PDA

View Full Version : Limp bizkit and opiate

noisetherapy
11-24-2002, 02:30 PM
the local rock station here put this one on the radio once...... limp bizkit covering opiate........ AND THEY ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED THE SONG.... im sure if you go on your mp3 finders you'll find the song....

There should be a law that you shouldnt cover a band if you suck... and now i hate fred durst with a passion.... he ruined a good song

tell me what you think

lamb and martyr
11-24-2002, 03:01 PM
I've heard that cover too and it did make me want to vomit. No band should ever embarass themselves by attempting to cover Tool. However I wouldnt spend too much time worrying about what fred does, just listen to the Tool version of the song and you'll feel better.

Gidget
11-24-2002, 06:36 PM
I have never once in my life considered suicide... until now. Does Fred Durst realize his is a fucking moron?

DeleteYourself
11-25-2002, 04:30 AM
most times i like when bands cover other bands...its a way of saying "hey, you guys rock, so we're gonna play a song of yours in tribute"

but in the case of Limp bizkits cover of opiate.... this does not apply

i have yet to hear a good Tool cover....

manifestcontent
11-26-2002, 09:54 AM
i haven't quite heard the limp bizquick cover of opiate but i can see how it would be desgustingly unpleasant. although i'm going to have to disagree with the few of you that said that tool songs shouldn't be covered. My boyfriend is in a tool cover band called undertow and i think they do an awesome job at covering tool songs. those boys are extremely talented and are in two other bands that do their own original work that is very tool influenced. i think it is unfair to say that bands shouldn't cover tool, unless of course you suck at life like freddy durst.

ProfoundHaytred
11-26-2002, 10:04 AM
they are idiots (LB) they did ruin that song when they covered it. idiots i say, idiots

Useful_Idiot729
11-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Did Maynard really comment on Fred Durst and Kid Rock at the show on the 24th? On the one review i read somebody mentioned he said something directly towards Fred Durst and Kid Rock. I don't know there is also more asshole liars that post reviews about shows then there are of people actually having the right set list posted. Oh, they also posted that Wes B.(former guitarist of Limp Bizkit) was at the show and they had met him there.

Any Comments?

swaps
11-26-2002, 03:03 PM
I'll add this tidbit: Peach covered Hush in their live sets.

Satan
11-26-2002, 08:25 PM
So what? Maybe they did ruin it, but in a sense they have a right to. What kind of a person are you suggesting that just because they suck means they can't cover a good song? At least they made an effort. Tool is all about expressing yourself and doing your own thing. Sure, Tool would probably disagree strongly with Limp Bizkit on many points, but I'm sure they would defend their right for musical experimentation. "no matter how much I disagree with what he has to say, i must defend his right to say it." I'm pretty sure somebody famous said that. I do agree with the fact the cover licked much balls, but again i say so what? People tell me what to say, what to think and what to play. So hush.

disposition8
11-26-2002, 10:39 PM
This isn't speaking for tool directly but if any band really wants to "tribute" tool by doing a cover they wouldnt do a half assed attempt like the limp bizkit version which was complete trash. if you have respect for what tool does, and stands for, or doesnt stand for or whatever then you would atleast listen to the music and see how they treat other bands music when THEY cover it. as musicians they deserve atleast that much respect, and if you cant respect a band enough to cover the song well, don't cover it at all. The no quarter cover was originally meant for a led zeppelin tribute and they walked over how long it should be... I'd like to think that atleast part of that was because they felt that the song needed to be as long as it was to do it justice, to be the TOOL cover of that song, and not just some rehash of the same thing. anyway maybe tool shouldn't say anything about the cover ( I dont think they have actually unless that statement about the live show is true) but as a fan of tool and having heard fred claim he's a fan and respects tool I'd like to think he could show some sort of respect for them. but the guys got an ego bigger than the united states and it's been a pleasure not to have to see his arrogant face anywhere for the last 4-5 months.

Metatron's Cube
11-26-2002, 10:48 PM
Any time I think about Fred, I remember during that Staind song (Outside or whatever) when he says,

"This is the real mutha-fuckin-deal yall. Im feelin those lighters"

He should have that line carved on his tombstone, it so elegantly sums him up.

ProfoundHaytred
11-27-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Satan
So what? Maybe they did ruin it, but in a sense they have a right to. What kind of a person are you suggesting that just because they suck means they can't cover a good song? At least they made an effort. Tool is all about expressing yourself and doing your own thing. Sure, Tool would probably disagree strongly with Limp Bizkit on many points, but I'm sure they would defend their right for musical experimentation. "no matter how much I disagree with what he has to say, i must defend his right to say it." I'm pretty sure somebody famous said that. I do agree with the fact the cover licked much balls, but again i say so what? People tell me what to say, what to think and what to play. So hush.
That is a really good point, we kinda have judged them on their pop-shit status before realizing that they are allowed to cover songs and express themselves musically, even though it doesnt mean they should.

orenge_pop
12-02-2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by JeffElston

There should be a law that you shouldnt cover a band if you suck... and now i hate fred durst with a passion.... he ruined a good song

tell me what you think

i like that, yeah limp bizkit has lots of problems. their biggest deal is that fred has no talent by any stretch of the imagination. He did say tool was the best band in the world ill give him that but they destroy every song they cover, they need to stick with their originals at least their originals allready suck..

rickiep00h
12-02-2002, 08:50 AM
This is for the guy that said he's not heard a good Tool cover:

Check out Staind doing Sober. It's pretty impressive.

