PDA

View Full Version : Figurative vs Literal

slowmo
06-25-2006, 09:42 AM
When attempting to extrapolate the meaning of "Rosetta Stoned"; there are two major methods of disection: Figurative, and Literal. Figurative disection will take a long time to come up with a conclusion, if any at all. Figurative meanings focus on ambiguities, which can have multiple meanings.

For the focus of this thread, I choose not to digress into figurative meanings;(for now) and explore the literal, and less vague.

I am by no means assuming or insinuating any of my thoughts or opinions are correct, but please feel free to agree or disagree.

Here are some of my 'literal' interpretations of "Rosetta Stoned":

The song is about an abduction experience, dealing with Extra Terrestrials. The protagonist is given an important message from the ET's; but doesn't clearly remember it. The protagonist has a hard time believing what has happened (peeing pants; holy fucking shit; this shit never happens to me), and what has been said (details of our ending), due to the fact he or she has done drugs before (dead head chemistry). An important message was given by ET, but not remembered by the protagonist. Saying "Shit the bed" is kinda like saying "Gosh dangit" in a literal sense. The protagonist is frustrated with forgetting the message ET gives him.

Let's also take into account feedback Maynard has given on the Toolband website. Maynard stated the protagonist is not himself. Maynard has also made clear that this person is someone he and the band knows. The most important part of Maynard's feedback, are his trip reports. Maynard says he has been to Area 51, has been gassed, has seen experimental aircraft ect. Obviously Maynard has an interest about ETs and UFOs, and has been to the area surrounding Area 51. The protagonist in the song says he or she is outside Area 51, before meeting up w/ET.

To paraphrase: Maynard's acquaintance met up with ET somewhere in the neighborhood of Area 51, and subsequently was told an important message that he unfortunately forgot.

SO!!! The main point is: Maynard is acknowledging the existance of ET's, and that they have something important to tell us. I truly believe this to be "THE" important message in the song.