PDA

View Full Version : any gee-tar-ists?

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
06-23-2006, 10:17 PM
try playing this 1/2 step down. i like the heavier touch, myself.

Dolophane
06-23-2006, 11:19 PM
I never really equated low tuning with heaviness. This song packs all the necessary heavy at good ole drop D.

mr. nikki jensen
06-23-2006, 11:31 PM
yea, Drop D's is the way it should be

Systolic
06-23-2006, 11:33 PM
This song is so damn easy its ridiculous.

I dont enjoy playing it at all, really.

Dolophane
06-23-2006, 11:35 PM
This song is so damn easy its ridiculous.

I dont enjoy playing it at all, really.
I take it you don't play Tool songs much at all, then, eh? It's not like Jones is Yngwie or anything...

Systolic
06-23-2006, 11:38 PM
I take it you don't play Tool songs much at all, then, eh? It's not like Jones is Yngwie or anything...

I can play:

Sober
Prison Sex
4 Degrees
Flood
Stinkfist
46&2
Aenema
Third Eye
The Grudge
Pushit (Live)
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Schism
Lateralus
Triad
Jambi
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned

If you dont believe, ask Foamy. He's heard me play.

If I wanted to play all of the songs, I could. Not all of them appeal to me though... and Tool tends to recycle riffs a lot.

Terry21
06-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm impressed what you can play dude! You're my personal god now!!!!

Systolic
06-24-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm impressed what you can play dude! You're my personal god now!!!!

Is that sarcasm?

I really can't tell.

Terry21
06-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Is that sarcasm?

I really can't tell.

Yes it was.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I dont understand how Adam can keep his cool at the beginning of Lateralus. I cant fight the urge to join in on the Drum/bass beat in the background when playing along with recordings. Theres so much energy behind the intro to that song.

Systolic
06-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Yes it was.

It shouldn't be.

RedMetalSox
06-24-2006, 12:48 PM
I can play:

Sober
Prison Sex
4 Degrees
Flood
Stinkfist
46&2
Aenema
Third Eye
The Grudge
Pushit (Live)
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Schism
Lateralus
Triad
Jambi
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned

If I wanted to play all of the songs, I could. Not all of them appeal to me though... and Tool tends to recycle riffs a lot.

Ok thats cool and all but Jones isn't a great guitarist, try playing some Arch Enemy or Opeth...

Dolophane
06-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I can play...
Err...I think you completely musunderstood what I said. I can play every Tool song, but it's not like I do it on a regular basis. I guess I'll walk ya through it.

You said that this song was easy and as such you don't enjoy playing it. However, pretty much all of Tool's songs are easy for guitar, some of the ones you listed are even easier than Jambi. So when I said you probably don't play Tool songs very often, it was due solely to the fact that you apparently don't waste time playing easy songs. Had absolutely nothing to do with you or your guitar abilities.

Dig?

Terry21
06-24-2006, 01:13 PM
By the way, I think what Jones is playing here time signature-wise makes fun for even the greatest musical genious here, which I don't think Mr. Icanplayeverything is.

Systolic
06-24-2006, 03:09 PM
By the way, I think what Jones is playing here time signature-wise makes fun for even the greatest musical genious here, which I don't think Mr. Icanplayeverything is.

Try Dream Theater.

Strictly in terms of playing Dream Theater > All.

AMF
06-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Try Dream Theater.

King Crimson is harder.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Ive almost got a slight grasp of the first 4 measures of the interlude to "In the Name of God" thats tricky. I love the intro to the interlude, thats fun to play.

PriceisRight
06-24-2006, 06:38 PM
I can play:

Sober
Prison Sex
4 Degrees
Flood
Stinkfist
46&2
Aenema
Third Eye
The Grudge
Pushit (Live)
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Schism
Lateralus
Triad
Jambi
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned

FREE BIRD!!!

MisterMudd
06-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Try Dream Theater.