Other than that, I think Fred Durst has become a mockery of and a tool for the music industry today. I remember when Bizkit first came out in '97, and I and my friends thought it was pretty impressive. Not as hard as Korn, but not straight hip hop, either. What I know now, though, is that since Fred has all this money, the thinks he can ride his little prankfest for the rest of his life. I don't think that he's figured out yet that LB is nothing without Wes Borland, and that his little bitchy whininess isn't going to sell too many more records, because everyone's sick to death of his misogynistic bitching.

While I give him credit for having an eye for melody, if not talent, in the bands he chooses to help along, he's nothing but a pathetic piece of shit who's obviously in it for the money and the women.

davthelandlord
12-04-2002, 07:28 PM
for this fred needs to be fucked in the ass with a crooked broom stick.

great ajax
12-04-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by rickiep00h
Pardon me while I act a little...well, childish.

Staind fucking sucks. Their cover of Sober fucking sucks. They are terrible. Much like Limp Bizkit, they should be covering POD or some other terrible band, not Tool. Tool should be covered, if at all, by bands who are in it because of the art, the music, the emotion behind the songs. Not the groupies. However, as much as I disagree with them doing so, who the hell are we to say they can't cover it. And to the guy who said that there should be a law that shitty bands can't cover good bands' work.......grow up.

neo_taboolie
12-04-2002, 09:17 PM
When a band has the 'honour' of being covered by another band, it should be for that purpose of saying "you guys rock...". Yet, how can Limp Bizkit, in particular that loser Fred Durst say that he likes Tool and contribute only a piece of shit that is stained with a talentless and pathetic aftertaste that makes me want to garrot him with a piece of piano wire.
For now, I have decided to continue to listen to Tool, and solely Tool, so as to not poison my vocal chords with covers as crap as Opiate by Limp Bizkit.

Ace Starflyer
12-04-2002, 11:12 PM
I agree that Durst sucks the ass, and if he had any shame, which he doesn't, he would be embarrassed about even trying, especially without wes, the only person worth listening to in the band. The fact that they shouldn't have tried doesn't mean anything after the fact, however, and someone would, using this reasoning, be just as justified in silencing Tool as Limp. I think that people can cover songs just in fun, but the original song should really have been made just for the fun of the music as well. Take punk covers of 80s songs. Neither have lyrical or musical value, but i think the stupid/fun spirit of the shitty 80s music converts well into the stupid/fun spirit of the not-as-shitty-but-not-that-good-either punk style. Umm... i guess my point would be that they weren't wrong in trying to cover the song; they were wrong in their half-assed effort and in missing the general spirit of Tool's style and the message of Opiate.

lovejoy-xk
12-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Dead Ohio Sky
I'll add this tidbit: Peach covered Hush in their live sets.

yes, but peach is/was good. and tool covered 'you lied' on salival, so its a fair trade.

Croteau
12-05-2002, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickiep00h

opinions section= my opinion.., i disagree i think the staind cover of sober wasnt that good at all.. For one Aaron lewis didnt even sign the correct words to it, it was very slow, i just didnt enjoy it...maybe others think it was ok, i must say their drummer is pretty good, one of the only reasons i listend to the song all they way through. I respect staind for showing that tool is an influence to them and i even agree with them covering the song, i just didnt think it was that good.

paraflux
12-06-2002, 07:48 AM
I have covered stinkfist. I do think you have to be careful when trying to cover tool song because to make it an inaccurate translation is like half-ass translating a bible from hebrew and saying, that's good enough, they'll get the point (which, by the way, is probably what happened). We made sure we had the bases covered when we covered stinkfist. There were hardly any other songs on the record that all of us could play.

And Staind can kiss my non whining ass.

Peon
12-06-2002, 06:48 PM
Well, I found the song on kazaa. It is truly terrible. It reminded me of when I had an intestinal virus that caused me to vomit shit, real shit. But you gotta give Limp Bizkit kudos for trying.

rickiep00h
12-07-2002, 12:36 AM
First thing... vomiting shit has got to be the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.

Second. I happen to like Staind. Or rather, I like SOME of staind. To say they're in it for groupies is probably one of the more generalized things I've heard, as I know Aaron is married and tours with his wife, and I believe most of the other members are, too. So that's just outright wrong.

I like their first two CDs. They're really quite heavy, and I can put aside Aaron's bitching about his life because they're pretty good songs.

HOWEVER

I don't like most of Break the Cycle because they DID sell out, because they were listening to Fred Durst.

