PDA

View Full Version : Loneliness/Isolation

Fyrestarter
04-21-2003, 06:13 PM
There's a lot of talk of this song being about relaxation and I can't deny that it does have a calming tone to it. However, I think it goes somewhat deeper than that.

Have you ever had a point in your life where you have a lot of spare time on your hands and nothing to do with it, so you just sort of lie around and reflect? Eventually, you become sort of depressed with your surroundings and you'd rather be out doing something, but there's nothing to do, so you just sort of sit back and wait until something arises that will keep you occupied. Depending on the situation, this may even take days/weeks/months.

During this period of reflection, you're usually attracted to a window or something where you can just sort of relax and observe the outside world in your state of loneliness. Of course, since you have so much time on your hands, you eventually feel like you're just sort of wasting away and watching the weather change instead of actually being out in the world and experiencing it. I think this is what disposition is about.

The lines "Mention this to me. Mention something, mention anything" are his inner pleas for someone to talk to and share experiences with, instead of feeling alone and disconnected from the rest of the world. The line "... and watch the weather change." further illustrates this state in which he is feeling alone and disconnected, because it shows that he feels that he is no longer part of the world around him, but is merely an observer. Also, I believe he says he is watching the weather change, rather than something else, because of all things on the earth, weather is known to change very slowly. Therefore, the fact that he is watching the weather shows that he is in this state for a painfully long and indefinite period of time and is becoming increasingly desperate for the attention of others.

I love this song, because I can relate to it so much. The meaning seems so simple and instinctive, but yet so beautiful and profound at the same time.

XiPHiaS
04-22-2003, 03:03 PM
It's a great song. I think it's about loneliness indeed, but it is so relaxing.

Like if tool is trying to say: relax, don't get desperate. As if this is just a stage that will lead to something more meaningfull (->Reflection->Triad). The weather changes by it self, people don't realize that. Watching it change will make you realize this, it's the change you have to focus on, not the boredom.

Maybe it is about not being able to communicate with people on the same wavelength.

twistedinsanity
05-02-2003, 05:25 AM
while i think u have a good perspective on what disposition means to you..for me its the power of words..of how a simple word or a simple sentence can make your mood and ultimately your life change (hence the lines watch the weather change). For me weather here means the aura we create around us or perhaps our moods and thoughts which can be affected by the mention of something..that something however is different for all of us..

hope i made a lil bit sense

4th Eye
05-04-2003, 06:03 AM
I thought about the loneliness/depression/boredom thing too when I received an e-mail from a friend of mine. She said that she doesn't have anything to say but she sent me a message anyway. And I felt happy. She mentioned something and my weather (=mood) changed from sad to happy.

Just remember your friends, mention anything to them, and it makes them happy. A little positive word could be important for someone who is lonely.

twistedinsanity
05-04-2003, 06:27 AM
im glad what she mentioned made u happy but sad things make the weather change so dramatically. Its amazing how a few words can change ur mood/weather so easily till the point that everything around you becomes steeped in positivity/negativity(depends on what was 'mentioned' to you. What is even more amazing is that tool managed to portray that in such a simple way.

4th Eye
05-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Yeah, there's that change from good to bad too, of course. I meant positive words to mention, not anything. Words can have positive and negative effects and they are really powerful.

Anyway, the sun is shining outside, which makes me happy too! The weather has changed...