Learned how to play Dance of Eternity on guitar, still learning it on bass. Problem is the bass solo trips me up.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah I was working on that one for a little, then I got bored and switched to Stream of consiousness, now im alternating between ITNOG and Stream of consiousness.

Systolic
06-24-2006, 09:16 PM
I can play Erotomania... FUN song.

imatoolhed
06-24-2006, 09:26 PM
i can play show tunes

RedMetalSox
06-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Dream Theater is [no] as Liberatchi pr what how ever the fuck you spell ir...[no] [no] [no] [no]

Systolic
06-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Just because you can't play it doesn't mean it sucks. I guarantee that you can't compare to any of the musicians in DT, and even if you can, you aren't in as tight of a group as they are. Even if you hate the sound, respect what they do, because they are damn good at it.

Tunguska
06-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Hard or not hard to play, dont matter anyways.
Its about the songs!!!
Write a song as good as any Tool song.
Then you can talk!

æmoeba•°·.
06-25-2006, 12:08 AM
It's really not too hard to play Tool songs, some, but matching the techniques and effects are almost, sometimes, impossible. For example:

I can play the song "H." on guitar, but getting the pick scrapping with a certain amount of delay is hard, along with the strange rhythmnatic/ melodic solo near the ending that leads into the ending chorus is quite hard to match as well.

Some of you don't grasp how hard it is to emulate the way Adam plays and how he switches from effects pedal to effects pedal during all of this.
___

As for Jambi, It may not be seriously hard to play until you get to the rhythmnatic/ melodic solo. The effects Adam uses - Phaser, Whammy, and High Distortion - makes for an even harder time trying to emulate because the settings for the effects aren't even overlayed, so that means Adam is playing it all at one time.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
06-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Um, wow. Just wow.

æmoeba•°·.
06-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Um, wow. Just wow.

What do you mean?

Terry21
06-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Try Dream Theater.

Dream Theater is my favorite band, I can sing all their albums by heart. The thing is there is so much hidden complicated stuff in Jambi that is DT level.

For example, just before the bass plays that "Shine on forever" riff first time, there is some rythm and when the bass kicks in, in the left speaker Adam plays the same rythm over a different time signature (palm muted or whatever, I'm not a gee-tarist). Try that!

RedMetalSox
06-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Just because you can't play it doesn't mean it sucks. I guarantee that you can't compare to any of the musicians in DT, and even if you can, you aren't in as tight of a group as they are. Even if you hate the sound, respect what they do, because they are damn good at it.
are you talking to me...I didn't say they "suck" i said they're as [no] a Liberatchi

implandnoises
06-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I think maybe it was a bad idea calling guitarists in here. I am a bass player, I don't give a fuck what bullshit Jones riffs you can play or if you can sweep pick as emotionlessly as Petrucci. What I want to know is, can any of you fucking groove?

UFOtofu
06-25-2006, 08:08 AM
I think maybe it was a bad idea calling guitarists in here. I am a bass player, I don't give a fuck what bullshit Jones riffs you can play or if you can sweep pick as emotionlessly as Petrucci. What I want to know is, can any of you fucking groove?

Word! I can groove. I throw down the bassline to The Pot every morning. Love it! Still working on the Wings groove, and haven't gotten to Jambi yet...but it's on the list.

thepatient_10k
06-26-2006, 08:41 AM
petrucci strives to be a great guitarist not musician. Hes not the best musician but thats because hes studied the guitar and not theory (and all that fun stuff) for the majority of his life. His sweeps may not have emotion, but as long as hes having a great time doing it who cares :)

And i dont care what you guys say, adam jones is a brilliant guitarist. No one can create textures and controlled feedback like him. Just learning a tool tab isnt good enough really, you have to listen to the song for the effects and the placement of feedback and junk like that. On stage adam spends a lot of his time creating feedback and soundeffects rather then playing the guitar like most players.