Yes, Aaron sings the wrong words in a couple places. Yes, it's a little slow. But I think any band that can take a song as instantly recognizable as Sober and do it well enough to not get stoned to death by fans of the original band has got the ability to at least play pretty good covers for a living.

I don't know. I didn't say it was perfect, but Joe Blow's Cover Band down at the bar isn't going to give you perfect Skynyrd night after night, either.

48&2
12-07-2002, 02:52 AM
I cant believe half of you guys are showing sympathy towards limp bizkit....Ive had to sit through many a days at school with people raving over bands just like these (POD, Linkin Park etc)....and I am fed up with that shit.....to all Fred Dursts clones I say 'learn to swim'

....oh yeah speaking of POD did you all hear what one of the 'band' members said about Maynard??....Im not going to write exactly what he said but basically he said that MJK makes money out of 'dissing' jesus.....I think hes an idiot and he has missed the point completely.....

spiral out....

Ace Starflyer
12-08-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 48&2
I cant believe half of you guys are showing sympathy towards limp bizkit....Ive had to sit through many a days at school with people raving over bands just like these (POD, Linkin Park etc)....and I am fed up with that shit.....to all Fred Dursts clones I say 'learn to swim'

spiral out....

I don't think anyone has raved over Limp here. Showing sympathy does not equate raving. And, the sympathy, if that's what you choose to call it, is only there to pretty much defend Fred's right to make the music he wants. Or butcher the music he didn't make. The problem is in the fact that Durst sucks dick, and he has no idea what music is about. It's not about money, it's about the message and the acoustic value, and Durst has neither of these. I've listened to "Youth of the Nation" by POD (if you're stuck with only radio, than you've probably listened to it more than is healthy), and that song has something worth listening to. My brother is a huge jusus fan, and the house is filled with really christian mindless shit (read: praise songs... shoot me now). but at least that particular song is defensible. I hate it when people generalize bands and don't take each song as a separate work of art, which it is. Just because most of POD's stuff is cheese doesn't mean one can't glean something useful out of it.

nate
12-08-2002, 04:20 PM
I hated when Limp bizket did Opiate...but I really like StainD's cover of Sober.

Peon
12-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 48&2

....oh yeah speaking of POD did you all hear what one of the 'band' members said about Maynard??....Im not going to write exactly what he said but basically he said that MJK makes money out of 'dissing' jesus.....I think hes an idiot and he has missed the point completely.....

spiral out....
I don't recall Tool ever saying that it's hate that drives humanity. Maybe you missed the message.

Penguin
12-09-2002, 05:03 PM
I'm downloading it right now, just to see how it sounds.

Fred Dursts voice sucks bad.. jeez.. he's the worst singer, if you call that singing.

His tone hardly changes during Opiate, he does nothing with it! Does he say "my Gods will, pits burns!"??? He can't do "we both want to rape you" at all! I won't even start on "Jesus Christ why don't you come save my life now?"

It's horrible, but download it if you want to see how bad they did with it heh.

Hmm.. at the end of my MP3.. it sounds like they're starting Stinkfist.. I mean.. the little static guitar thingy.. anyone know about this?

johno512
12-09-2002, 05:55 PM
haha, limp bizkit=staind=shit music. and they only good tool cover i have heard is my friends band (which i am not a part of for i have no musical talent, yet i find the time to make fun of those who do, sorta. does that make me a "tool") they do stinkfist, eulogy (i sang once), lateralus and part of the patient, as soon as they get it recorded i want to put it on kazaa or some shit, you should all check it out

meh
12-09-2002, 09:35 PM
In the many band interviews I have heard, lots of bands praise tool for inspiring them, L.B. being one of these bands. My thoughts on this issue are A) ya, I don't like L.B. by any means, but I have to hand it to them if they are into tool, because I certainly am as well, B) covering a tool song sounds like a whole hell of a lot of fun to me, not to say that I would be excellent at it, or that I would publicize it, but man, I would have a really good time playing their music, C) maybe they "ruined" the song for most; my suggestion to those most emotionally scared by it is to simply try to block it out and forget, and D) I cannot imagine what they sounded like singing Opiate...but kudos to them anyway.

48&2
12-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Peon

I don't recall Tool ever saying that it's hate that drives humanity. Maybe you missed the message.

First of all this is my opinion NOT TOOL.
Second...I dont recall having said anything about hate in my message 'it's hate that drives humanity'??...remember stupid quotes lead to mindless cliches....

spiral out...

Mark D
12-11-2002, 07:21 PM
In the new section, socialize, look at the thread i started entitled "something wrong" It goes further in depth about the covers of Tool songs by Staind and Limp Bizkit. I have recieved some good replies there. Some have been not what i expected and i think that although the cover of Opiate by Bizkit sucks, we should listen to the opinions that have been expressed. I have been thinking about it, and I think that i can accept the Opiate cover. Its pretty shitty and i dont have an ounce of respect for Durst, but its good to see how other people can experiment with others ideas. Isnt that what we are all doing in this opinion forum anyway?

