PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stoned Personality Test

deuceman
06-16-2006, 02:29 AM
What type of Tool fan likes this song, and why? I think it would be interesting to see a breakdown (for want of a better word) of this. Actually, I have no fucking idea why, it just occurred to me whilst driving home.

Muladhara
06-16-2006, 02:53 AM
I drink every now and then, but I wouldn't count myself as "Drunker the better" so I guess I have to go with option 1, though, it's not really descriptive either.

deuceman
06-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Oh well, there goes my theory that people who like this song are under various narcotic influences!

ThreeDeviations
06-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Probably because the song really isn't about drugs.. and maybe only the people who are pure and natural are clear enough to see through the smoke.

Terry21
06-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Drunker the better. Allthough I didn't listen to Tool when I was drunk yet.

Terry21
06-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Probably because the song really isn't about drugs.. and maybe only the people who are pure and natural are clear enough to see through the smoke.

Truth.

Except that you're wrong.

Nate-Dogg85
06-16-2006, 07:43 AM
I dont know if you guys know anything about Erowid.org... Its a web site, drug database. They have monthly newsletters, that my brother was subscribed to, and in it they were comparing drugs now, to drugs a long time ago. It actually, didnt surprise me that drugs are not as big as they were in the 70's, but more of how few people have even TRIED substances at all. Maybe its cuz i grew up in a town where all we did was drink and smoke weed, and occasionally experiment with other things, but man america is turning straight edge. Even when i went to college, i was utterly surprised at how many people were so opposed to drugs, even WEED (which is a joke for a drug, imo) I guess if you want to find drugs, the only thing you can do anymore is go to the streets, or the rave scene, or hollywood.

So... although tool has alot of pothead/tripper fans, im sure the straight edges will prevail in this one. The druggies are either too fucked up to listen to tool, or theyre listening to house/technu music.

swampyfool
06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
I dont know if you guys know anything about Erowid.org... Its a web site, drug database. They have monthly newsletters, that my brother was subscribed to, and in it they were comparing drugs now, to drugs a long time ago. It actually, didnt surprise me that drugs are not as big as they were in the 70's, but more of how few people have even TRIED substances at all. Maybe its cuz i grew up in a town where all we did was drink and smoke weed, and occasionally experiment with other things, but man america is turning straight edge. Even when i went to college, i was utterly surprised at how many people were so opposed to drugs, even WEED (which is a joke for a drug, imo) I guess if you want to find drugs, the only thing you can do anymore is go to the streets, or the rave scene, or hollywood.

So... although tool has alot of pothead/tripper fans, im sure the straight edges will prevail in this one. The druggies are either too fucked up to listen to tool, or theyre listening to house/technu music.
Where the hell did you go to college? Oral Roberts? Shit, man. It's like Isaac Hayes once said (pre-scientology blowup), "Children, there's a time and a place for all that. It's called college." I find that perspective to be limited, personally. But seriously college is full of drugs, and if your campus was devoid, then maybe you stepped into The Twilight Zone and emerged to tell about it. As for the studies, a large percentage of drug users are somewhat paranoid- the rest are aparently stupid, ignorant or naive- as THEY are after us (somebody gets arrested for pot an average of once every fifteen seconds in this country). I'm not so paranoid that I won't answer honestly on a survey (depending on the source), but as for the rest of America . . .

By the way, I went with tripper, though pothead would have been possible.

swampyfool
06-16-2006, 09:12 AM
[CENSORED]

hbynoe
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
straight

however i enjoy it drunk and fucked up..with that said i think
it is also for a tool fan who has been following them for a long time
to get the self reflexive parts of it :)

Nate-Dogg85
06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Where the hell did you go to college? Oral Roberts? Shit, man. It's like Isaac Hayes once said (pre-scientology blowup), "Children, there's a time and a place for all that. It's called college." I find that perspective to be limited, personally. But seriously college is full of drugs, and if your campus was devoid, then maybe you stepped into The Twilight Zone and emerged to tell about it. As for the studies, a large percentage of drug users are somewhat paranoid- the rest are aparently stupid, ignorant or naive- as THEY are after us (somebody gets arrested for pot an average of once every fifteen seconds in this country). I'm not so paranoid that I won't answer honestly on a survey (depending on the source), but as for the rest of America . . .

