PDA

View Full Version : Evolution into a being of pure consciousness

Nate-Dogg85
06-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I recently stumbled upon this theory in a book by Machu Kaku (parallel worlds) something along the name of that. He discusses the end of the univserse and how to survive it. He says that recent studies show that the universe will expand infinitely until it eventually freezes from being much too spread out. There are 3 ways to ignore this fate (at least as far as i see); learning how to manipulate the universe we live in, learn how to flee it, or evolve into a being of pure consciousness.

This last one is just driving me crazy. It makes me think of god, it makes me think of meditation, and a whole lot of other stuff. It also makes me feel frustrated, most importantly. This theory is completely mind blowing and when i think about this it makes me question if im insane or not. When listening to this song, i began to feel that psychadellics tie in with this theory. My brother mentioned something about terrence mckenna speaking about how the mushroom is a superior being that has evolved to withstand the most brutal circumstances. It was a little far fetched to me, but the elements with this make sense, if you keep an open mind.

Basically i opened this thread becuase i want to hear 'toolfans' ideas on this, and get any direction from you guys for studying this. Rosetta stoned, IMO, goes along with this theory so let me hear what you guys have to say.

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
06-18-2006, 07:51 PM
The mushroom idea is really interesting.

I'm serious.

Artistic Sickness
06-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Elaborate on that mushroom thingie you were talking about

Gnome_Chomsky
06-18-2006, 09:30 PM
ooooooh mushrooms.

Nate-Dogg85
06-19-2006, 07:21 AM
lol, you guys are supposed to be helping me out. Have you ever heard of the Theory of Panspermia? Its a theory, i dont know if the idea came from Francis Crick, but he was a strong supporter of it. Its the theory of how we came to exist here on earth. He didnt believe that we evolved from nothing to something here on earth. He had the idea that we came from a dying world that sent, as a last resort, something off into the universe to find a place to attempt to live again. Terrence McKenna supports that by saying that the Mushrooms is what we came from. He goes on to talk about how the spores of the mushrooms were at one time believed to have the ability to be blown through space by cosmic radiational pressure. He discusses how mushrooms live in shitty conditions, they are a fungi, they live of waste. He doesnt say that they sent mushrooms to earth and that we came from them, but he has a theory that our intelligence came from the mushroom.

Thats all i erally know about it, theres a hell of alot more on it. Just look up panspermia and mushrooms, or something like that.

You might come to find that all you are is a molecule inside a finger nail of greater being. Just some food for thought.

a_theist
06-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I hear that sticking your face in a very close friends ass while he or she is flagulating can take you to a state of consciousness where you feel the universe and your friend as you feel yourself.

Make sure to stick your nose in deep and inhale forcefully. Trust me.

ArizonaBay
06-19-2006, 03:21 PM
lol, you guys are supposed to be helping me out. Have you ever heard of the Theory of Panspermia? Its a theory, i dont know if the idea came from Francis Crick, but he was a strong supporter of it. Its the theory of how we came to exist here on earth. He didnt believe that we evolved from nothing to something here on earth. He had the idea that we came from a dying world that sent, as a last resort, something off into the universe to find a place to attempt to live again. Terrence McKenna supports that by saying that the Mushrooms is what we came from. He goes on to talk about how the spores of the mushrooms were at one time believed to have the ability to be blown through space by cosmic radiational pressure. He discusses how mushrooms live in shitty conditions, they are a fungi, they live of waste. He doesnt say that they sent mushrooms to earth and that we came from them, but he has a theory that our intelligence came from the mushroom.

Thats all i erally know about it, theres a hell of alot more on it. Just look up panspermia and mushrooms, or something like that.

You might come to find that all you are is a molecule inside a finger nail of greater being. Just some food for thought.

Errr... panspermia is a joke. No kidding it was a joke by nerds of some kind or other at oxford or cambridge. They claimed that they had found that an unidentified substance in a jar that had been sitting there for years was extraterestrial spermatoza that had been flung into space to fertilize other planets including ours. It was however total bull.

Nate-Dogg85
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Right, this thread isnt about that though... People just found it interesting and were curious. CONSCIOUSNESS!!! BACK TO THE POINT.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Well I dont know too much about astral projection, but I guess from what I do know you become kindof a being of consiousness. I guess I kinda always did figure that maybe i am the only true consious being. I mean for all I know your all just figments of my imagination. But I'll never know, so what ever. I think theres a good chance that I missed the point of this thread with my post, but im gonna post it any way to get some new Ideas coming.