Ahnijson_films
12-13-2002, 03:51 AM
"There's a handful of bands in this genre that are really fuckin' good. I feel like we're one of them."

"Some band can make something that's so heavy or so melodic and I might come in to bust a rhyme over it, and they're like, "Holy shit, we didn't expect you to do that." Just whenever it's felt, you know what I mean? "

"It's really got a Tool-ish vibe meets Jane's Addiction, you know what I mean? It's really fucking incredible, with a drum solo in the middle of the song, an intense drum solo, but there's a riff going through it. It's crazy. It doesn't sound like anything else. "

"He's [Kid Rock] just a cool guy. He's an old-schooler like me, grew up in hip-hop, and he can flow pretty good when he's just having fun rhymin'. We can just put on beats and write stuff instantly and swing back and forth. It's just a cool chemistry. He's got a cool voice, too. "

Hehehehe... poor guy. What a peice of shit. I love where he describes his songs as having "Tool-ish" vibes, he wishes. I agree with you guys on everyone has they're own right to express themselves in their own way, that's what life is all about. But... with that right comes to responsibility of making fun of the things that suck.

PS - Just to give maybe a little bit of reason to not pull out a shot gun and SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE... here's one last quote he told MTV about TooL

"I can’t even be in a category with that band"

He got something right for once!

rickiep00h
12-13-2002, 05:22 PM
I just hate it when whiny white guys from Florida say "bust a rhyme."

Ahnijson_films
12-15-2002, 05:54 PM
And no, I don't have Kazaa and cannot get it on this computer for awhile. I've looked around for it, but can't find it... can anyone help me? Or email it me? That would be so awesome. Thanks!

realitytrip
12-17-2002, 04:15 AM
I didnt read all posts on this thread so I'm not sure if this has been noted.. but does anyone find it ironic, the obvious meaning of opiate and its ranting on religeon being shoved down our throats.. and fred durst im sure has a song where he is preaching his religeon.

George Bush Sr.
12-28-2002, 11:20 AM
i remember hearing fred say that he was a christian and i can't help but think that he covered the song thinking that the lyrics were serious not sarcastic

Misanthrope
12-30-2002, 12:14 AM
I just downloaded it, and I think I can safely say that it is the worst cover I have ever heard.

theologue
01-08-2003, 05:34 PM
oh man...... listening to limp bizkit trying to play opiate brought tears of sadness to my eyes :(

Necronomicon
01-22-2003, 12:54 PM
The Limp Bizkit cover is horrendous. It's almost as bad as that one Avril Lavigne cover of Chop Suey! I happened upon oneday.

But hey...at least the Staind cover of Sober is halfway decent...too bad Aaron's voice doesn't have much range or expression.

Fruitbar11
01-26-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm not going to get the mp3 because I don't want to have any more of a reason to want to feed Fred Durst to pigs. And yes I wish there was a law against making a cover of a band if you are Fred Durst... or anyone else who sucks.

(My new phrase for suck is now Fred Durst.)

Systolic
01-29-2003, 06:19 AM
Well first of all, I would like to start off by saying that I have thouroughly enjoyed reading this thread.. I always get that warm and fuzzy feeling when people talk shit about Fred Durst... I'm downloading the Opiate cover now.. and I just listened to what I have so far... and I just have one question... WHY? Its WAY too fast, and it has stupid cliche Limp Bizkit beat, if you know what I'm saying.. it has NO originality whatsoever.... I mean I know thats what covers are and all but.. look at Tool's cover of No Quarter.. they kicked ass because they put some Tool flair into it!

Oh my God... what the fuck is he saying???
My God's will pit burn??
WHAT THE FUCK? Is this guy just fucking stupid?
I mean it wasn't THAT bad until I heard that... ( well it was, but that was just the icing on the cake...) I don't even know if I'm going to finish the download or not.. I'm on a fucking 28.8 dial up connection and I don't want to waste away my life hear that moron fuck up one of Tool's finest efforts...

Oh and to the guy who vomited shit... how did it taste? ;)

Convoy_X
02-02-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Gidget
I have never once in my life considered suicide... until now. Does Fred Durst realize his is a fucking moron?

sadly no we should go tell him

dissemblance
02-02-2003, 09:12 PM
i would like to say what an inspiration tool has been in my song writing and penetonics. second, i would like to say that Fred has been the worst artist (if he can be called such) in any music scene! never have i heard such dumbed-down lyrics in my life!---"lets keep rollin rollin rollin keep rollin rollin rollin--etcetra,etcetra. can it get any simpler!

Convoy_X
02-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Hate me if you want but I kinda liked some stuff off the firs CD, but when I ford out what a fuck Durst was I cant stand to here him try to sing/rap waht ever he does.

dissemblance
02-04-2003, 12:34 PM
hey i dont know if you know or if you care,but mettalica,limp suckdic andlinkinpark are touring together. ihave always hated limp and lp but i did like mett(until now)they are dead to me now,fuck!