DON IOTAE
06-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I can play Erotomania... FUN song.
I'm not a guitarrist (I'm a drummer myself...) but Erotomania is a fresh song. Love it. I'm also a big DT fan. I personally think that the drumming is hard as hell, and the guitar as well. Petrucci is definitely a technically superior guitarrist, but is kinda like textbook guided. Needs more style or inspiration. Then again, he does write the best lyrics amongst his teammates....

Cheers.

DON IOTAE
06-26-2006, 08:50 AM
I agree with what implandnoises said, "Petrucci plays emotionlessly". He's good though. No doubt aboot it.

Isac Khrondor
06-26-2006, 09:14 AM

I take it you've never heard SikTh or Dillinger Escape Plan?

Dream Theater is basic cheesy rock music with insane soloing inbetween.

SikTh for example, is insane quirky soloing, no cheesy chord progressions, and time sigs that blow dream theater out of the water

stevejols
06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
It is about the writing to whoever put the list of tool songs he can play. That is great you can play them but you didn't write them. And the riffs themselves might be easy to write but to put it in context with the rest of what is going on... Forget about it.

Terry21
06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah, this thread is about the playing though. As far as I can remember nobody said Tool are bad. :p I'm still thinking Jambi is hard to play signature-wise. And Petrucci has got emotions... He stole 'em from David Gilmour though.

DON IOTAE
06-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Just like Adam is more into the plastic arts, but yet a guitarrist; Petrucci is more into writing lyrics; but yet a guitarrist.

I'll have to listen to SikTh...

Systolic
06-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I take it you've never heard SikTh or Dillinger Escape Plan?

Dream Theater is basic cheesy rock music with insane soloing inbetween.

SikTh for example, is insane quirky soloing, no cheesy chord progressions, and time sigs that blow dream theater out of the water

I saw DEP live.

1) They suck.

2) They are stupid.

I dont want to see a show wherethey hit each other over theads with guitars and throw water bottles outinto their own tech booth... (which is what they did on Gigantour last year in Atlanta) The toured with Dream Theater, and I heard more people screaming "DILINGER SUCKS! WE WANT DT!" than I heard people actually cheering for the band.

Isac Khrondor
06-27-2006, 02:40 AM
It doesn't change the fact that the first 15 seconds of a DEP song has a harder time sig than DT.

It doesn't suprise me one bit that Dream Theater fans can't handle anything that strays from pure traditional cheese metal.

DON IOTAE
06-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Chill, chill!

We all now DT pwns DEP, or SikTh, so what's the problem?

*lol*

Isac Khrondor
06-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Don't you mean know, not now?

Anyway, DT are lame, SikTh at least, is a far better band.

DON IOTAE
06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
right, know.

where is SikTh from, anyways?

PS: how did you do the italic font?

DON IOTAE
06-27-2006, 07:59 AM
DT is not lame. SikTh may be better in your world, but in anyone's world, DT is never lame. It's just a fact of life!

smirk
06-27-2006, 08:12 AM
I think they're lame, haven't heard a lot of thier stuff but they bore the shit outta me

Kenny G has awsome chops too, who cares

record sales and chops are NOT indicators of quality

DON IOTAE
06-27-2006, 08:16 AM
I think they're lame, haven't heard a lot of thier stuff but they bore the shit outta me

Kenny G has awsome chops too, who cares

record sales and chops are NOT indicators of quality
totally agree with the last part. totally. for sure. ok?

and, yeah, DT is not for everyone... ;)

theprosperone
06-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Jeez stop arguing about guitar. Dream Theater, Dillinger Escape Plan and the other death metal bands mentioned here all fucking suck. Also I'm better than anyone who expressed a guitar ego in this thread so you can just shut the fuck up or we can battle it out guitar duel style if you're man enough to post clips of your playing. Otherwise just shut up. Tool's guitar work isn't supposed to be super hard and technical. Stop trying to act like you're badass because you can talk down about it, it really just means that you need excuses to make yourself feel like you're good at guitar.

