PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stoned played as you've never heard it before.Please listen!

eonblue462
06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Hey, this is a recording of me playing the bridge (the part from 7:00-8:14) of rosetta stoned..........on pots and pans! Please listen to it and tell me what you think. Even though it's on pots and pans I think I got it pretty acurate!

heres the link:

http://www.uploading.com/?get=9GLLYMEZ

For those tone buffs out there, I'm using "spud pots" instead of the mandalas and a "veg pot" for a snare. I prefer the lower, more resonating sound of a veg pot for a snare. The klinky, metalic tones of the spud pots arn't without their charms though and I think they work very well in this song!!!
I'm using a cardbox box for "the magic bullet" food mixer (the magic bullet and all accessories are still inside) as a bass drum, and for the hats, just a cd lying on the floor which I step on!

Please listen and enjoy, I have the real song playing underneath so that you can compare them!!

Edit: also I am using two big paint brushes instead of sticks!!!

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
06-18-2006, 10:26 PM
creative?

eonblue462
06-19-2006, 04:08 AM
creative?

So, you like?!!!

That amazing tone can only be obtained by years of cooking quality Irish spuds in those saucepans! I think I can safley say that danny carey is very VERY jealous!!! lol

Jimmeny
06-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Hehe, the kick drum isn't quite right, but haha, very cool.

mr. nikki jensen
06-19-2006, 06:58 AM
HAHA, sounds funny! Alternative and creative

you're good boy!

DON IOTAE
06-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Sound great. I really enjoyed it. Too bad the bass drum was kinda off (if there was any bass drum). I think that's the most special part of the whole bridge. As I posted in the "hardest song to play on drum" thread, that's the trippiest part to figure out. Danny and Justin really shine there.

But, hell, your solo was impressive. Really liked it.

CaseLogic
06-19-2006, 08:27 AM
It was better than I thought it would be, that's for sure, but your bass drum timing was off like the whole time

eonblue462
06-19-2006, 09:34 AM
It was better than I thought it would be, that's for sure, but your bass drum timing was off like the whole time

Well it was a cardbox box that kept jumpin away as I hit it so cut me a little slack!! And also I'm not a drummer, I'm a guitarist and this is just a kind of obsession I got for two days, once I tried to do it I couldnt stop paradiddling until I got it!!!! I appreciate the feedback, thanks guys, it's great to get a good laugh out of the forums!

RosettaStoned
06-19-2006, 09:45 AM
sounds funny ;)
nice

Jimmeny
06-19-2006, 10:27 AM
The bass drum is in the right time, the riff you're playing is in 5, but you keep adding an extra hit each time, and you're playing it out of time too :P

Cool for not being a drummer, I'm the same, I've just figured out the paradiddle-snaring, and getting the 5/8 underneath that is fucking me right up. I need to work on the independance of my right foot.

blafuckbla
06-19-2006, 10:34 AM
lol. nice try but you're way out of time.

eonblue462
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
lol. nice try but you're way out of time.

Thats why I'm not a drummer!!! lol

lambandmartyr
06-19-2006, 11:04 AM
holy fucking shit! quite impressive, i should say. not that i'd go out and buy your cd but that was pretty cool and creative, eonblue.

eonblue462
06-19-2006, 02:06 PM
holy fucking shit! quite impressive, i should say. not that i'd go out and buy your cd but that was pretty cool and creative, eonblue.

You wouldn't buy my CD?!!! I'm hurt and offended! lol

JOK3R
06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
you're crazy man. i enjoyed the listen. very creative. thanks for this.

eonblue462
06-19-2006, 03:17 PM
you're crazy man. i enjoyed the listen. very creative. thanks for this.

Praise from a texan, how much better can this get!...YEE HAW!!! lol

Thanks man!

unto her a vineyard
06-26-2006, 07:25 PM
lol thats awesome.... fill them with water

Riff
06-26-2006, 07:41 PM
cool stuff , good job

Is the magic bullet really any good? I want one

eonblue462
06-27-2006, 05:25 AM
cool stuff , good job

Is the magic bullet really any good? I want one

Well I used to laugh my ass off looking at the add's ("commercials" for all you yanks!) and thinking "what moron would buy that piece of shit", and then one day my dad came home with one!!! It was used once, failed miserably at its job and has been in it's box for the last few months...I finally found a use for it though!!!

Riff
06-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Well I used to laugh my ass off looking at the add's ("commercials" for all you yanks!) and thinking "what moron would buy that piece of shit", and then one day my dad came home with one!!! It was used once, failed miserably at its job and has been in it's box for the last few months...I finally found a use for it though!!!

Damn TV-SHOP and their lies!