By the way, I went with tripper, though pothead would have been possible.

I expected just about everyone to be alright with drugs in college, but it turned out that most of the people i hung around never even had tried pot. I didnt say there were drugs... I just said that i was surprised by the amount of people who were against it. I found plenty of people who were into drugs, but i was disappointed with the numbers is all i was saying.

Aunt Acid
06-16-2006, 09:23 AM
I trip.

Aunt Acid
06-16-2006, 09:26 AM

If this song weren't about drugs the only people it would fool are the people who don't do them. Those who listen to it tripping would have some sort of revalation only brought fourth because of the drugs their on and realize "Holy Shit, the song is about eating too much Krispy Kremes".

ThreeDeviations
06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
If this song weren't about drugs the only people it would fool are the people who don't do them. Those who listen to it tripping would have some sort of revalation only brought fourth because of the drugs their on and realize "Holy Shit, the song is about eating too much Krispy Kremes".

You mosh?

Drop, drip, drop, drip.

He just said Krispy Kreme dude!

(Whatever makes ya feel better, son.)

bored&numb
06-16-2006, 10:15 AM
i'm looking at the back of a 20 dollar bill right now.

Aunt Acid
06-16-2006, 10:16 AM
You mosh?

Drop, drip, drop, drip.

WHAT?!

stevejols
06-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Truth.

Except that you're wrong.

Yeah, remember when the song talks about drugs? Like referencing them. And also how the song is completley about a drug experience?

stevejols
06-16-2006, 12:17 PM

People who trip and listen to Tool are badasses. I mean pot/tool is easy to handle but when you lsd it up and listen its kind of hard but rewarding.... unless you have nothing going up in that noggin' of yours......

littlejason
06-16-2006, 12:19 PM
ive done Tool stoned and on Absinthe. Let me tell you Salival + Absinthe = fun for all and all for fun!

10,000 Days stoned could've been better, wasn't quite the right atmosphere.

Typical
06-16-2006, 01:12 PM
at some point in my life, i could have been any one of those (except number 5 of course). i think this poll is quite flawed though, simply because labeling people into categories is just inherently wrong. i'll add myself into category number 6: "did lots of drugs in high school and college but now only smokes and drinks occasionally"

but what irks me more is how much closed mindedness i've already seen in here.

if you're a complete straightedge who's never touched a drug in your life, and you automatically condemn every person that has done drugs to be a drooling lump of worthlessness, you're quite closeminded.

if you've done drugs, and feel they are absolutely necessary to achieve certain states of mind, and think you're better than someone who's never done drugs because you're more "enlightened," then you're just as closeminded.

anyway, enough with my rant.

i like (LOVE) this song for several reasons. first of all, it absolutely rocks the fuck out for 11 minutes, switching time signatures and tempos while the singer exhibits multiple uses of his disgustingly talented voice and lyric writing ability. druggie, straightedge, or whatever you are in between, you can't deny those things. additionally though, it's an absolutely brilliant first person narrative of an acid trip gone wrong, and also a great paradox (did he really get abducted by aliens or did he just trip that hard?). and that's only the "on the surface" meaning of this song, i'm still trying to figure out the "deeper" meaning, if there is one.

@ threedeviations: #1 and #4 are WAAAAAY more likely to be the ones elbowing you (and me) in the head than #2 and #3. tripping + mosh pit = NOT good. and potheads don't mosh.

ThreeDeviations
06-16-2006, 03:00 PM
if you're a complete straightedge who's never touched a drug in your life, and you automatically condemn every person that has done drugs to be a drooling lump of worthlessness, you're quite closeminded.

It's not that I think every drug fuck is fucked up.