That post was rather sarcastic but jesus christ, look at the thread you guys have created....it is so sad.

Isac Khrondor
06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
right, know.

where is SikTh from, anyways?

PS: how did you do the italic font?

SikTh are from England, they're a kind of crazy hardcore-metal-tech-prog thing.

For the italics you just have to use the tags.

Kurt Russell
06-27-2006, 01:40 PM
DEP and Sikth are two of my favorite bands. I've been playing a lot of their stuff lately. fun fun fun.

Kurt Russell
06-27-2006, 01:43 PM
oh yeah and dream theater sucks big balls

big ones

StereoScopicLenses
06-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Hard or not hard to play, dont matter anyways.
Its about the songs!!!
Write a song as good as any Tool song.
Then you can talk!

exactly... jsut b/c people can easily play adam jone's riffs. doesn't mean you can write songs like that.

DON IOTAE
06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
thanks, krond.

On another note: How can you people say that DT sucks? Oh, ok, I get it. Your attention span is short, and an average DT song clocks in at 13 min...

OK.

DON IOTAE
06-27-2006, 03:50 PM
the prosperone needs some lovin.

Isac Khrondor
06-28-2006, 02:17 AM
On another note: How can you people say that DT sucks? Oh, ok, I get it. Your attention span is short, and an average DT song clocks in at 13 min...

OK.

You've got it all wrong, it's not that I can't keep my attention on it, it's just boring and goes nowhere half the time, most of the music I listen to is long and progressive, you're buying into a typical Dream Theater fan persona by making acusations like that.

People don't like them because they are just to damn cheesy, and boring.

The song 'Home' for example, it begins pretty good, has some great moments at the beggining, then they just give in to the cheese and the song becomes shit untill it gets back to the slightly eastern sounding riffs.

And the ballads they do.. fucking hell are they crap.

kingred
06-28-2006, 02:35 AM

i can play the groove by muse. download that son of a bitch. listen to it.

thats guitaring

DON IOTAE
06-28-2006, 06:32 AM
You've got it all wrong, it's not that I can't keep my attention on it, it's just boring and goes nowhere half the time, most of the music I listen to is long and progressive, you're buying into a typical Dream Theater fan persona by making acusations like that.

People don't like them because they are just to damn cheesy, and boring.

The song 'Home' for example, it begins pretty good, has some great moments at the beggining, then they just give in to the cheese and the song becomes shit untill it gets back to the slightly eastern sounding riffs.

And the ballads they do.. fucking hell are they crap.
Ok, the attention thing span was a joke. Sorry you didn't get it, but we are on a Tool forum where tool songs can last up to 15 min... :)

Why cheesy? The lyrics? Ok, I'll give you taht. the lyrics can sometimes be cheesy. but boring? I'm sorry, no. that's where your quality of attention might be lacking. but hey, there are different tastes in the world...

"Home" is incredible. No further comments.

I have a friend who plays some death metal, or melodic metal, or wtf you call it (which is music I don't like), and he says the same thing as you. He also says that DT's music is for people who appreciate music, kinda like the folks who sit down and listen to classical music, and I'm like, wtf, so boring. but still good music. also, I guess my friend is more open and honest with me since weve known each other for years.

Hey, "through her eyes" is hardly a sucky ballad. but hey, if you think their regular stuff is boring, then for sure you'll discard the ballads as somethiing worse...

PS: have you heard "panic attack" on 8VM?

Terry21
06-30-2006, 12:50 AM
It's funny, I came to Tool through Dream Theater and now on a Tool forum nobody likes them. They're my perfect band, I like them for the songs, not for the time signatures, they do incredible metal music, the only real, clear, true metal music nowadays. You can't compare Tool to them though, but I find it kinda sad how the Tool fans are like Hip-Hop fans, they're not music fans, they're calling other metal bands "cheesy". Only because Tool is dark?