BlanketEffect
06-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I'm also a guitarist but my son has a child-size drumset that I play on almost as much as he does. And anything else that sounds cool. It's very liberating.

eonblue462
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'm also a guitarist but my son has a child-size drumset that I play on almost as much as he does. And anything else that sounds cool. It's very liberating.

Oh yeah, theres nothing quite as satisfying as hitting something!!! Oh the simple things in life! lol

joblobob
06-27-2006, 02:10 PM
After a couple of hearings here's the things I heard...

though your parradiddles "sounds" like the right thing, it is not.
though your bass drum "sounds" like the "right" thing, it is not.

Like I said in a similar thread talking about a guy "explaining" rosetta stoned, the nads of Danny Carey are not making a parradiddle, he's playing doubles with 1 hand and complementing the groove the the other hand. It's much harder then you can think of, I've been on it for 2 weeks now and I'm beguining to get it right.

But I have to admin that from a non-drummer you've impressed me. :)

PoisonedMind
06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Ha..Not bad at all kid..
+PoisonedMind+

Cha
06-27-2006, 04:48 PM
hahaha that was ridiculous. I couldnt stop myself from laughing when the part comes and instead of danny's drums you hear pots and pans.

eonblue462
06-28-2006, 08:12 AM
After a couple of hearings here's the things I heard...

though your parradiddles "sounds" like the right thing, it is not.
though your bass drum "sounds" like the "right" thing, it is not.

Like I said in a similar thread talking about a guy "explaining" rosetta stoned, the nads of Danny Carey are not making a parradiddle, he's playing doubles with 1 hand and complementing the groove the the other hand. It's much harder then you can think of, I've been on it for 2 weeks now and I'm beguining to get it right.

But I have to admin that from a non-drummer you've impressed me. :)

Well once again, if I was Danny Carey (or had his talent) I wouldn't be on here talkin to loosers like me!! I'd be in a hot tub with a chinese guy, eating pringles and drinkin beer!!
So I gave it my best shot but I'd be intrested to hear a guy who knows what he's talkin about give it a go. So when you get it down, record it man.

Also I didn't know danny usually played paradiddles with his "nads", that is one hardcore mother fucker!!

Ha..Not bad at all kid..

Who are you to call me "kid"!!! for all you know im a fat 75 year old pakistani guy.

hahaha that was ridiculous. I couldnt stop myself from laughing when the part comes and instead of danny's drums you hear pots and pans.

Why thank you, I live to give!!

Satival Tributary
06-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Sounds better than the drums on St. Anger.

Spaceman Spiff
06-28-2006, 08:27 AM
You should do Metallica's St. Anger next. :P

eonblue462
06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
will never forgive you for that.

What, for making Danny Carey look stupid by doing a far superior version of his song!!!!!!

You should do Metallica's St. Anger next. :P

I've never heard that song and I think I can survive without hearing it!!

joblobob
06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
"I'm a guitarist and this is just a kind of obsession I got for two days, once I tried to do it I couldnt stop paradiddling until I got it!!!!"

It's the "I got it!!!!" part that got me frustrated sry....

But I'll record that beast once I get it right, after 1 full week I'm around 70% of completion...but that monster's harder and harder the more you understand it...

eonblue462
06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
"I'm a guitarist and this is just a kind of obsession I got for two days, once I tried to do it I couldnt stop paradiddling until I got it!!!!"

It's the "I got it!!!!" part that got me frustrated sry....

But I'll record that beast once I get it right, after 1 full week I'm around 70% of completion...but that monster's harder and harder the more you understand it...

Well by "got it" I ment that I got what I thought it was.

RLRR LRLL SnareLRR LRLL RLRR SnareRLL

But you get it up here ASAP. Evryone else who said they'd upload it just dissappeard. So far I'm the only one to upload it!!!!

joblobob
06-29-2006, 02:26 AM
Yeah I understand, but the polyrythms are hard to nail well...

And by practicing only 20minutes 3 times per week, I can't progress super quickly...

eonblue462
06-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Oh well I'm looking forward to hearing your version. Don't wuss out on me now!!!!

Loveboat Captain
06-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Thats very...creative. Well done!

eonblue462
06-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Thats very...creative. Well done!

Oh cool, praise from a belfast guy, always good to hear from a brother up the north!!! Deftones are playin up there soon, you should go and see em'..............you're not an orange man are ya?!!!!!!!!! lol
Thanks.

PS. did you know that the singer in Pygmy Love Circus (Danny's other band) is from Belfast?!!

Spaceman Spiff
06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I've never heard that song and I think I can survive without hearing it!!
Ah, nevermind then. Those who haven't heard it won't get the joke.

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Right arm, dude! This is so much cooler than the singing threads . . .

eonblue462
06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Right arm, dude! This is so much cooler than the singing threads . . .

You just bashed me on the the lipan conjuring cover thread

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=47059

But I forgive you!!!!!!!!

