PDA

View Full Version : As the song sounds to me...

BigTool
06-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Many of the words I recognize (verbally) though I could not tell you what they mean nor could I begin to spell out the words correctly.

The song is either Apache or Navajo -- I say it may be Navajo because I have heard their words and they have very long words, heavy on vowels, and few consanants in the words.

A' Hayanai Tai A' Hayanai Coaoi is what sounds familiar (what some say sounds like it ends in Tool and Cool). Hayanai Tai is a phrase I've heard frequently at pow-wows and they never heard of Tool.

The quietness of the song combined with the ceremonial bells used in the background and the shortness of the song suggest that this may be a prayer sung in sweat lodges, which is also more Navajo than Apache.

The comment that it could suggest modern world competing with Native American traditions is right on. Last year there was a major push in Arizona for Native Americans to return to their prayers in the sweat lodges with their families to overcome the filth of the white man that has led to so much alcoholism and abuse within the family system. So the song could be representative of the fight against modern man to return to the old ways to seek calm within the self and the family.

Later.