OrchOR
06-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Theres a guy called craig chalmers - a philosopher of consciousness who has some interesting things to say about all this.
Firstly, on what DJR says, he has a thought experiment about zombies. If you removed consciusness from a person, but left them able to behave as normal, then they would effectively be a zombie, but you would never know, and for all you know, everyone you know might be a zombie. Of course, the counter argument to this is that you would not behave normally if you had no conscoiusness.
Secondly, Chalmers believes in Panpsychism, the idea that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe, present to some degree in all things, almost like a seperate dimension spreading through everything.

bellamadia
06-22-2006, 06:34 AM
I recently stumbled upon this theory in a book by Machu Kaku (parallel worlds) something along the name of that. He discusses the end of the univserse and how to survive it. He says that recent studies show that the universe will expand infinitely until it eventually freezes from being much too spread out. There are 3 ways to ignore this fate (at least as far as i see); learning how to manipulate the universe we live in, learn how to flee it, or evolve into a being of pure consciousness.

This last one is just driving me crazy. It makes me think of god, it makes me think of meditation, and a whole lot of other stuff. It also makes me feel frustrated, most importantly. This theory is completely mind blowing and when i think about this it makes me question if im insane or not. When listening to this song, i began to feel that psychadellics tie in with this theory. My brother mentioned something about terrence mckenna speaking about how the mushroom is a superior being that has evolved to withstand the most brutal circumstances. It was a little far fetched to me, but the elements with this make sense, if you keep an open mind.

Basically i opened this thread becuase i want to hear 'toolfans' ideas on this, and get any direction from you guys for studying this. Rosetta stoned, IMO, goes along with this theory so let me hear what you guys have to say.

Based on the mushroom theory, cockroaches must be gods.

No seriously Nate, I'm sorry no one has really elaborted on your thread. Don't be discouraged, it's a good thought. I think it's one that is hard to conceive, making it hard to formulate a proper response. (Hence why it might be driving you crazy.)

I know nothing of this theory, I will have to do some reasearch on this author. My initial thought is that there is no such thing as the "end of the universe." There are billions upon billions of "things" in this universe that are constanly moving and changing. Over time, it will change of course.... but end? I think not.

But entertaining the thought that it will end, his 3 theories seem flawed. (Again, I would need to read this to see how he supports them.) My initial thoughts are that we probably cannot FLEE the universe because then where would we be? An alternate universe? Well, I don't believe that exists because I believe everything is part of one thing. On the 2nd option, in the whole scheme of the universe we are these weak and feable creatures who I highly doubt can manipulate it enough to stop the processes. And, if we did, then technically we are not actually manipulating it, it would just seem like we are but in actuality the universe will always control us as we are part of it... not the other way around. And last but not least, if we were to evolve into pure beings of conciouness, how would that allow us to escape the end of the universe? Our conciousness would still be part of the universe would it not?

Natural Mystic
06-23-2006, 10:42 PM
For more info on Terence Mckenna here..

http://deoxy.org/mckenna.htm

Yea McKenaa went with the idea that Shrooms are exterterristial beings that were sent to Earth to teach us about the Divine, and that through the ingestion of it throughout the years, we we're able to evolve to our current state.

I think shrooms can be used as a tool for spiritual/divine awakening, but as for his whole theory, I'd rather not go there.

This idea of the universe ending? Now is space is expanding, and thus assuming time is speeding up aswell, sure it might "end", but that doesn't mean that we "die" as consciousness exists out side the space/time, so first of all there is no way to "ignore" the "end", unless we remain.. ignorant of consciouness. Thus evolving into (or remembering we are part of) consciouness would be the main objective.. unless one desires ignorance over knowledge (light). And with knowledge comes the ability to manipulate the world around you. "capable of all that is imagined..."

Boof
06-24-2006, 05:28 AM
What does all this have to do with this song? I dont really see the connection.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-24-2006, 10:40 AM
It could probably be moved to the philosophical thread, but it gets more hits here, and the more people thinking as a collective will generate more possibilities/opinions.

AMF
06-24-2006, 04:36 PM

That's the greatest post I've ever read.

