PDA

View Full Version : Disposition's Pertinence to Will

Pushit666
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
I think the placement of this song in the context of the album has a critical effect on its meaning. Lateralus, to me, is a song of hope and of excitement; it epitomizes life at its apex. Disposition seems to be the song for when the excitement has worn down for the moment.

Think of Lateralus as a beautiful dream. Then think of Disposition as the dream ending and being awaken on a sure-to-be idle rainy day in isolation. "Watch the weather change," watch life's moods swift rapidly.

I feel that Lateralus is also, in a broad sense, about attaining your life's desires. This affects one's disposition largely. Now imagine being truly happy having attained your life's will while going through that inevitable idleness. Your disposition is static; you're satisfied. You find yourself in an odd state. Though you're undergoing downtime, you're experiencing a peculiar feeling of satisfaction and happiness. For the happiness you have in your life (if is true and life-long) is conducive to the happiness in moments seemingly unaffected by its presence. You might be the farthest possible from your will or you might have attained it, you'll still find yourself in identical situations. What separates the former from the latter is that the latter can be said to be happy nonetheless, knowing life is meaningful. The former, in contrast, is reserved to wistful introspection, wondering why life is so dissatisfying, what they're doing wrong, etc. This introspection is the root of Reflection, which is the extension of the latter group.

Society moves through the flux of life largely unaware of its own desires. The attainment of which is never pursued, therefore, because of lack of direction. I think Lateralus, on the whole, seeks the uncovering of this will through introspection. And of course, the end for those who don't find this is shown in Faaip de Oiad. In the art we see "god" imprinted in the man's brain. "God" is fulfillment. Ability to find fulfillment is by searching the confines of the mind, which is the residence of all desire.

Impatient215
07-12-2006, 04:13 AM
I have struggled to see the significance of Disposition in terms of where it fits in on Lateralus, specifically between the songs Lateralus and Reflection. Your interpretation is on point, IMO. The only thing I am unclear about in your post is the last sentence of the second paragraph. You state "This introspection is the root of Reflection, which is the extension of the latter group." The latter group was attaining your will, of happiness despite reliving identical situations, of knowing life is meaningful, and the former was of wistful introspection, of wondering why life was dissatifying. You said the introspection is the root of Reflection, but the only time you spoke of introspection was when you applied it to the wistful thinking part. Are you saying that Reflection is introspection in terms of knowing life is meaningful, or wondering why life is dissatisfying?

Pushit666
07-15-2006, 08:35 AM
"This introspection is the root of Reflection, which is the extension of the latter group."

I typed "latter group." It should've been "former group." You're correct. The latter group, in this description, has no extension on Lateralus. Reflection, for the former group, is a deeply-felt, last-ditch effort to improve things. It's called Disposition essentially because it's a reflection of the listener's disposition. It's a unique song because the feel of it mirrors the disposition of the audience. The former group listens and is drawn to a sort of wistful introspection, being far away from the will. For the latter group it's not so; as they "watch the weather change" they're living fulfillingly, whereas the former group's changing seasons mean more unfulfilled living.

AMF
07-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Fuck this album is good. Fucking, good.

Pushit666
07-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Isn't it?

Impatient215
07-17-2006, 04:40 AM
That makes total sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Just makes me appreciate the music even more.

krayziebone
07-27-2006, 12:04 AM
I strongly agree with pushit666 when he says the song elicits a feel of a sure to be rainy day in isolation. i cant help but add that i feel positive feelings towards such a situation while listening to the song. The song brings out a calm, contemplative, free state of mind for me and I apreciate how it sort of kills everything else for a moment and leaves only the rain, isolation and clear thoughts on the subject of nothing.

HelenA
08-30-2006, 02:27 AM
I have only just 'discovered' this song - I am new to Tool and have spent most of my time wallowing in 10,000 days. But this is such a great song it has yanked me back into Lateralus. And I thought I would wander through the 'search' function and see what 'we' thought about it, and I am so glad I did. This is very helpful.

The song does have a strong contemplative, satisfied feel to it. It has a feeling of lolling around a cool, verandah in a kind of sensual haze thinking "Yeah lets talk about anything" and watch the weather change. All the time in the world for life and conversation and peace. It has an "all is well with the world" feel (which is unusual in a Tool album). I just love it - it reminds me of "Right in Two".

tooltgle
09-01-2006, 12:20 AM
The song does have a strong contemplative, satisfied feel to it. It has a feeling of lolling around a cool, verandah in a kind of sensual haze thinking "Yeah lets talk about anything" and watch the weather change. All the time in the world for life and conversation and peace. It has an "all is well with the world" feel (which is unusual in a Tool album). I just love it - it reminds me of "Right in Two".

precisely my take on it.

HelenA
09-01-2006, 02:04 AM
precisely my take on it.

It is the perfect balance/resolution after the thoughtfulness and relentless analysis of Lateralus. It kind of illustrates what can happen if you try to grow through the changes described in Lateralus. After that emotional journey you get the reward of gentle clarity and relief. Like the cool breezes of a thunderstorm after a hot day.

couldbe
09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
i see interpretations of 1 line in the song, i'm curious what maynard wants mentioned to him. i'm clueless, any thoughts?

HelenA
09-22-2006, 03:15 AM
I think it is eaxctly what he says: mention this, something, anything to me. It seems to me that after all the creative angst of Lateralus we can afford to take time out to just relax and exchange pleasantries. I know pleasantries and Tool don't go together very well but if there ever was a time for a gentle reflection then THIS would be the time. After the relentless energy of Lateralus it is a good time, a fine time, maybe the ONLY time to: loll around here for a while and chat about whatever comes to mind - doesn't need to be deep. Time for you and me. Let's just relax, talk and watch the weather change.

I absolutely LOVE this song. It is my newly discovered gem. So gorgeous.

base metal
10-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, I love this song too. You go girl!