Dianoetic
06-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard Dreamtheater's attempt at making a tool song, new millenium? Jesus christ that song is pathetic. All I can say is atleast tool arn't lame enough to try and produce a DT song.

kingred
06-30-2006, 01:04 AM
im not an r&b fan, i cant stand it.
deffo metal :)

Terry21
06-30-2006, 01:13 AM
im not an r&b fan, i cant stand it.
deffo metal :)

I met a boy, wearing vans...

DON IOTAE
06-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard Dreamtheater's attempt at making a tool song, new millenium? Jesus christ that song is pathetic. All I can say is atleast tool arn't lame enough to try and produce a DT song.
wtf? falling into infinity came way before XKD... get your facts straight. And that album doesn't count as true DT: Derek Sherinian was there... ;)
It's funny, I came to Tool through Dream Theater and now on a Tool forum nobody likes them. They're my perfect band, I like them for the songs, not for the time signatures, they do incredible metal music, the only real, clear, true metal music nowadays. You can't compare Tool to them though, but I find it kinda sad how the Tool fans are like Hip-Hop fans, they're not music fans, they're calling other metal bands "cheesy". Only because Tool is dark?
Absolutely. I was first a Tool fan, but DT later caught my ear because of their good solid honest performance. I want to state that I am a music fan...

Cheers

implandnoises
06-30-2006, 08:52 AM
i can play the groove by muse. download that son of a bitch. listen to it.

thats guitaring
Muse is a lovely exciting wee threesome isn't it? I have been informed that said guitarist can play all those excellent lines while jumping around like a madman on stage. That kind of act is always impressive.

implandnoises
06-30-2006, 08:53 AM
wtf? falling into infinity came way before XKD... get your facts straight.

You are just asking for trouble with this comment....

Systolic
06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Its true though.

Dream Theater can kick Tool's ass into tomorrow techincally.

Bottom line.

smirk
06-30-2006, 09:03 AM
again, chops and sales are not idicators of quality

and I'd put Danny Carey up against anyone for that matter

DON IOTAE
06-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I dont get it. the guy said that a tool song (Vicarious, i presume) sounds like new millenium, which is true, but is a coincidence. My point is, DT was not "making" a tool song... this guy Diaonetic needs to get his head out of his ass.

So whats your deal, implandnoises?

DON IOTAE
06-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Its true though.

Dream Theater can kick Tool's ass into tomorrow techincally.

Bottom line.
Exactly. I don't know about the second line, but yeah. and I remember hearing Portnoy talking once about doing a rhythm section a little like tool... that's what i love about DT, they rip off other music, but end up making it original in the end. rock on.

ArizonaBay
07-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I really cant listen to DT. They may be good musicians but they have no SOUL. They seem to have forgotten what music is about. DEP have alot of soul yeah its loud and i cant listen to much of it, but the passion on calculating infinity is infectious, how that band play music that technical without losing that edge is beyond me.

Do you DT fans like Opeth? death metal vocals aside that band can conjour up more beauty and melancholy in a song than a million DTs.

This stuff is far more important to me when listening to music than the technical side. If its technical too thats a bonus.

All this is just opinion of course.

Terry21
07-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Opeth is one of my favorite bands too. I absolutely love the growling, but I disagree in DT having no soul. You have to listen to their music more and closer. Their music is passionate, it's everything what they want to do. And I don't think heavyness = soul. Everybody can write heavy riffs. DT's songwriting is just great, it sums up my musical taste perfectly.

DON IOTAE
07-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Thank you, Terry21

DON IOTAE
07-02-2006, 09:45 AM
wtf

implandnoises
07-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I dont get it. the guy said that a tool song (Vicarious, i presume) sounds like new millenium, which is true, but is a coincidence. My point is, DT was not "making" a tool song... this guy Diaonetic needs to get his head out of his ass.