PS. Is "right arm dude" a complement?!!!

FloydTheCat
07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
eon.....

can i meet your dealer?

-FloydTheCat

swampyfool
07-09-2006, 05:36 AM

Yes. It's a bastardization of "right on" that I find funny for some reason. And I wasn't bashing you, just the singinng threads in general . . .

joblobob
07-09-2006, 05:11 PM
As promised I'll have a clip of me playing all 5 rythms of the final part of Rosetta Stoned. I've finally nailed it, but gosh it's a huge pain in the ass playing it for a long time, so the clip might be short....

molehill
07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Ahaha, dude, that is pimp!

DON IOTAE
07-10-2006, 10:45 PM
pimp my post

iuguolo
07-12-2006, 12:55 AM
i love you.

i really wanted a mgic bullet :( the ads are so funny! "awww man i really hate broccoli"

eonblue462
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
As promised I'll have a clip of me playing all 5 rythms of the final part of Rosetta Stoned. I've finally nailed it, but gosh it's a huge pain in the ass playing it for a long time, so the clip might be short....

Good, I'm waiting for it. Iv'e been on probation for a week for calling a guy a douchebag so I hope you all managed tto continue existing without me.

i love you.

i really wanted a mgic bullet :( the ads are so funny! "awww man i really hate broccoli

I'll sell you one for €500? You can make shakes out of carrots and potatoes, or start your day off with some freshly squeezed prune juice, or when you have friends over and you find you're all out of pesto.....in 10 seconds, "hey presto, more pesto"*!!! "mmmm, Yummy"!!

*I came up with that all by myself, I'm very proud!!

BlanketEffect
07-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Good, I'm waiting for it. Iv'e been on probation for a week for calling a guy a douchebag...

*falls over laughing*

x3rdIx
07-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Very nice, Danny Carey.. then out of nowhere.. pots n pans.

Garguantua
07-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm inspired.
I'm going to gather some pots and pans, a couple of paint buckets and some trash can lids and learn the drums.

Mr. Carey should have gone to the cookware section at Walmart, instead of developing the Mandala with Synesthesia Corp.

joblobob
07-17-2006, 03:57 AM
I'm recording this morning, so i'll post the clip in a new thread today, I hope that with my explenations, you'll re-master your pots and pans version :P

eonblue462
07-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm recording this morning, so i'll post the clip in a new thread today, I hope that with my explenations, you'll re-master your pots and pans version :P

Cool, are you putting it up in the Rosetta Stoned Section?
I'll definatly try and fix up any mistakes I made but I don't know if I have 1/1000 of the required skill!!

*falls over laughing*

Is it normal to be put on probation for such a grevious attack?!! I hear paraflux is a little trigger happy when it comes to probing people? (Hope he doesn't read this and probe me again!)

Very nice, Danny Carey.. then out of nowhere.. pots n pans.

Yeah it's a henous crime. I bet everytime someone plays it danny bursts into tears!

unto her a vineyard
10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
grrr repost link thingie

DON IOTAE
10-25-2006, 05:11 PM
yesssspleeeez

Aeturnus
11-05-2006, 09:22 PM
nice i liked it

swampyfool
11-17-2006, 02:10 PM

In this context, "right arm" was complimentary. At times though, it can be used to get the listener to think that you are in support of whatever they just said (thinking that you said "right on"). But you know the truth. It's just a way to cop out of an argument that just isn't worth having. Of course, this doesn't work on internet forums as the audio portion is removed from the equation. I was just itching to say "right arm." But just to clarify- RIGHT ON!

EDIT: Wow, I didn't remember already posting a similar response. Oh well. I guess that this adds a bit of context. I'ma smoka bowl.

swampyfool
11-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Good, I'm waiting for it. Iv'e been on probation for a week for calling a guy a douchebag so I hope you all managed tto continue existing without me.

Wow. They didn't probate me for that- and I called the guy a douchebag three times in one post! They just edited it away and I said I was sorry- end of story. I guess they were just cracking down. Seriously though, I don't think you should have been put on probation . . .

AFTER ALL, AREN'T WE ALL DOUCHEBAGS? (even just a little?)

MoreTool
11-17-2006, 06:47 PM

Doesn't work!!

mjkajdcjc
11-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Doesn't work!!

Same here.

swampyfool
11-18-2006, 04:24 PM

Doesn't work!!

Same here.

The link has passed its prime. It's a shame that it died. Eon- refresh that link if you still have the recording . . . That shit was great, and I wanna hear it again.

eonblue462
06-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Okay... eh it's been almost 2 years since I was last on this thread but I just came back and saw some people wanted the link renewed so fuck it i'll put it up again. Even though in my no longer teenage brain in now seems kinda lame!

Enjoy!

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/69757/Rosetta-Stoned-mp3.html