PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Amber Ego

Jimmeny
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Here we go, I critique others so it's only fair people have the chance to hear me too.

So yeah, that's my pseudonym, and my music page is in my signature, but here it is in big writing!
http://www.myspace.com/twilightamberego

Feel free to devour and criticise - if I didn't want it, I wouldn't have posted it. If you can, try and look beyond the flaws in it and see the intention behind it. After all, I produced my album myself, as part of a Music Degree course, so it's nothing completely professional.

Anyone on myspace, feel free to add me, send me messages etc etc.

If you happen to like it, anyone can have my album for nothing.

Thanks.

vesica_piscis
06-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Mate that is some realy cool stuff there... reminds me a little of Porcupine Tree. with just the right level of metal!!

I added ya on myspace.

Jimmeny
06-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Hey thanks.

Topping this post to say, I've put my album on Soundclick.

www.soundclick.com/twilightamberego

Have a listen.

Still using myspace for connectivity, so feel free to add me there.

Jimmeny
07-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Thought I'd top this to say I've put some new songs on myspace, and my whole album is (still) streamable on soundclick :) (you dont need to register to stream)

dark_Speedo
07-10-2006, 04:34 PM
So far I've listened to 'Enlght'. I can hear some Deftones influences, as well as some porcupine tree as stated above ^. I like the riff and the breakdown to acoustic was pretty awesome. Even though it was a good song i think it could have been great by adding a prechorus or something to give it some variety. The same two riffs got boring fast. Bridge is pretty good as well.

Jimmeny
07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for listening.

In previous efforts I'd been criticised for throwing in too many ideas to the extent that it became unfocussed. Which was a fair criticism. So in this stuff I've wanted to focus things abit more. Part of the craft of songwriting is infact creating something that sounds like a complete body of work rather than a mishmash of decent ideas like my old stuff was.

Maybe that's what you mean by the same two riffs, but I'm abit confused, as you suggest adding a prechorus, when there is; there are 3 riffs. It starts with an intro in 7, then a chorus in 8 (which is actually 7 over drums in 8, so it feels like an organic progression), then it goes into the verse. Then the intro riff of 7 I use as a prechorus ("through experience I see there's more for me to further myself in all I do"), before going into the verse riff for one progression and then into the chorus. These then repeat. But I tried to change it up abit by removing the return to verse the second time.

Technically Enlight is 2 sections put together and segued by the acoustic section, and yeah it's the same riff for the last 3 mins, maybe that's the bit you refer to as getting boring, which is fair comment.

vesica_piscis
07-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Man that post was like a "Magicians Tricks Revealed" show...

Just say "Yeah mate, thanks for the tip" and continue to do what you do - you don't have to explain your songs. It's like when someone explains a joke - it's no longer funny.
I like the 7 over eight idea tho - I love 5 over 6 myself! I reckon droppping a beat every bar on the guitars while keeping a recognisable drum beat that people can follow makes for good grooves in odd times.

MarcDrums
07-15-2006, 11:25 PM
im totally digging Joycean Supposition

i love the groove man... very very cool..

some of the heavier stuff reminds me of meshuggah.. amazing man, keep it up

Jimmeny
07-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Heh Vesica, I like talking about what I do :P I really only went into detail because I didn't know what two riffs Dark Speedo was talking of.

Thanks for listening guys.

Tyro
07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
You have talent, I'll certainly say that. I love the whole mix between off time rythms and post-rock/post-metal. My biggest gripe is the lack of drum dynamics. They help the flow, but not the progression.

So far, I've only listened to Enlight. Will listen more.

Joycean Supposition - Hrm, happier, softer, more post-rocky. Drums work better on this track. Reminds me of ATDI on uppers. Nice job, but, it's not my favorite of the two so far.

Dimensions of Innovation - Perhaps my favorite. Nice flow and progression, vocals fit very well. Perhaps try some double bass at the very end.

Crucify Sighs - Not bad. Uplifting feeling, but the vocals were slightly above average for me.

All in all, I really see you ranging from Enslaved, Arcturus, and Meshuggah to Red Sparowes, ATDI, and Godspeed You Black Emperor. Keep writing, you make some epic stuff.

Jimmeny
07-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah mate, thanks for the tips. :D

Thanks for the feedback Tyro. I'm not a vocalist and when I put a band together I will only play guitar and do backing vocals. I don't claim to be a singer, it's just that the songs are pretty individual and (to most) are fairly complex, so teaching someone to sing them would have been very hard.

Perhaps you could listen to Kaleidemote (http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4082062&q=hi) on my soundclick? It used to be on my myspace and it got the most positive feedback, I just put Enlight on there to change it up abit, but I guess Kaleidemote is my best vocal work and alround most successful song I've done up to now. I think if I had hit the vocals properly on Crucifying Sighs it would have come off alot more professionally and they let it down.

Tyro
07-17-2006, 04:04 PM
That was the only track in which I felt the vocals were lacking. Note though, that I did not say bad. Just lacking. Your tone is good, I like how sometimes you harmonize with yourself, and with that said, don't under any means think that I think you are a bad singer.

*off to give kaleidemote a listen*

And, give me time, as I've been working on some of my own stuff.

Tyro
07-17-2006, 04:09 PM
So far I really like the direction you are heading with this. Solid core, could use some polish, but I dig a lot.

Jimmeny
07-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks very much for taking so much time to listen!

Tyro
07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Sometimes you have a beautiful piece and you end up going right into a chuga chuga guitar part. Now, sometimes that works just for a straight up change of pace, but try transition sometimes (when it fits) by keeping some of the prettier elements slightly mixed into the heavy parts for a transition, but ultimatley, you have to know.

Tyro
07-29-2006, 03:43 PM
You will be big one day, I believe. Keep persisting. I relistened to Kaliedemote just now, and it hit me like a sack of bricks. In a good way.

Jimmeny
07-29-2006, 05:20 PM
:O thanks alot! The best compliment is a true reaction. I'm pleased you like it.

Jimmeny
08-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Thought I'd just top this to say I have a PureVolume (www.purevolume.com/twilightamberego) site now, if anyone wants to add me! Cheers.