PDA

View Full Version : How can I turn this song into a science lesson?

HelenA
06-19-2006, 07:44 PM
I teach Year 11 Biology (college level in the US) and I was thinking that I might use this song as a way of introducing genetics.

Does anyone have any ideas?

J Stebbins
06-20-2006, 04:03 AM
I don't see why not, just talk about chromosomes and our evolution and then relate it to this song, considering it has facts and information about it.

HelenA
07-06-2006, 01:43 AM
OK - I have written a lesson - but it is in word format. Is anyone willing to have a look at it and say what they think. I would be very grateful for feedback. I don't even know how I can do this!

boulder411241124112
07-23-2006, 11:28 AM
post it or send it to me, [email protected]. I'd love to hear what you came up with for your class. I'm a sophmore in college right now so I think I could probably give you some good criticism.

HelenA
07-27-2006, 04:56 AM
post it or send it to me, [email protected]. I'd love to hear what you came up with for your class. I'm a sophmore in college right now so I think I could probably give you some good criticism.

WOW!!!!! I had just about given up checking this thread - thankyou!

Stumtool
10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
WOW!!!!! I had just about given up checking this thread - thankyou!

i know its an old thread but i would also be interested in what u came up with

HelenA
10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
i know its an old thread but i would also be interested in what u came up with

I eventually came up with a worksheet - it was cool. I used it with two classes - my Yr 11 Senior Biology Class and my (very good) Yr 9 Science Class. It worked well - I would do it again. I used it as an introduction to genetics.

It is a word document. I can send it to you (or anyone) if you like.

dying2ascend
10-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I eventually came up with a worksheet - it was cool. I used it with two classes - my Yr 11 Senior Biology Class and my (very good) Yr 9 Science Class. It worked well - I would do it again. I used it as an introduction to genetics.

It is a word document. I can send it to you (or anyone) if you like.

I am writing a paper for humanities on Anema and it's relation to C.J. Jung and Freud. I would love to see what you have done for your Biology class. If you could send me your work, my e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks

rsharrett
11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I'd like a copy- [email protected]

weesper
11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
me as well [email protected]

resonance.
11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I thought this song was more about jungian philosophy than genetics....

ajp1982
11-12-2006, 07:28 PM
yeah me too...although genetics is intergral to understanding Jung's theory.

weathermantom
11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
yes, I would really like to see this; we just started the genetics unit in my AP bio class:
[email protected]

There is no spoon
11-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Here's how you turn it into a science lesson....

Open the artwork, turn to the page that has a picture of Bill Hicks with the messed up patient, and say... "Genetics. Look at this picture. This is what happens when you get wasted & decide to flirt with your cousin at a family picnic..."

the midas touch
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
I, too, would like a read-through of this (email is [email protected] ) . The lecture is has already probably been completed but it'd be interesting to see how you formed this into a high school biology lesson.
The only problem, I'd say, is that people in AP Biology (I'm assuming this is what level you're talking about) are not ready for Tool. It's very hard to fully appreciate Tool at that age.

talibad
12-16-2006, 07:42 PM
i just wrote a thred in regards to the genetic stuff but if its about evolution then why would we be evolveing into chimpanzee's since they have 48 chromosones

HelenA
12-17-2006, 01:39 AM
i just wrote a thred in regards to the genetic stuff but if its about evolution then why would we be evolveing into chimpanzee's since they have 48 chromosones

Sigh. It is just symbolic of new growth and the next step - it isn't about literally having more chromosomes. Sheep have 54, horses have 64 and butterflies have 380 so if you want to eveolve into a butterfly - go ahead. We'll watch.

talibad
12-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Sigh. It is just symbolic of new growth and the next step - it isn't about literally having more chromosomes. Sheep have 54, horses have 64 and butterflies have 380 so if you want to eveolve into a butterfly - go ahead. We'll watch.

i know this but the originator of the thread wanted to incorperate it ino a Science lesson

Inner_Eulogy
12-28-2006, 01:35 PM
i know this but the originator of the thread wanted to incorperate it ino a Science lesson

HelenA WAS the originator genius

HelenA
02-05-2007, 01:46 AM
HelenA WAS the originator genius

Thankyou LOL.

I haven't checked this thread in a while so I may be behind in my correspondence. BUT just so you all know - it was just a high school bio lesson - not a thesis or a paper (whatever that means). I hope I sent it to everyone who asked but if I missed anyone please PM me and I will send it.