It's these people who think drugs are necessary in order to understand or appreciate Tool.

or even "wooooaaa dude, I listened to Rosetta when I was phuckin' trippin... i had to pull off to the side of the road it was sooo intense maaan!"

swampyfool
06-16-2006, 04:15 PM
#1 and #4 are WAAAAAY more likely to be the ones elbowing you (and me) in the head than #2 and #3. tripping + mosh pit = NOT good. and potheads don't mosh.
I am a 2 and a 3 (and so much more- you cannot categorize somebody by the substances they ingest), and I mosh like a beast, SON. I guess not so much anymore (gettin' old, haha), but I can still drop some damage if motivated. Psychedelics and mosh pits can mix very well because sometimes in that zone, you gain a modicum of fluidity- in that you are better at dodging potentially hazardous, projectile people; and when you hit the ground you're more able to roll with it and spring right back up in one motion, uninjured. Obviously, that's not always true- sometimes when you are tripping, the last thing that you need is a sweaty forearm across the face . . . As for potheads don't mosh . . . That's just fuckin' crazy. I've been handed a joint in a moshpit before (granted, I didn't hit it because moshpit joints might be more likely to have a bit of PCP or some other nonsense in them), and I don't know as I've ever moshed without being stoned.

deuceman
06-16-2006, 05:47 PM
I think this poll is quite flawed though, simply because labeling people into categories is just inherently wrong. i'll add myself into category number 6: "did lots of drugs in high school and college but now only smokes and drinks occasionally"

but what irks me more is how much closed mindedness i've already seen in here.

It is flawed, yes, but the intention was to see if there was any category that stood out from the others. I've seen lots of people in these forums who love the song(s), and I wanted to determine if those people were potheads, or acid freaks, etc.

For my part I probably also fit into category 6. I listen to this song, the whole album, etc in different states of mind, most often straight and without influences. That in itself provides me with enjoyment because there are different experiences and interpretations depending on your head space at the time. That could even amount to being happy or sad.....

tbrent21
06-16-2006, 06:48 PM
I have always listened to Tool totally sober, in fact the one time I recall listening to "Lateralus" the song, my favorite at the time, with a friend when I was drunk off my ass, it just sounded awful, like a bunch of banging around. I have been trying to get that particular friend into Tool for many years, to no avail, and putting on that song that night did me no good. He was being nice about it afterward, but it obviously didn't click at all.

I would speculate without knowing since I haven't gotten high since college and that's a hell of a long time ago now, that Tool would sound a whole lot better stoned than after getting loaded.

Metalgod666
06-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Drunker the better or Pot Head. Rosetta Stoned is awesome. I have listened to Aenima on weed once, it was pretty cool haha

Aunt Acid
06-16-2006, 08:11 PM
It's not that I think every drug fuck is fucked up.

It's these people who think drugs are necessary in order to understand or appreciate Tool.

or even "wooooaaa dude, I listened to Rosetta when I was phuckin' trippin... i had to pull off to the side of the road it was sooo intense maaan!"

I'm not saying they're nessisary, but you're full on denying this song is about a guy tripping on acid.

deuceman
06-16-2006, 09:16 PM
I have always listened to Tool totally sober, in fact the one time I recall listening to "Lateralus" the song, my favorite at the time, with a friend when I was drunk off my ass, it just sounded awful, like a bunch of banging around. I have been trying to get that particular friend into Tool for many years, to no avail, and putting on that song that night did me no good. He was being nice about it afterward, but it obviously didn't click at all.

I would speculate without knowing since I haven't gotten high since college and that's a hell of a long time ago now, that Tool would sound a whole lot better stoned than after getting loaded.

Agree. Listening to Tool when you're drunk off your ass is meaningless, unless it's purely to enjoy the music without wanting to "think" about the music.

Listening to Tool when you're stoned is meaninful. Unfortunately sometimes it can be too meaningful and become a bit freaky / paranoid. But it definitely sharpens the senses.

I haven't done acid for 10 years or more, and I have no intention of doing it 'cause those days are behind me. I imagine listening to Tool while on acid could be tempting fate.