Aeturnus
02-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Limp Bizkit has to be flatout the worst garbage ever. 3 dollar bill yall I will say admittenly was not a bad album, and had an edge of creativity to it particulary influenced from some pretty good sound fx and guitars. It was an ok album. Its no undertow, aenima, lateralus, opiate by far.

Now they are just fucking garbage. It's like fuck the tribute, tool doesn't need some band whether it be an upcoming band or poprock band to do a cover to know they influence the scene of music. If you cover, do it right. And by god, you'll KNOW when you did it right.

Merkaba
02-08-2003, 09:39 AM
if fred durst ever gets a star on the walk of fame, or any other numetal band does, im gonna do what zach galafinakis did and piss on it. while pissing on fred dursts star im gonna be screaming "whos the boss now bitch?" but it wont be as funny because fred durst wasnt on whos the boss. and i too havent considered suicide as an option, until now...jesus christ

mandruku
07-14-2003, 04:57 PM
ha, i've never heard the cover, although i do intend to go home after work download it ang listen. but what cracks me up, is how so many of you dudes are going crazy because some dork covered a song. i mean, who cares if the completly turned the song into "hit me baby one more time 2" i mean, i like tools music, but in the end it is only 4 dudes making some cool tunes. and people get so emotional about it, like i just got with their mother. for goodness sake get some perspective, i mean, something like 2000 people die a day from malaria, but all you guys care about is someone covering a song not up to your standard, and anyway, should tool be the only ones to be able to fairly judge a song, i mean, i know im probably wrong, but imagine, if tool heard the cover and liked it, i mean i know it won't happen, but if it did (its not IMPOSSIBLE) wouldn't all you guys look like big dicks.

soberwithapenis
07-15-2003, 07:59 PM
i like tools music, but in the end it is only 4 dudes making some cool tunes. and people get so emotional about it, like i just got with their mother.

Bad timming and bad choice of words for the timming. Now if you had said that 5 months ago when this post died...

ObscuredByClouds
08-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Honestly people, who cares? Fred Durst doesn't deserve this much controversy. I'd rather discuss Oprah.

kenobifett
08-15-2003, 08:34 AM
IN the dick-tionary under CHEESEDICK is a pic of durst
anyone who has heard his gay ass rendition of MINISTRY'S
"Thieves" knows what I am talking about . The guy is totally useless.

Zole
08-18-2003, 12:28 PM
This is for the guy that said he's not heard a good Tool cover:

This is a good cover, and it is before staind went to shit.
Also fred durst isnt in this live version of a staind song.
Bi----LOX-----II im feelin those lighters (as high pitched as a male voice can go)
Fuck fred

Zole
08-18-2003, 12:35 PM
if fred durst ever gets a star on the walk of fame, or any other numetal band does, im gonna do what zach galafinakis did and piss on it.

Limp isnt numetal, numetal also isnt the enemy.
Old Staind, and Deftones are awesome, not as good as Tool but stil deserve respect.

Restrain_yourself
08-19-2003, 09:26 PM
I agree that limp bizkit sucks. I agree that SOME covers are lame and lack ingenuit (whether they are of Tool or not). But their is a Tribute to Tool CD that I bought about 4-6 months ago. It is pretty interesting... all of the bands but there own creative twist on the songs and though the songs sound totally different, they all get the lyrics right and like I said before its is the unique things in the song that interest me. Staind doesn't suck..... they blow, and for Deftones I think they are pretty bad ass (have you heard passenger by Def./Tool). Anyways...

peace---------and Goodbye

Zole
08-20-2003, 06:47 AM
I agree that limp bizkit sucks. I agree that SOME covers are lame and lack ingenuit (whether they are of Tool or not). But their is a Tribute to Tool CD that I bought about 4-6 months ago. It is pretty interesting... all of the bands but there own creative twist on the songs and though the songs sound totally different, they all get the lyrics right and like I said before its is the unique things in the song that interest me. Staind doesn't suck..... they blow, and for Deftones I think they are pretty bad ass (have you heard passenger by Def./Tool). Anyways...

peace---------and Goodbye

Dont judge Staind based on their latest 2 albums, pick up Tormented and Dysfunction and you will gain a new respect for them. Passenger is a great track.

Restrain_yourself
08-20-2003, 11:36 AM
The only song i like by staind is HOME but besides that i just don't really like them, respect... yes ok... but i still don't like them. You know what is funny about the song HOME, is like fred durst directed it... haha, funny. Anyways someone talk to me about that "TRIBUTE TO TOOL" CD, i think it is good...

peace-------------and Goodbye

Zole
08-21-2003, 05:58 PM
The only song i like by staind is HOME but besides that i just don't really like them, respect... yes ok... but i still don't like them. You know what is funny about the song HOME, is like fred durst directed it... haha, funny. Anyways someone talk to me about that "TRIBUTE TO TOOL" CD, i think it is good...

peace-------------and Goodbye

Home is not the only good track on that cd. Havent listened to the tribute cd yet, did limp bizkit's opiate make that cd?