So whats your deal, implandnoises?
Hi, sorry, let me explain. Although the intro to New Millennium sounds similar to the Vicarious intro which came 10 years later, there are other parts of the song which are very Toolish, like certain tracks off Aenima. As you probably know New Millennium was released in 1997 (after Aenima). Now, you also probably know that in 2002, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was released with a track called The Great Debate. This was called a tribute to Tool. John Myung said the original riff was inspired by listening to Aenima. Now, maybe it is possible that New Millennium too, was inspired by Tool? (Aswell as others such as King Crimson, Pantera and Rush).

Edit: Actually, after re-reading Diaonetic's post, I see your point. Talking about an old DT song that sounds a bit like a new Tool song and saying that Tool aren't lame enough to do a song like DT. It is a bit ironic...

implandnoises
07-05-2006, 02:37 AM
I saw DEP live.

1) They suck.

2) They are stupid.

I dont want to see a show wherethey hit each other over theads with guitars and throw water bottles outinto their own tech booth... (which is what they did on Gigantour last year in Atlanta) The toured with Dream Theater, and I heard more people screaming "DILINGER SUCKS! WE WANT DT!" than I heard people actually cheering for the band.
I own Miss Machine by The Dillinger Escape Plan, I think it is fucking awesome. It also came with a DVD of live footage. Yeah they are a bit crazy, but I don't give a fuck, that's entertaining too. You sound like the kind of guy who would have written off the genius of Nirvana for their onstage antics.

Now lets compare that madness to the beauty of Petrucci's stage persona. "Excuse me while I stand here like a statue and gently move my hands precisely, but I must play these tremendously difficult songs with perfection because... well, I guess, without this, I am nothing."

implandnoises
07-05-2006, 04:09 AM
Don't get me wrong though, I love Dream Theater, The Dance of Eternity has to be one of my favourites. Also, John Petrucci isn't that boring live, he has his own thing, the facials are great.

DON IOTAE
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Don't get me wrong though, I love Dream Theater, The Dance of Eternity has to be one of my favourites. Also, John Petrucci isn't that boring live, he has his own thing, the facials are great.
*rofl*

Hi, sorry, let me explain. Although the intro to New Millennium sounds similar to the Vicarious intro which came 10 years later, there are other parts of the song which are very Toolish, like certain tracks off Aenima. As you probably know New Millennium was released in 1997 (after Aenima). Now, you also probably know that in 2002, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was released with a track called The Great Debate. This was called a tribute to Tool. John Myung said the original riff was inspired by listening to Aenima. Now, maybe it is possible that New Millennium too, was inspired by Tool? (Aswell as others such as King Crimson, Pantera and Rush).

Edit: Actually, after re-reading Diaonetic's post, I see your point. Talking about an old DT song that sounds a bit like a new Tool song and saying that Tool aren't lame enough to do a song like DT. It is a bit ironic...

Holy MF SHIT! The Great Debate, a tribute to Tool??? No fuckin' wonder that song kicks mofo ass!!! I didn't know that...

Now I understand the NM dilemma. I don't know about that... I'll listen to it again and get back to you ;) And yeah, Dianoetic's post was way off base...

jakesstuff_69
07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
exactly... jsut b/c people can easily play adam jone's riffs. doesn't mean you can write songs like that.

Dude all it takes is the tiniest bit of acid, and you can write up some good music that'll impress anybody. the challenge is find a group that likes to write new shit all the time. Everyone is soo focused on trying to play other peoples shit, that its like they only use the guitar to pick up chicks, which works its pwn wonders, by the way. But I thought the idea of learning to play a guitar was so that you can make shit sound as good as you want it to, not how some other person wants it to sound. Which is why I hate DT. Sure good musicians and all but their vocalist annoys me.