Typical
06-17-2006, 04:14 AM
I am a 2 and a 3 (and so much more- you cannot categorize somebody by the substances they ingest), and I mosh like a beast, SON. I guess not so much anymore (gettin' old, haha), but I can still drop some damage if motivated. Psychedelics and mosh pits can mix very well because sometimes in that zone, you gain a modicum of fluidity- in that you are better at dodging potentially hazardous, projectile people; and when you hit the ground you're more able to roll with it and spring right back up in one motion, uninjured. Obviously, that's not always true- sometimes when you are tripping, the last thing that you need is a sweaty forearm across the face . . . As for potheads don't mosh . . . That's just fuckin' crazy. I've been handed a joint in a moshpit before (granted, I didn't hit it because moshpit joints might be more likely to have a bit of PCP or some other nonsense in them), and I don't know as I've ever moshed without being stoned.

haha dude i give you props. i guess i overgeneralized. a mosh pit is, personally, the last place I'D like to be if i was trippin. but i'm not a violent person in the slightest.

and also, i didn't mean people in moshpits don't smoke weed. when i say pothead, i mean someone who just smokes lots of pot, and doesn't really do any other drug. those people are usually fairly calm, and not the type that would pass you a pcp joint. but from my experience, the craziest, mosh-pittin-ist people i've known through my life have either been completely straightedge or raging drinkers.

i fully agree with what you said about the whole fluidity of movement thing though.

savelints8
06-17-2006, 06:59 AM
#1 for me. Drugs are not my friend.

Nate-Dogg85
06-17-2006, 08:41 AM
People who trip and listen to Tool are badasses. I mean pot/tool is easy to handle but when you lsd it up and listen its kind of hard but rewarding.... unless you have nothing going up in that noggin' of yours......

Once you begin to get more and more experienced with mushrooms, you can handle a lot more things during your trip. I've done mushrooms over 30 times, and once i started to gain experience with them, i rarely had unperfect trips, and i even began to learn how to enter public while tripping. Being around people is a real downer while you're tripping... but once you get experience you can 'handle' it a little bit more. I always reccomend finding a open field, or vacant forest to trip in, then you will have not a worry in the world.

turok2step
06-18-2006, 03:13 AM
I went through a period of about for months that whenever I smoked pot, I HAD to listen to Third Eye. I either toted the cd around with me everywhere, or downloaded on friends computers. Then I dropped acid and listened to the same song. Now I CANNOT listen to Third Eye when I'm stoned because I feel it disgraces that experience I had with it when I heard it on acid.

eulogy09
06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
like many others, #1.

ArizonaBay
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
#1 for me. Drugs are not my friend.

lol they are not mine either.

DON IOTAE
06-19-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm more of a straight and natural guy. But sometimes I do get drunk and it's fuckin' awesome. Not really into Pot, of other hard drugs. Rosetta Stoned is a great fuckin' ssong.

formerlycontent
06-26-2006, 01:29 AM
i'm straight, but i'm drunk *confused*

Sprry75
06-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Number one, but only because I can't find any dealers.

slowmo
06-26-2006, 09:00 AM
You mosh?

Drop, drip, drop, drip.

By reading your posts it is rather easy to distinguish the fact that you are highly opinionated (close minded) and condescending. Why do you try to belittle people? Does your ego need some inflating? Why don't you go date a hot chick, or buy a fancy sports car instead?
So far I have gathered that your opinion of any person (or Tool fan) that has done drugs or moshes, is about as deep is a as an empty sink, and more dull-minded than an imbred monkey.

YES this is an opinion forum. But man, you really need to look outside the box.

I get in the pit sometimes; does that make me an idiot? If you have never been in the mosh pit, you probably wouldn't know that it's not that bad of a place. Seems like the common belief is that if going into the pit is going to leave you a bloody bruised mess of a human. (very untrue) Viewing a show from all angles makes for a truly well rounded experience.

Trade in your condescending, opinionated ego for some real world thinking. There is a lot more going on out here, outside of the box.

I feel that YOU are the type of Tool fan Maynard is frustrated with.

Warartist
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I love this song and I don't do drugs... Anymore.

anoimnn
06-27-2006, 04:44 AM
I don't like the song, and I'm desperate for drugs. So I voted the last choice, when I am actually choice #1, only because I can't be choice #whatever-pot-was.

wearethestories
06-27-2006, 12:59 PM
What type of Tool fan likes this song, and why? I think it would be interesting to see a breakdown (for want of a better word) of this. Actually, I have no fucking idea why, it just occurred to me whilst driving home.
check out paraflux's "the fluxterpretation of 10,000 Days" that's stickied at the bottom of the album forum.