Restrain_yourself
08-21-2003, 07:45 PM
No limp bizkit did not make the CD cut... it is a bunch of bands I have never heard of, and some are harder songs and some are faster but every song has a unique sound but you can still tell what tool song it is... most songs on it are ok/decent some suck but a few are good so i recomend picking it up it was like 5 bucks from what i remember... and to finish about Staind, i have respect for their music even the new stuff (look at my thread "Something to think about" in Lateralus section) but i just tend not to listen to them...

peace---------------and Goodbye

clown137
09-12-2003, 07:51 PM
i actually like 3 dollar bill, i know i could get the shit physically kiked out of me if i said that on the street in some places but thankfully that fact that im in the "opinion section" saves my ass. ya there whiny lyrics but lots of bands are angry when they start the sad part about fred is that he just regeritats the same shit and now all his lyrics are just like top 40 get pumped lyrics cuz now there a "rap"band. He has been minding his P's and Q's latley probably becuz he has now been booed off stage. If he does a full 360 abbout the way he acts im pretty sure that will be a maerable piece of history in music.Head line being "fred shuts up"

soul tapp
10-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I agree with you one hundred percent. If you are going to cover a band, you should at least feel it and understand it. Limp Bizshit just destroyed the song by making it fun instead of art. And also the Staid cover really did suck ass. Tool is not acoustic.

Pardon me while I act a little...well, childish.

Staind fucking sucks. Their cover of Sober fucking sucks. They are terrible. Much like Limp Bizkit, they should be covering POD or some other terrible band, not Tool. Tool should be covered, if at all, by bands who are in it because of the art, the music, the emotion behind the songs. Not the groupies. However, as much as I disagree with them doing so, who the hell are we to say they can't cover it. And to the guy who said that there should be a law that shitty bands can't cover good bands' work.......grow up.

neochrist
10-02-2003, 02:23 PM
im not saying im defending limp bizkit or fred durst, actually i think fred durst is a moron, but im not going to sit here and bash on them because i for one liked them when they came out, it sucks fred made them go all rap and thats probably why wes borlin really left, and i'd like anyone to argue that wes borlin is not a good guitar player because not only is he really good he was the band. i just want to point out everybody that i know and probably most of the people in the country that had limp bizkit in there cd player constantly for about two years and now they try to act all cool and be trendy and say they hate limp bizkit, to all you people, shoot yourself, because your the kind of people i dont like, you go with the flow of the world just to experience some sort of acceptance, and you take it way too far.

HollyG
10-06-2003, 03:33 PM
the local rock station here put this one on the radio once...... limp bizkit covering opiate........ AND THEY ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED THE SONG.... im sure if you go on your mp3 finders you'll find the song....

tell me what you think

I totally agree with what you've said. Fortunately for me though, I havn't heard Limp Bizkit'z version of Opiate. There must be some sort of law againts doing a cover of a song if you don't have "permission" or whatever. Limp Bizkit always sucked, well i was never into them, and they're pansies for trying to cover such an amazing and original song. That's all from me!!!

Machiavelli70
10-08-2003, 07:37 PM
I don't believe there's a law over covers. However, I think if you're going to cover a song, you should keep the same underlying theme, but mess with it a little. I think keeping a song wholly intact completely ruins the cover. If your (you referring to the musician) fans want to hear you play something the same way, why not just go listen to the music from some pirating method and skip the step of supporting you. But, if you take a song, and cover it by altering melodies, lyrics, keys, even something so far as time signatures, you not only contribute to the growth of music, but develop your own style.

And as for Limp Bizkit, I haven't heard the cover, and I'm not optomistic. They should have covered Useful Idiot.

BlooReflection696
03-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Aaron is druggy, yay drug song lets cover it, at least 13shades of grey is much more optimistic, but hey guys I know LB ruined Opiate for alot of you, but I can bring it back, a good cov er of Tool..yes good, this band has covered many songs from many albums of tool and coldplay metallica etc. The String Quartet Tribute to Tool. Its all about the music here, obviously..

BlooReflection696
03-30-2004, 11:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000ALFZM/qid=1080673875/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-3231793-7244011?v=glance&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005ORCW/qid=1080673875/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/002-3231793-7244011?v=glance&s=music

sinikal
05-13-2004, 07:53 AM
For those that can't tell, Fred is saying "My God...Pittsburgh!" ..he's apparently saying the name of the town that the concert took place in, which would be why the crowd starts cheering. Other than that, there isn't much else I could add about that douche that hasn't already been covered in this thread.

polly wants a cracker
05-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Fred has said that he listens good bands like Tool and Nirvana (btw. Have you seen his tattoo of Kurt Cobain?). But I think he just want to sound like a cool guy by saying: I like Sonic Youth I am h4rdc0r3....

hailthemaggots
09-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Fred Durst should burn his stupid fucking arse in hell...wanker...i think Maynard's concepts of selling out in "Hooker with a Penis" have been firmly reinforced...

scummonk
09-23-2004, 02:30 PM
the thing that really fucks me off which i havent seen anyone pick up on is the first song off limp bizkits first album, 3 dollar bill y'all.

now fred always goes on how he loves tool.....

well, the intro to me is jus a blatant unintelligent rip off of disgustipated! with a religious like chant, it jus seems like their tryin 2 b weird and like tool and i jus instantly thought that when i heard it played.

burn fred burn......