Edit: I was extremely privileged to hear this live in Sydney WITH some of the very students for whom I made the lesson.

ShadowLine
02-20-2007, 11:58 AM
I thought this song was more about jungian philosophy than genetics....

it is but a the core of the jungian philosophy used in it is the basis of conciousness relating to levels of chromosomes.

chris
x

OGT from back in the day
05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
im in the 9th grade but i take 10th grade biology cuz im smart and i have mentioned this idea to my teacher but she just completely denies it, she tries to tell me that if you had 2 extra chromosomes then you would be retarded but then i remind her that she is contradicting herself because she told me that 1 extra in chromosome 21 would be retarded so how can 2 extra do the same thing and it wouldnt be in the 21st chromosome, it would start a whole new pair, she doesnt know what to say after that and i also told her about carl jung and she says that you cant go by what one man thinks

HelenA
06-02-2007, 03:55 AM
There is no possible way of replying to this post in a reasonable way. Jung was not talking about chromosomes and evolution, he was talking about personal growth. Humans MUST have 46 chromosomes or they will have a chromosomal disease eg Down's Syndrome. An extra PAIR of chromosomes is impossible. Chromosomes come in pairs so it is irrelevant whether it is the 1st or 21st pair (?????). You should probably stop arguing with your teacher and just listen.

iAMtheMA!
06-02-2007, 06:24 AM
doesn't it have something to do with the number of times mitosis takes place in order to replenish all cells within the body. ...or something?

talibad
06-02-2007, 09:59 AM
still 46+2=48 and a chimp has 48 chromosomes.

HelenA
06-02-2007, 04:08 PM
doesn't it have something to do with the number of times mitosis takes place in order to replenish all cells within the body. ...or something?

There are two types of cell division - mitosis and meiosis. Mitosis is the process by which a cell replicates. It reproduces itself exactly through a complicated process managed by RNA. So in the case of humans, the cell divides and reforms with 46 chromosomes. Meiosis is sexual reproduction. The male cell divides and creates a gamete with 23 chromosomes, if it meets up with a female gamete then a new individual is created with the required number of chromosomes - 46 (23 from each parent). In rare cases there are mistakes made by the cells and these almost always result in disease or death. No humans have 46&2 chromosomes.

OGT from back in the day
06-02-2007, 07:20 PM
yes yes yes but im not arguing the fact that if u had more hen u would be retarded, im arguing the point that i dont know how to say this....."personal growth" as you said,is possible. im really just talking about reaching a new level of evolution through chromosomes and i argue with all of my teachers, its fun because im smarter than most of them, my math teacher is the only one smarter than me

angelomorf
06-03-2007, 11:53 AM
sehogyan...semnem...anyádat...btcs!

Cheesegreater
06-03-2007, 02:18 PM
yes yes yes but im not arguing the fact that if u had more hen u would be retarded, im arguing the point that i dont know how to say this....."personal growth" as you said,is possible. im really just talking about reaching a new level of evolution through chromosomes and i argue with all of my teachers, its fun because im smarter than most of them, my math teacher is the only one smarter than me

If you wonder why teachers may give you a hard time look at the above post.

OGT from back in the day
09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
If you wonder why teachers may give you a hard time look at the above post.

they give me a hard time because they are cunts, that is the only reason

Angel on the Sideline
09-21-2007, 04:35 AM
OGT:
First off, it's possible - but unlikely - that you are smarter than your teachers. Try setting aside the ego (a theme in many TOOL songs) and listening to what they have to say. You may learn something. If you do, you'll quickly learn that the more you learn the less you know. It's an ignorant person who thinks they know all there is to know. A wise man knows his knowledge is little.

keroppi
11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
HelenA, did you ever turn this song into a science lesson? I am curious about this.

ShadowLine
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
they give me a hard time because they are cunts, that is the only reason

or is it because YOU are a cunt?? hmmmm....i wonder.....

OGT from back in the day
12-26-2007, 10:26 PM
yeah the new year has started and i have different teachers, these teachers are smarter than me and i know that....you do not understand my teachers from last year, they were all R tards, trust me woburn high is not known for having good teachers

*~*»¤«(Đispositioń)»¤«*~*
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
I also go to a shitty high school.

○dissonance○
02-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Didn't we all?

AcidRain
02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow a Science lesson within a thread I love it. Helen if you ever look at this again and you still have the lesson I'd love to see it. [email protected]