PDA

View Full Version : lateralus or lateralis?

stattica
11-24-2002, 03:05 PM
how long was it untill they fixed the spelling mistake on the back, i bought my copy of it a few monthes afterit came out, and it still had the spelling lateralis on the back

Fifth
11-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Maybe it wasn't really such a mistake, I also know someone who has the spelling 'Lateralis' on a copy bought recently. Lateralis means non-verbal communication in the animal kingdom i.e Schools of fish that swim in unison use it. Also theres a play on words with the term 'La-te-ralis' which maybe relates to something further...

bLAck and whiTE aRe ALl I See = Lateralis

Hope you find this intresting...

Fifth

povvy
11-24-2002, 03:24 PM
The FAQ has some of the information you want. See the main TDN menu up top.

Patrick.

stattica
11-24-2002, 03:55 PM
well when i first got it, i always thought it was like the song Ænema and the album Ænima, but then a read latter on that it was a spelling mistake...

dissociation
11-24-2002, 05:24 PM
nice overview on the word "lateralis," but it has nothing to do with the album. it was a misprint, and the reason you can find the misprinted version still in stores to this day is because it was a very large misprint - over one million copies. however, "lateralis" is the latin word for "lateral." "lateralus" is a muscle in the body. maynard has expained its meaning.

ragna16
11-24-2002, 08:01 PM
Every copy I ever saw has it spelled lateralis, so I don't think they fixed it.

dissociation
11-24-2002, 10:16 PM
no, trust me, they have. the reprinted version also comes with a small sticker that is transparent with the electrical current art that says "tool lateralus featuring schism the new album."

lat3ralis
11-25-2002, 01:06 AM
My copy is misspelt :)

lat3ralis

sundryan
11-25-2002, 09:48 AM
Fifth, you remind me of those people who, after the Sept. 11th attacks, went around finding anything they could that would relate to the number 11 and insisted it all had some kind of deeper meaning.

Wataru
04-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Fun with Anagrams...

Lateralis = Astral Lie
Lateralus = A Real Slut

Both of these were probably uninentional, but fun to know. (^_^)

Lachrymologist
04-25-2003, 10:10 AM
It could be intentional just like Aenema/Aenima, because the album title and the song title refer to different things.

paraflux
04-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Yes, it could be. Or it could be a simple mistake. Why does it matter so much? The band said it was a mistake, yet the points that Fifth brought up you cant deny are interesting, at least. Why people get so worked up because someone else doesnt have the same thought patterns is beyond me. So what if someone ran around after 9/11 and looked for things related? Of COURSE they will find the things they are looking for. Quantum reality.

Scobularni
05-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Look at the keyboard - the I is next to the U. More evidence that it was a typo.

Martin
05-13-2003, 11:59 AM
I still use "Lateralis" about the song and "Lateralus" about the album to tell them apart, even though "Lateralis" wasn't the intended title.

Alexandra
05-13-2003, 12:07 PM
I think someone said before, that it is a bone or something in the leg. It even says this is the masterpiece that is the FAQ.

On the cover of Palahniuk's "Choke" there is a picture of the human body with all of the anatomical labels. It says: "Vastus Lateralis"

Perhaps the person who made the typo knew this, and erroneously assumed that they meant this. But I still think that it is the typo thing someone said above. And just pure stupidity! Come on production guys, it was the final copy. Obviously TOOL didn't check it.

reign3
05-13-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't think "Lateralus" is even a word that is "real." Real meaning that you won't find it in any dictionaries or anything. The muscle thing has nothing to do with it. And that muscle is not called "lateralus." It was in an interview, I think you can find the article on this site. It's about "lateral thinking," which means thinking "outside the box," "pushing the envelope," "crossing the line," or to sum it all up, going beyond what is thought of as ordinary. That's what I think "Lateralus" means. Look for the article.