Cyanide ChrYst
09-25-2004, 03:28 PM
So around mythmas my mom thought it'd be cool to see me wear a hat. So she bought me a red hat. Since it looked stupid forward, and got in the way when I would skateboard, I always put it on backwards.

One time I was wearing the red hat backwards, walking my dog down the street, and he took a huge shit on the ground. It was runny and watery and green since he'd been eating grass all day. A little girl and her mom were in the park nearby, and the girl screamed 'OH MY GOD, MOM! LOOK, IT'S FRED DURST!' and pointed in our direction.

The mom laughed and said, "No no, honey. That dog just took a big shit."

scummonk
09-26-2004, 01:14 PM
So around mythmas my mom thought it'd be cool to see me wear a hat. So she bought me a red hat. Since it looked stupid forward, and got in the way when I would skateboard, I always put it on backwards.

One time I was wearing the red hat backwards, walking my dog down the street, and he took a huge shit on the ground. It was runny and watery and green since he'd been eating grass all day. A little girl and her mom were in the park nearby, and the girl screamed 'OH MY GOD, MOM! LOOK, IT'S FRED DURST!' and pointed in our direction.

The mom laughed and said, "No no, honey. That dog just took a big shit."

lol funny story

i fink fred durst has ruined the wearing of n e red hats now.
forever.
lol

Cyanide ChrYst
09-26-2004, 03:41 PM
fred durst ruined everything. Any time I smoke a joint, I think of fred durst. Any time I apply chapstick, I think of fred durst. His name doesn't even deserve to be capitalized; like diseases.

clown137
09-26-2004, 06:22 PM
im not gonna lie , i love 3 Dollar Bill Ya'll, Limp Bizkits debut, especially Wes's guitar riffs, i actually think Wes had more control on that record and tahts why it sounded way better than there other albums. After 3 Dollar it wasnt really about making music, it was about making "hot tracks" and it went to shit, thank god wes left b4 it was WAY to late.

Cyanide ChrYst
09-27-2004, 06:55 AM
*Cyanide, lone and shirtless, steps from the silent crowd with one mighty stride and slaps Clown with his giant pectoral*

scummonk
09-29-2004, 12:58 AM
*Cyanide, lone and shirtless, steps from the silent crowd with one mighty stride and slaps Clown with his giant pectoral*

that made me laff out loud

Kapoo
10-03-2004, 03:30 AM
most times i like when bands cover other bands...its a way of saying "hey, you guys rock, so we're gonna play a song of yours in tribute"

Staind's cover of Sober was good.

Kapoo
10-03-2004, 03:38 AM
I

spiral out....

what a little bitch i should flogg him. who says dissing anyway

Kapoo
10-03-2004, 03:44 AM
The Limp Bizkit cover is horrendous. It's almost as bad as that one Avril Lavigne cover of Chop Suey! I happened upon oneday.

But hey...at least the Staind cover of Sober is halfway decent...too bad Aaron's voice doesn't have much range or expression.

the avril cover was pretty bad.... well it's not actually her fault that she has no talent and covered a song that sucked already.

Raev'n
10-05-2004, 04:56 PM
I quite like System of a Down. Probably cause im half Hebrew lol.

scummonk
10-06-2004, 05:10 AM
I quite like System of a Down. Probably cause im half Hebrew lol.

Eh?
System Of A Down are amazing, most people i know don't even realise how political they are, they seem as "funny", grrr.
Can anyone gimme a link to this Staind cover?

scummonk
10-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Anyone, anyone at all? Lol

Raev'n
10-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Just go to kazaa or something dude, it has it there.

And yeah, System of a Down are jewish.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-08-2004, 09:07 PM
The sober cover fucking SUCKS.
That big blubbering *** Aaron took a good song and fucking bitched his way through it. He sounds somewhat like maynard when he's singing, but when I listen to the actual song by tool I don't feel like drowning my cats in a bucket of my own fucking piss.

Oh yeah. And anyone who bases their entire band's work off of Jesus or religion, is an unbelievably enormous twank. They think they have the right to be evangelistic pricks, and then if I come out with a song called "Hey, maybe Darwin was onto something", the entire christian faith would picket to ban my album from 'disgracing' the ears of their children.

TheHolyGift
10-10-2004, 04:20 PM
I also quite like System of a Down. They are so much deeper to me than most people seem to realize. Very hard to find someone who understands them at the level the music is meant to be. Too many Nu-metal fans. Damn shame.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I saw them live, and no matter how hard I try, I cant consider them 'music'.