AMF
06-24-2006, 04:41 PM
For more info on Terence Mckenna here..

http://deoxy.org/mckenna.htm

Yea McKenaa went with the idea that Shrooms are exterterristial beings that were sent to Earth to teach us about the Divine, and that through the ingestion of it throughout the years, we we're able to evolve to our current state.

I think shrooms can be used as a tool for spiritual/divine awakening, but as for his whole theory, I'd rather not go there.

This idea of the universe ending? Now is space is expanding, and thus assuming time is speeding up aswell, sure it might "end", but that doesn't mean that we "die" as consciousness exists out side the space/time, so first of all there is no way to "ignore" the "end", unless we remain.. ignorant of consciouness. Thus evolving into (or remembering we are part of) consciouness would be the main objective.. unless one desires ignorance over knowledge (light). And with knowledge comes the ability to manipulate the world around you. "capable of all that is imagined..."

The big problem or "loophole" I find with all these kooky theories is that, have these people actually appiled this to their life? Has it worked? Are there people out there who "made it" or whatever? It's all a bunch of silly drug-induced thoughts that are nothing more than a set of exisitential ideals to me. You can't fathom or understand the concept of something like the universe expanding. Logically, it makes no sense. Time in itself, the entire universe, the entire everything that comprises everything, every form of life, anything that occupies physical space, had to come from somewhere. It's never always "been there", or maybe we just can't percieve a reality otherwise.

That's why the best solution is to quit worrying about this bullshit and LIVE YOUR LIFE. You have ZERO control over anything else other than yourself, so make the most of what you have.

As King Crimson said: "Be Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With" :)

Ignorance is bliss. Keep it simple.

PriceisRight
06-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I really think I'll stick with the human genome project over mushrooms.

To cease to exist...is it that bad?

Natural Mystic
06-24-2006, 07:51 PM
The big problem or "loophole" I find with all these kooky theories is that, have these people actually appiled this to their life? Has it worked? Are there people out there who "made it" or whatever? It's all a bunch of silly drug-induced thoughts that are nothing more than a set of exisitential ideals to me. You can't fathom or understand the concept of something like the universe expanding. Logically, it makes no sense. Time in itself, the entire universe, the entire everything that comprises everything, every form of life, anything that occupies physical space, had to come from somewhere. It's never always "been there", or maybe we just can't percieve a reality otherwise.

That's why the best solution is to quit worrying about this bullshit and LIVE YOUR LIFE. You have ZERO control over anything else other than yourself, so make the most of what you have.

As King Crimson said: "Be Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With" :)

Ignorance is bliss. Keep it simple.

Thanks for the response.

I agree to a certain point. If we begin to look at the universe scientifically (disregarding the whole "universe is expanding" bit) there is some "evidence" for these "kooky" ideas so to speak. Metaphysics examines this premise saying that everything is connected.. even a sub-atomic levels. Matter may be connected as waves, or connected/intergrated in the "empty space" that we live in. So either way, the universe is connected. Thus we "may" be able to conclude that nothing is separate from God.

I have been applying certain practices and mind-sets regrading the "spiritual" life and I can say that is has greatly improved my life.

And I am not worrying about "bullshit". LoL. I find the examination of life the most exicting and inspiring thing to discuss. It doesn't mean I don't bother talking about other things. But I tend to enjoy life discussions rather than...

"fret for your figure, latte, lawsuit, hairpiece, contracts, cars" etc...

I agree that "You have ZERO control over anything else other than yourself, so make the most of what you have."

Right on.

Although I completely disagree with "Ignorance is Bliss"

You've seen the first matrix? Where Cypher goes ahead and says that to the agent. But if you think about it...

Could you live a false life, where people may be feeding on you, where you could be imprisoned in a reality that doesn't promote love and freedom? Even if it is that very self-destruction that makes you "temporarly" happy?

As for this song representing the evolution into pure consciousness... could be. I haven't really put a lable on this song.. I just enjoy it too much. It could be a metaphor for a divine experience... travelling through dimensions, meeting "multi-dimensional beings" that speak of some great Truth about past, present and future. Who knows?

Great song! :)

OGT from back in the day
06-24-2006, 08:03 PM
my nipples are hard

holotrope
06-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Right, this thread isnt about that though... People just found it interesting and were curious. CONSCIOUSNESS!!! BACK TO THE POINT.

