PDA

View Full Version : To me this song sounds like a parabola

morgaine
06-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Well, half of a parabola. As in a classic U-shaped parabola, the right half of it. The very first part of this song, along with the very last part of parabol, gradually increase in volume then increase exponentially (before the lyrics come in). I always liked that and saw the image of a parabola forming in my head along with the sound.

It'd be really cool to hear a spiral. Tool could probably pull that off somehow.

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
06-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Your mind makes the image, the music helps.

morgaine
06-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Definitely. I don't think this was done intentionally by the band or that it is a hidden secret/meaning/etc. I've just always enjoyed what this transition between the songs does for me-- how the music draws f(x)=x² (where the range is positive) in my mind, and that it made me stop to think about what other shapes might _sound_ like. Even without this image, I find the sudden increase to be sonically exhilarating and goosebump inducing! To me this is one small example of many that demonstrate how music like Tool's can stimulate my brain and bring about intriguing thoughts that otherwise would've been missed.

eulogy09
06-20-2006, 10:20 AM
doesnt it slow down in the end though? thats not like the right half of a U-shaped parabola

BrokeN_Naols
06-21-2006, 10:33 PM
justa little thought. maybe the 'U'shape should be the other way round.

Would make a lot more sense.