Although I like the song Toxicity a LOT, but only on the album.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-10-2004, 09:44 PM
You have such a pretty mouth...

scummonk
10-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Why do you hate SOAD so much?

The first album is great.

Cyanide ChrYst
10-11-2004, 06:36 AM
I dont hate them. But I saw them open for some other band back when they first started, and it was just terrible. It's like they werent even trying.

AllforUnity
10-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Eh. l like 'em.

Raev'n
10-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I love the way they move on stage. It's great. They do all those crazy hand movements and shit and sway and just go all crazy-like.

IC
10-13-2004, 05:30 PM
I dont hate them. But I saw them open for some other band back when they first started, and it was just terrible. It's like they werent even trying.
yeah their guitarist is always drunk off his ass..

but X and science and whatever is after science and needles all rawk

ÆNIMA69
11-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Oh ya?!

varg
11-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, I found the song on kazaa. It is truly terrible. It reminded me of when I had an intestinal virus that caused me to vomit shit, real shit. But you gotta give Limp Bizkit kudos for trying.
You know, in Sweden we call that "fekala kräkningar".

killershears
11-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Sorry to flame tons of people, but I think that everyone that loves SOAD's first album and nothing else are MORONS. Hell even Toxicity. People who hate SOAD's new stuff I guess have trouble seeing the HUGE creative progression? It wasn't hard to see for me at all. SOAD are not fake, and they make plenty of great songs.

solomonarul
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Sorry to flame tons of people, but I think that everyone that loves SOAD's first album and nothing else are MORONS. Hell even Toxicity. People who hate SOAD's new stuff I guess have trouble seeing the HUGE creative progression? It wasn't hard to see for me at all. SOAD are not fake, and they make plenty of great songs.
you still have good tastes, son. keep it up!

solomonarul
11-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Tool is my favorite, but I'm really getting into SOAD right now. Hynotize will easily hold me over until the new Tool album.

Current Favorite Bands:
1. Tool
2. System Of A Down
3. Audioslave
you don't have good tastes.

eksyte
12-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Listening to Fred Durst on the mic is like looking at Horton on that fucking egg. (Yes, that is a Dr. Suess reference.)

Sure, no one can tell them not to cover it, but they damn sure can't force anyone to LIKE it.

What's next - 50 Cent doing a remix of Push It?

EDIT:
The whole SoaD thing is lame, too. They're brilliant (both musically and lyrically) and it's sad that so few people realize what they're actually getting at with most of their songs. My girlfriend hated BYOD until she understood the words.

And yeah... Mesmerize was leaps and bounds better than any of their previous works. I'm not sure what happened on Hypnotize, tho.

Renholder
01-16-2006, 11:33 PM
The Sober cover is bareable and the Opiate cover is absolutely atrocious but I don't think it equals in magnitude of suckiness as the Orestes Cover by Evanascence...those of you who have not heard it, consider yourselves lucky.

Khastra_KSC
01-26-2006, 03:47 AM

my band is gonna do a TOOL cover. ya know, just for the hell of it. I think we have a good shot at doing a good one. my voice isn't EXACTLY like maynard's, but I can get the general style since I taught myself to sing by listening and singing along to TOOL, among others. I am gonna post a recording of the cover if we do it so I can prove that it can be done well!!!!

Naga Royal Guard
01-27-2006, 06:55 PM
i cant believe this thread continues on

TurdEye13
01-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Me neither

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Personally I don't think anyone can pull off a worthy Tool cover......LIMP BIZKIT IS FUCKING FAY!!

DispReflTri78
04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
What's next - 50 Cent doing a remix of Push It?

YO YO YO YO AS I CLAW YO FUCKIN THROAT AWAY BITCH HA HA SHADY/AFTERMATH!

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Personally I don't think anyone can pull off a worthy Tool cover......LIMP BIZKIT IS FUCKING FAY!!

As FAY as they get.

PoeticJustice
10-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Just go to kazaa or something dude, it has it there.

And yeah, System of a Down are jewish.

no they're Armenian actually

opiated
11-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I like how this thread's title runs up to you and just cracks you in the fucking head. I read the words and I've got a migraine now. I don't know if I should blame Wet Triscut or the threadstarter for it.

I don't get why people even bothered to download the song (or any other Tool cover mentioned in this thread). Or can't you read? You could guess what it sounded like from the title. And what is that sound? That's right. It's like a Saint Bernard dragging its ass on sandpaper.

morethanmusic
11-29-2006, 07:16 PM

oh yeah, even Limp Beezy has a right to cover Tool, but that doesn't mean that any person has to like it or even be okay with it. I heard their version and said: out loud: alone: "I am not okay with this. Why would Fred Durst think that he could pull this off?"

I was trying to masturbate to girls shaking their bottoms on youtube, when I decided that I would listen to a live tool song before I got down to business...I saw the Durst video and I couldn't wank my willy for like 20 minutes after seeing it. My point? I kind of have a personal vendetta against the song, so I guess my opinion is null and void.

mtm