Evolving into a being of pure consciousness to escape the end of the world, eh? Well this does sound like some stuff that tool has pointed us to before (ancient secret of the flower of life stuff) but i'm pretty sure it's just a different way of looking at some form of attainment yoga/other enlightenment-oriented practice.

"the end of the world" needn't mean the actual apocalypse, what it probably means is "the end of the world where endings occur" that is, finding an end to impermanence, samsara, whatevr you want to call it. So don't get too apocalyptic on that one. Even McKenna said that the one big shift he forsees could be either a disastrous end to civilisation, or a shift in consciousness leading to a new and perfected civilisation.

Anyway, it's cool that your interest is sparked in all this stuff, it's an area which has fascinated me for as long as I remember. The best advice I can give you is to read from as many sources as possible, and keep an open mind. It can get quite dangerous to just accept one line of spirituality and then only stuff which agrees with it.

Always start out reading things as if they are true, because that will let you understand them without being bogged down with preconceptions. Once you understand the ideas, then come at them with your questions, but remember it is best to look for internal inconsistencies than to dismiss something because it doesn't agree with your opinion. Our best stab at knowledge is having a coherent belief set, so examine your existing beliefs and see if they match up with the new ones you're trying to incorporate. Don't only change outside beleifes to fit your mind, try thinking as though you believe something totally different for a little while- it's refreshing. You can learn from all sorts of people and ideas, you just need to be picky about how you do it.

I highly recommend meditation. As well as a relaxing and calming activity, it can truly show you things about yourself you never knew, and (I've recently discovered) it works as a fantastic hang-over cure!

Psychedelics are also interesting for these reasons, but make sure you do them in the right circumstances and for the right reasons with the right people, and with a strong focus on your objective/what you hope to acheive. Read Leary, Alpert and Metzner's The Psychedelic Experience, it's a fantastic manual which corresponds to some of the stuff you said in your original post, but unveils a more symbolic meaning. It is also a fantastic way to prepare yourself for any sort of psychedelic encounter.

Don't dismiss the religion you were raised in (or other mainstream religions) in your quest for the spiritual, as a lot of people do. It makes sense to understand what people have been believeing about God all these centuries, and once you get beneath the surface, all of these religions have something deep and valuable to communicate. www.sacred-texts.com is a great place to start.

Remember, no two people read the same sentence in just the same way, so the more sources you have, the more accurately you can piece together your own method of looking at/understanding the world, and the more ways you will begin to interpret what you encounter, which will serve to give you a broader perspective.

Also, don't think that spirituality is all sunshine and infinite bliss. That aspect exists at the ultimate state, but we are far away from it, and we can only get small tastes of that experience while we are still so heavily bound up in our ego-grasping. There is a dark side to the human (the Beast) entwined with the Divinity, and the struggle between the two is never an easy one. The world is the same, there are good and bad things out there and we must learn to deal with both, not just seek what we like and avoid what we don't. Similarly, spirituality is the same. It's not always going to make you feel good, many times you will be uncomfortable, unsure, worried or afraid, and your animal nature will tell you to avoid going back to this difficult path, but if you truly want something out of it, then perseverance is the only way.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, psychedelics can only provide temporary access to the invisible worlds in the far-reaches of your psyche. It takes more time to understand these realms fully, and some like to solve this by repeatedly taking psychedelics. This is not a good idea if you are in uncontrolled circumstances, or if you are looking to re-create a past experience. One important lesson of spirituality is that each moment of experience is unique, so to chase an old one is only to re-attach to impossible desires. Drugs are interesting, but psychedelics should not be used for fun or kicks. Treat them with respect, and much can be learned. But do not use them as a crutch, because then you are totally countering the purpose of most spirituality which is total non-dependence on that which is outside you (since you eventually learn that you are inside everything and everything is inside you).

Anyway, that was a mouthful so I'll stop for now. I hope something in here helps you out in your investigations.

bellamadia
06-26-2006, 04:39 AM
^^^^^^^^ GREAT post Holotrope!!!!!

ArizonaBay
06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
A being of pure consciousness? I think it would be reasonable to suggest we all are that being anyway. As holotrope said you are inside everything and everything is inside you.

holotrope
06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
^^^^^^^^ GREAT post Holotrope!!!!!

Glad you liked it :)