together abstractly, why not the lyrics and videos?

ThreeDeviations
06-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Do you think Adam Jones's videos coincide w/the meaning of the song, or are they abstract as well? The rythm/music is pieced together abstractly, why not the lyrics and videos?

Yes, the lyrics have meaning.

Yes, the videos coincide with the songs... read my thread on the Prison Sex video if you want to see clearly.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=461

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 07:49 AM

Yes, the videos coincide with the songs... read my thread on the Prison Sex video if you want to see clearly.

Yes. Please. Help us see clearly. PLEASE.

I agree with you on this point, but Christ . . . ego trip much?

paraflux
06-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Have you ever considered the idea that Maynard's lyrics may have no meaning?

Perhaps he writes his lyrics void of any intuitive thought, and purely from emotion; painting an abstract piece of art in his own mind. The meaning of his music is realized through his listeners, or observers if you will; as a colorful, bright, inspiring and meaningful illustration of immense depth, poetry, and illusion.

I am not particularly against this concept. It's possible that they just open up to whatever source they utilize and let things flow through them, not necessarily understanding some things they are even doing. I dont agree with this, but it's possible. But it wouldnt be just Maynard, it would be all of them. Yet, still, by allowing this to happen, they would have to realize that what they are doing is conveying something to everyone, and therefore recognize the meanings themselves.

slowmo
06-29-2006, 01:16 PM

You always seem to assume your interpretations are correct.

As I have mentioned before, the only individuals who possess the truth have heard it from the horse's mouth; all other opinions/interpretations are purely speculation (obviously).

I don't consider any of my own opinions/speculations of Tool's music correct. I consider every interpretation of Tool's art as a possible truth. I must also believe that those who assume their own judgements accurate, are entitled to that luxury; however I still find it narrow-minded.

I am open to the possibility that Tool's music may, or may not have meaning.

RedMetalSox
06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I think the only meaning of rosetta stoned is that some guy had an acid trip and now hes telling the story. Thats the meaning.

savelints8
06-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I think all of their music has meaning, but that meaning shouldn't matter to us fans. It is up to us to find our own meanings. I think that is what Tool's music is all about. They present us with the music, and what we do with it is up to us.

squinch
07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
To me the OP's scenario seems like one where the lyrics have a LOT of meaning. Poetry can be very specific in it's abstract message and therefore be necessarily vague when it comes to it's concrete "meaning."

For instance, the song Jambi could have well been inspired by Maynard's son without actually being ABOUT his son. But just because you can't do a line by line analysis and say "this is about his son because of [whatever]," that doesn't mean that he's not intentionally invoking some abstract concept like sacrifice or attachment. The song is about the abstract concept, not any particular image or story.

So if you're asking "is Maynard the speaker in all of the lyrics," the answer is no. If you're asking if the songs have specific meanings, I say the answer is yes.

perhaps the only reason you cannot do such a line by line explication at this time is that you do not have enough knowledge about MJK and his son

if that knowledge were to become available at some point in the future such an explication might be possible

otherwise, yeah, what that guy said about the greater abstract concepts and stuff

definitely not random lines

Nate-Dogg85
07-03-2006, 07:07 PM
this is the silliest thread ever. Musicians write music to express emotion. Lyrics are another way of shaping and expressing the emotion. Start playing guitar, you'll notice you come up with the most incredible material when you're feeling an extreme emotion of some sort.

Another thing, since you're i believe you are attacking the lyrics of this song, questioning its meaning... Great, if you feel that way thats awesome. However, if you were to start writing your own lyrics (and maybe you do, who knows) you'll start to notice that when you share your material with other people you arent looking for them to connect with the material you created on the same level as you. You find much satisfcation in your work if you can write something about something of importance to you, but someone can find something different of importance to them in your work.

For a while i would come here to see what people were saying about all of the material on this cd. Ive stopped searching recently, basically becuase ive come to a certain type of closure with this cd, and now i just listen to feel the music, rather than understand it. I already understand it, maybe not in the manner you do, but i am quite content with where the music and me stands. Now im just at the point where i wanna rock out to it.

You know why potheads love tool? Because it embraces your typical stoner chat type stuff. But also, when you're completely meshed and you cant think straight, the music itself is so great that you can listen to it without even understanding it. Thats why maynard/adam/justin/danny are geniouses, because with this music, it doesnt matter where you're at intellectually, you can always find something in it.

slowmo
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
this is the silliest thread ever. Musicians write music to express emotion. Lyrics are another way of shaping and expressing the emotion. Start playing guitar, you'll notice you come up with the most incredible material when you're feeling an extreme emotion of some sort.

Another thing, since you're i believe you are attacking the lyrics of this song, questioning its meaning... Great, if you feel that way thats awesome. However, if you were to start writing your own lyrics (and maybe you do, who knows) you'll start to notice that when you share your material with other people you arent looking for them to connect with the material you created on the same level as you. You find much satisfcation in your work if you can write something about something of importance to you, but someone can find something different of importance to them in your work.

For a while i would come here to see what people were saying about all of the material on this cd. Ive stopped searching recently, basically becuase ive come to a certain type of closure with this cd, and now i just listen to feel the music, rather than understand it. I already understand it, maybe not in the manner you do, but i am quite content with where the music and me stands. Now im just at the point where i wanna rock out to it.

You know why potheads love tool? Because it embraces your typical stoner chat type stuff. But also, when you're completely meshed and you cant think straight, the music itself is so great that you can listen to it without even understanding it. Thats why maynard/adam/justin/danny are geniouses, because with this music, it doesnt matter where you're at intellectually, you can always find something in it.

I have played bass guitar for about 7 years now. Yes I write my own music.

I am not saying that Tool's music has no meaning. I am offering my idea as food for thought.

I do totally agree with you that the meaning he 'may' create in his music is meant to be known by himself and the band. Like he has told the press, he doesn't want to 'spoon feed' ideas to his listeners; but let them create a positive, inspiring meaning for themselves.

If Maynard made a clear statement to his listeners, most would change their views/beliefs to immitate his own, causing listeners to be 'brain dead', and un-original; which is a total contradiction of what he has said his goal is.

parables in the world
07-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I think the meaning or theme of Rosetta Stoned is Listening....and understanding...which the main character never did.

swampyfool
07-08-2006, 04:52 PM
I think all of their music has meaning, but that meaning shouldn't matter to us fans. It is up to us to find our own meanings. I think that is what Tool's music is all about. They present us with the music, and what we do with it is up to us.
While I agree that our own, personalized interpretations of the music are of paramount importance to its vitality, I must say that the original (and intended) contexts supplied by the lyricist are equally necessary.

asdf25
07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I think the only meaning of rosetta stoned is that some guy had an acid trip and now hes telling the story. Thats the meaning.
Agreed. Still a pretty damn good song, but can't help but be less moving than some of their more meaningful songs... on the other hand, it's gotta be their funniest song.

walkerw8
07-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I think the meaning or theme of Rosetta Stoned is Listening....and understanding..

Of course he didn't do that. How could he understand? He didn't graduate from highschool afterall!