I've never heard of sikTH, tell me some more about their sound.

smeefsmeef
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Dude all it takes is the tiniest bit of acid, and you can write up some good music that'll impress anybody..

acid makes shit impress anybody on acid. Useful Idiot sounds like God's voice while tripping. Acid doesn't make writing music better, it makes listening better... unless it's a bad trip... then it sucks. Syd Barret got kicked out of Pink Floyd because the 'cid fucked up his music. It doesn't make you more creative, it just deludes you into thinking that way... btw... I miss tripping.

jakesstuff_69
07-07-2006, 11:49 AM
acid makes shit impress anybody on acid. Useful Idiot sounds like God's voice while tripping. Acid doesn't make writing music better, it makes listening better... unless it's a bad trip... then it sucks. Syd Barret got kicked out of Pink Floyd because the 'cid fucked up his music. It doesn't make you more creative, it just deludes you into thinking that way... btw... I miss tripping.

Then tell me why it sound the same way it did when I was up as when I listened to the recording of it. And it all sounds like just a masterwork of all of the influences I have in music. The only thing that's different, is now that I'm down I can't play as fast without getting fatigue in the arm. Where if I was tripping I could sit and play super fast shit for 6 to 10 hours pretty much straight, with the occasional rampage outside with the machete and feel no resistance from my muscles. Maybe ifyoutake a lot of it and keep doing it over andover you'll get delusional and think something sound good that might just be an hour of feedback. But if you take it like I said, a tiny little bit, then none of that shit should happen.
Whatever though..

Blanket_509
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Syd didn't get kicked out of Floyd, he took too much acid over a long period of time, got bugged out and left the band to become a recluse. Dave Gilmour still considers Syd one of music's greatest geniuses. I don't agree, but I respect his opinion because he's Gilmour.

theprosperone
07-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Dude all it takes is the tiniest bit of acid, and you can write up some good music that'll impress anybody. the challenge is find a group that likes to write new shit all the time. Everyone is soo focused on trying to play other peoples shit, that its like they only use the guitar to pick up chicks, which works its pwn wonders, by the way. But I thought the idea of learning to play a guitar was so that you can make shit sound as good as you want it to, not how some other person wants it to sound. Which is why I hate DT. Sure good musicians and all but their vocalist annoys me.

I've never heard of sikTH, tell me some more about their sound.

This is not true. Acid or not, it takes musical talent, ability and creativity to write good music.

Lots of people take acid or whatever other drugs and still play shit music.

I do like me some acid though, nothing against the drug. I'm just saying that if you don't have good songwriting in you, acid isn't going to put it there either.

smeefsmeef
07-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Syd Barret owned PF

smeefsmeef
07-08-2006, 08:26 PM
tuning dropped D 1/2 step down is A Perfect Circle's favorite tuning

PriceisRight
07-22-2006, 10:35 PM
How bout we all just agree to disagree. Don't worry about making others see the taste of music you have...just enjoy it yourself and STFU!

also I just went to listen to sikTh.....I liked it.

Tape_Dispenser
07-22-2006, 10:43 PM
tuning dropped D 1/2 step down is A Perfect Circle's favorite tuning

Not really

guitarpete987
07-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Muse is a lovely exciting wee threesome isn't it? I have been informed that said guitarist can play all those excellent lines while jumping around like a madman on stage. That kind of act is always impressive.

Indeed. Muse's guitarist is awesome. I'm glad others on here feel this way also. They are an incredible band. Might be a little on the soft side for a lot of people on here but Muse is I think one of the top 10 groups currently existing.

guitarpete987
07-23-2006, 11:54 AM

I was going to say this before I realized someone else had already done so. I am a guitarist, and while I can learn to play crazy-hard riffs and solos and have fun doing so, there's nothing as satisfying or rewarding as coming up with a really cool, simple riff -- one that doesn't sound like anybody else because it sounds like you. Because THAT is harder than learning any blazing fast solo or mind bendingly complex rhythmic passage.

And that's why Adam Jones excels. Yeah they may be simple, but they don't really sound like anyone except Adam Jones. Some have suggested Jambi has Meshuggah-ish tendencies, and as a Meshuggah fan I'm going to say mmmmmmaybe but it's REALLY a stretch.

There's a reason so many new metal and hard rock bands' riffs sound derivative of Tool. And it's not because Jones sucks, that's for sure.